Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Alright. Not having MIDI out on the Nanostudio isn't that much of a dealbreaker seeing as it does everything else for such a tiny price tag. I can work around that or just get the second iPad somewhere down the line, no big deal.

Goddamn I'm getting a bit too excited about this. I could apparently just get the iPad, a powered USB hub and the controllers and I'd be pretty much all set, and selling just a part of my hardware would already pay for that. Maybe it's best if I finish my current album before I start getting into this, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Owning an iPad is really great in many ways, so I would just sell as much gear as necessary to buy one iPad and then just try it out and see how it works for you. Let us know your experiences with it then :)

Edit: I can imagine a setup with an MPC, a MIDI Keyboad and two iPads would work really well. Do drums and sequencing on the MPC and use the iPads for various synths.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

Owning an iPad is really great in many ways, so I would just sell as much gear as necessary to buy one iPad and then just try it out and see how it works for you.

This. They're great for music apps and stuff, but they're still pretty limited compared to a real DAW. Don't throw out all your gear just yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nanostudio has an OSX/Windows build available too if you want to preview it and see if it'll fit into your workflow.

It's not super great with a mouse though.. it's clearly designed to be on a touch interface and the desktop ports don't try to clean it up at all.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm definitely going with just buying an iPad first and seeing how poo poo works. Luckily I have enough money that I don't need to start selling my hardware right away.

xzzy posted:

Nanostudio has an OSX/Windows build available too if you want to preview it and see if it'll fit into your workflow.

It's not super great with a mouse though.. it's clearly designed to be on a touch interface and the desktop ports don't try to clean it up at all.

Hey, this was a good idea, thanks! Checking this thing out now, seems really cool and pretty intuitive as well. Definitely not meant for a mouse, like you said, but I can imagine how this would work with a touch screen.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 14, 2013

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I use mine more like a sound module since I was one of those fools excited by the Roland VariOS back in the days. The Korg and PPG apps alone are worth the price of admission imo. Plus they're all so drat cheap, it's crazy.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just checked out Waldorf's Nave synth and it's amazing. It has a really nice interface and sounds awesome! You can also map custom MIDI CC's to several parameters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obJCe-omDaU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

FLX posted:

I just checked out Waldorf's Nave synth and it's amazing. It has a really nice interface and sounds awesome! You can also map custom MIDI CC's to several parameters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obJCe-omDaU

Hell's yeah, it's pretty much the best synth for iOS at the moment.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
TC-11 is really cool but the patch editing is about a million miles over my head :saddowns:

Basically at my level of expertise it's a cool noisemaker toy... It's way too powerful for me. Oh well, I've spent $30 on worse things and maybe someday I'll learn to use it well.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:siren: Propellerheads released Reason's Thor synth on the iPad!
http://appshopper.com/music/thor-polysonic-synthesizer

Its patches are cross-compatible with the computer version!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was kind of set on buying Nanostudio when I finally get that iPad, but the iPolySix is starting to look better and better. It'd probably fit my sound better, seeing as it's kind of like a souped-up version of my beloved KORG DS-10, which is where my music got its start.

Questions: The drum parts can obviously be used for synth purposes as well, but can those sounds and their parametres be controlled in real time when a song is being played back? Also, can I control one synth's knobs on the iPad screen while playing a second one with an external MIDI keyboard?

Kind of bizarre how the manual says literally nothing about MIDI in that thing.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 28, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Kind of bizarre how the manual says literally nothing about MIDI in that thing.

Well, it's an iPad app v:shobon:v

I'll try it out later and report back.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Questions: The drum parts can obviously be used for synth purposes as well, but can those sounds and their parametres be controlled in real time when a song is being played back? Also, can I control one synth's knobs on the iPad screen while playing a second one with an external MIDI keyboard?

Drum parts can be played and tweaked while the song is running. The manual doesn't specify MIDI CC# for the drum parameters though and I haven't managed to use my MIDI controller for anything else than triggering drum parts with the keyboard (MIDI channels 3-8). The Synth parts however can both be played and tweaked with an external controller (MIDI CC# for various parameters are written in the back of the manual). You can control one synth externally and the other one on the iPad's touchscreen. :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Drum parts can be played and tweaked while the song is running. The manual doesn't specify MIDI CC# for the drum parameters though and I haven't managed to use my MIDI controller for anything else than triggering drum parts with the keyboard (MIDI channels 3-8). The Synth parts however can both be played and tweaked with an external controller (MIDI CC# for various parameters are written in the back of the manual). You can control one synth externally and the other one on the iPad's touchscreen. :)

Fantastic, thank you so much! Definitely going with the Polysix, then, at least to start with. Dem apps so cheap I'll probably try everything at some point.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, I bought the iPad a couple of days ago. Probably shouldn't have since I still need to finish my album on my hardware setup, but whatever I guess.

I ended up buying both the iPolysix and NanoStudio and I've now played around with them for a bit. Still not sure what I should start delving deeper into, since both have their advantages and disadvantages, but here are some impressions of both:

iPolysix:

+ sounds lovely!
+ the synth itself felt instantly familiar for me.
+ I've always actually liked analog-style drums more than sample-based ones, so that's a plus
+ just about everything can be automated which is p. amazing
+ lots of decent effects, and you even get some surprising ones in the mix like a decimator
- it is NOT possible to tweak drum sounds while a song is playing, FLX! Makes sense, though, seeing as it would somehow have to sample them in real time. This also explains why the drum patch parametres don't have CC values!
- the non-assignable MIDI CCs are kind of a bummer
- only one effect per synth plus one master effect is a bit limiting (yes, the drum patches have two, but those are different since they aren't real-time effects and are sampled into the drum sound instead)
- can't use your synth patches in the drum parts and vice versa. Weird.
- recording notes seems pretty iffy at times, it's like the thing quantizes my notes way off or something. Maybe I just need to get accustomed to it.
- no undo (:what:) also doesn't help the problems I have with the recording
- the step sequencer buttons are a pain in the rear end to deal with with fingers. Maybe I need to get one of them stylus thingies.
- here's a big one: the iPolysix actually resembles the DS-10 in more ways than I imagined in that while the drums seem to stay the same in every pattern in a project, each and every pattern actually has its own two synths that don't carry over to the next one. This can be a problem at times, like if I want to tweak a synth in real time, the knob positions won't carry over to the next pattern.
+ ...but it really does sound lovely

NanoStudio

+ full-featured like a motherfucker when compared to the iPolysix
+ it's possible to chain tons of effects into any and all channels = cool
+ MIDI coming outta its rear end!

-/+ not sure what I think of the sequencer. On the one hand it's somewhat confusing and the UI is frustratingly small, but on the other hand I think it has some decent editing possibilities. Maybe I just need more time with it. I like purely step-based systems more than the time/step hybrid thing NanoStudio has going on.
- the recording seems pretty weird here as well, although better than the iPolysix. Then again, maybe I just need more time to get to grips with both the timing as well as the iPad touch screen itself.
- the UI isn't the most intuitive thing ever. Some functions are hidden away in weird places.

and the biggest cons:
- not really a huge fan of how the Eden synth sounds and works.
- sample-based drums :rolleyes:

Also why don't these things have loving step recording jesus christ :argh:

So I guess I need to choose between a program that sounds more like what I want it to sound like but that has some pretty severe limitations, or one that is more full-featured and has less limitations but doesn't quite sound like I want it to :/

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 4, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

- it is NOT possible to tweak drum sounds while a song is playing, FLX! Makes sense, though, seeing as it would somehow have to sample them in real time. This also explains why the drum patch parametres don't have CC values!

drat, you're right! It actually mutes the synth part when switching to the drum parts while the song is playing. Sorry about that! It does however continue to play the drum parts and I can edit them while they are playing. At least it looks/sounds that way.

About the rest:

FLX posted:

Well, it's an iPad app v:shobon:v

You definitely have to get used to the iPad's interfaces (and disable the four-finger swipe gesture to switch between apps). The iPad synth apps are best used as single instruments, which are played and sequenced with external hardware. If you want awesome synth drums get the iElectribe, which is basically an exact copy of an ER-1 plus some additional features.

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006

Well, I bought the iPad a couple of days ago. Probably shouldn't have since I still need to finish my album on my hardware setup, but whatever I guess.

I ended up buying both the iPolysix and NanoStudio and I've now played around with them for a bit. Still not sure what I should start delving deeper into, since both have their advantages and disadvantages, but here are some impressions of

So I guess I need to choose between a program that sounds more like what I want it to sound like but that has some pretty severe limitations, or one that is more full-featured and has less limitations but doesn't quite sound like I want it to :/

Look into Audiobus; you can record from the ipolysix into NanoStudio. I do this with Cubasis and it works very well.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Pulling sound around from one app into the next is for sure how you bring ipad music apps from the next level up. You can truly go crazy with poo poo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

You definitely have to get used to the iPad's interfaces (and disable the four-finger swipe gesture to switch between apps). The iPad synth apps are best used as single instruments, which are played and sequenced with external hardware.

I grabbed a MIDI to USB cable today to try this approach. It works beautifully! I was trying to go for an as minimal setup as possible by getting the iPad, but having the MPC in between isn't that bad. Now I'll get to use the iPolysix's sounds while still controlling them from an interface I already know and that works exactly how I want it to. Plus I don't have to rebuild up all my existing songs from scratch again, which is preeeeeetty great

FLX you are a Cool Guy, thanks!

K-EJ posted:

Look into Audiobus; you can record from the ipolysix into NanoStudio. I do this with Cubasis and it works very well.

This might've been a good idea too, but the MPC solution seems like the better fit for what I need right now :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 5, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Something more or less related: I keep coming back to the ReBirth iPad app. It was one of the first "big" music apps and the interface and sound are still awesome. It's a great app especially when you're on the go and you just want to go nuts in one single app. Dual 303s, plus an 808, plus a 909, plus FX and easy automation of almost everything across a whole song. It makes the iPad into a crazy acid jam machine.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Uhhhh what just happened I downloaded Propellerhead's Figure and now it's three hours later

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Uhhhh what just happened I downloaded Propellerhead's Figure and now it's three hours later

Thy finally added WIST a couple patches ago, so if you've got an iPhone/iPod touch kicking around you can wirelessly sync that poo poo.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, Figure is amazing! You almost can't do anything with it that sounds bad. But this also means that I never really feel like I created the music that I put together in it myself. I kind of prefer iMaschine over it because of that, as "bus ride" iPhone app.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Traktor DJ is currently free on app store! The normal price is 20$

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've been lurking this thread for a long time and it was a big reason I dropped my 10 bux. It's one of the big reasons I got me an iPad.

So I've noticed that a lot of what people seem to do with it tends towards the electronic/dance end of the spectrum, which makes sense since a lot of the iPad stuff lends itself to that, and I've got alot of use out of it in that regard, but I've also found it incredibly useful for less beepy boop. Not quite sure how to put it.

I did this all in GarageBand except the electric ukes and vocals, which I did in Logic. Really, Garageband for iOS is just astoundingly useful, especially now that it has audiobus. https://soundcloud.com/dr-shoggoth/jockohomo

And here's a couple things I did totally in Nanostudio
https://soundcloud.com/dr-shoggoth/cornfields-ready-for
https://soundcloud.com/dr-shoggoth/cold-outside-the-stars-03

Also, Thor has always been one of my favorite synth engines for some reason, and the iPad version is just d-lite-ful.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The IK Multimedia iGrand Piano and iLectric Piano apps are on sale for nearly half their normal price ($12 / 11€ instead of $20 / 18 €) for a couple of weeks!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

For anyone wishing for a nice reverb effect, AUFX:Space has been released.

It's from the same developer that made AudioShare and BitWiz, it's universal and it's only $3.99.

I played around with it, running Animoog and iMini through it, and it sounds pretty loving nice. Easily worth the asking price.

Here's a little demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1a0le-QbA

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hypersleep posted:

For anyone wishing for a nice reverb effect, AUFX:Space has been released.

It's from the same developer that made AudioShare and BitWiz, it's universal and it's only $3.99.

I played around with it, running Animoog and iMini through it, and it sounds pretty loving nice. Easily worth the asking price.

Here's a little demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1a0le-QbA

Thanks, this is fantastic! I really like how the iGrand Piano sounds, but it's definitely lacking in the reverb department. This fixed that problem nicely.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's an illustrated reason why it seems I need to go with NanoStudio or something loving else after all rather than the iPolySix.

I'm playing the exact same beat and the exact same note with all three apps. The note should play at the same time as the drum.

This is on the so-called "low" latency setting. No other apps are running in the background. What the hell, Korg?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 25, 2013

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

iPolysix latency :words:

drat. I was thinking of picking that up soon. I'm on a retro analogue synth spree and my favorites so far are Animoog and iMini thanks to their convincingly thick 70s/80s goodness. How does iPolysix stack up against those two? I would definitely be waiting for the next &14.99 sale to buy it, if I do.

I use Addictive and Magellan as well. I find Magellan's bitcrusher can really add a bit of thick crunchiness to a sterile, obviously digital patch.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Here's an illustrated reason why it seems I need to go with NanoStudio or something loving else after all rather than the iPolySix.

I'm playing the exact same beat and the exact same note with all three apps. The note should play at the same time as the drum.

This is on the so-called "low" latency setting. No other apps are running in the background. What the hell, Korg?

Is it out of sync just for a couple of beats after you press play, or is it off constantly?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Is it out of sync just for a couple of beats after you press play, or is it off constantly?

Nah man, nice idea, but it really is the audio itself that lags. It's constantly off. Just tried it again and confirmed.

edit: Oh man ahahahahahah I just came up with the hackiest loving solution ever! You can shift the timing of sequences on the MPC, so I shifted the iPolysix tracks to play a couple of pulses earlier. And it works! With a BPM of 120 nine pulses on the MPC does the trick. My retard magic loving works. Unbelievable.

...this is NOT something I should have to do resort to, though. That latency is still completely unacceptable. And it doesn't fix the fact that poo poo would be way off if I wanted to play the iPolysix, say, live on the keyboard.

edit2: I just realized this has to be the reason it felt so weird to try to record sequences on the iPolysix.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 26, 2013

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Midi in general is a complete loving disaster on iOS at the moment. Especially anything to do with midi sync across devices or apps. The problem is that the midi standard is completely disregarded and every developer has their own way of implementing it. Korg is one of those offenders, and these guys in particular should know better.

So what we have now is app A won't work well with app B, but it's fine on app C and somewhat works with app D. It's frustrating and sends many people on a fool's errand of troubleshooting something that came broken out of the box. Hopefully iOS 7 will squash all this nonsense.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm only an app at a time because OG but for the record I haven't had any issues with iMS20 or iElectribe syncing via wist or MIDI.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hi guys, I got an iPad a couple of weeks ago and figured I'd try pluggin my guitar into it. I just grabbed an Apogee Jam and so far I've got the free versions of Ampkit and Amplitube to mess around with. Is there any way I can get them to output to a pair of bluetooth headphones? I can get all other audio from the iPad to go to them, but both Ampkit and Amplitube don't seem to want to play. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the sort of thing that isn't supported so far?

Next up, a couple of days a week, we have a DJ come in and play a loungey set for the patio at my work and my boss has been bugging me to play some guitar with him. Do any of you know if there's a way I could run some effects through my iPad (like a delay for example) that could sync up with the program he "DJ's" with on his laptop and beatmatch the effect to the bpm of the track he's playing? Think he uses Traktor but not 100% on that.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Are people still digging Nave now that it's been out for a while? I'm selling my Waldorf Q, and while I'm not going to miss the analog modeling (there are so many good alternatives now), Nave looks like it'll scratch the wavetable itch.

I'm getting a new iPad soonish, so I'm just checking up on what's come along since I last had a supported model. :)

iOS music poo poo has gotten nuts it seems.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nrr posted:

Hi guys, I got an iPad a couple of weeks ago and figured I'd try pluggin my guitar into it. I just grabbed an Apogee Jam and so far I've got the free versions of Ampkit and Amplitube to mess around with. Is there any way I can get them to output to a pair of bluetooth headphones? I can get all other audio from the iPad to go to them, but both Ampkit and Amplitube don't seem to want to play. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the sort of thing that isn't supported so far?

Next up, a couple of days a week, we have a DJ come in and play a loungey set for the patio at my work and my boss has been bugging me to play some guitar with him. Do any of you know if there's a way I could run some effects through my iPad (like a delay for example) that could sync up with the program he "DJ's" with on his laptop and beatmatch the effect to the bpm of the track he's playing? Think he uses Traktor but not 100% on that.

Mm. I have an iRig and that supports (wired) 3.5mm out (and is required since it plugs into your iPad's headphone jack anyway.) There are bluetooth extenders that plug into a 3.5mm jack. Yeah, it involves buying different hardware, but my experience lies with the iRig and not the Jam. I imagine if the solution isn't immediately obvious/google doesn't net you any results, then it's probably not supported.

Lord, GarageBand is nuts, though. I can make a pretty decent song in about 2 hours, go through all the crazy poo poo to get to the raw GarageBand data, and throw it all into Music Creator 6 where I can actually natively polish and extend the song (and I have my own array of VSTs/samples to use.)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Are people still digging Nave now that it's been out for a while? I'm selling my Waldorf Q, and while I'm not going to miss the analog modeling (there are so many good alternatives now), Nave looks like it'll scratch the wavetable itch.

I'm getting a new iPad soonish, so I'm just checking up on what's come along since I last had a supported model. :)

iOS music poo poo has gotten nuts it seems.

I don't own Nave, but I've seen and heard basically nothing but good things about it. You can't go wrong for the price.

The only wavetable synth app I use is Animoog, as I'm a Moog fan, and it's loving awesome. The samples are all sampled directly from actual Moog synths and it's a wonderful sounding synth. I imagine Nave is on a similar level.

I think you'll be quite surprised by what's available for iOS, and the prices. Even an "expensive" synth app at full price ($20 or $30) is much cheaper than a desktop VST instrument plugin.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Anecdotal, but I've been very underwhelmed with Nave. I find it just doesn't sound as good as some other iOS synths and the whole three dimensional wave filter thing is gimmicky and not very musical.

Animoog and Sunrizer are still the best.

Edit: I'm not saying don't buy it, it's still a steal at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Mm. I have an iRig and that supports (wired) 3.5mm out (and is required since it plugs into your iPad's headphone jack anyway.) There are bluetooth extenders that plug into a 3.5mm jack. Yeah, it involves buying different hardware, but my experience lies with the iRig and not the Jam. I imagine if the solution isn't immediately obvious/google doesn't net you any results, then it's probably not supported.

Lord, GarageBand is nuts, though. I can make a pretty decent song in about 2 hours, go through all the crazy poo poo to get to the raw GarageBand data, and throw it all into Music Creator 6 where I can actually natively polish and extend the song (and I have my own array of VSTs/samples to use.)

The Jam plugs into the lightning socket/port instead of the headphone connector, so yes the headphone connector is free to use for headphones but these apps also are capable of outputting audio to the iPad's main speaker as well. It just seems weird to me why any other audio that is played through the speaker or headphones can be routed to bluetooth headphones, yet Ampkit and Amplitube cannot.

Anyway, I also wanted to point out to you peeps that a thing called Quiztones has gone free for this week (normally $5) which is an ear training app that instead of giving you notes/intervals or scales like most other ear trainers I've seen, gives you different frequencies. Either in the form of sine waves, or boosting or cutting certain frequencies on audio clips of a whole variety of instruments. Looks like a really cool training tool for engineers, or anyone who does their own mixing - which I assume is most of this thread, so check it out.

• Locked thread