Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
The Real Texas is the current Indie Game Stand offer, $1 minimum for a Gog key: https://indiegamestand.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lord Lambeth posted:

How clunky are those spiderweb rpgs? I'm tempted but I don't want another arcanum.

Download the demo off their main website, it's like a dozen hours of playtime then if you like it, copy over your saves to the full version.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Shadley Puffin posted:

Haven't played the second, but the first is one of the vanishingly small number of adventure games lately that are not just translated but fully localized in English. UK English, in this case - and one of the main characters is even adorably Welsh! It's a genial sendup of the fantasy genre done with wit, subtlety, and a near-total absence of monkey cheese. Exceptional VA, too, with genuine adults "voice acting as if you're actually speaking" instead of "pitch it like you're twelve and for the love of God, OVERENUNCIATE like it's anime tryout day at the Brain Institute." Except for Captain Nate. That guy is nails on a chalkboard.

It's long, the puzzles are nearly entirely inventory-based and it's also one of the prettiest adventures to come down the pike in a long time. The two minigames are annoying, but one is easy and you can edit an .ini to skip the other one. Highly recommended.

You have sold me on this game. If it drives me to suicide I will come back to haunt you!

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You have sold me on this game. If it drives me to suicide I will come back to haunt you!

Bad and mediocre VA is something that gets on my tits more than just about any other issue in adventure games, so the fact that it's not only tolerable here but really enjoyable is cause to raise the roof. There's not a lot you can do when the translation is done by the creators, though, like Daedalic. It's bad enough that while playing Deponia I want to strangle Rufus because of who he is as a character, but his voice actor (in addition to hamming it up in fine cornball tradition) has to struggle with unlocalized idiom and lots of nonsequiturs.

I know that Daedalic's MO is to be cheerfully bizarre, and that's a big part of their charm, but scattershot writing doesn't do the acting any favors. In a perfect world, every game would get a ginormous VA budget and swimming pools filled with champagne. Until then, as long as I still have an option to mute the voices and turn on subtitles, I'm a happy puffin. Unwritten Tales is right up there with The Longest Journey, LucasArts and Legend Entertainment's fantastic voice work. Hm. Maybe there's something to companies and games that start with the letter L?

Oh, one more thing: the game does have a lot of small hotspots, so liberal use of the spacebar to highlight them is pretty much mandatory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadley Puffin posted:

I know that Daedalic's MO is to be cheerfully bizarre, and that's a big part of their charm, but scattershot writing doesn't do the acting any favors.

It certainly didn't help A New Beginning. Dear christ the script and voice acting are awful in that game :shepicide:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to PC Gamer, the final day of the Summer Sale will bring about a repeat of the solstice - every daily deal will make one last appearance before clearing the stage and letting your wallet briefly heal before Gabe remembers what season it is.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Crap, I don't know if I could hold off on buying tonnes of games I had been thinking about this time.

drat you Legacy of Kain collection :supaburn:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Last Emperor posted:

drat you Legacy of Kain collection :supaburn:

Even when it's still missing the first one. :smith:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The Kins posted:

before Gabe remembers what season it is.

Speaking of which, is there any indication, believable rumours or actual sources of when this is coming about?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Speaking of which, is there any indication, believable rumours or actual sources of when this is coming about?

Soon.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
So um is there any way to play Arcanum on Windows 8 without either incredible lag or hosed up graphics and ridiculous load times?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ooh I do believe I like this :siren: FINAL ALL OFFERS AVAILABLE DAY :siren: thing that they do.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Told you so!

Time to finally grab System Shock 2. I was holding out just in case.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well let's see what daily deals they have tod- :aaaaa:

So is this the last day ANYTHING is on sale, or will things still be on sale tomorrow? It says the sale ends July 5th, but I don't know if that means the sale is going THROUGH July 5th or not.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
Although I already own BG and BG2 on discs, I couldn't resist buying the D&D pack. Time to replay Planescape: Torment for the first time in over a decade.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Jamesman posted:

Well let's see what daily deals they have tod- :aaaaa:

So is this the last day ANYTHING is on sale, or will things still be on sale tomorrow? It says the sale ends July 5th, but I don't know if that means the sale is going THROUGH July 5th or not.

The 2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale Finale lasts until Friday, July 5, at 12:59PM GMT. Last chance, buy now etc etc.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress, I was holding out hope that they'd put Wizardry 8 on sale. :gogtears:

Guess I'm done with GOG until next time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
My bank account hates me right now. Let's just leave it at that. Don't.... don't look at me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Out of curiosity... If you would pick a pack, any pack, no matter the amount of games or genres, which would you recommend, if one could only pick one... Pack?

My choice would probably be the Bullfrog Bundle. Not that they're my very favouritest games, but they're all rock solid and unique that you'd have to hate games in general if nothing could satisfy you within it.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 4, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Steam sales just happen with no fanfare or predictable reason. Usually someone finds out because it's inadvertently leaked.

THE BAR posted:

Out of curiosity... If you would pick a pack, any pack, no matter the amount of games or genres, which would you recommend, if one could only pick one... Pack?

My choice would probably be the Bullfrog Bundle. Not that they're my very favouritest games, but they're all rock solid and unique that you'd have to hate games in general if nothing could satisfy you within it.

Personally the D&D pack. There's not a bad game in the lot and even the weakest one, Dragon Stone, is a decent beat 'em up. Between Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape, and ToEE you have literally hundreds of hours of RPG goodness.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

al-azad posted:

Steam sales just happen with no fanfare or predictable reason. Usually someone finds out because it's inadvertently leaked.

Personally the D&D pack. There's not a bad game in the lot and even the weakest one, Dragon Stone, is a decent beat 'em up. Between Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape, and ToEE you have literally hundreds of hours of RPG goodness.

Yeah, the D&D pack definitely has enough bang for your buck to last you years.
Hell, NWN1&2 both have insane modding communities that churn out custom campaigns all the time so they alone would provide hundreds of hours of gameplay.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Anyone play Zafehouse Diaries? It looks interesting.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
If anyone's looking at Defender's Quest, the developer is matching the 75% off deal on their site. You get a DRM free version and a Steam key. You don't get another nice shiny box on your virtual GOG gameshelf though.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Megadyptes posted:

Anyone play Zafehouse Diaries? It looks interesting.

You can grab a demo from the official site and get a Gog key for it along with some other stuff from this custom Groupees bundle. There's still over two days to run on that offer so plenty of time to think it over.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there a definitive Might and Magic game? I'm trying to play one game from each of these old RPGs that I've heard a lot about and I've picked up Ultima 7 and going to get Wizardry 8 when it goes on sale since I hear so much about it. I was wondering if M&M (not heroes) has a game that's the best in the series.

Also time to pick up system shock 2, I was holding out for a surprise sale as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Is there a definitive Might and Magic game?

Install the six-pack, play MM4-5 (they form into a single game) or MM6, depending on whether you prefer puzzles (4-5) over hack n slash (6), although they have both, 4-5 IS more difficult when it comes to its puzzle solving, even though it never gets hair pullingly hard (you'll want 1 or 2 for that!). MM3 is the same as 4-5, more or less, it's just less refined and a fair bit shorter as well.

MM7 is to 6 what 4-5 is to 3, except I'd say that MM6 is the longer of the two (plus I vastly prefer the class system in MM6 over 7, as more restrictions are imposed on you in the latter).

To sum it up, 4-5 or 6 would be the place I would start.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Lakbay posted:

Is there a definitive Might and Magic game? I'm trying to play one game from each of these old RPGs that I've heard a lot about and I've picked up Ultima 7 and going to get Wizardry 8 when it goes on sale since I hear so much about it. I was wondering if M&M (not heroes) has a game that's the best in the series.

The M&M games are roughly divided into two generations: the original and the true 3D one. 4-5 are the peak of the tile-based action. I would argue that 7 was much better than 6.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You're probably right about 7. Yeah, go with 7 instead of 6, it's just my jaded preference that's talking here.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So thinking of picking up System Shock 2 from the sale. I haven't played it before. Is it really the best thing ever like so many make it out to be? Or is there a lot of nostalgia tinting that?

I ask because I thought both Bioshock and Dead Space were good-but-not-great, which are the two games I hear most frequently compared to SS2.

Anyone got a reasonably objective take on it?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

XenoCrab posted:

If anyone's looking at Defender's Quest, the developer is matching the 75% off deal on their site. You get a DRM free version and a Steam key. You don't get another nice shiny box on your virtual GOG gameshelf though.

I just bought it from the devs site myself and you get a GoG key as well as a Steam key! I was very pleasantly surprised to see that!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

THE BAR posted:

You're probably right about 7. Yeah, go with 7 instead of 6, it's just my jaded preference that's talking here.
I think 6 is the better game, but 7's the one I'm more likely to replay some day. 6 has amazing, huge, labyrinthine dungeons that are a master-class of design with fiendishly difficult puzzles and layouts, and the feeling of progression is absolutely unparalleled - but the mobs of enemies are ridiculous in number and it's not a particularly friendly introduction to the kind of game it is. It's a mammoth undertaking that left me feeling genuinely exhausted by its end. 7 is much more polished and a tighter experience, but I couldn't help but feel let down by its tiny dungeons and relative lack of difficulty. Plunging into the depths of Castle Darkmoor and emerging a new man has to be one of my favourite gaming experiences, and 7 didn't really have anything memorable to match it.

Really, I guess it comes down to personal taste - ultimately, while I prefer 6, I'd recommend 7 over it for the majority of people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really had the worst luck with this sale. The deals I wanted kept dodging all around my paychecks. Oh well, I'll take it as a sign to play through my backlog for once!

Dec 26, 2012

macnbc posted:

So thinking of picking up System Shock 2 from the sale. I haven't played it before. Is it really the best thing ever like so many make it out to be? Or is there a lot of nostalgia tinting that?

I ask because I thought both Bioshock and Dead Space were good-but-not-great, which are the two games I hear most frequently compared to SS2.

I played it for the first time when it got re-released early this year and it definitely still owns. Just make sure you know what you're doing mechanically for the RPG bits because there are a fair number of trap options.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
I've resisted throwing money at this sale so far but since today is the last chance to buy anything I'm eyeing Dungeon Keeper 2 and Fez.

I had DK2 ages ago but I know nothing about Fez except that it is a platformer that looks and sounds a lot like Cave Story, is Fez any good?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

macnbc posted:

I'm not in the slightest bit objective about it; it's a great game and I'm buying it for myself right now.

If I'm going to fake being objective and force myself to say bad things about it, I'd say that the graphics weren't great even by 1998 standards (uses the Thief engine), and it even reuses some of the guard animations from Thief if you have a sharp enough eye for it.

Some people complain about weapons breaking or how unbalanced the classes are, or that spiders scare them, or that some of the enemies respawn. I've read complaints about the voice acting. These people are probably stupid and wrong about other things in the world as well, the type of folks who would complain about the wallpaper in a sushi restaurant, or decry the curry they are being served as not having high enough quality meat.

The game's great, play it.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

THE BAR posted:

The one with Thief 1-3 and Deus Ex. Granted Daikatana and Invisible War drags it down but it has 4 astonishing games in it.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
So I guess this might be a good time to ask a broad question: I'm seeing lots of unfamiliar but cool looking games on sale here. What's a really good 2-player co-op game on GOG? I'm down with pretty much any genre, especially RPG.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Last week, I had 0 games on gog.com.

Today, I have 118 games on gog.com.

What happened?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Today, I have 118 games on gog.com.

What happened?

An ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jamesman posted: