Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

sanchez posted:

Both the steering change from hydraulic to electric and the switch from 6cyl to 4cyl in the 328 feel like concessions for fuel economy, rather than a change that was made to actually improve the car. Same thing with the low resistance tires. It's a shame really.

You're getting more fuel economy out of changing how the steering works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

You're getting more fuel economy out of changing how the steering works?

Yep, the reduced drag on the engine as there is no belt driven pump anymore adds something. Not a lot, but the manufacturers seem to be willing to do anything for .5 MPG.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

Yep, the reduced drag on the engine as there is no belt driven pump anymore adds something. Not a lot, but the manufacturers seem to be willing to do anything for .5 MPG.

Also don't forget to turn on the rear end

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Newer Xi versions still have the hydraulic steering. I have the electronic steering in my F10 535 and it's vague as hell (especially when going right from my E46) and the sport mode tightening of it feels fake - but I think they are adjusting the software a bit on 2014+.

BMW was clearly trying to soften up a lot of their non-M cars (to grab MBZ, Audi, Lexus buyers) but they'll add more options to try to get these newer cars back into the sportier category (or just add aftermarket poo poo to them yourself). The thing is more and more potential buyers just do 3 yr turn and burn leases on them and are badge whores and not sport oriented.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I feel kind of dirty about it, but I think I like the GLK styling more than the X3:

The X3 looks too soft and last-gen-CRVish. I love how MB took the boxy lines of that giant gently caress off thing they make (G class) and made it shorter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Newer Xi versions still have the hydraulic steering. I have the electronic
BMW was clearly trying to soften up a lot of their non-M cars (to grab MBZ, Audi, Lexus buyers) but they'll add more options to try to get these newer cars back into the sportier category (or just add aftermarket poo poo to them yourself). The thing is more and more potential buyers just do 3 yr turn and burn leases on them and are badge whores and not sport oriented.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Newer Xi versions still have the hydraulic steering. I have the electronic steering in my F10 535 and it's vague as hell (especially when going right from my E46) and the sport mode tightening of it feels fake - but I think they are adjusting the software a bit on 2014+.

Do the "M" Sport Packages make any noticeable difference in this reguard?

Excluding the Sport Seats.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Do the "M" Sport Packages make any noticeable difference....?

Excluding the Sport Seats.

Nope....and no sport seats anymore either for F10 unless you do seat package upgrades. Every line (F10/F30) is different and lot of stuff changed for 2013/2014 so it will depend.

The M sport cars are embarrassingly badged with M logos everywhere (including door sills) and has been sort of neutered into an appearance package (for the MBZ/Audi perps probably). There are some small suspension upgrades for M Sport 2013 in terms of thicker sways different struts apparently but it's not clear if that carried over into 2014+

The better front and rear fascia/black headliner/black trim/better RIMZ was worth $3k for my 2013 M sport though IMO.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

I feel kind of dirty about it, but I think I like the GLK styling more than the X3:

The X3 looks too soft and last-gen-CRVish. I love how MB took the boxy lines of that giant gently caress off thing they make (G class) and made it shorter.

I think the new 2011+ X3 looks good in M sport edition (especially the side/rear), but I can't stand how they did the USA headlights with that dumb orange bit that you don't get with Euro versions although people here are spending some $ and replacing them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The orange reflectors are a DOT requirement... but I agree, it should be done differently.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

The orange reflectors are a DOT requirement... but I agree, it should be done differently.

Really? The LCI E90s no longer have the orange bits that the pre-LCI have. I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't update the X3 to match.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
All the BMW X-cars are ugly as poo poo. It's kind of the point, is it not? I mean I class them in the same category as minivans. If you cared about looks you wouldn't buy it in the first place.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I dunno. I drove the X5 with the 4.4 M62 and it felt good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

All the BMW X-cars are ugly as poo poo. It's kind of the point, is it not? I mean I class them in the same category as minivans. If you cared about looks you wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Compared to what "good looking" SUV in the same size though? I think there are definitely uglier SUV's out there and at least these BMW versions will out handle/out brake most of them. It's only really that "L" shaped orange bit on the X3 that is offensive - but again easily replaced by oem euro headlights.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yep, on the E46 we could just hope the orange bulbs in the euro turn signals fooled people after you removed the bumper reflectors.

...and on the newer cars you just remove the reflector and replace with painted version and take your chances. The turn signal LED's are orange and always on (unless you code them off) so it always looks orangish up there. Some lawyers on bimmerfest are pretty adamant though, that in some horrible crash scenario you could get your rear end handed to you when some inspector noticed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Keyser S0ze posted:

Compared to what "good looking" SUV in the same size though?

Well that's tough to answer. It's like asking what is the best looking minivan. These cars just can't look good. It's simply a flawed setup. This applies to any suv/minivan. Compared to a Merc or a Tahoe/Denali, I'd choose the GM. If I'm going to spend more than 35k it better drive amazing.

I drove an X5d. It was comfortable, powerful enough, handled fine, but still just another SUV. I'm not complaining that they make them, I just wouldn't compare them to a car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure Toyota has the least horrible looking minivan.

I hear what you're saying but - hell, NEW Tahoe's are nearly $50k now loaded, Denali's more and Escalades even more. They are also way bigger and heavier than any BMW X and the people that buy them just want something loud and rednecky and could care less that you have to drop an anchor to get them to stop. I doubt they are cross shopping. I think X5's are for buyers that would consider a 3/5 series also want a bit of utility but still want a BMW and hell, most women want high sitting vehicles now and it's nearly impossible to talk them out of getting them.

I had a 2002 Tahoe that ran like a champ, loved that big ugly smelly bastard. It handled like poo poo, braked like poo poo, was slow, rattles everywhere, had a fugly interior but I could stuff a ton of poo poo into it and it never complained or broke down so there's that. It was a perfect compliment to my E46.

Now, personally I thought about it pretty hard last summer when I orderd my 535 but I couldn't personally buy a BMW X for that very reason - as when I have a truck I use it like a dirty pig and would feel horrible dragging some brand new X5 up on some sketchy filthy trail. I do stuff bags of dirt, tiles, thinset and have thrown cut down pieces of backer board and drywall in my 535 though. :stonk:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Captain Postal posted:

You Americans should have a look here if you want a good laugh

$100K for a used Chevy Silverado :aaaaa:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Das Volk posted:

$100K for a used Chevy Silverado :aaaaa:

I don't understand what is happening here on that website what is going on.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

omgitstheinternet posted:

Go for the coupe. I just test drove one today (which if it's still available next week after my Lotus is gone may be mine!) and it's just such a sexy beast. I will miss having a roof that disappears but the added stiffness, lower weight (I'm assuming), and overall sportier look will make up for that I'm sure.
I've pretty much narrowed my search to the Z4 M Coupe in Blue or Red. The coupe weighs slightly less than the ragtop but it's not a huge difference. The chassis stiffness is a big step up in the coupe, however. Good luck in your hunt.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I don't understand what is happening here on that website what is going on.

it ends in a ".au", so everything is way overpriced. Except that nothing else is cheaper. It makes aus-goons sad goons

edit: I mean, yeah, the things that were made LHD only had to be imported (expensive), converted (very expensive) and tested (expensive), so they cost a bomb. But the ones that are RHD are just plain rip-off and price gouging from the manufacturers.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 4, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yeah but Oz gets stuff like this :getin:

I think it evens out somewhat

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Yeah but Oz gets stuff like this :getin:

I think it evens out somewhat

Do you really want to start this? You chaps over the pacific can buy same mileage e60 550i's or 60k mi e60 M5's for about the same price. Tell me with a straight face that the XR6 is a better car than an M5 :colbert:

Sorry mate, but :911: crying poor to :australia: on cars is just not on.

I'll grant you that our utes are miles ahead of F100/F150/F-anything. Now those are true pieces of poo poo.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 4, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've pretty much narrowed my search to the Z4 M Coupe in Blue or Red. The coupe weighs slightly less than the ragtop but it's not a huge difference. The chassis stiffness is a big step up in the coupe, however. Good luck in your hunt.

Today I drove a silver/black 07 M Coupe, 54k miles, one owner with service records, not a scratch or ding that I could find, literally looked and drove like a brand new car. I'm praying nobody buys it before I sell my lotus on Monday. Even though I love the coupe and wouldn't buy anything else, my targa top lotus driving self is begging me to buy a roadster. I guess since I have a few days before I can actually buy something I'll try to take a Z4 M Roadster on a hard test drive and see if it piques my fancy.

Good luck on your search as well. Where are you located? I'm spending about half my day searching the whole country for a worthy coupe and if I see something that's local to you I can send a link your way.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 4, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

I'll grant you that our utes are miles ahead of F100/F150/F-anything. Now those are true pieces of poo poo.

They aren't even close enough to compare as they are for totally different things. You aren't pulling a 10,000 lb goose neck trailer with an XR6. It also won't fit a full sheet of plywood or drywall in the bed. Does that make the XR6 a "true piece of poo poo."?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Not that I'm going to buy this car :tinfoil: but is this a good price? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3912309134.html

Is the ZHP package just an appearance/interior thing only?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Not that I'm going to buy this car :tinfoil: but is this a good price? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3912309134.html

If its not rusty that's a good price.

ZHP has the following performance things:
-cams that give an extra 10hp, red line of 6800
-aluminum front control arms (probably worn out now)
-uniquely valved shocks (probably worn out now)
-shorter shift lever
-shorter rear diff (still no LSD)

They don't demand the premium they used to but I would still pay slightly extra over a 330 sport. One with the full alcantara interior and steering wheel in good shape is a great thing.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Crustashio posted:

If its not rusty that's a good price.

ZHP has the following performance things:
-cams that give an extra 10hp, red line of 6800
-aluminum front control arms (probably worn out now)
-uniquely valved shocks (probably worn out now)
-shorter shift lever
-shorter rear diff (still no LSD)

They don't demand the premium they used to but I would still pay slightly extra over a 330 sport. One with the full alcantara interior and steering wheel in good shape is a great thing.

The 2004 being the peak of the ZHP offering as the Alcantera (or fake?) wasn't a great batch offering, as such in 2005+ it was no longer offered :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
e: ^^^^^^^ I love my '04, but I gladly ditched the alcantara wheel on mine for the 2005.5+ perf leather wheel. Mine was starting to peel pretty bad at the top.

The ZHP is the consolation prize BMW threw the US for not making a 4 door E46 M3 (over 40% of the E36 M3s sold in the US were 4 door).

It's similar to what you'd get if you bought most of the performance part catalog bits and stuck them on a sport package 330i, so not a huge difference over a regular ZSP, but they're nice if you want the 'sportiest' model E46 without having to pay the M-tax.

They are a ton of fun to drive.

e2: That's a pretty fair price for that one. I paid $10k even for my 2004, with 110k on the clock. For that mileage, and the steering wheel being in good condition, I'd jump on that; maybe talk him down a thousand if you can, but even the asking price looks reasonable.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 4, 2013

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

omgitstheinternet posted:

Good luck on your search as well. Where are you located? I'm spending about half my day searching the whole country for a worthy coupe and if I see something that's local to you I can send a link your way.
I'm in the Houston area, I've got a few searches saved. I probably can't buy anything until the end of the year, but I'm keeping my eyes open because these things don't come up all the time and if one comes up that's a great deal I'm gonna do what I can to jump on it.

Feel free to send me a PM or w/e I'd appreciate any tips.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Nope....and no sport seats anymore either for F10 unless you do seat package upgrades. Every line (F10/F30) is different and lot of stuff changed for 2013/2014 so it will depend.

The M sport cars are embarrassingly badged with M logos everywhere (including door sills) and has been sort of neutered into an appearance package (for the MBZ/Audi perps probably). There are some small suspension upgrades for M Sport 2013 in terms of thicker sways different struts apparently but it's not clear if that carried over into 2014+

The better front and rear fascia/black headliner/black trim/better RIMZ was worth $3k for my 2013 M sport though IMO.

Did something change?

It seemed or there's a big demand for any bmwers with the "Sport Package" due to the seats on E46s.

Was this the same for E90s and E82(US 1-Series Coupe)? I might buy a 1 next year and I'm curious if the package is just cosmetic.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 4, 2013

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
My M3 arrived in Seattle today after two weeks in transit from my move from NoVA. Happy day!

It was damaged on the truck. Of course.

Album of 10 shots.

Since the car wasn't in anything like perfect shape before the move and you might not know what's new, here's a guide:
1 - Front bumper half ripped off,
2 - Passenger-side fog lamp ripped out and deposited in the passenger seat,
3 - Driver-side front wheel-well liner has been damaged and is hanging down and rubbing against the wheel,
4 - Two deep gouges to the front spoiler,
5 - Parking brake has been disabled or destroyed - the handbrake ratchets to full extension without resistance and parking brake does not function, the leather boot was detached when I got in it, and there is no record of what they did.

blargh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How does that happen? How do you move someone's car, do that, and say "here you go."

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That sucks man. Who shipped it and what are you going to do?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

Did something change?

It seemed or there's a big demand for any bmwers with the "Sport Package" due to the seats on E46s.

Was this the same for E90s and E82(US 1-Series Coupe)? I might buy a 1 next year and I'm curious if the package is just cosmetic.

I looked at an E90 without the sports package and with, both with leather seats. The difference is that the sports package ones are shaped a bit differently, which translates into being more comfortable to sit in. But I wouldn't say it's a life-changing experience.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

televiper posted:

My M3 arrived in Seattle today after two weeks in transit from my move from NoVA. Happy day!

It was damaged on the truck. Of course.

Album of 10 shots.

Since the car wasn't in anything like perfect shape before the move and you might not know what's new, here's a guide:
1 - Front bumper half ripped off,
2 - Passenger-side fog lamp ripped out and deposited in the passenger seat,
3 - Driver-side front wheel-well liner has been damaged and is hanging down and rubbing against the wheel,
4 - Two deep gouges to the front spoiler,
5 - Parking brake has been disabled or destroyed - the handbrake ratchets to full extension without resistance and parking brake does not function, the leather boot was detached when I got in it, and there is no record of what they did.

blargh.
Ugh, that sucks man! I hope you didn't sign for it? What's the next step? Also, please tell me which company did this. I am moving my E36 M3 from Nova to California in a couple months and I want to avoid your experience as best as possible.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ibntumart posted:

I looked at an E90 without the sports package and with, both with leather seats. The difference is that the sports package ones are shaped a bit differently, which translates into being more comfortable to sit in. But I wouldn't say it's a life-changing experience.
The sport seats in my e46 are life changing compared to some of the lovely seats of cars I've owned in the past. They have larger bolsters and seem a bit deeper, so they hold you in place and are very comfortable at the same time. I haven't had a chance to try any of the newer non sport seats though.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to get the BMW Performance seats for my M3.

They're like $5k

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I'm not ready to name names yet on the Virginia side because I want to try to resolve this peacefully. I will say that the folks who handled the local Seattle delivery - Coast to Coast Auto Transport - have so far been good. I talked to the owner while the car was still on the truck, and he's going to try to help.

The paperwork the C-2-C guy gave me is marked up in such a way that i can't even tell what the gently caress damage the person they received it from trying to list, but I can tell you for sure that the Customer's Signature on the Origin side is not my signature - I don't know if that is normal when there is a hand-off between shippers or if it indicates fraud.

The relocation was covered by my new employeer, who sub-contracted it out to a vendor, who sub-sub'ed it to a relocation company, who sub-sub-sub'ed it to a car-shipping broker, who then hired these guys. So, while the whole relocation has been 12 shades of "way more complicated than it needed to be and at least twice as expensive", at least I've got plenty of people I can try to rope in to get it resolved.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

I really want to get the BMW Performance seats for my M3.

They're like $5k

Two sets for E92 for sale at the moment on the 'post ;) They are something that I plan to pickup myself, side airbag, heating, electric, the perfect combo of sport and practical until I fully go to track-only, haha.

What's really interesting, is that image depicts the seats in a non-M (unless I'm mistaken.) That is just... odd.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If my M3 came to me like that I would be seeing red. They'd have to shoot me.

Did you check the odometer yet to see if there are any unexplained miles on the vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

You can find a thread on this car over on ZHPMafia claiming it's a salvage title, although perhaps a potential buyer just posted that to scare competitors. But at that price, probably true.

Having looked at ZHP prices for a while, is KBB at all relevant for these? I think I have only seen cars with accidents asking KBB, and Edmunds is just a joke.