Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Pakled posted:

Pre-HoD, just spam guards.

Post-HoD, you want 1 plane (if you have access to them) or otherwise 1 cavalry per stack. Then you want an equal number of infantry and artillery.

Except you want enough engineers to get 100% siege efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I booted up EU3 and loaded the American War for Independence bookmark in celebration of July 4.

George III killed George Washington as he tried to lift the Siege of Boston :(

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Yeah, at least 10% of your army has to be reconnaissance units to get the full benefit of your recon, and at least 10% has to be siege to get the full effect of siege. So, an army of 10 units needs 1 engineer and hussar, and an army of 11+ would need 2 of each for 100% efficiency. I like to keep as many support units in an army as possible, because the support bonus is huge in V2. A typical 42k army for me would be 6 infantry, 4 artillery, 2 engineers, 2 hussars. A later game army might be something like 12 infantry, 3 airplanes, 3 engineers, 6 artillery.

Also, later inventions give much, much bigger bonuses to defense than they do to attack. It gets way more dangerous to be the attacker in the battle. The other thing that might be a cause of disproportionate losses might be that they've invented gas attacks and you haven't. Or, you both have gas attack but they've invented gas masks. Leaders can play a huge role, too. I've seen generals with up to +5 attack and defense, which is enormous. If you march into them with some bum leading your troops, or even worse if your general dies mid battle, you'll get creamed.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 4, 2013

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I booted up EU3 and loaded the American War for Independence bookmark in celebration of July 4.

George III killed George Washington as he tried to lift the Siege of Boston :(

Have you seen George III in a battle? That guy is KUHRAZY

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thanks for the advice y'all. How should I add tanks to the mix?

e: and I just discovered gas attack. Maybe that will help.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 4, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Tanks are good for artificially inflating your military score because they are really expensive. They are not really that good at fighting. Infatry+artillery is the best way to go probably.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Tanks are oddly useless in Victoria 2. I like them for rebel crushing units since their attack, defense, and speed are all decent but there's really nothing that tanks excel at.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I build huge stacks of just tanks after I already have enough inf/arty stacks to actually use in combat. Tanks would be completely useless except they cost a shitload so they're good for inflating your mil score so high the AI won't attack you even if you've got hundreds of badboy.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

DrProsek posted:

Tanks are oddly useless in Victoria 2. I like them for rebel crushing units since their attack, defense, and speed are all decent but there's really nothing that tanks excel at.

Their speed actually isn't any faster than infantry, I think :v:. I actually tried using a stack of nothing but cavalry for rebel hunting after replacing all my hussars with airplanes. It didn't work out that well, though. They definitely darted around the map faster than a regular army, but it took them so much longer to win the battle that I don't think it was worth it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I've been using a cut-down version of Kersch's reccomended stack (It's the 1840's and supply limits are low, after all), but I ended up using Dragoons instead of Hussars. I'm at 100% efficiency for my units, but should I start switching out later on?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Kavak posted:

I've been using a cut-down version of Kersch's reccomended stack (It's the 1840's and supply limits are low, after all), but I ended up using Dragoons instead of Hussars. I'm at 100% efficiency for my units, but should I start switching out later on?

I just like the hussars because of their higher recon. One thing you could actually do, if you like the dragoon's higher combat ability, is to have X dragoons and 1 hussar. As long as you have enough recon units to have 100% efficiency, it uses the highest recon value in your army. I just use multiple hussars for simplicity.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kersch posted:

Their speed actually isn't any faster than infantry, I think :v:. I actually tried using a stack of nothing but cavalry for rebel hunting after replacing all my hussars with airplanes. It didn't work out that well, though. They definitely darted around the map faster than a regular army, but it took them so much longer to win the battle that I don't think it was worth it.

I think they're 9kmph to INF's 7, but anything you can pair them with (except planes, maybe?) is slower, so a properly constructed stack is never going to take advantage of that. And, like you noted, stacks spend much longer fighting or sieging than moving around, so it's not that much of an advantage anyway.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
So if the hussar's advantage is in reconnaissance, and the dragoon's in attack, what's the niche that the cuirassiers have? Should I ever bother putting them into my armies, or are those cavalry spaces better used for hussars and dragoons?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Absolutism 0.3.3 for HoD 3.03

Lot'sa Three's Edition:
-A small number of flags have been added to countries in the America's and Lotharingia in Europe.
-The Mongol's have learnt how to build proper yurts and now have cores on their territory.
-The Papacy's conversion powers have now been limited to religious affairs once more and Spanish people once again exist in Southern Spain.
-India is no longer the pinnacle of learning.
-Ireland is now fully free pending a possible change in the British setup. ENG now has cores on areas of british population centres or major naval infrastructure in compensation.
-The British should no longer be oppressing the Irish.
-Further to the above, Countries should no longer start with decision flags that call upon any non-existent modifiers or nonsensical ones.
-OOB's should now be correctly linked, sorted and brackets sorted. So many brackets.
-Nascent cores have been purged from a number of areas.
-A number of validation errors were fixed, only a few thousand more to go (Mostly localization issues, many event errors however, so please report crashes and their circumstances)
-Lots of minor fixes.

Snapshot Triple Edition:

Here's three little looks for you. I felt that with three being the theme, apparently, it was only fitting.

Enter Baetica

The Pope still lays claim to the city of Rome:

Putting on the Pope Hat:

The reformation was the doom of the Papal States. With Europe in flames lit by the kindling of religious intolerance, what hope could the few loyal men of central Italy hope to accomplish against the heathen armies of Prussia and Burgundy, already long victorious over the catholic forces of France, Austria and Spain. The siege of Rome was a quick affair - the Papacy hoping to minimize the occupation and for a return to normalcy after the symbolic treaty and, therefore, his recognition of protestant authority completed along with the complete failure of the reformation itself.

It was not to be.

The sacking of Rome, while not overly violent, left the city a mere shell of what it was and completely unprepared for the coming of the rechristened legions of Rhomaion under the command of the Orthodox faith. The Pope was given 3 days to convert to the true faith and become a fellow patriarch, or leave the city unmolested. The Pope chose the only real option to the figurehead of the battered catholic faith.

The Papacy, at first, relocated to Avignon, but the conflict between Savoy and France proved too problematic to keep the city secure for long. With Spain undergoing great turmoil, the Pope made a tempting offer - grant him control of Gibraltar and he would serve as a unifying force of the splintering Spanish Empire. His offer was accepted and his work began. For a decade, the papacy served to put an end to most of Spain's troubles, though ultimately at the expense of a portion of southern spain falling directly under the Papacies administration.

Campaigns against Morocco saw the expansion of the Papacy to controlling the strait and the wealth it brought ensured the Papacies survival. Over time, the latin name for the region - Baetica, came into use and superseded the Papacies name in most circles, including among the college of cardinals itself. The continued prosperity of the Papacy, wherever it may be located, however, is credited with the survival of catholicism both in Europe and in the New World.

Baetican Population:

Baetica is a small nation divided among the native Spanish population and a naturalized or immigrant Italian population. A small jewish enclave continues to exist in the Papacy - and whilst the Pope may look upon other members of the non-catholic world with disdain, the importance of the small Jewish merchant community has not been lost on successive Popes, despite the occasional flaring of tensions. The acceptance of Italians and Spaniards united by Catholicism, however, is a powerful force.

Baetica, and the Pope, however dominated by the Spanish it may be, still lays claim to the ancient city of Rome - with the ultimate goal of liberating Italy into god's new kingdom and pushing out the forces of Orthodoxy and Protestantism. This is a lofty goal however, and will most likely not be accomplished without the aid of catholic's worldwide. No doubt such ambitions will serve as an element in a far wider and greater conflict that is sure to engulf Europe, if not the world. With Spain once again engulfed in turmoil, perhaps the Pope's attention would be best served on his immediate north.

The decision, however, lies with gods own ambassador.

==========

Aurora Borealia? No, wait, that's not right.

The first experiment in British democracy. And Imperialism.

The Great Lakes look good on me:

Borealia is a name synonymous with peaceful separation from the motherland. Even if this is because it is the only such notable case (Richport often slips people's minds) in colonial history to date. The Republic of Borealia is along with its immediate southern neighbour, the primary legacy of British Imperial Ambitions north of the Caribbean. Primarily settled by the British, When the Delaware war for independence began those north and east of the Great Lakes of the continent made a choice to remain loyal. The Delaware war of independence raged for several years, but, ultimately, with the infrastructure of New England predominantly in the pocket of the crown, Delaware only managed to force a peace with the inclusion of the French and the withdrawal of the Spanish from their colonies.

This left the greater, and at the time, more densely populated lands of New England and Southern Vinland in the hands of the British Crown. The decision to create a loyal dominion out of the areas and name it Borealia was met with lukewarm reception at home, but the now Borealian populace took to the experiment with gusto. Over time, the integration of the Vinlandic minority in Southern Vinland and the inclusion of the Maritimes from the British Crown created a strong, stable nation.

Ultimately, with Borealia forming its own unique indentity, the British Crown made the decision to declare it a sovereign and independent state - though its "elected" head of state would answer only to the British Monarch, rather than its own parliament, at first, this caused outrage in Borealia, but the ultimate compromise that included the Borealian parliament in decision making relevant to foreign policy and military matters settled the issue.

Borealia has since proved itself in a number of minor military conflicts with its neighbour, Delaware, having fought a number of border skirmishes in New York and having seized the Michigan region from Delaware colonists several years ago. The recent signing of a treaty between Borealia and Delaware affirms that Michigan is now sovereign Borealian territory, but leaves many issues unresolved.

Borealian Population:

Borealia is as such a largely homogenous population, either of naturalized immigrants or descendants of the british colonial age. A small number of Vinlandic people's still occupy the islands in the Maritimes, but those in Borealia proper have largely assimilated, leaving the last major minority as the Irish, who have integrated into Borealian society, if not entirely assimilated.

Borealia no longer looks to the British Crown for guidance but instead relies on its own domestic policy, and the "Governor-General" has become largely symbolic, doubly so given the changes back in London. Borealia is now widely recognized as one of the guiding powers of the world and has largely usurped what their erstwhile brothers south of New York intended to do - provide a beacon of freedom and liberty to all in the world who would come live the dream.

This dream is now the Borealian dream.

==========

The Golden Mandate - Jin Shan

The "Celestial Kingdom" hugs the western coast of the continent.

How many mandates are there?:

The settlement of Jin Shan dates back to the earliest successful chinese explorers. These explorers brought back tales of a great expanse of land to the east populated by strange new peoples who yearned to learn of the Mandate of Heaven. It took the Chinese another century of building up colonial outposts across the pacific to reach this land in force - but when they did, they carved out two great realms. One in the northern continent and one in the south.

In the North, they founded Jin Shan.

At first, the earliest settlements hugged the coasts of land largely unpopulated by the native peoples - however, when word reached colonial ears of the great realm of the Aztecs and the Zapotecs to the south east, the majority of settlement and expansion moved to the coast of the Aztec lands. Over the course of a century, the Manchu rulers of China sent their best and brightest to these lands, slowly pushing out the Aztecs by playing them against the Zapotec and rebuilding their cities in a more stylistic chinese way before repopulating them with settlers from the cities of China itself.

Ultimately, China ceased to focus on expansion and began selling both the Inca and the Zapotec weaponry to fight off the hordes of Europeans who had begun to gain traction in their lands. Able to rest secure and reap the new wealth they had secured, the Chinese colonies prospered. Jin Shan was eventually turned into a tributary state under a Manchu ruler of relation to the Emperor - and forming its own identity while remaining answerable to the mighty emperor of the celestial empire that was China. Who, coincidentally, still supported most of the colonial garrisons.

Jin culture thus blossomed, taking the best the natives had to offer and melding it with european and chinese ideals.

Shan Population:

The Jin population is largely Manchu in descent, with the other ethnic groups of China melding with them and the native population to form a new, independent and largely homogenous culture. Jin Shan has always been largely restive, with rebellion the action of troubled peasants back in the sprawling and choked homeland. The wealth that Jin Shan generated was not all sent westward, and the state has continued to prosper on its own merit.

However, the troubles that have recently split the empire have not left Jin Shan unaffected. With the Chinese Empire no longer the paymaster of a tributary guard, Jin Shan must now utilize its forebear's legacy and form a new effective nation without the guidance of the mandate of heaven. In response, however, the Royal Court of Jin Shan has declared a new mandate - that of the gold Jin Shan is known for - to rule over this land in this New World. There is no Celestial Empire, but there is now a Celestial Kingdom with its own mandate to rule, and its own identity to reinforce.

All is not simple, however, while Jin Shan knows the ways of the east and the west and the Zapotec remain largely concerned with their own affairs, the nations formed out of europe's endeavors move themselves to dominate the continent and the New World one way or another. Will the new Celestial Kingdom rise to the challenge, or will Jin Shan become subjugated to another ruler?

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 5, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

So if the hussar's advantage is in reconnaissance, and the dragoon's in attack, what's the niche that the cuirassiers have? Should I ever bother putting them into my armies, or are those cavalry spaces better used for hussars and dragoons?
Cuirassiers don't really have a good niche. With tier one army techs, they are slightly better than infantry and can flank if your line is wider than the enemies, so I guess they are kind of like 'Infantry Plus' at the very, very beginning of the game. However, once you have even just the second tier of army techs and their associated inventions, they fall behind infantry and are equal to dragoons in combat stats.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kersch posted:

I just like the hussars because of their higher recon. One thing you could actually do, if you like the dragoon's higher combat ability, is to have X dragoons and 1 hussar. As long as you have enough recon units to have 100% efficiency, it uses the highest recon value in your army. I just use multiple hussars for simplicity.

What does recon do exactly?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It reduces, then eliminates the dig in bonus defenders get after a few days of battle and makes sieging quicker.

Yeah, dont skimp on your recon.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

On the subject of tanks usefulness: I used to use armies of 2 tanks and 2 aeroplanes for capping armies. I'd leave them in the province I wanted to take and had a main army right behind them ready to come in if the enemy attacked.

I haven't used this in HoD and I honestly don't really know if it was that great of a strategy back in AHD/Vanilla.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

lullelulle posted:

On the subject of tanks usefulness: I used to use armies of 2 tanks and 2 aeroplanes for capping armies. I'd leave them in the province I wanted to take and had a main army right behind them ready to come in if the enemy attacked.

I haven't used this in HoD and I honestly don't really know if it was that great of a strategy back in AHD/Vanilla.

I'm not sure how things worked before HoD, but I know that right now, the number of units in an army (up to 13) increases province capture speed as well. Recon speeds it up, forts slow it down, and siege effectively reduces the fort level.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

New EU4 DD about several nations in Asia: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?700624-Europa-Universalis-IV-Developer-diary-38-Ayutthaya-Viyanagar-amp-Muslim-Sultanates

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Nice :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

That just makes me sad it's still July :smith:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, what's the best overall strategy to use as the Ottomans in HoD? I've managed to make it to about number 4 great power in 1905, but I still have the problem that my literacy is only 45% or so, and I can't take on a true naval great power at sea or a true land great power on land.

The low population and literacy just seem insurmountable problems.

Anyone managed to get them to number one? What did you do?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Westminster System, can I lobby you to chance the Byzantine name? A country being literally named "Rebirth of the Romans" just seems wacky.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Westminster System, can I lobby you to chance the Byzantine name? A country being literally named "Rebirth of the Romans" just seems wacky.

I admit my greek is rusty (read: not a thing)

This is now fixed to Basileia Rhomaion.

Also, for the record, Xin Kishai means new beginnings, so hows that for a crazy name.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 5, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In Vic2, are there any instances where I'd bother adding wargoals I don't already have a cb for? The infamy cost seems prohibitive...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doctor Schnabel posted:

In Vic2, are there any instances where I'd bother adding wargoals I don't already have a cb for? The infamy cost seems prohibitive...

I use it in colonial wars sometimes (in my Dutch game I just took Yemen, Oman joined as their ally, and I annexed the both of them outright). Otherwise the last time I really used it was when I was playing a game as France with the goal of eating up all of Iberia. Saved a lot of time in between peace treaties.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

At a certain point infamy doesn't matter anymore so you can just go nuts.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

The most obvious case I can think of off the top of my head is if you're playing as Westernized China, and have such a huge military that you can give no fucks about infamy and freely accumulate as much of it as you want with no significant consequences.

There are also times when you really want a certain patch of territory, or really want to reduce the threat of a certain country by forcibly Balkanizing them, where the infamy cost might be worth the gain to you. It's kind of a cost-benefit thing. As long as you only do it sparingly you should be able to stay below the infamy limit.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
It's helpful if you're the NGF trying to form Großdeutschland. Attack Austria, smash them until they're no longer a GP, then add the now-available "add to sphere" wargoal. If they're in your sphere, they get annexed when you form Germany.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Doctor Schnabel posted:

If there's a large unciv, such as China, that I want to take over as quickly as possible, I often try to grab my wargoal state plus one, or plus two if I get lucky and the CB justification is free. Once I've won the war, run through the time period of the truce, and am ready to start fabricating again, my infamy is usually less than 2. Repeat until China drops her client states. At that point you can limit yourself to the one wargoal and just switch between gobbling up China and gobbling up the clients not allied to it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Gort posted:

So, what's the best overall strategy to use as the Ottomans in HoD? I've managed to make it to about number 4 great power in 1905, but I still have the problem that my literacy is only 45% or so, and I can't take on a true naval great power at sea or a true land great power on land.

The low population and literacy just seem insurmountable problems.

Anyone managed to get them to number one? What did you do?

My first HoD game was with the Ottomans, and I have a screenshot where I've got 80.4% literacy in 1888. My standard strategy is to encourage bureaucrats to .08% in all states starting from the largest and going down the list, but the Ottomans have a lot of states with high amounts of non-accepted cultures and since they won't promote to bureaucrats I just skipped any state with less than 50% turks. When my admin efficiency hit 100% I start encouraging clerks to 4% in all states starting with the largest. As the Ottomans if you research the education techs as quickly as possible you shouldn't have much trouble surpassing Russia and Austria, and in the latter half of the game you should be one of the most advanced nations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Non Sequitur posted:

It's helpful if you're the NGF trying to form Großdeutschland. Attack Austria, smash them until they're no longer a GP, then add the now-available "add to sphere" wargoal. If they're in your sphere, they get annexed when you form Germany.

Does this work in the New Nations Mod too? I had Austria in my sphere as NGF when I formed Germany and they didn't get annexed.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I think that only works if Austria has been reduced to the German culture bits.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

DerLeo posted:

I think that only works if Austria has been reduced to the German culture bits.
Not so, if I understood what he posted. If Austria is in your sphere when you form Germany it gets sucked in along with Bavaria, Baden, etc. [EDIT: that's HoD, no mods]

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Epinephrine posted:

Not so, if I understood what he posted. If Austria is in your sphere when you form Germany it gets sucked in along with Bavaria, Baden, etc. [EDIT: that's HoD, no mods]

Yes. If done right, your Greater Germany should look like a pac-man eating Congress Poland

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You haven't totally missed your chance at Greater Germany, though. In NNM, a non-GP Austria or Austria-Hungary can join Germany later if they're in Germany's sphere. See event 31515 in NNM/events/Greater Germany.txt.

Basically, they have a chance to join with their whole empire, a chance to join with just the German bits and grant independence to the non-German parts, and a chance to refuse to join. If they join with their whole empire, you have a choice of letting the non-German bits go free or taking the whole thing in return for huge relations hits with all the other GPs in Europe and giving them all CBs against you. If they refuse to join, then you can choose to let them stay independent or you can choose to get cores on all of Austria's German territories, and when you've taken those, the rest of their empire will collapse and go independent and/or get gobbled up by Italy.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 5, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pretty sure that you have to have an independent Hungary for the absorption to work. Not all of its cores, just one province. Though by the sound of it, that's outdated.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austria's poised to fall as a Great Power in my game, so I'll report what happens when I rough them up for their sphere.

On a related note, with the new mechanics in this expansion, would there be a way to rig up some kind of technology-spreading system (Like if the majority of great powers or your neighbors or whatever have researched a tech it spreads)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Leviathan, March of the Eagles and Impire are all 75% off for a few hours at Green Man, all Steam keys. Another 10% with the code on that page.

• Locked thread