Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.

Cerevisiae posted:

I've been in two goon servers so far and both have had the same seed. I'm starting to wonder if servers just use the same seed automatically.

The default seed is in server.cfg. It has to be changed (which I guess no one does because it looks like a port)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
drat. Registration servers are down, can't even register to buy the game.

Can I use my paypal to buy something through someone elses registration?

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

sct posted:

The default seed is in server.cfg. It has to be changed (which I guess no one does because it looks like a port)

Ah, alright then. I would have thought it would pick a random seed when first being run without a config file but that would explain it. I logged in and I was out directly next to where I was done running around in singleplayer.

The game lets you play a multiplayer world in singleplayer and when you log into a server using the same seed it puts you in the same spot.

Cowboybot posted:

drat. Registration servers are down, can't even register to buy the game.

Can I use my paypal to buy something through someone elses registration?
You need an account to log into the client. Buying it through someone else's account won't work.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Death Himself posted:

Also if you zoom out the map real far you can see the region you are in (will be a solid color) there are infinite regions with their own towns/cities in each direction and with their own quirks. No one has done more than scratch the surface of the game so far because I don't see many people having left the starter region.
I did, looking for another town, before I realized you can pan the world map with middle click (as well as turn equipment at the customization bench). Took me an hour or two to reach the other town, then I realized I needed to get back to the starter town to hang out with my newbie bros. :gonk:

Has anyone seen a portal yet? They're apparently in, so you can fast travel [between regions?] but I've never found one.

DatonKallandor posted:

Ninja ... are amazing however. Perfectly rounded classes with the power resting mostly on the players skill.
Ninja seem highly broken compared to Assassins:

The way Rogue's mana works is that hitting a target increases your mana, at about 8-9 per hit, until you reach 100 mana. Using a special consumes all your mana, dealing more damage with more mana. You have negative mana regeneration, so you need to be in combat to regenerate it.

Ninja gain 25 mana every time they dodge an attack, as well as guaranteeing that their next special will be a critical. On top of this, they automatically dodge when performing special attacks. With proper timing, you can just chain special attacks and wreck enemies. If you're fighting a mob, you just dodge all of their attacks, gaining 25 mana per attack missed, so you have ridiculous DPS.

Assassins, on the other hand, gets some Stealth (not Invisibility) every time they land a special attack, with more MP consumed granting more Stealth. Stealth is automatically activated once gained, increasing your damage, critical hit rate, and mana regeneration (so you actually gain mana). Regardless of if you use a special with a full bar, your Stealth won't last very long, certainly not long enough to ever build up another special attack unless you fire off the second one at 25%, which'll just give you a tiny amount of stealth.

I really can't figure out how Assassin's passive is supposed to be useful, but I haven't gotten past the first couple levels yet. Ninja + Assassin share their first two skills (a dash [usable in midair] that uses a special attack at the end that reduces cooldown per level, and a stealth that increases sneak speed and "stealth ability" [reduced aggro?] every level), but Assassin's third skill is a stealth that is usable in combat that lasts 8 seconds (duration increasing and cooldown reducing per level). Ninja's third skill is a backflip and shuriken throw, not sure how good that'll be.. It might just be that Assassin is better once you get the reliable in-combat stealth skill? I dunno, but at low levels, right now, Ninja just spews damage out with his chain Specials and Assassin's kinda flaky.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Here's a nice pet food list from the Cube World Wiki. Very helpful if you have some pet food and don't know what it's for.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

something posted:

An interesting bug for the server software. Anytime someone leaves the server crashes. Kind of annoying.

There's probably something on your end. I have joined and left a friend's server without it crashing just fine.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Haven't had any server crashes yet, though we tossed ours up on a vps.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Registration was up for like a second. I went to confirm and it was down again. :smith:

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
How do I get water for my potions? I tried the obvious way by jumping in a river, but to no avail. I have 50 flasks but no water to make potions :\

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Seemenaked posted:

How do I get water for my potions? I tried the obvious way by jumping in a river, but to no avail. I have 50 flasks but no water to make potions :\

By jumping in a river, then crafting water flasks. :v:

You can jump in a well in town and do it, too.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride

Cerevisiae posted:

Ah, alright then. I would have thought it would pick a random seed when first being run without a config file but that would explain it. I logged in and I was out directly next to where I was done running around in singleplayer.

The game lets you play a multiplayer world in singleplayer and when you log into a server using the same seed it puts you in the same spot.

You need an account to log into the client. Buying it through someone else's account won't work.

Dang, Ah well, I guess I'll wait till the registration is open again.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
loving gently caress, they need to open the stupid registration server. Don't they want my moneys?!

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

It's up!

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
It was down for maintenance when I tried this morning but I kept trying every 15 minutes or so and it finally popped up. Persistence pays off, also goddamn this game is pretty tough. Only class I have managed to make any headway with thus far is warrior. I tried rogue and ranger and got clobbered.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Seemenaked posted:

It was down for maintenance when I tried this morning but I kept trying every 15 minutes or so and it finally popped up. Persistence pays off, also goddamn this game is pretty tough. Only class I have managed to make any headway with thus far is warrior. I tried rogue and ranger and got clobbered.

Switch your rogue to ninja instead of assassin and it'll probably be easier. Just click the other class type while in your skills list, or if you're level 2+, stand next to a trainer at a dummy or archery target first, but that'll cost you silver.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ahaha vampires are so fun to fight. Huge assholes but fun to fight.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Is anybody hosting a server?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Megafunk posted:

Is anybody hosting a server?

something posted:

Edit: Ok, those who don't have a burning hatred for hamachi and wanna play multiplayer try this:

Network name: cubegoons

pass: lljk

Then join on the ip in hamachi. Doubt this applies to many people but, new(ish) characters only please.

We're around lvl ~7-9 currently, but I doubt anybody lower would make a difference. We just killed some huge-rear end dwarf thought, pretty sure he was a boss :black101:

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Finally refreshed my way into making an account! I bought the game, now I just have to wait until I get home from work to play. :negative:

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.
Streaming again with 5 of us. We are in a snow biome! http://www.twitch.tv/sctx

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
Is there a way to resurrect your pets without losing their accumulated experience? I hoped the pets would level up with you, but I just hit level 3 and now have a level 2 1xp/97xp Terrier.

edit: Oh man, am I stupid. I guess I just needed to wait for him to respawn, not unequip and re-equip him. Sorry, dog.

edit 2: Okay, now after I died, he lost all his XP again. Is this a bug or as intended?

Bionic fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 5, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cerevisiae posted:

Going to hazard a guess in that the seed is static right now for testing multiplayer. Easier to test the same conditions on the same world. Who knows though.

maketakunai posted:

Has anyone seen a portal yet? They're apparently in, so you can fast travel [between regions?] but I've never found one.

If these work the way I think they do, then they might be rare sense regions are pretty loving massive.

Would think that they would stick these in the center of towns. :v:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Enzer posted:

If these work the way I think they do, then they might be rare sense regions are pretty loving massive.

Would think that they would stick these in the center of towns. :v:
Yeah, that's what I was hoping for when I realized the border of the map is the border of a region and sprinted to the next region's town. Alas. :(

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

something posted:

Oh... my bad :downs:. By the looks of it I could set up a hamachi server in a couple minutes, if that would make people happy. I know it would make me happy!

Edit: Ok, those who don't have a burning hatred for hamachi and wanna play multiplayer try this:

Network name: cubegoons

pass: lljk

Then join on the ip in hamachi. Doubt this applies to many people but, new(ish) characters only please.

The hamachi server on this is full, is that other server (107.3.151.128) still good?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man, this confirmation email is taking ages...

Edit: Downloaded. :D

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 5, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

floor is lava posted:

Man, this confirmation email is taking ages...

You don't get a confirmation email. Go back to the website, log in and click the little house icon in the upper right hand corner. You should get a My Games option, click that and it will give you the download on the next page.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Enzer posted:

You don't get a confirmation email. Go back to the website, log in and click the little house icon in the upper right hand corner. You should get a My Games option, click that and it will give you the download on the next page.

Having just registered, you definitely do get an activation link email.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Bone posted:

Having just registered, you definitely do get an activation link email.

Oh! Account registration, thought he meant confirmation buying the game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Enzer posted:

The hamachi server on this is full, is that other server (107.3.151.128) still good?
I'll start it up. Boy do I dislike hamachi.

I started a new server with the the seed 90210. I won't be in it but I'll restart it when I notice it has crashed.

107.3.151.128 - it's up.
There was a mumble for it last night.

The server software is prone to crashing. At least on my computer, can anyone confirm or deny? The port you need to open is port 12345.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

maketakunai posted:

Rogue stuff.

Haha, changing from an assassin to a ninja was like going from a musket to an Abrams tank. I somehow doubt that ninjas are supposed to literally critical for 20+ seconds on every attack when they dodge with a special, but currently they do meaning you can basically melt anything instantly. Looks like Wollay has some rebalancing to do.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Since I don't see this anywhere I figure I might as well post it. When a pet can be used as a mount there are 5 water globs under their exp bar. You can only ride ti while there are some water globs left. You can refill them by having your pet in the water.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Bionic posted:

Is there a way to resurrect your pets without losing their accumulated experience? I hoped the pets would level up with you, but I just hit level 3 and now have a level 2 1xp/97xp Terrier.

edit: Oh man, am I stupid. I guess I just needed to wait for him to respawn, not unequip and re-equip him. Sorry, dog.

edit 2: Okay, now after I died, he lost all his XP again. Is this a bug or as intended?

Pets seem to be bugged to where they lose their accumulated xp/levels if you unequip them. Seems like the actual pet "item" isn't updating properly. Guessing it's something he'll fix soon. I've just been re-taming cats as I level up since I have an easy source of candy and they seem to tame at my level.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

cathead posted:

Pets seem to be bugged to where they lose their accumulated xp/levels if you unequip them. Seems like the actual pet "item" isn't updating properly. Guessing it's something he'll fix soon. I've just been re-taming cats as I level up since I have an easy source of candy and they seem to tame at my level.

Makes sense, thanks. I've got waffles in my store, so just picked up a new Terrier.

Is there a certain place you're supposed to turn in quests? I'm a mage, finished a quest that someone in my town gave me, can't figure out if there is another step. Logging off and on my server re-pops up a Quest Complete notification, so I'm led to believe there is still something else I'm supposed to do. Or have I hit another bug?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The weapon customization is pretty neat. I started near a massive cave system full of bats and ore, and once I got out I decided to pimp my starter sword.

Made the spiked guard a bit too big but whatever. I am sucker for ARTS.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

What was the seed you used? I'm trying to find a seed with ore near by.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Sackmo posted:

Haha, changing from an assassin to a ninja was like going from a musket to an Abrams tank. I somehow doubt that ninjas are supposed to literally critical for 20+ seconds on every attack when they dodge with a special, but currently they do meaning you can basically melt anything instantly. Looks like Wollay has some rebalancing to do.
Yeah, mobs like raccoons that do nothing but go berserk with fist attacks powpowpowpowpowpowpowpowpow turn into a "how fast can I spam 'special attack' in order to not get hit?" style battle. :haw:

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I'm having a lot of fun watching Wolv21's stream on twitch.tv while I wait for my shift to end. Aaaargh I can't wait to play this game! I hear warriors are lackluster but are they still viable? I wanna wield big gently caress-off swords and hammers as a tiny pixel man!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Activation e-mail come on. :qq:

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
It seems like whenever someone leaves a server or lags out the entire server crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Turk posted:

What was the seed you used? I'm trying to find a seed with ore near by.

Underneath all of one of the mountains near town.

• Locked thread