Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

:argh:

The entire population of my prison is children. Guess they'll just have to grow up in a dungeon and be executed once they become adults.

If any of them are heirs to somewhere a cool thing to do is educate them so they become Norse religion and then release them when they become of age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backdoor Mayor
May 14, 2007

I got a package for your mother...

marktheando posted:

If any of them are heirs to somewhere a cool thing to do is educate them so they become Norse religion and then release them when they become of age.

Or if its CK2+, blind them and send them back into the world!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Geokinesis posted:

:argh:

The entire population of my prison is children. Guess they'll just have to grow up in a dungeon and be executed once they become adults.

Children are usually easy to ransom, so you should consider yourself lucky.

Or.... you could assign them mentors of your faith, and release them when they hit 16. Then you can just invite them to your court (Since they'll hate their liege), and maybe get a few with some claims.
Edit: Beaten.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

marktheando posted:

Nope they are just useless kids from places I took over in making Skotland.

Edit:

I don't really get Gavelkind, but at least my proper heir is heir to the kingdom of Skotland so everyone else should be vassals.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 4, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Nope they are just useless kids from places I took over in making Skotland.

Well it's always handy having some prisoners in the bank, nothing worse than not having enough sacrifices at blot time.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cycloneman posted:

The historical Umayyad Emirate/Caliphate was/is fairly notorious for being an Arab supremacist society which treated non-Arab Muslims as second-class citizens. Unfortunately, the CK2 system lacks a way of modeling separatism/supremacism/assimilationism.

Wiz's faction system could probably be adapted to add "<culture>ist" factions, although you'd probably need to add one for every individual culture in the game.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Sorry if this has come up a bazillion times already, but I haven't been able to keep up with the thread recently: Is there a version of that GoT April Fools mod updated for the recent patch? I doubt there is, but it would be nice.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Antinumeric posted:

Dr. Sunshine, I'm trying to play Sonendar but there appears to be an invisible event firing constantly that changes the succession law. This means all of my vassals have upset by succession law change reaching the -3000's. I'm playing as the Duchy of the Bow atm. Any ideas where I can find and delete this event?

edit: think I've found it. I'm just deleting the aaqiut file for the moment.

Yeah, woops! I think the event is a bit broken. Just delete the file for now, it'll be fixed in the next update.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Deary me. I'm currently playing as the Petty Queen of Iceland, aged 42 and with no children. My sister just died, and now my heir is her daughter -- my niece. My niece is not part of my dynasty, so when I die, all my titles will go to my niece -- that is, out of my dynasty -- and my game will be over. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I figure I'm past the point where I can get pregnant -- but even if I weren't so old, when I go to try and marry my queen with someone, literally nobody shows up on the list of candidates. What gives? :(

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

csidle posted:

Deary me. I'm currently playing as the Petty Queen of Iceland, aged 42 and with no children. My sister just died, and now my heir is her daughter -- my niece. My niece is not part of my dynasty, so when I die, all my titles will go to my niece -- that is, out of my dynasty -- and my game will be over. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I figure I'm past the point where I can get pregnant -- but even if I weren't so old, when I go to try and marry my queen with someone, literally nobody shows up on the list of candidates. What gives? :(

The day you're 40 you're unlovable. It's a weird mechanic.

I was going to say change to seniority succession but being a norse petty queen you doubly can't do that. If you really wanted to continue your game you can make yourself pregnant in the console. Otherwise it sounds like it'd be game over.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Trujillo posted:

The day you're 40 you're unlovable. It's a weird mechanic.

Is it hardcoded that women in the game stop being able to get pregnant at 40?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Geokinesis posted:

I thought it was 45 years old.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Geokinesis posted:

45, I think, but men from other courts will stop agreeing to marriages before that. You can still marry men in your court, though, since they won't have a say in the matter.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

There was one man in Europe who'd take her, and that was one of my courtiers. They were married at 46 and she was probably infertile. I ended up impregnating her through the console, and I feel a little bad... But I can't lose all those hours. :/

E: VV if that's true, I must've just turned 46 or 45 when they were married. She was 46 a short while after, anyway.

csidle fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 4, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nightblade posted:

45, I think, but men from other courts will stop agreeing to marriages before that. You can still marry men in your court, though, since they won't have a say in the matter.
That used to be the case, but actually, it now appears that you literally cannot marry anyone as a 45+ woman, even unmarried men in your court.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Strudel Man posted:

That used to be the case, but actually, it now appears that you literally cannot marry anyone as a 45+ woman, even unmarried men in your court.

I just started a game with a 50 year old created queen of Italy, and I had plenty of opportunities to marry. The only one who'd want to marry matrilineally were in my court, though. If no-one shows up when you use the "marriage rings" have you tried using the diplomatic "arrange marriage" option on yourself?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Here is a weird one: does anyone know how to make the Ecumenical Patriarchy exist again after it gets destroyed? The game actually gives me the ability to create it, but if I do the game thinks I'm a theocrat and gives me a game over.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, woops! I think the event is a bit broken. Just delete the file for now, it'll be fixed in the next update.

And here it is!

Sonendar v.1.05.1

Changelog posted:

Important Changes:
---------------------
- Integrated combat and battle related tweaks from Better Armies Mod v.1.22
- Added more holdings to coastal and interior counties in Varrheim
- Summer fair and Hunting decisions now available again
- Female rulers can hold tournaments; Female characters may participate
- Duchy of the Willows is now a Republic
- Fiddled around with Leung and Zhao Dynasties; Zhao is now more impoverished than Leung
- Localizations for Imperial_tax and Imperial_contract
- Tianjing is now the capitol of the Yuan Empire
- Winning a war with the Yuan Restoration CB will result in the reduction of moral authority of the losing side's religion, and an equal increase in the moral authority of the winner's
- Fixed character id for Bregnac
- Fixed Aaqiut Seniority law bug

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I guess my son is an idiot. See, I raided Constantinople and captured the Byazntine Empress and her daughter, took them back to England and made them my concubines. Converted them to Norse, and they were both fond of me, so it was all good. Well, except the former Empresses' son was now Emperor and hated me and my family for obvious reasons.

One day, a while later, my son and heir comes to me and says: "HAY DAD! I wanna go to Miklagard and join the Varangian Guard! Is that okay? Can I go, can I?"

No.

No you can't.

:ughh:

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Is there any strategy to beating a bigger force than your own, or do you need to back off and return with better numbers? I just played cat&mouse with 3000 men vs. 10000 Swedes, but in the end, their sieges forced me to surrender. I guess there's not much to do beyond calling in allies and otherwise forcing them to be the attacker on mountain regions.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

csidle posted:

Is there any strategy to beating a bigger force than your own, or do you need to back off and return with better numbers? I just played cat&mouse with 3000 men vs. 10000 Swedes, but in the end, their sieges forced me to surrender. I guess there's not much to do beyond calling in allies and otherwise forcing them to be the attacker on mountain regions.

If you've got a lot of heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, or horse archers with good leaders you can beat a stack that's much larger than yours, and you can beat a stack that's a little larger than yours by finding a good defensive position and waiting for them to attack you.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Is there a mod that gives you more flexibilty in founding kingdoms and empires? I'm about halfway to being able to form Britannania as the Republic of Skotland and I'm not totally sure it'll let me if my doge is Norse. I'm pretty sure CK2+ has something like this, but I could never get into that a whole lot.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Inside Outside posted:

Is there a mod that gives you more flexibilty in founding kingdoms and empires? I'm about halfway to being able to form Britannania as the Republic of Skotland and I'm not totally sure it'll let me if my doge is Norse. I'm pretty sure CK2+ has something like this, but I could never get into that a whole lot.

Norse can form Britannia. (I just did!)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Quck question about founding the Roman Empire. I've got everything except control over the entire duchy of Genoa, which I actually control except there's 3 holdings out of 5 which belong to Genoa, not to me, which means I technically don't control it.

I've just come out of a war with Genoa, is the only way of securing the other holdings to declare war on each single one (those are the only options I get in the declare war menu) with the truce gaps in between each? I know I can just say gently caress my prestige (the first broken truce will cost me 6k..) and the christian foreign views but I'd rather erm, not do that.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've got a bit of tech trouble. Starting today, clicking on an save game triggers and immediate crash to desktop. Has this happened to anyone else before? I haven't modified my game since I played last, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any update last night.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

maev posted:

Quck question about founding the Roman Empire. I've got everything except control over the entire duchy of Genoa, which I actually control except there's 3 holdings out of 5 which belong to Genoa, not to me, which means I technically don't control it.

I've just come out of a war with Genoa, is the only way of securing the other holdings to declare war on each single one (those are the only options I get in the declare war menu) with the truce gaps in between each? I know I can just say gently caress my prestige (the first broken truce will cost me 6k..) and the christian foreign views but I'd rather erm, not do that.

Stab the ruler after each war. The new guy won't be protected by the truce!

Electric Sheep
Dec 11, 2012

I'm the motherfucking sheep.
Is it common for the Scandinavians to have such a large interest in the area around the Caspian Sea, mostly when playing as the Zoroastians? Every game I've played as the Karen has been plagued with raiding parties looting coastal provinces before my little kingdom is brought down by an 11k invasion force.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Electric Sheep posted:

Is it common for the Scandinavians to have such a large interest in the area around the Caspian Sea, mostly when playing as the Zoroastians? Every game I've played as the Karen has been plagued with raiding parties looting coastal provinces before my little kingdom is brought down by an 11k invasion force.

I've seen little Norse areas pop up down there so I'm going to guess yes it's normal. They like coming down those rivers.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fintilgin posted:

Crosspostin' from the main Paradox thread.

It was bugging me that the CKII and EUIV maps were lit from the lower right instead of the upper left as is 'normal', so I fixed it.

Turns out you can open up the world_normal_height.bmp file, invert the red and blue channels, and have the game lit from the 'proper' direction. Maybe it's subtle and 'spergy', but I think it looks better, and am totally doing the same thing first thing to EUIV.

Here's the inverted .bmp if anyone else wants it. Throw it in the map directory.

Is it possible you could also do this for the GoT mod map? I'm not sure if it has the same problem, however.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

SeaTard posted:

If we step through that, it has the following requirements:

• You must be Independent
  • You must be either (Horde Culture (Aztecs/Mongols) and non-Christian) or Pagan
  • You must be one of the three culture groups (Altaic, Magyar, Mesoamerican)
  • You must be a Duke or higher
  • Your target must be either Horde Culture (Aztecs/Mongols) or non-Pagan
  • Your target can't be your liege

There is also the possibility for Mercanary Bands to use it if they don't have at least 2 titles, but since it's still impossible to play them that won't matter for you.

Thanks, I was trying to decipher it myself but wasn't getting much out of it.

I probably should've noted that I'm using CK2+, which seems to change the requirements for Tribal Invasions. Playing vanilla CK2, I was able to use an Invasion CB on just about everyone around me when playing Magyars.

Another question regarding CBs. I invited someone with a weak claim on a duchy to my kingdom and gave him a county. When I pressed the claim and won, he became independant. I assume I needed to give him a duchy (or even a kingdom?) and not just a county?

My son just married his niece. I should probably kill him/her before it's too late.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Something has to be done about title Creation requirements.

I've taken over at least half the world (have 20 kings as vassals) but once you get down into Hispania and Italy (and for some reason, I can't usurp Perm?) you just end up with a million Dukes and it succccccks.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh man.

So I'm playing as the Byzantine Empire, CK2+, in the gamemode where everyone starts as only counts.

I formed the Byzantine Empire up from just Constantinople, but that's a whole other story.

I noted the Ilkhanate pushing in from the East. Okay. They took over a good chunk of the Islamic territories, blah blah blah, everything's fine.

For shits and giggles, I sent my Ecclesiarch over there to convert them to Orthodoxy.

LO AND BEHOLD, THE GREAT KHAN CONVERTED TO ORTHODOXY.

So now, one of the greatest horse armies the world has ever seen now follows the religious teachings of Orthodoxy above all else.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

In vanilla are you ever able to convert other rulers in their own territory with your priests?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Geokinesis posted:

In vanilla are you ever able to convert other rulers in their own territory with your priests?

Its RNG just like every otherthing like that.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Its RNG just like every otherthing like that.

Do you have to have bordering lands to make this work, so say an Irish king can't try to convert people in Persia?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Geokinesis posted:

Do you have to have bordering lands to make this work, so say an Irish king can't try to convert people in Persia?

Uh, I can't say with certainty, but I wouldn't think so.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Geokinesis posted:

You can attempt to convert any non-reformed independent pagan ruler, regardless of distance, in vanilla CK.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You can attempt to convert any non-reformed independent pagan ruler, regardless of distance, in vanilla CK.

Ahh.

Not the same for any of the reformed faiths then?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I don't think you can, I seem to recall that sending your court chaplain to the county where a reformed pagan king rules from is not an option. I have so many prince-bishops in my current game, I just keep throwing them at the stronger Norse kings in the hope that they'll be converted. Catholicism is being beaten back by a combination of Byzantium taking over southern Italy, and the Tengri Hungarians/Slavic Poles conquering everything in eastern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

The historical Umayyad Emirate/Caliphate was/is fairly notorious for being an Arab supremacist society which treated non-Arab Muslims as second-class citizens. Unfortunately, the CK2 system lacks a way of modeling separatism/supremacism/assimilationism.

Mmmm, would making it so they're more likely to be deposed be viable? If it's anyone it's usually the Marwanids that revolt.

• Locked thread