Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Is there any way to make the load times in this game not so freaking terrible? I'm running a fairly new system, but on some of these missions I'm spending more time staring at the load screen than actually doing the drat mission. Other than that I'm having a blast, glad I finally sat down and seriously played this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That's odd. The load times are pretty dang snappy for me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah I have a SSD and I don't even notice them.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 5, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's the game going through all of its blast processing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Regarding Dark, I found this:

quote:

For a vampire, who seems to be able to take care of himself when it comes to punching enemies to death, Eric is surprisingly limited in how he can move around. You won’t be able to jump, or climb, or even hop over low walls. All Eric will be able to do is walk or crouch and, considering the large enemy-filled environments the game throws at you, this makes the action take on more linear paths than you would expect. Even the one power, Shadow Leap, which could help you get around is cumbersome to use and can’t be aimed over low walls while in a long piece of cover.

You will be able to upgrade Eric’s powers, with experience being awarded for kills and bonuses for not alerting any guards, so there is some designed incentive to staying hidden. Unfortunately, you’ll want to stay hidden because the gameplay falls apart when you go to face an enemy head to head. There is no melee combat system at work in Dark, you simply take out enemies with the same one hit kills you do when they are unaware of you. When enemies know you are there, this attack sometimes lands and sometimes doesn’t. You’ll simply have to hope you don’t absorb too man bullets before you can close the distance. If you do die, you’ll have to repeat large sections of the game as checkpoints are few and far between.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

mrfreeze posted:

Is there any way to make the load times in this game not so freaking terrible? I'm running a fairly new system, but on some of these missions I'm spending more time staring at the load screen than actually doing the drat mission. Other than that I'm having a blast, glad I finally sat down and seriously played this.

Do you have any character/texture replacement mods? I used to have character replacement mods, and the loading times went from a few seconds to close to a minute.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

mania posted:

Do you have any character/texture replacement mods? I used to have character replacement mods, and the loading times went from a few seconds to close to a minute.

I very well might. I installed the Clan Mod and think I did choose a couple of the texture mods. Is there any way to remove them short of doing a full clean reinstall, and if I were to do that would my save games be borked due to no longer having the texture stuff installed?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

mrfreeze posted:

I very well might. I installed the Clan Mod and think I did choose a couple of the texture mods. Is there any way to remove them short of doing a full clean reinstall, and if I were to do that would my save games be borked due to no longer having the texture stuff installed?

No and yes, respectively.

Deal with the wait if you don't want to start over.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah I'll have to just suck it up. Already to the sewers no way I'm starting from scratch yet again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Please godmode through the sewers for your sanity.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Unless this is your first time. Everyone must experience it pure once.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

:suicide:

Every time I want to play this game again, the sewers are what make me not bother. I don't care if you can noclip through it. It's just loving awful.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

AbsoluteLlama posted:

:suicide:

Every time I want to play this game again, the sewers are what make me not bother. I don't care if you can noclip through it. It's just loving awful.

Can't you just bypass them completely by going in the backdoor to the Noseferatu hideout in the graveyard? That's what I do, and it seems to work well enough for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's locked until you clear the sewers.

I hate them more than anything, but I feel you miss "the experience" if you don't do it at least once. The first time is the least worst. Also there are some GREAT Lovecraftian journal entries to be found down there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Halloween Jack posted:

In my opinion, the Malk run is 25% awesome poo poo and 75% awfully written dialogue. Worth a run if you're going through multiple times, but not a big priority.

I agree. It gets huge praise because an entirely different dialogue line for a single class is amazing, but a lot of it reads like drunk geeks riffing on Monty Python at some terrible party.

As for the combat heavy endgame; the only thing you have to avoid is spending the last few super expensive dots in anything before you're competent at fighting.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Played it straight except for the underwater part with the giant fan. Did it right, got down the pipe just in time, but reservoir didn't fill for some reason. So said gently caress it and noclipped through.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks to this thread I'm playing this game for the first time and holy crap, it's brilliant! Thanks thread!

On a related note, now Valve are adding Occulus Rift support into the Source SDK, how much fun would it be to get some Bloodlines virtual reality going on, eh?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

6EQUJ5 posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm playing this game for the first time and holy crap, it's brilliant! Thanks thread!

On a related note, now Valve are adding Occulus Rift support into the Source SDK, how much fun would it be to get some Bloodlines virtual reality going on, eh?

Would be pretty cool, but I don't know how well it would work considering there are many actions that occur in third person, and there's no first person equivalent. Also, the Source SDK is incompatible with Bloodlines because it's built on an extremely early version of Source.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I picked this game up after reading this thread and it's been fun so far, I'm playing it as a Tremere. The Ocean hotel part was very cool, it was very atmospheric and made me jump when I fell through the stairs. That graphics are dated but not so badly that it's jarring.

I installed the basic version of the 8.6 game patch, is the Blood Heal ability only available in the plus version? I read about it when I was looking at character creation advice but I don't see it in the game.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yeah, it's only in the Plus Patch.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

null posted:

I picked this game up after reading this thread and it's been fun so far, I'm playing it as a Tremere. The Ocean hotel part was very cool, it was very atmospheric and made me jump when I fell through the stairs. That graphics are dated but not so badly that it's jarring.

I installed the basic version of the 8.6 game patch, is the Blood Heal ability only available in the plus version? I read about it when I was looking at character creation advice but I don't see it in the game.

The hotel scared me shitless when I played it the first time, it was so messed up and even though I've played it many times I picked the game up again last week after 3 years and I STILL loving jumped every time the girl showed up in that loving hotel :argh:

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yeah, it's only in the Plus Patch.

Ok thanks, I was wondering since I know this game is supposed to be buggy. So far I haven't run into many bugs besides an elevator refusing to activate which forced me to reload, and the game crashing after I left it open for a long time.

Demiurge4 posted:

The hotel scared me shitless when I played it the first time, it was so messed up and even though I've played it many times I picked the game up again last week after 3 years and I STILL loving jumped every time the girl showed up in that loving hotel :argh:

Yeah it's kind of ironic considering you're playing a vampire yet you're basically in a horror movie setup. It's not quite The Shining but still a very well done area.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

null posted:

Yeah it's kind of ironic considering you're playing a vampire yet you're basically in a horror movie setup. It's not quite The Shining but still a very well done area.

The team really did a good job of reminding the player that while they are a vampire, that ain't poo poo in the World of Darkness. Including it in the early game is a great foreshadowing of the Kuei-Jin and the Werewolves as unknowns that can veritably gently caress you up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

For those who were asking about Dark a page ago, TotalBiscuit did a WTF Is... on the game and, well, it's pretty well removed any temptation I had of checking it out. It's not a funny trainwreck either, just a bad game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gKqI9vg24

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006