Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Ulysiss posted:

- You must say the callers name 3 times during your conversation
- you must finish the call, not with goodbye but with "Is there anything else I can help you with today ____"

These ones at least are good practice. Even tradies appreciate the common courtesy of the use of their name. It will help, not hinder, building rapport with your callers.

The typing one sounds batshit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
I get really irritated when people I don't know, like employees at call centres and starbucks, call me by my first name. gently caress you, I don't know you and I don't want to, I just want whateverthefuck problem I'm calling about to be resolved.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Nippashish posted:

I get really irritated when people I don't know, like employees at call centres and starbucks, call me by my first name. gently caress you, I don't know you and I don't want to, I just want whateverthefuck problem I'm calling about to be resolved.

It is this reason I never call people by their first names even though I'm required to until I get them to say their last name. I've gotten some heat over it but I meet all my other metrics so I guess my coach just stopped giving a poo poo.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It should be up to the employee to gauge the tone of conversation and use first names or more formal titles. Starbucks has started to push for getting your first name when you order and I don't really like it. When I was in a call centre they were thinking about forcing first names, but decided not to. (Or maybe they did I don't even remember. If they did it didn't last.)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

TokenTrevor posted:

It is this reason I never call people by their first names even though I'm required to until I get them to say their last name. I've gotten some heat over it but I meet all my other metrics so I guess my coach just stopped giving a poo poo.

Good custom title.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Ulysiss posted:

- You must say the callers name 3 times during your conversation
I used to have to do this, and got round it by overdoing it in the security checks.

--And can I have your full name please?
--Thanks for that, Mr Smith. Could you confirm your address please, Mr Smith?
--Excellent. And your date of birth, Mr Smith?

Name 3 times in 20 seconds, rest of the call is your own to do with as you please.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

newtestleper posted:

These ones at least are good practice. Even tradies appreciate the common courtesy of the use of their name. It will help, not hinder, building rapport with your callers.

I completely agree, and even if the rule wasn't in place I would use the callers first name, but putting on a quota is just silly. If you don't think someone has the common courtesy to know how to be polite on the phone, don't employ them.

As for the typing one, I rarely see this enforced, but it does exist. They quite often used it when someone is already getting smoked for something and it's just an extra nugget they can throw in. The idea is that you must be giving your full attention to the customer. How we are expected to remember all the details (our work involves a lot of reference numbers) is beyond me.
Most of the management staff that I interact with are mid-low level (me being a grunt) and they more or less let it go. You know how it is, some executives have a board meeting about how they can improve the customer service level and they come up with a whole bunch of applications that are never going to work in a real life situation, simply because its been years since they have actually spoken to a customer that wasn't earning as much as they are.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

newtestleper posted:

It's not good practice at all, you have been brainwashed into thinking it is.

Having to say someone's name 3 times isn't common courtesy it always sounds forced. Normal human's don't talk that way to each other which is why scripting is stupid.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
"Best practice" varies from call to call. We are talking to humans, and being able to determine how to speak is one of the more important parts of the job.
I get calls from everyone in the company, C levels to factory floor workers. I can usually determine what tone I should use as soon as the other person starts speaking.

There is a reason they are paying humans to answer the phones. People hate talking to machines, and turning human operators into a script nullifies the whole idea.
Sadly, there is not much that we on the phones can do about it, as these decisions are made by management, usually ones far removed from the everyday work.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Good custom title.

I got it from this thread because someone seems to think it's perfectly sensible to call into a business while sobbing about their deceased family member, instead of waiting until they can compose themselves.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

TokenTrevor posted:

I got it from this thread because someone seems to think it's perfectly sensible to call into a business while sobbing about their deceased family member, instead of waiting until they can compose themselves.

I get death calls like once a week, and they're usually pretty easy, but yeah I agree. There's no reason to call and cancel or make arrangements or whatever when your deceased family member is still being embalmed and you can't be coherent. Going to do my best and be really sympathetic and nice when you do! But you shouldn't.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Nippashish posted:

I feel the same way and used it as an excuse whenever I got reprimanded for using sir, miss/ma'am, or Mr./Mrs _____ on all my calls. I didn't know the customers and I wasn't about to assume we were buddies because they pay a bill to the company I work for. I always argued that they weren't calling to make a friend, they were calling to get something fixed so they could continue with their day.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The BBC has a new reality TV show about a call centre in Swansea. I've never seen management so supporting and interactive, also never this ZANY and CRAZY! Wow a call centre job looks like it'd be so fun and rewarding!

e: literally called Call Centre

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

less than three posted:

The BBC has a new reality TV show about a call centre in Swansea. I've never seen management so supporting and interactive, also never this ZANY and CRAZY! Wow a call centre job looks like it'd be so fun and rewarding!

e: literally called Call Centre

And apparently the place they're filming it is getting fined for nuisance calls:

http://www.channel4.com/news/call-centre-fined-nuisance-calls-nev-tv-series-ppi

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

TokenTrevor posted:

At my work we quite often get calls from people complaining that their power has gone out. When I let them know what time we expect it to come back on (say, 2 hours) they start getting upset and tell me "but I have two young children, what am I going to do?" I just think, what? does your son run off AA batteries for gently caress sake? Some parents just don't know what to do when they can't shove their children in front of the TV or computer for 5 hours a day to keep them quiet.

Having said that I do feel sorry for people who call in from the country, in Western Australia a lot of rural properties have their water tied to their electricity. One poor woman rang up once to tell me she had had no power to shower for 2 days and that her cistern had backfired, coating her toilet walls in poo poo. Of course, with no water she couldn't wash it off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Might be headed back to working for the same company but in a non-phone capacity. If they point me in the direction of a phone, though, I might.... I dunno. Rage-poo poo on it or something. Never going back.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
2 years yesterday, and I think I'm now the agent other agents go to kill their careers. I've sat with two guys for intensive training, one of them has been let go, I think the other is on their way out.

"You're such a great trainer" *fires all the people I train*

They are all not really qualified for the job, but that's beside the point.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Look at it this way, they were so hopeless that not even you could straighten them out. You were the last best hope and they couldn't hack it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Fezz posted:

Look at it this way, they were so hopeless that not even you could straighten them out. You were the last best hope and they couldn't hack it.

We're The "top line" technical support. One of the guys didn't even know what a network adapter is, or how to open Network and Sharing. Not a good sign when we deal with a lot of internet connections.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
It's a sad life when you're not qualified to work at a call center... they generally don't care about much more than a pulse.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
It's just another kind of retail really, you just don't get to see the person abusing you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

2 years yesterday, and I think I'm now the agent other agents go to kill their careers. I've sat with two guys for intensive training, one of them has been let go, I think the other is on their way out.

This is actually good for you - you're part of the paperwork. So when it comes to giving that person the boot they list all the things they did to try and help them and one of them is "Gothmog, who's THE BEST, gave them 1:1 coaching but they just didn't take it in. I mean, what more could we do? It's GOTHMOG, man, for serious!"

If they're making a paper trail they won't put someone bad in to do the intensive coaching, they'll find the best person they can so there's no possibility of HR related comeback.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
Hello call center thread. I too once worked in a call center. It turned me into a bitter, bitter person. Before I went there I was a loving and kind person too meek to even step on a daffodil without feeling remorse. Now I hate the human race. I hate them for being the 90% idiots that they are. People say I'm mean; if only they understood.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dryer Lint posted:

Hello call center thread. I too once worked in a call center. It turned me into a bitter, bitter person. Before I went there I was a loving and kind person too meek to even step on a daffodil without feeling remorse. Now I hate the human race. I hate them for being the 90% idiots that they are. People say I'm mean; if only they understood.

This is me. The call center destroyed whatever part of my humanity that retail didn't. I'm not even on the phones anymore. I work in reporting and you think you talk to idiots on the phones? Let me tell you about your bosses boss....

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dryer Lint posted:

I've played MWO with you and I refuse to believe you ever felt remorse about anything ever. :colbert:

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I've been free of call centre life for about four and a half years now, but I put in nearly 5 years on the front line of a major cell phone corp.

One of my favorite parts was loving around with the automated vacation scheduling website. When requesting time off for a day weeks/months/etc ahead, it would only take into account vacation days used up until that point, and nothing afterwards. So if I booked June 19th off, and then later on went in and booked June 18th off, it wouldn't take into account the fact that I also had the 19th off. This lead to many extra, unpaid vacation days that I would take simply to regain my sanity. I think I was about 12 vacation days into the negative by the time I finally quit. Nobody ever caught on, or simply didn't care.

Ahh outsourced call centres, the impact you've had on me.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I just resigned and it feels great.

7 and a half loving years, over 6 in the same position, more bullshit and breaches of workplace fairness than I can count. I'm not moving onto bigger and better things, it's just that their proposed new operations negatively affect me on every single bullet point and completely shits in the face of every 'career' sacrifice I've made - e.g. 4 years ago, to avoid 24/7/365 shift rotations, I volunteered to work permanent overnights which meant I gave up recognition of seniority and any promotional opportunities, and now my new manager who has been with the company 2 years (not his fault, just saying) delivered the news that we're going back to rotation.

I am still angry, but I know that one day very soon I won't have to talk about how much I loving hate this job or even think about what a worthless soul sucking husk of an organisation they are. I would rather be unemployed than let them take what remains of my dignity from me.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
To preface this post, I've already started applying elsewhere.

Apparently, our division, while having no official sales quota, came up short of the unofficial, unstated one, and has been removed from the TV/Internet/Voice bundle queue, and has been added to the DSL only queue, without telling us. Or training us.
At this point, we have to the end of the month to meet our metrics and meet the new sales quota, which has been moved from one sale/agent/month to 5 sales/agent/week.
If this quota and our metrics are not met, our parent company, who outsourced the work to the call center, will not be renewing their contract with my call center.
We're roughly on a death march here.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like and enjoy my call center job, but I work in a corporate call center that only deals with employees of a very large multinational corporation, so everyone tends to act pretty professional and if they don't our managers will contact their managers and then the caller will probably get chewed out for not acting in a way becoming of a business professional.

I'd like to transition into something else eventually but this job is super nice right now! I've been here since August and I have like, actual benefits and poo poo.

I can't imagine having to deal with customers that poo poo sounds awful I feel for you folks.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I like and enjoy my call center job, but I work in a corporate call center that only deals with employees of a very large multinational corporation, so everyone tends to act pretty professional and if they don't our managers will contact their managers and then the caller will probably get chewed out for not acting in a way becoming of a business professional.

I'd like to transition into something else eventually but this job is super nice right now! I've been here since August and I have like, actual benefits and poo poo.

I can't imagine having to deal with customers that poo poo sounds awful I feel for you folks.

Ahhh the optimistic rookies!

The worst part to me WAS the 'business professional' stuff. Six-sigma (really? we're not robots!), broken windows, team posters/boards, team-building exercises, mandatory annual personal plans for career advancement, internal 'universities' etc. It's the same everywhere from reading this thread. I think they teach it at graduate school or something but I could not take the environment at all. It was all such a waste of time and in no way made me more successful professionally. It just taught me how to be a better corporate employee.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah it is, but the job itself is fine.

And actually my bosses this year just told us to mark off the career advancement meeting saying they did it and just skipped it.

It is an insufferable job sometimes but it's not hard and at my desk 95% of the calls I get are resolved on the first call and angry people are the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah some of the corporate poo poo is annoying but it pays relatively well and I've got a goddamn BA in ENGLISH so it's not like I'm finding anything better in the short term. I use all the downtime between calls to read the forums and take online classes.

Hell, I've taken 13 calls in the last 8 hours and the average talk time on my phone is under 8 minutes.

And by business professional stuff I meant, like, not being a shithead on the phone. I've had people swear at me and at our desk cursing automatically flags a call for review. I guess people who have called the desk and been completely unreasonable have gotten fired because their managers didn't think their behavior was acceptable.

It's easier to take bad calls in stride when you know people can and will get punished for being assholes.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 5, 2013

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So I'm actually willingly rejoining the call center world in a few weeks!

Last summer I got a job at a company I'd worked at previously (in a part-time admin assistant role, which was basically filing post). It's an insurance broker in the UK that underwrites for a number of different companies, and this specific role was customer service for elderly (50+ generally) people's motor insurance. Honestly, whilst it could be tedious, I really enjoyed it. The annoying/awkward/angry customers were fortunately few and far between, and were vastly outnumbered by the number of awesome old people I got to talk to, a few of whom were just happy to speak to someone :) All the supervisors were cool and there was a minimum of annoying metrics in place, though I did struggle with one or two of the ones they did have (how the gently caress are you supposed to ask someone that's giving up driving if they want to hear about a quote in the future :argh:?)

The hardest part was the deaths. Due to the nature of the company, we would regularly have sons/daughters/husbands/wives/whatever ring up to tell us that the policyholder had passed away. I never really got the hang of it; I would answer the phone with a really friendly/happy tone and try to maintain it throughout the call, and it's hard to keep that up when you're speaking to someone who's just lost their loved one. The worst example of this is a son who rang up. At the time we were pushing for "Third Party Nominees", basically putting a note on the file to say someone can ring on the policy holder's behalf. We were measured on this, and the easiest way I found to do this was to ask during the initial security checks. Anyway, the call went something like this:

Me: :)
Policy Holder's son: :(

:): Good morning, you're through to EvilHawk, how can I help?
:(: Yeah I need to cancel a policy...
:): That's fine, can I take your policy number please [:( gives policy number]. Okay and I just need you to confirm the name, address, and postcode for me.
:(: Sure it's [gives details]
:): Wonderful. At this point I'd like to advise you that you can nominate someone as a third party nominee. What this means is that you give the details of someone you know, and they can ring on your behalf if you are on holiday, or in the hospital, or something...
:(: Well [Policy Holder] has just died this morning...
:): Oh :stonk:

He didn't make any indication that he wasn't the PH, which happens more times than I care to think about (our guidance was that if they knew the Data Protection stuff (name/address/car make/reg) and didn't sound too suspicious it wasn't our problem), but it still makes things drat awkward for the rest of the conversation.

Anyway, now that I'm done with uni, I got in contact with them and they want me back! This company is really good for promoting from within - I started with my friend last summer and he's moved into a much better non-phone job on better pay already. I'm sure I'll have some new stories for you all soon enough!

browntony
Oct 23, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Wow I am really glad the call center I work at has none of this nonsense going on in it.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hell, I've taken 13 calls in the last 8 hours and the average talk time on my phone is under 8 minutes.

Wow that does sound pretty cruisy. At my work we have a little green, orange or red phone that appears on our screen when there are a certain amount of people waiting in line. it appears at least 4-5 times a day so its not even worth putting the phone down. Having said that it is rather funny when you see all the bosses come round shouting "green jellybean! Everyone on the phone, we've got a green jellybean!" (the icon does look a lot like a jellybean)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
In a ten hour shift I'll max out at 145 calls with an average handle time of 2:45 :smithicide:

To be fair, nobody ever told me to take that many calls or have such low handle time, but they sure as poo poo don't care if it ever stretches out to a less blistering pace.

Also since our scheduling department are complete mongoloids, I get to have a pretty brutal full red pillar to post Saturday with average holding customers at 70 with peak at 100+.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My job is with a university. It's basically completely disabused me of any ideas about the value of higher education I might have had to spend my work shifts talking to students and faculty. Oh, you've called us 20 times in the last month, including three times in a two-day period, to ask how to change column widths in Excel? Clearly you're in the right place.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Post poste posted:

To preface this post, I've already started applying elsewhere.

Apparently, our division, while having no official sales quota, came up short of the unofficial, unstated one, and has been removed from the TV/Internet/Voice bundle queue, and has been added to the DSL only queue, without telling us. Or training us.
At this point, we have to the end of the month to meet our metrics and meet the new sales quota, which has been moved from one sale/agent/month to 5 sales/agent/week.
If this quota and our metrics are not met, our parent company, who outsourced the work to the call center, will not be renewing their contract with my call center.
We're roughly on a death march here.

They did that to us about two years ago when I started, and they're pushing sales hard on us now. They're going to continue to push harder for that revenue.

I still don't sell poo poo. I'll do it if it falls in my lap, which is enough to make my supervisor happy, but holy poo poo to do some of the guys in my department complain about it. Well, they complain about EVERYTHING, you wouldn't think they had a surprisingly cushy call center job.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Pope Guilty posted:

My job is with a university. It's basically completely disabused me of any ideas about the value of higher education I might have had to spend my work shifts talking to students and faculty. Oh, you've called us 20 times in the last month, including three times in a two-day period, to ask how to change column widths in Excel? Clearly you're in the right place.

Yup. I worry and wonder how some of these folks got/are here. Having to read to a Literary MA is a very strange experience.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Aerofallosov posted:

Yup. I worry and wonder how some of these folks got/are here. Having to read to a Literary MA is a very strange experience.

I once had to explain the concept of email forwarding to somebody that our accounts system assured me was a Computer Science professor. Surreal.

Also one guy used to call in ALL THE TIME and was not literate- like, he could get by, but would only answer vaguely about what an error message, for example, said, and if you asked him for the exact text, you could hear him sounding it out. "You cuh-could not be ah-auth- then-tic-cat. Puh-ple-please try agin. Again." I mean, don't get me wrong, I am totally sympathetic to the fact that illiteracy happens, and I really want that guy to get help, but law school is not where you get that help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I swear that no one can pronounce the word 'authentication'. I think I've posted about this before, but it's still true - "It says Outgoing server requires au...authation. authentic. au..." and so on.