Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Heavy Zed posted:

Yeah she seems pretty sincere and is probably a sociopath. It's not that she likes violence, but sometimes it does eliminate problems so...

I also don't think Coyote would take on a disguise and then have little clues on him about his true identity unless he wanted to be recognized.

Renard would probably be able to recognize that it was Coyote in disguise pretty quickly, little clues or no - I think Hetty's just the slightest bit evil (also, her expression in the last panel is great and made me finally pick up a Court-themed avatar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Now people who don't even know Annie want to kill her. She was right, she really DOES bring it out in people! :v:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Fangz posted:

Maybe he/she knows that Renard never would and is just riling him up?

"Evil Antimony is a freedom-denying slave driver" is a weak play, though, considering this page.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
It's good that Reynard has found a little friend to play with.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

seravid posted:

"Evil Antimony is a freedom-denying slave driver" is a weak play, though, considering this page.

God, how would Hetty react to THAT knowledge?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That makes it easy then! She'll never expect it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brightman posted:

That's what I was thinking actually.

Hetty's whole thing could just be this and she's not really serious about anything...but then you look at this:

I'm pretty sure Hetty is genuinely malevolent... just probably not very personally effective at it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I got my Annie In The Forest! It's not bad.

I'm seeing what people mean when they say how nice the big pages are, and Tom really seems to have spent a lot more time per-page compared to the web stuff. It's been obvious for a while that his drawing is improving, but way way more so in the printed pages. There's one full-page drawing of Ysengrin that I had to just stop and stare at for a minute. Really happy with this and can't wait for the next one.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm pretty sure Hetty is genuinely malevolent... just probably not very personally effective at it.

I'm still thinking that she's just really bitter because she is "owned" in the kind of the same way Renard is. She's likely a trickster spirit that got trapped in a doll under someone's (Anthony's) control somehow and is tired of being a slave. He's probably told her that she's expressly forbidden to kill him, so she does her best to get back at him by doing little annoying things like putting fiberglass in his bed, bits of sand in his food, or Nair in his shampoo. None of the things she does are lethal, but because they're in a "grey" area, she's able to get away with it.

Note that in the forest, things like what she's doing (cursing, turning your friend's head into a slug, killing and eating them, etc) are pretty standard among the population.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I'm still thinking that she's just really bitter because she is "owned" in the kind of the same way Renard is. She's likely a trickster spirit that got trapped in a doll under someone's (Anthony's) control somehow and is tired of being a slave. He's probably told her that she's expressly forbidden to kill him, so she does her best to get back at him by doing little annoying things like putting fiberglass in his bed, bits of sand in his food, or Nair in his shampoo. None of the things she does are lethal, but because they're in a "grey" area, she's able to get away with it.

Note that in the forest, things like what she's doing (cursing, turning your friend's head into a slug, killing and eating them, etc) are pretty standard among the population.

according to this page and this page, it seems like we are getting conflicting stories on what Reynard has the capability of doing.

On the first page, he says he can "do nothing to harm" Antimony now. On the second, he reaffirms her ownership and states that he can't even take a new body without her permission.
However, also on the second page he confirms that he destroyed the science fair entries because she "never told him not to do it."

So, disregarding his feelings for her, is he able to kill her because she hasn't explicitly stated that he is not allowed to do it OR is he incapable of killing her because of her ownership?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I noted that Hetty looks like a little doll, so I revisited that page where Zimmy is asleep on a bunch of stuff animals, and guess what I found?

Absolutely nothing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dodgeball posted:

I noted that Hetty looks like a little doll, so I revisited that page where Zimmy is asleep on a bunch of stuff animals, and guess what I found?

Absolutely nothing.

I don't know how I missed Ray and Roast Beef before.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

There's also a little blue alien thingy from Starslip. Are there any other outside webcomic references in that pile?

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

GorfZaplen posted:

I just noticed it for the first time myself. It makes me sad that Achewood doesn't update anymore.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I see the marshmallow cat from Girly.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
That page is exhibit A in my argument that the printed volumes should have the page notes in them.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Oz posted:

according to this page and this page, it seems like we are getting conflicting stories on what Reynard has the capability of doing.

On the first page, he says he can "do nothing to harm" Antimony now. On the second, he reaffirms her ownership and states that he can't even take a new body without her permission.
However, also on the second page he confirms that he destroyed the science fair entries because she "never told him not to do it."

So, disregarding his feelings for her, is he able to kill her because she hasn't explicitly stated that he is not allowed to do it OR is he incapable of killing her because of her ownership?
I think the ownership itself can't be ended without explicit permission. So, he can't change bodies or kill Annie unless she asks him to, because those things would give up her ownership.

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008
I really like Hetty from a storytelling perspective. Her point of view is...unique, and helps us understand more about Renard, and the whole ownership thing in general.

Given his interaction with her so far, I suspect his reaction to the suggestion of killing Annie is going to be something along the lines of "I can't" or some other cop-out. He seems to want the conversation to be as short/minimal as possible.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Vartiter posted:

I really like Hetty from a storytelling perspective. Her point of view is...unique, and helps us understand more about Renard, and the whole ownership thing in general.

My initial dislike of her has gone down a lot. Her character is not as one-dimensional as I'd thought it might be to begin with and I would love to know more about her background. I'm a convert!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Huh. I finally started a full re-read of the strip (from the start instead of strips posted in the thread) and never caught Surma's maiden name before:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=268

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stibnite

Makes me wonder what I'm STILL missing that I won't catch until the three-read.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Wikipedia posted:

It is the most important source for the metalloid antimony.
Layers within layers! :monocle:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

AE-35 Unit posted:

I'm also fairly certain it's the mineral in the picture second from the bottom on this strip:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=303

Antimony & antimonite are too "hairy" looking. I'm sure that's already been covered in this thread though.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

The Red Queen posted:

Huh. I finally started a full re-read of the strip (from the start instead of strips posted in the thread) and never caught Surma's maiden name before:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=268

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stibnite

Makes me wonder what I'm STILL missing that I won't catch until the three-read.

The name Surma also has various meanings that may be relevant as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surma

\/\/\/Edit: I skimmed the article and completely glossed over that entry. Didn't notice it until you said that. My mind is blown further.

Oz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 5, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Oz posted:

The name Surma also has various meanings that may be relevant as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surma

Сурьма - the Russian name for Antimony

:monocle:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Let's just leave it at "Tom's a genius goddamn".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think Renard might just be tolerating Hetty. It wouldn't suprise me if "Adam" isn't real at all and all she is doing is tormenting a bloke who looks a bit like her first owner. I mean she doesn't exactly seem to be doing too hot in the brain department.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

:stare: Jesus, Hetty.
That grin does not promise good things.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Is Renard grinning in that last panel?

e: or at least smiling faintly?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It looks somewhere between an annoyed grimace and a smirk.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It must take a while to get around the court at that size.

He's probably smiling because the conversation turned away from murdering Annie back to making this dude itchy.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 5, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ChairMaster posted:

It must take a while to get around the court at that size.

He's probably smiling because the conversation turned away from murdering Annie back to making this dude itchy.

I don't know, the implication seems to be that making him itchy is part of a ramp up that goes to dark places. Frankly, after initially being charmed by Hetty's character design I'm beginning to dislike her. The sheer malevolence just doesn't feel like a good fit for Renard, the whole interaction just feels a bit flat.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Razorwired posted:

Сурьма - the Russian name for Antimony

:monocle:

Oh come on. Do you guys even google?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cafel posted:

I don't know, the implication seems to be that making him itchy is part of a ramp up that goes to dark places. Frankly, after initially being charmed by Hetty's character design I'm beginning to dislike her. The sheer malevolence just doesn't feel like a good fit for Renard, the whole interaction just feels a bit flat.

I dare say that that might be the point. Renard seems to tolerate Hetty at best because she's another spirit trapped in his circumstance. Her murderous tendencies clearly put him off and her general lack of remorse obviously clashes with the kind soul Renard is deep down. Their interactions don't seem right because they're not. Renard has a bad friend he doesn't like but still spends time with because he's lonely. Hell, every shot of this chapter has been Renard small and alone except when Hetty is involved.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AE-35 Unit posted:

quote:

Antimony compounds are prominent additives for chlorine- and bromine-containing fire retardants found in many commercial and domestic products.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well she is kind of slow at times...

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I have a feeling Hetty is going to slip Renard something to "help" deal with Annie. He's not going to realize, it's going to affect her badly, there will be a horrible misunderstanding where people think he did it on purpose, and a rift will be created. :ohdear:

Meanwhile, Coyote laughs.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I can't imagine Hetty being very effective in her evil. Like, her intentions are terrible and she thinks she's causing unspeakable torment ultimately culminating in Adam's agonizing death, but really his sister's arrangement extends exclusively to annoying sibling pranks.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Olivia42 posted:

I can't imagine Hetty being very effective in her evil. Like, her intentions are terrible and she thinks she's causing unspeakable torment ultimately culminating in Adam's agonizing death, but really his sister's arrangement extends exclusively to annoying sibling pranks.

It seems like Hetty's gearing up to cause unspeakable torment. Maybe a little mercury in Adam's cereal? If that's the case, it will be interesting to see how far Renard will go. He doesn't seem terribly uncomfortable with the idea of breaking into ______ (a lab?), which I find a little troubling.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I reaaaally hate Hettie, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

VanSandman posted:

I reaaaally hate Hettie, you guys.

Yeah, I'm in team anti-Hetty. She's got nothing to recommend her as a person. She's vindictive, she suggests stupid things (not comically or amusingly stupid, just flat out stupid), I don't really care about her story, and she interrupted Renard history time to sigh like a spoiled brat child. At this point I'd be pretty happy if on Monday a rogue truck ran her over so Renard can go back to his walk.

Of course, Tom is probably setting us up and will reveal something that makes me really care about her as a person soon. But until them, I'm hoping a piano falls on her. :colbert: