Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a known issue, 10.1.0.3 is borked, just install a nightly. But not last night's nightly, as that's the one that crashes on boot or something.

Maybe wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Cyanogen mod is good at tricking me with that "stable" label...

E: I'm not actually complaining. At least my phone works this time. I just think it's hilarious. I guess unit tests must not work well for Android/Mobile OS development.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mogomra posted:

Cyanogen mod is good at tricking me with that "stable" label...
I mentioned it earlier, but my opinion is that the 10.1.0 RC series just went on far too long. What happened with d2vzw is atypical, and frankly pretty embarassing.

The long story:

CM 10.1.0-RC1 was tagged on May 8th I think. But 10.1.0 stable wasn't released until June 24th, which was over a month-and-a-half later. Shortly after RC1 was tagged, a bunch of relatively-invasive changes were made to the d2 development (nightly) branch. These changes were left out of 10.1.0 because they were invasive, however the RC series went on long enough that the changes got plenty of testing and became stable themselves. The only problem is that the invasive nature of these changes meant that d2 kernel and userspace code had to be updated in lock-step, but actually existed across multiple code repositories. So, by the end of June, d2 device maintainers really were working with two different device branches that were starting to look drastically different from each other.

To compound that, the SGS4 was released on North American carriers during this time, so all the d2 maintainers were busy bringing jf online. For the most part that didn't have an immediate effect on d2, other than to divide everyone's attention and complicate matters by having maintainers deal with two devices and three branches.

When 10.1.0 was finally released, somehow the camera was borked on d2vzw. I'm not sure how exactly that happened, whether it was borked earlier and no one noticed, or whatever. Anyways, the fix was already in the development (nightly) branch and was pulled in for 10.1.0.1. Unfortunately due to the earlier invasive changes and somewhat drastic code reorganiztion, other changes were accidentally pulled in which broke data. Also, 10.1.0.1 received inadequate testing as the mainter was busy/frustrated and thought he was just trying to get a simple fix out quickly to quiet down the xda rabble (bad idea).

10.1.0.2 was the same story, but worse. For 10.1.0.3 folks noticed there was a bigger problem here, spent some time sorting out the issues, and ended up releasing something that was mostly correct, except for aforementioned headset issue. Whoops.

Meanwhile d2vzw nightlies have been fine throughout this period. They did see addition of new, less-well-tested features like Privacy Guard, but if you didn't bother to use it, it was essentally what 10.1.0 really should've been.

So as I said, if you're on d2, using a recent nightly probably makes the most sense until the next M release.

Mogomra posted:

I guess unit tests must not work well for Android/Mobile OS development.
It's hard to unit test for this stuff. Camera, headset, graphical issues, those pretty much all have to be manually QAed. Maintainers are supposed to QA stuff before stable (and even M) releases, but there's not a formal QA procedure, and most maintainers are overloaded fixing known bugs to spend the appropriate time here. It also hurts that the d2 maintainers are all maintaining 2-3 devices each at this point.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 5, 2013

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Yeah, I feel bad for the people (or one guy?) who maintains d2vzw. Someone posted some stuff on G+ about it, and he genuinely seemed sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't know all the background though. I knew the RCs had been going for a while, but I don't follow CM development close enough to know what's normal.

As for the QA/unit test stuff; Yeah, it would suck to do any kind of bug testing for any Android. Especially with the rate of new poo poo being added by them, and Google. I feel like every time they get CM to a good mix of stable and extra features, the have to drop everything and start from scratch for the next version of Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I could have swore that CM 10.1 had an option to not have to press OK after entering unlock PIN, but now I can't find it...where is it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I could have swore that CM 10.1 had an option to not have to press OK after entering unlock PIN, but now I can't find it...where is it?
Settings > Lockscreen > Screen Security > Quick Unlock

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Settings > Lockscreen > Screen Security > Quick Unlock

Ahh, yes. Thanks.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Quit being dumb, the battery life is fine and if you're really that hard up get a charger. As already mentioned there are a ton of variables.

Tunga posted:

Having said that, 24 hours on a N4 is a bit optimistic if you actually plan to use it for something.

This is largely correct, but if you're like me and don't do a lot you can get some great battery life! Screen on time was around 2.5 hours. Also helping was putting adblocking onto the device. I went from never going into deep sleep to the below. ScarletBrother might try that.

I will say that yesterday I did get some great uptime with screen off music playback. 8 hours for 35% battery drain.

Edit: Realistically does it matter that much in the grand scheme of things? Can't you get cases with extra battery packs in them?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 6, 2013

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Hey, I have a Galaxy Nexus that I just updated to CyanogenMod 10.1 (from 9.1, which I've been using for nearly a year) and my phone is now so unresponsive that I can't even access ROM manager without the app crashing. I found the factory image for 4.2.2. How would I go about reverting back to the factory image?

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Hey, I have a Galaxy Nexus that I just updated to CyanogenMod 10.1 (from 9.1, which I've been using for nearly a year) and my phone is now so unresponsive that I can't even access ROM manager without the app crashing. I found the factory image for 4.2.2. How would I go about reverting back to the factory image?

Download Odin and google the instructions for your Galaxy Nexus. It's mostly just ticking the right boxes, pointing it to your factory image, and being patient while it does its thing.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Wow, there are a lot of old android forums out there.

I have an HTC Incredible I'd like to flatten and use as a development platform- it's my old beater phone that has been with me for years. The problem is that when I try to do the recovery mode or factory reset, it hangs on the white HTC screen.

I've read conflicting information about what is and isn't possible, but I assume my (failed) attempt to load a custom rom from years ago is the culprit, as I successfully rooted the phone but always hung on the backup phase of the process.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
Just tried installing the latest cyanogen nightly build onto my Galaxy S4. It flashed successfully but loops at the cyanogen bootscreen for forever. Did I gently caress something up or is the latest nightly build just borked?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Chronos13 posted:

Just tried installing the latest cyanogen nightly build onto my Galaxy S4. It flashed successfully but loops at the cyanogen bootscreen for forever. Did I gently caress something up or is the latest nightly build just borked?

If you were coming from a different ROM or stock, did you make sure to wipe /data (after backing stuff up)? If not, do that, then try again.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Chronos13 posted:

I'm running this nightly on my S4 and it's not borked. Did you wipe?

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
I ended up restarting the whole process. I was 99% certain that I made sure to wipe prior to the flash on the first try but for whatever reason it seems to work fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AgentX posted:

Download Odin and google the instructions for your Galaxy Nexus. It's mostly just ticking the right boxes, pointing it to your factory image, and being patient while it does its thing.
THIS IS COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

Simply manually boot to recovery and flash a stock image or failing that boot to the bootloader and use fastboot. NEVER use Odin with a Nexus.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

THIS IS COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

Simply manually boot to recovery and flash a stock image or failing that boot to the bootloader and use fastboot. NEVER use Odin with a Nexus.
What's this all about? Odin works fine on the GNex.

Though fastboot is easier and I'd always suggest that people use that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

What's this all about? Odin works fine on the GNex.

Though fastboot is easier and I'd always suggest that people use that.
Odin works, but it's also the only way you could brick a Nexus (by breaking the bootloader). For someone too inexperienced to know how to use fastboot I certainly wouldn't recommend anything that could bork the critical bits.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cheekio posted:

Wow, there are a lot of old android forums out there.

I have an HTC Incredible I'd like to flatten and use as a development platform- it's my old beater phone that has been with me for years. The problem is that when I try to do the recovery mode or factory reset, it hangs on the white HTC screen.

I've read conflicting information about what is and isn't possible, but I assume my (failed) attempt to load a custom rom from years ago is the culprit, as I successfully rooted the phone but always hung on the backup phase of the process.

You're probably better off rebooting into HBOOT mode and then shoving in the newest RUU for the phone. You'll guarantee a scrub back to factory. You may have to relock the bootloader though, if you've unlocked before. 4.08.605.2 will probably be adequate but

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 7, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

Quit being dumb, the battery life is fine and if you're really that hard up get a charger. As already mentioned there are a ton of variables.

No need to be rude. The issue, I discovered after several days away from the office, is that I get terrible cell reception in my office and that's what's draining the battery. Airplane mode for me!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ScarletBrother posted:

No need to be rude. The issue, I discovered after several days away from the office, is that I get terrible cell reception in my office and that's what's draining the battery. Airplane mode for me!

And there isn't an outlet or usb plug in your office?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ScarletBrother posted:

No need to be rude.

My bad dude, I'm not exactly known for my tact but I'm in a rehab program and it's really helping believe it or not.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

And there isn't an outlet or usb plug in your office?

There are indeed both of those things. I've been charging it during the day, I would just prefer not to need to. It's a fine solution.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

ProjektorBoy posted:

You're probably better off rebooting into HBOOT mode and then shoving in the newest RUU for the phone. You'll guarantee a scrub back to factory. You may have to relock the bootloader though, if you've unlocked before. 4.08.605.2 will probably be adequate but

This absolutely, 100% did the trick. Thanks and thanks again. I installed the SDK on my computer to start developing on my fresh new (old) phone and now I've got probably 200 hours of 101 material to go through before I can make anything interesting for it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

ScarletBrother posted:

There are indeed both of those things. I've been charging it during the day, I would just prefer not to need to. It's a fine solution.
Having wifi will help a lot, if your phone doesn't have to hit the cell network for data. If there's a unique wifi network for your office you connect to (or even see) or if you get one of those spiffy NFC tags, you can use it with Tasker or your automation software of choice to enter or leave airplane mode.

Re: battery life, I run CM 10.1 nightlies on my Nex4 with a wifi performance fix and Faux123 kernel and get frankly bloody fantastic life with wifi on all day. I'm not a heavy user though, but with 2hr screen on time and a nice array of push services (LINE, Facebook, full Google suite, Firefox, Skype) and a ROM backup and flash today I finished 18 hours of battery with 64%. Music listening does tend to drain it quick though. I should note I am blessed with great reception though.

As for Privacy Guard it is about the best thing ever. Screw you Facebook. And LINE. And Skype.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Re: battery life, I run CM 10.1 nightlies on my Nex4 with a wifi performance fix and Faux123 kernel and get frankly bloody fantastic life with wifi on all day.

What is this wifi performance fix, and what does it do?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

So, Actually Complete rom dumps of the Google Play Edition HTC One (which really needs a longer name) are out, and bigxie updated his rom. This plus the tbalden kernel (with the settings for logo2menu, logo2wake, and long-press logo2sleep), is ultra next-level own-zone, in that now Everything Actually Works.

(Except the IR Blaster, which no one cares about)

Compared to last week's leak:
  • All stock tether options work again
  • Data Usage doesn't blow up the phone now
  • ...probably other stuff was fixed, too, but those were the only bugs I really knew about.

The tbalden kernel also has a fuckload of customization options surrounding functionality of the capacitive strip, like making the logo area into the menu button, allowing you to wake or sleep the phone via any of the capacitive buttons, etc. The wake/sleep stuff is nice because to me it fixes the retarded placement of the power button on the One.

Oh, and there's also this.

As best I can tell it works perfectly and breaks everything I ever knew about Sense applications. It'll even take Zoes. The gallery app can't *display* Zoes, but poo poo if they can get the camera working a compatible gallery can't be too far off. From reading about it, apparently despite being the "Google Play Edition", the Rom still has all manner of Sense framework stuff sitting in it. So it's not Sense, it's not straight AOSP, it's something else entirely.

All told, this is pretty outstanding for the first actually complete version of this Rom. Can't wait to see what comes out once people actually start hacking on it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

BoyBlunder posted:

What is this wifi performance fix, and what does it do?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2300873

Upshot is that someone took the wifi device config from an LG Optimus G and made it CWM flashable. What it does, exactly, is a mystery to me, and some folks in that XDA thread complain of battery issues. No battery issues for me and what it solved was my wifi speeds sucking, in the sub-1mbit zone, and YouTube not working at all. Some routers exhibit this behaviour with the Nexus 4 apparently, and that fix solved it. I went from YouTube needing to buffer normal video every 10 seconds (basically: unusable) to being able to watch HD videos without a hitch.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Random question, I'm running an older 10.1 CM build, I believe 10.1-2013121. Have any of the newer stable builds gotten rid of the issue where any press becomes a long press after a couple days of no reboot?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

couldcareless posted:

Random question, I'm running an older 10.1 CM build, I believe 10.1-2013121. Have any of the newer stable builds gotten rid of the issue where any press becomes a long press after a couple days of no reboot?

I haven't had that issue in months. I'm on RC4 and have 0 issues.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I haven't had that issue in months. I'm on RC4 and have 0 issues.

Thanks, I'll probably finally get around to updating now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

couldcareless posted:

Thanks, I'll probably finally get around to updating now.

That specific bug was what finally pushed me to install CyanDelta. My strategy was basically to flash to the newest nightly once a week until I didn't have any huge issues and then stuck there.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can somebody advise me on how to suppress this dumb "low memory" error message? It started popping up a few weeks ago on either LiquidSmooth or AOKP, and has now persisted through a few different roms. Currently running CM 10.1.0 on a gnex.

I don't care that memory is low. Android should just kill something to free up space (right?). And when I was running LiquidSmooth with the rambar visible I'd have close to 200 megs of free ram anyways. It's just an annoyance.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

highme posted:

Can somebody advise me on how to suppress this dumb "low memory" error message? It started popping up a few weeks ago on either LiquidSmooth or AOKP, and has now persisted through a few different roms. Currently running CM 10.1.0 on a gnex.

I don't care that memory is low. Android should just kill something to free up space (right?). And when I was running LiquidSmooth with the rambar visible I'd have close to 200 megs of free ram anyways. It's just an annoyance.

You're sure you're not running low on storage memory?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've got 2.5 gigs to spare, but I'll clean some poo poo up and see what happens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

highme posted:

I've got 2.5 gigs to spare, but I'll clean some poo poo up and see what happens.
Once the Galaxy Nexus (or any Nexus) gets below 2GB free the phone will become nearly unusable. It's a known bug. I've never seen this warning though so I can't be sure what's causing it.

SmashingNine
Jun 7, 2007
I know its been several months since I posted my grievances on my inability to do comprehend the complexities of rooting a phone, but I wanted to thank you guys for helping me out, and I'm sure that you've helped other people by spelling it out for my n00b rear end on how exactly to root.

I was wondering, and I may have missed it on my way backwards from the last page, if anyone has figured out how to disable the System Write protection on the HTC Once device, AT&T vesion. I've been looking through the xda forums but it looks like you have to flash a custom kernel which kind of sucks. Maybe I'm still new to the whole flashing of kernels and stuff and don't get that either. If I'm wrong, does anyone have any suggestions to what kernel to flash for the best user experience?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've been away from rom flashing and the rooted thread here for a few months.

ATT GS3 I put cm10 stable on from november and it "just works" and I haven't messed with it.

I'm wanting to try out the 10.1.1 stable but I think I remember something about running 4.2-based roms you're supposed to have a certain ver bootloader or recovery or something?

edit: "Going forward, CM10.1 is no longer compatible with ICS bootloaders on this device. Please update or else you will get assert failures in recovery."

This was non-rooted when it was handed-down to me from my wife in feb, I'm about 75% sure it was JB/4.1 & not ICS, how would I check? (I think she did an ota update to 4.1 while it was still hers)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 11, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

I'm wanting to try out the 10.1.1 stable
You might as well just wait until 10.1.2 is released (shortly), since there's another APK verification vulnerability that's getting patched up.

Wagonburner posted:

how would I check?
Open Terminal Emulator, and enter:
code:
getprop ro.bootloader
If the result matches one of these, you're good. If not, you need to update:

I747UCDLK3
I747MVLDLK4
I747MVLDMF1
I747MUMBLK3
I747MUMBLL1

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You might as well just wait until 10.1.2 is released (shortly), since there's another APK verification vulnerability that's getting patched up.

Open Terminal Emulator, and enter:
code:
getprop ro.bootloader
If the result matches one of these, you're good. If not, you need to update:

I747UCDLK3
I747MVLDLK4
I747MVLDMF1
I747MUMBLK3
I747MUMBLL1

Ok, I'm good for bootloader. No special needs for recovery?

Good to know about 10.1.2. I think I will look in to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

No special needs for recovery?
You do need a recovery that's compatible with Android 4.2, otherwise media paths get messed up due to the addition of multiuser support.

The version of CWM specificed in the CyanogenMod install guide should be sufficient, but really any recent recovery (past few months) should do.