Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
"Oh, yes, those answers work. Now then..."

The room Takoyaki leads you to is dressed up to look like a castle's court from some samurai drama, or at least a drama where neon wall scrolls and virtual keyboards and screens hovering in the air is totally acceptable.

There are a bunch of samurai in here. Approximately zero of them are Japanese.

Citation Needed
@-rep: 20 :: Ω-rep: 71 :: r-rep: 0 :: Hundredth School of Thought
Cognitive neuroscience, neural programming, paleozoology

Xue Lao
@-rep: 59 :: Ω-rep: 0 :: r-rep: 10 :: Hundredth School of Thought
Metaphysics, anarchy, classical electrohouse

Jake Naruto
@-rep: 28 :: Ω-rep: 1 :: r-rep: 44 :: Hundredth School of Thought
Psychosurgery, linguistics, old earth history

The Wu-Tang Secret
@-rep: ?? :: Ω-rep: ?? :: r-rep: ?? :: Hundredth School of Thought
???

The first one to talk is a synth with the most convincing samurai outfit in the room. "Aiya. Fur is murder, guys. Why would you a use a wasteful organic morph and ruin this park? Ick. And more uplifts, too. Well, no worse than humans. You here for surgery or what?"

"Oy oy oy!" Arachne is accosted in a friendly way by a Chinese girl with anarchy symbols on her kimono and carefully styled light hair; she could pass for a courtier except for her face scars and the motherboard rammed through her head behind her left ear. "Leave them alone, you metal gently caress. I want to find out what they're doing here."

An imposing Remade man in golden silk robes eases himself off his throne and towers over you. The fedora and the ponytail loving ruin this guy's look, I tell you what. "You leave them alone too, Xue."

Xue lets go of Arachne and lights a cigarette. Jake bows. "Welcome to our humble home, travellers. What brings you here?"

In the back, a novacrab with sweet shades and a baseball cap just sits there and watches you.

Also the person looking into you is Tsukino Suzume.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sashimi Joe

Joe waves at the novacrab. "Hey, bro." He looks over the humanoid weirdos in the room, then gravitates over to the crustacean, deciding to let the mammals, birds, and post-mammals - and possibly proto-mammals, given that fedora - deal with each other.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 6, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Rani Kaur

Rani points at each one rudely and goes down in the best of Scum diplomacy.

Synth! "Hey, gently caress you, dickshitter."

Girl! "Hey girl. Nice digs; what's with the headmetal?

Remade! "Hey boy. We got some questions to ask you lot."

Novacrab! "Nice."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Thibault Jaurès

"A series of increasingly poor decisions in life," Thibault replies. "Troubleshooters, public profiles available. We would like to talk to you about your financial contributions to certain uplift-related activities."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Joe gets a clawbump. "Hey."

Jack Naruto nods. "Yes, questions are good."

"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom."

"And gently caress the police," Xue shrugs. "Seriously though, can you narrow that down? What kind of uplifts are we talking about? And it's just art."

Citation Needed sneers at these filthy meats like only a robot can. "A bear? Perhaps Doctor Kozlov? Of course he'd never consider a synthetic bear..."

"Ahh... oy, I think it is!" Xue circles Arthur like a shark. "Oh ho ho, this isn't a pod, is it? Holy gently caress, he actually did it."

"Well, we'd never deny you," Jack smiles. "Ask your questions."

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Adan Delgado Mx: 3/5

Adan takes a few awkward steps to the side, turning his back away from the door. He eyes the novacrab warily and tries not to freak out before turning back to the comparatively normal guy in the fedora.

"Well, we figured we'd start with the nature of your financial contributions to Kozlov's pet project... sorry Arthur, not pet pet, but you get me? Anyway, let's start with how well you guys know Kozlov and see where that line of inquiry leads us."

He spares a moment to glance down at himself. Wasteful?

Destrado fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 13, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Arachne
Moxie: [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

[@team: hey, so the person trying to dig up dirt on us is Suzume, whom you might also notice isn't here right now. I know you think she's cool, but I'm pretty sure that makes two-for-two on the dodgy poo poo matrix, so either she's being blackmailed or she's sold us out. Also, being that she isn't here but we are, there's a slim-to-strong possibility that this might be an ambush of some kind. Y'know, just to make Adan flip his poo poo even more.]

Arachne busts out her authentic, hand-made replica Moleskin notepad, and a nanofabbed chunk of graphite. She poses carefully, in a way deliberately designed to make her look like a Serious, Intellectual Journalist, and waits for Jack and the others to speak.

She also sends Xue an IM:

[@ShaolinHeadbanger: dude I loving love your style! headboard+geisha=ace]

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 13, 2013

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

When he sees the message, Adan continues smiling pleasantly at the shonkily-enlightened types in front of him. He slowly takes a step back. He doesn't bother with messaging back, given his track record. His left hand however, seemingly of it's own accord, makes a series of frustrated and frantic movements behind his back at Arachne and the team, in what is apparently the universal gesture for "What the gently caress did I tell you they're going to shoot us all aaaaaaaa"

He continues smiling. He takes another small step back.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Most of you know from the NTech OOC thread but I have been grinding Inverse World conversions all week and I'll be at PAX next weekend, so slow posting again. Heads up!

Jack Naruto nods. "Well, we've had some turnover since then, but I was serving as a magistrate back then--"

"We've only been doing the samurai theme for three months," Xue Lao says.

"--the equivalent of a magistrate, and of course the Wu-Tang Secret has all the records. Citation Needed was here too, I think. He might have lost those memories."

"I'm good," CN says. "Kozlov actually hired one of us to work on his project. He needed expertise with uplift neuroscience. The man was like a mad scientist with genetics and torture but once he smashed together a creature with a human's neuroanatomical formations he couldn't figure out what to do with it."

Arthur nods. "Doctor Brody, yes? He's still there. Good man."

CN snorts. "Brody was a bastard. He acted so smug, like every day was the best day of his life. And he loved eating meat, can you believe? Ugh."

Naruto tries to get things back on track. "We all chipped in a couple of months work for him, here and there. Some of us did networking. I believe Xue Lao's predecessor got into a bit of trouble recruiting his Martian comrades for Kozlov, yes? He was a bit of a baka."

Xue Lao shrugs. "Look, let's cut to the loving chase, right? Are you here about the favours he owes?"

Arthur looks sheepish. "Well, originally this was a simple tour of Logos, but I feel it's best to settle any debts I can while I'm here, yes?"

Lao raises an eyebrow and hides her mouth behind a fan. "Ah, but perhaps that was Kozlov's goal all along?"

"No. I may owe him a debt, but I don't owe his debts, yes? But I'm on a sort of diplomatic mission, so repaying some of them might benefit me. As a philosopher I hope you find that logic sound."

Lao raises an eyebrow at you. "Interesting, isn't he? Looks like Kozlov's raised a fine man. His mind must be fascinating. Speaking of..."

She turns to Citation Needed. He stares back.

"What is it, meatsack?"

"That's the opening you wanted, you ferrous shithead!"

"Excuse me, but that's no way to talk to your clan daimyo."

"Can one of you please crack him so I can reprogram him into someone who isn't a fuckhead?" Lao asks you

[I'll do it,] Tam offers.

Citation Needed steps forward and tries to look official. "You see, there is something in particular he promised us in exchange for our service."

Jake Naruto nods. "We'll accept something of roughly equivalent value, of course, but--"

"Excuse me," CN hisses, "but with all due respect, I'd like to do the negotiations myself."

"Kozlov promised us a neo-bear brain to study," Lao says.

"YOU MEATFUCKER!"

Lao grins. "Look, obviously we're not asking you to brain-scan this guy, but there it is. Got another offer?"

The Wu-Tang Secret offers Joe some noodles.

Like they said, the Hundredth School of Thought don't need his brain in return any more, so if you have something you think is in the same ballpark you can try talking them into it! Feel free to make up anything you can justify through available favours/skills/connections/etc.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Rani Kaur

"...I can get you, like, a lot of drugs. Or other vice, I guess, but I'm not as connected right now. Alcohol? Boytoys or girltoys or whatever outside and in between? Did I mention the drugs? I can get you a lot of drugs. I'm limited to what's on station until the next barge or swarm sails in, mind you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sashimi Joe

Joe absently accepts the noodles. "Thank you."

"I notice you have a schizo and anachronistic tech theme going. Happen to have expertise in obsolete technological systems. Analog electronics, telephony. Mechanical. Even clockwork, and a little bit with combustion energy sources. As a result, have made connections with suppliers of old Earth artifacts. With my experience, can perhaps get you some deals on damaged objects that can be refurbished and restored."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Arachne

'Or I could trade you a favour for a favour - you know who I am and who I know.' Arachne looks serious. 'My terms, though - it's my rep at stake, so nothing I'd find dodgy.'

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
A moment passes in silence, as they think and mesh each other. It feels like two weeks.

Lao raises a hand. "Oh! How many boytoys? And does outside and in between include--"

Citation Needed interrupts. "Nuh uh. I am not having more meats in here. Not even if they're vegans like me."

"Well, I was going to ask about Reapers."

"..." CN does the synth equivalent of opening and closing his mouth a few times, then decides not to go there. "We could probably transfer Kozlov's favour to you if..."

"That's fine," Jake Naruto says.

Lao raises her hand. "Excuse me, but..."

"Alright, alright, we'll take the drugs and such and a lesser favour."

Arachne owes the Thousandth School of Thought a level 4 favour! Totally won't be relevant later.

If you have any questions and such go ahead. Otherwise...

Takoyaki pokes his head in. "Some lady named Suzume is solving the puzzle at the door."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Arachne

Arachne claps her hands once. 'Good! Glad to hear. It's on record that you agreed to my terms, just so no one ends up confused about any of this.'

Takoyaki pokes her head through the door and delivers her message. 'Perfect timing; we wanted to have a word with her, preferably in front of third-party witnesses.' Arachne looks annoyed.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sashimi Joe

Joe tries to get a hang of the chopsticks. These things are tricky without fingers. He waves a free limb at Arachne. "She owes us a favor. Significant. Will call it in. Should resolve her part of this." Joe gives up on the chopsticks and shovels the rest of the noodles in. He hands the bowl back the crab. "Thanks, bro."

Joe scuttles off out the door to meet Suzume on the path, lighting his pipe as he goes. "Suzume! Hello. Haven't seen you in a while. Working on something you're involved in it seems. Could use a hand."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

Suzume waves. She's still dressed in the same casual clothes she had on the train, though she's missing her shoes for some reason.

"Hey. So I probably should have asked before, but what's with the bear?"

"Hey," Arthur says.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sashimi Joe

"This is Arthur. Arthur, Suzume. Old friend." Joe puffs away for a moment. "Arthur comes to us from Doctor Kozlov. Suspect you know the name. Trying to sort out of some of his debts, as some seem to think Arthur has inherited them."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thibault Jaurés

Thibault clearly find the group's hosts unpleasant. The side benefit is that it makes him shut up for a while. Unfortunately, the familiar sight of Suzume drags him out of his shell again.

"Mostly, Arthur is a bear. He is quite good at it."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

"That gaijin? yeah, I do." Suzume gives Arthur a handshake. "Well, let's see, where do I start..."

"Well, what does People Falling Down Things have to do with it?" Arthur asks. "I didn't know that existed until today. I'm actually looking at the archives, it's very amusing."

Suzume shrugs. "It wasn't really anything. I was part of a hacker team, we just ran that poo poo on the side as something to do. Do you want the full backstory, or..."

"Let's assume I've had access to a wealth of information on the system but not Kozlov's dealings specifically."

"Alright. We didn't know each other before we came to Neptune, but we were all hiding from something so we had something in common, right? We mostly did black hat poo poo, back then. We stopped when some of the others started taking @-rep hits, split up. Haven't seen most of 'em in a while but I doubt they give a gently caress about Kozlov any more. They either hosed off to Glitch or jumped off the grid. I stayed behind 'cause Logos is loving amazing for researching non-human AI models."

"And the job, precisely?" You get the impression Arthur is taking careful notess.

"Alright, so, the thing about the neo-bears is it started as a corp project. They wanted to get ahead of the game and poo poo out a new species of uplift they had all the rights to. That means Kozlov's backers expected the keys to a shiny new bear when he was done. Lucky for you the Fall hosed most of them, but there were still a few, you know, entrepreneurs. The remains of some corps got absorbed by other corps. That kind of poo poo. Kozlov paid us to scrub out what was left."

""Scrub out"?"

"We egocast across Luna and Mars and hosed every piece of data anyone could use to claim ownership of what was left. And a lot of other data so nobody figured out what we were doing. I tried wiping out a few details people could use to find him, but he moved anyway so that was a wash... Unless someone digs up a forgotten cache on Earth or some poo poo you guys are legally free. After that I stayed on to hide his activities while he got new support in the outer system."

"And the payment?"

"Well..." Suzume sucks air through her teeth. "I dunno. I mean, he paid me for some of it, and it's not that big a deal any more, but... Kozlov said he'd brought a bunch of Earth relics with him and he promised me one. One specific relic. I mean, I don't need to be paid in Earth relics, but if you can get it..."

Suzume owes you a level 4 favour from the first mission if you don't think you'll need to call on her.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Arachne
Moxie: [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]

'That's an interesting backstory - I mean, I can't verify any of it right now, but it's certainly interesting. What I'd like to know is why you were there immediately before we were attacked on the Sushi Train and then conveniently bailed into another carriage, and why you've been tracking us online ever since. Call me paranoid - and, ugh, how I hate to say this - but I think our security expert here,' she points at Adan, 'would agree, that strikes me as ever-so-slightly dodgy.'

Rolling Kinesics to see if Suzume is telling the truth, since digging up her backstory online is going to take longer: 84 48 vs. 60+10, a regular success.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 2, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Rani Kaur

"Lao. Girl. I am Scum. We got Skinesthesia givin' us calls asking how we do some of the body poo poo we do. For my 18th birthday my ship got together and made me a custom built Sylph morph with...uh....well. Dad thought it was wonderful and called me his little apsara, until word got out what it - look, anyways, don't ask me if the comfort boys got this or that - you just tell me what you want them to have."

Contacts: Autonomists for MAXIMUM DRUGS (60): 1d100 21

After making a few calls to ensure she has the proper amount of drugs ready, Rani turns her attention to the newcomer.

"This bear is loving radical is what he is."

Then she listens to the story, spacing this one post out even more!

"Suz. Look. We super chill tight weed-covered shoujo yaoi buds, right? Come on girl, you been suspicious. Come clean with me. We can talk payment and all that ish soon enough."

Persuasion: Come on, girl (50): 1d100 45

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Adan shrugs apologetically at Suzume after Arachne's gesture. "I wouldn't take it personally, I find nearly everything highly suspicious." He eyes flicker briefly to the Hundredth School congregation. He pauses.

"But no seriously, people showing up just before we were about to get shot at sets off more alarm bells than usual," his hand taps the holster behind his back, as a tic. He consciously moves his hand away, but not all that far. "I'm not entirely convinced we're not about to get shot at right now. It seems to be a theme with you."

He seems to suddenly decide something, and his breath slows down as he seems to look somewhere past Suzume.

"But really. Settle us down some and tell us what we're missing. Arthur hasn't obviously tried to kill me yet, so he's in my good books."

_____
(9:50:55 PM) Destrado: Actually Ettin can I edit in an empathic scan?
(9:51:10 PM) Destrado: Just so it can FAIL MISERABLY again.
(9:53:18 PM) Ettin: Sure!
Superfluous Empathic Scan: Sense 65: 1d100 99
(9:59:03 PM) Destrado: ...
(9:59:06 PM) Destrado: Yup, called it.

I guess I'll spend another moxie to make that a regular failure. Two strain

Destrado fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 2, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

"Chikushou! The train was a coincidence, I was on my way to some personal business. I switched carriages because you and Thibault here were eating each other over politics and Rani was looking at me like she was stuck in loving Yomi-no-kuni."

"The tracking... uh, at first it was just to check what you guys were up to? I figured you were playing that AR game with the bears and someone got carried away and started shooting, but... well, I know most of you guys, I can spot the signs. You are totally on a Troubleshooter op where someone wants to shoot you. I wasn't going to rock up and get hosed up in a firefight. This morph is very tender."

She rubs the back of her neck. "Sorry if I spooked you, I guess."

Adan finds her unreadable, but Arachne is pretty sure she's on the level despite being cagey about her recent personal business. Her hacker story checks out, though you might want to do your own digging for the details.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 2, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Arachne
Moxie: [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]

[@team: body language says she's telling the truth about not selling us out as far as she knows. She's not entirely clean about her biz on the train, though. Probably level re: Kozlov, can't tell more without a lot of digging.]

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 2, 2013

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Adan sighs, his eyes flickering over Arachne's message. "Well, this is as convinced as I'm going to get today. What kind of relics did Kozlov bring with him? What'd he promise you? The only Earth relic I've seen on Logos is... well, me. And the value's depreciated some."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
"He and his team brought enough personal effects to make themselves at home for a few years," Arthur strokes his chin. "Do you mean..."

Suzume looks out of a handy window and stares into the distance, wistfully and dramatically.

"It's something I used to have, too. I guess I just wanted the memories back. I've tried piecing another relic together through my contacts, but I've never got my hands on all of it..."

"The complete Sailor Moon series box set."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Rani Kaur

"Can't you just download that poo poo? Also, is this place authentic or offensive or both? Just curious."

Destrado as someone who made an Async in Ettin's previous EP game, I FEEL YOUR FAILURE PAIN.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

"Well yeah, I have the whole thing, but that's not the same experience as a physical set. Don't worry about it though."

"And this place is about as authentic as Avian Elvis but I like it. So what's the scoop? Is that all you wanted or is Sailor Galaxia about to show up and try to spirit Arthur away or what? He hasn't gotten into any duels, has he? That robot vegan freak is a loving iaijutsu master."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thibault Jaurés

"What is wrong with avian Elvis?"

The Titanian looks perturbed. More than normal.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
"Nothing, he's cool! I'm just saying if you want a historically authentic Elvis you need more lard and less feathers."

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Adan Mx: 2/5

Adan visibly restrains himself from asking about Avian Elvis.

"As much as I'd like to help you recover the undoubtedly priceless treasure of Sailor Moons, we need to get back to buying Arthur out of hock before some other debtor pops up to sort of shoot at us again. 'Bear Bail' is kind of pencilled in for the rest of the day's schedule. So unless you've got some pointers on where the next one's coming from..."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

"That depends, who the gently caress's shooting at him over some other dude's debt?"

Suzume will totally flex her networking/knowing-things skills for you on this.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Adan puts on his best nonchalant noir detective voice, practised endlessly on informants in the seediest bars and alleyways in the Jovian system.

"What do you know about Noustra?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

"That guy? Yeah -- wait, he's after Arthur?"

"Ha ha. Wow. poo poo. You know what, it's not even Arthur's debt, just put me in touch with Kozlov and we'll talk it out. I'll mesh you or something when I'm out of gun range."

Suzume tries pointing towards the nearest exit with gun fingers and nonchalantly walking that way while pointing a smile at you.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Adan sticks his hands in his coat pockets and keeps a nonchalant pace with Suzume. Nonchalantly. "Oh, hey, where are we headed? Couldn't help but notice that you weren't answering the question."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sashimi Joe

Joe follows along as well, puffing away, but he's more alert now. He spins off a fork to call the S-Triple-C duty officer. [Current mission expanding. Escalating to Courier. Pending current inquiry may need to escalate further, potentially to Tahoma. Will advise.]

While he's doing this, he chimes in on Adan's line of questioning. "On official Troubleshooter business, I'm afraid. Appreciate your cooperation. Please, explain who this Noustra is."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Tsukino Suzume

Suzume looks around. "Okay, gently caress, you got me."

"Noustra is one of those singularity seeker fucks. Wanted criminal, at least on Logos. I mean, all seekers should be, but Noustra specifically is like the big seeker crime guy. All his cronies are egos he made himself by editing the poo poo out of forks and templates. I heard his brain got damaged when he uploaded off Earth and he's obsessed with hacking himself a better one. Um, and I think he's wanted on Jupiter. Or somewhere further in?"

"Mostly he uses his psychosurgery poo poo to get hold of other people's work and profit off it. Or smuggles in banned blueprints. That kind of poo poo. loving kusottare is probably already whipping up a bunch of cases with illegal explosives. Hey, speaking of, can I go now?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Rani Kaur

Rani gets a near dreamy look on her face.

"Girl you know ever word to get me going. What I heard right now is 'SHOOT HIM IN HIS GIANT BRAIN.' And girl. You know. You know. That I love shooting giant brains."

She turns to the others.

"And I promise I won't use a HEAP this time."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sashimi Joe

[SCCC, Troubleshooter Sashimi Joe. Escalating to Papyrus. Please forward relevant data regarding Noustra.]

Joe meshes the team. [Have alerted S-Triple-C of threat and requested information on Noustra.]

Taking a moment to swap his pipe to the other side of his beak, Joe raises a few tentacles in a shrug. "Somehow, that does not fully reassure. Would much prefer it if this was not another actual giant brain."

I have Networking: Autonomists, Omeganauts, and Scientists all at 50, so whichever would apply to pry some data from SCCC.
Networking vs 50: 1d100 42

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thibault Jaurès

Thibault blinks languidly, which given his augs is a mechanically-complicated affair.

"Yes, Rani, we are aware. It comes as no great shock, given your decades-long campaign of chemical warfare against grey matter."

• Locked thread