Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Learning her background was funny because it`s probably exactly what you`d expect - semi religious parents, braces for 7 years, big teenage ska fan, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Just started listening, and it's pretty great! Have to say, I feel psyched for Marc. 400 shows!

Edit: loving great show. And Cheech & Chong on Thursday! Totally takes me back to high school.

"Dave? Dave's not here!"

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 24, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Have to say, I feel psyched for Marc. 400 shows!

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Listening to the Iggy Pop interview -- I'm enjoying it, but if you aren't a fan of Iggy then I don't think it'll be of much interest. You can sorta hear that Iggy wears dentures, which is depressing and heartening at the same time. Depressing because it's a reminder that Iggy Pop is super-old, but heartening because if a guy his age can still rock, there's hope for all of us.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've listened to the occasional WTF episodes off and on for the past six months or so, but for some reason over the last week or two something just clicked and I've completely fallen in love with them. I just got the app subscription and have been burning through some of the old, classic episodes like a madman. Maron's a strange dude, but I think the OP is a pretty apt description of him. I've come to enjoy his chats at the top of each show just as much as the actual interviews.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I usually don't like the music episodes that much, but Iggy Pop and Nick Cave in the same week: awesome.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cheech & Chong was a classic IMO. So glad that got recorded before it was too late. And a serious LOL at Cheech saying "Oh, yeah" to Marc telling him there's good Mexican food in Highland Park.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So glad that got recorded before it was too late.

What do you mean?

It was an awesome episode, the perfect combo of subject I really wanted to hear about and guests who were great conversationalists.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I think Tommy Chong had cancer but I thought it was in remission.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Old Janx Spirit posted:

What do you mean?

It was an awesome episode, the perfect combo of subject I really wanted to hear about and guests who were great conversationalists.

They are both really old dudes who have done a ton of drugs.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Groucho Marxist posted:

They are both really old dudes who have done a ton of drugs.

They're both like 90% resin at this point, they'll live forever.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Even though I've never been a huge Cheech & Chong fan, I learned a lot more than I expected from that interview. A lot of the bigger gets do kind of a generic career overview interview where a lot of the stories are familiar to me, but this one was great.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Both guys, especially Chong, came off like scumbags. Also Marc talked to them with a slightly Heeeeyyy voice, which was really pathetic.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought the David Sedaris interview was pretty good, but I liked listening to him talk to Julie Klausner more. Nick Cave should be a good one.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Bundt Cake posted:

Both guys, especially Chong, came off like scumbags.

Really? Scumbags? I thought they seemed great. I'm not arguing with you, that just seems a bit strong.

The Berzerker posted:

I thought the David Sedaris interview was pretty good

I didn't love it, mostly because I wanted to hear more about discussion of craft and humor. The conversation was more lightweight than I wanted. I think Marc was just so pleased that Sedaris liked his book he couldn't think straight.

Sedaris made a good point about the book cover. The big picture of the author does give it that "celebrity bio" vibe. I felt bad when Marc said that it had dropped out of sight. :(

Anyone here watch the whole first season of Maron? I'm waiting for it to come to netflix or whatever. I wasn't impressed with the sample show, but I know some people here liked it. I'm curious to hear how it developed.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Really? Scumbags? I thought they seemed great. I'm not arguing with you, that just seems a bit strong.

Chong's definitely a dirtbag. Marc pretty much let everything slide about this guys different "wives" and the kids he had all over the place, probably because of a combination of Marc being lovely towards women and in love with Cheech and Chong. but you could tell from the conversation there was thread to pull there and Chong didn't really want Marc to do it. Also the judging a guy by how good looking his girlfriend is was a pretty scummy philosophy to share with the world.

Cheech didn't seem as bad but I guess the way they both so readily accepted the inflated praise Marc was heaping on them bugged me. You guys were great, you changed comedy! Yeah. We did.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Anyone here watch the whole first season of Maron? I'm waiting for it to come to netflix or whatever. I wasn't impressed with the sample show, but I know some people here liked it. I'm curious to hear how it developed.

I did. I thought it was kinda weak at the start of the season - it basically felt like every episode was "Marc fucks a different girl and not-very-hilarious-hilarity ensues" - but I thought it got a lot better towards the end of the season when he meets the show's version of Jessica and the episodes that followed. I hope it gets a second season.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I absolutely loved Maron. Wish the show had more episodes in its first batch, but what he had was fantastic. And I think he's a fine actor, since he's playing himself. People have a weird idea that he can't portray himself in a show he writes and produces and acts in.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
He was pretty awkward at first, and if you're familiar with some of his material it's weird to see it re-done in a sitcom (similar to Legit). Ultimately I really enjoyed it, and some of the non-funny parts were pretty dark/intense.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
Do IFC's shows end up on Netflix?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Do IFC's shows end up on Netflix?

Seems like it. Comedy bang bang did at least.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Drunkboxer posted:

Seems like it. Comedy bang bang did at least.

WHAT?! (Loses an entire day)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Apoplexy posted:

I absolutely loved Maron. Wish the show had more episodes in its first batch, but what he had was fantastic. And I think he's a fine actor, since he's playing himself. People have a weird idea that he can't portray himself in a show he writes and produces and acts in.

That's not weird at all. Some people can write, some can produce and some can act. Some can to all or some of those. Acting, even as a character named Marc Maron, is very different from the director telling him to just act like himself.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Happy Hippo posted:

That's not weird at all. Some people can write, some can produce and some can act. Some can to all or some of those. Acting, even as a character named Marc Maron, is very different from the director telling him to just act like himself.

You really come to appreciate Eminem's performance as 'himself' in 8 Mile when you see 50 Cent try to play 'himself' in Get Rich or Die Trying.

Acting is acting, whether you're playing a version of yourself or not. It doesn't just come easily. For the record I thought Maron started a little stilted but got better.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I thought Marc did pretty well considering he had only one previous acting role yet had to transition into being in EVERY scene in his show (of the four episodes I watched). I've seen comics with waaaaaay more acting experience struggle in guest spots or even supporting roles. And that's nowhere near the emotional range you need to carry a show so focused on one character.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought the Don Barris episode was great. I love when Maron has on people from his past, love the whole Kinison thing.

e: Goddamn, yesterday's live episode is outstanding

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 6, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does Simon Pegg's voice sound really low in this interview or is it just me?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Does Simon Pegg's voice sound really low in this interview or is it just me?

It's his real-life voice.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hot drat Maynard James Keenan next week!!!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I can't think of an episode I would skip harder.

I really liked this week's episodes. Simon Pegg was already on Nerdist a while ago but he's entertaining, and Alex Guarnaschelli was really funny too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

The Berzerker posted:

I can't think of an episode I would skip harder.

I'm a huge Tool fan of many years, but Maynard seems to put a good bit of effort into being fairly boring and normal.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
I am a huge fan of Tool & APC but yeah, Maynard is pretty much the worst. I'd love to hear Adam Jones on WTF tho, I bet he has some great stories from his SFX days working on Jurassic Park and such.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't know what the hell ya'll are talking about. I loved MJK on the Joe Rogan podcast. Maynard has a very dry sense of humor but I like his views on a lot of things.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

ChickenArise posted:

I'm a huge Tool fan of many years, but Maynard seems to put a good bit of effort into being fairly boring and normal.

It was a pretty good interview in my opinion, and I say that as a fan of Tool, and not A Tool Fan. This was evidenced pretty clearly by my wishing for the majority of the interview that Maron would have stopped pushing to "get to the Tool stuff man" but overall it was good. I guess I'm just a sucker for the mundane poo poo that famous people have had to do and put up with, like designing layouts for pet stores. And hearing about how he went about the wine thing was also pretty great.

And, new Tool album is apparently in the works. Which is always a good time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked that interview with Pegg. Maron was oddly prepared for once and he also avoids the thing a lot of interviews with Pegg have done and that's just focus on his friendship with Nick Frost. I'm sure Pegg appreciated talking about himself for once.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was actually the opposite. I'm not a tool fan so hearing about working in a pet shop and stuff was quite dull. I was more interested in the music stuff but you could tell he was really bored of discussing that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Michael McKean and Catherine O'Hara this week. That is loving awesome.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

marc maron new stand up on netflix, thinky pain

pretty good

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
Yeah, Thinky Pain was pretty good. Worth watching, although I feel like it's not the best record of his stand up.

So, in the intro to today's show, Marc has just revealed that he's broken up with Jessica. It had seemed clear that things were going badly the last few shows, and given who he is, this is hardly a surprise, but still, I feel bad. I'm listening to it now, and he's keeping his cool, but he sounds pretty hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Yeah, Thinky Pain was pretty good. Worth watching, although I feel like it's not the best record of his stand up.

So, in the intro to today's show, Marc has just revealed that he's broken up with Jessica. It had seemed clear that things were going badly the last few shows, and given who he is, this is hardly a surprise, but still, I feel bad. I'm listening to it now, and he's keeping his cool, but he sounds pretty hurt.

They went from engaged/talking about babies to broken up pretty fast, but then again I guess I haven't been listening to all the recent episodes.

• Locked thread