Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Orv posted:

E; Fun fact: A perfectly timed roll will negate all fall damage and the stun. (Probably to a point but I haven't found it yet.)
Just hold roll while you're in midair, you'll notice your character will tilt slightly, this means you'll land on impact. Note that this will not save you from fatal damage. If the fall would kill you, you will take the damage and die.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Whats insulting about mobs is that they are worth 1xp for each member. That's ridiculous.
Basic starter guide which you probably know a lot of already but I'll write it up anyways.

The very very first thing you need to do is make your way to the town as soon as you spawn so you have a safe area to hang out.

Blue/white mobs are too easy for you, so they're going to give less experience, and at level 1 that's pretty much 1 xp. If you kill orangish things that aren't too red, you can get a lot more experience, and they aren't too tough. The redder it is, the harder, so you just wanna go for light orange things. This varies based on the mob, of course. Some mobs have attack patterns that are harder than others, and you'll need to learn and figure out what these are.

This is a really important pro-tip: If you want to make killing mobs a lot easier, find wandering friendly NPCs (humanoids with blue health bars), aggro enemies and pull them to the friendly NPC. The NPC will join in the battle, often dealing a lot more damage than you at low levels, as well as tanking the mob (until you draw too much threat). You still gain experience as long as you have damaged the enemy, so use NPCs to their fullest! You can even find groups of 3-5 friendly NPCs that can just rip through mobs. Be careful that you don't walk into a group of hostile NPCs though - they look the same but have red health bars. I'm still using NPCs at level 13 to assist me in fights with harder mobs just because the extra damage is really useful. When fighting field bosses, these NPCs often can't really tank the boss, but if you keep aggro and kite him around, they can provide a substantial damage increase.

While you're at level 1, you also have free reign to switch between your two classes, so you can experiment and see if one's better than the other (Ninja > Assassin, Water Mage > Fire Mage). Figure out which weapon's best for you, too. For rogues, the longsword is pretty great since it's really hard to miss your combo attacks. If you figure out that you just don't want to use a certain weapon, or you want to put a weapon off 'til later, you can sell some of your starter weapons to get a little copper, and buy some armor with that. Makes survival a lot easier.

Grab a pet as soon as you can. Look in your generic vendor shop, pick up whatever pet food it sells, go find that pet and tame it. They can often grab aggro away from you and let you wail on the enemy for a bit. Also pick up a handful of glass flasks, take them to water (town well), pull up your crafting menu and make water flasks in the last category. Mix those water flasks with heartflowers lying around to get health potions, which can be used mid-combat.

Also, stay the hell away from any magic using enemies - wizards, witches, humanoid npcs that have wands, bracelets, staves, rods, etc. These bastards will tear you a new one so drat fast if you're not prepared.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fewyn
Apr 6, 2009

Tres Burritos posted:

Seriously, I don't think people understand what that means anymore.

But... but... but... I paid money for it and it should be perfect with no bugs whatsoever!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This description is pretty much perfect.

"Did you miss early EverQuest? It's back, in cube form!"

Kerbal Space Program is in alpha but that game is actually fun with zero grinding involved.

And when Kerbal Space Program was first released it had about a dozen rocket parts, one planet and no trajectory UI.

I assume you're not honestly puzzled why a game that became publicly available a few days ago has less content than a game that's been playable for a year or more.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Chalks posted:

I assume you're not honestly puzzled why a game that became publicly available a few days ago has less content than a game that's been playable for a year or more.
People might be spoiled by the Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress not-alphas. :shobon:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo, quote is not edit. Nothing to see here.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Haha yeah; if you want to compare Cube World to Kerbal Space Program, Cube World wins by a loving mile; KSP was barely even a game when it was first available to the public, it was more like a simple physics simulator. Took a year of development to get to where it is now.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah I'm not doing that tedious bullshit. I'm not a kid anymore who can devote hours to games. I'm not going to try to walk around forever hunting a boss to try to lure him over to a group of friendlies. I have a few hours to drop in and play. If I have to spend that time running all over the place then I'm out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The existence of highly polished long-form (will be in alpha for years) alphas does not absolve anything else carrying the tag of being feature incomplete/unfun/etc.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah I'm not doing that tedious bullshit. I'm not a kid anymore who can devote hours to games. I'm not going to try to walk around forever hunting a boss to try to lure him over to a group of friendlies. I have a few hours to drop in and play. If I have to spend that time running all over the place then I'm out.

I think we understand you're not satisfied with the game.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
There's a new patch available:

quote:

Patchnotes:
:siren:- Added an option to invert the y-axis:siren:
- Fixed a bug where MP could be regenerated with the 'O' key
- Fixed a bug where players could sell non-existing items from their inventory
- Improved some launcher issues

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Tres Burritos posted:

Seriously, I don't think people understand what that means anymore.

Kerbal Space Program is in alpha but that game is actually fun with zero grinding involved.

Holy poo poo. Can you be more entitled? It's an alpha.

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.

Adam Bowen posted:

The reason I'm slightly annoyed is that the gameplay is nothing like the games that were quoted as inspiration. Probably the most honest comparison for the current state of Cube World is that it's Minecraft meets early Everquest. The goal of the game is to spend hours upon hours grinding one set of mobs, eventually getting strong enough to grind the next set of mobs, repeat forever.

The game is absolutely nothing like this. The start is really rough, yes. Once you get going though the game really becomes a hell of a lot of fun.

http://www.twitch.tv/sctx/b/425920845

This is the recording of a bit of our travels last night. Let me know how often you see us grinding anything in it.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You are aware that open alphas exist so that the developer can see what the public thinks of the game. Do they think something is unbalanced, do they think this bit needs work, how about this over here? This game is not perfect. No game is perfect when it is just released as an alpha. It won't start being what the final product will be until we get to beta. At what point did he say move a boss mob? He just said move mobs to friendly NPCs. Ignore. Here is a quick tip At level 1-3 if you are by yourself, you will be killed by bosses.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 5, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I actually like the game a whole lot even with its shortcomings (which I presonally think have more to do with the design than the game being feature-incompleteness) and I will probably play a lot more of it over the weekend, but can we drop this whole "it's an Alpha don't complain" nonsense? If you are charging money for a product, then people have a right to feel that they aren't getting their moneys worth from that product you just sold them. This has nothing to do with a false sense of entitlement or a misunderstanding of what alpha means.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
edit: :( patch server appears to be down? It tells me there's a Cube.exe update but won't actually let me get it.

gatesealer posted:

At what point did he say move a boss mob? He just said move mobs to friendly NPCs. Here is a quick tip At level 1-3 if you are by yourself, you will be killed by bosses.
Well.. it was just a suggestion of what I do, but I kinda did mention it. ;)

quote:

When fighting field bosses, these NPCs often can't really tank the boss, but if you keep aggro and kite him around, they can provide a substantial damage increase.

Most of the time, I don't go out and actively search out friendly units though, it's just a "if i see one, use it since it's a tool" kind of thing. Starting out though they might be really helpful since you're horribly squishy at the start.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 5, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, uh, so this game is ridiculously cool, even in its unfinished state. I was running with PerrineClostermann and we decided to say "gently caress it" to killing bosses, and instead decided to follow this one westward bound road. Like 15 minutes later we're in a new region near a new town checking out all the new terrain and features. Perrine made a good point about how this game pretty much gets the whole exploration thing down pat and I cannot agree more.

edit:

Adam Bowen posted:

The reason I'm slightly annoyed is that the gameplay is nothing like the games that were quoted as inspiration. Probably the most honest comparison for the current state of Cube World is that it's Minecraft meets early Everquest. The goal of the game is to spend hours upon hours grinding one set of mobs, eventually getting strong enough to grind the next set of mobs, repeat forever.

Yeah, the start is pretty rough and the game did not 'click' for me until today when I joined up with some other guy and we leveled up really quick while bantering. Playing with others really does help alleviate some of the early-game grind, as you'll tear through monsters like no other. Once you get over that hump you can pretty safely do your own thing in single-player.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 5, 2013

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Some things aren't really explained in the game so here's a few helpful tips:

- When crafting multiple items, you don't have to click for every craft, you can just hold down the mouse button. This goes for pretty much any ability.

- The sweat drop things below your pet portrait is its stamina/hydration bar. You use it when you ride the pet and when it runs out it'll throw you off. You can replenish it by walking into water with it. If you're in town you can jump into the well :v:

- If you want to change your 'spec' of your class, all you have to do is run into a town and find your class trainer. Class trainers are the ones standing on platforms in I believe the adventurer's district. Find the one that looks like your class (the mage will have a staff for example), stand next to them and open your skill tree. You will now have the option to change spec for a small fee.

- Bosses (the swords on the minimap) gives waaaaaay more experience than anything else you can do. In the early levels most of them are hard to impossible but it gets better later. Don't grind. Grinding is dumb and boring.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Al! posted:

I actually like the game a whole lot even with its shortcomings (which I presonally think have more to do with the design than the game being feature-incompleteness) and I will probably play a lot more of it over the weekend, but can we drop this whole "it's an Alpha don't complain" nonsense? If you are charging money for a product, then people have a right to feel that they aren't getting their moneys worth from that product you just sold them. This has nothing to do with a false sense of entitlement or a misunderstanding of what alpha means.

No it has entirely to do with misunderstanding what alpha means. This is why alphas usually aren't made public because the public has a poor understanding of the software development cycle.

You paid $20 and the game is broken, feature incomplete or are there and just plain do not work, bugs are everywhere, crashes all the time, and it ends up wiping out your boot partition on your PC and you have to reinstall Windows? Sorry to hea--oh, you mean you paid $20 for the alpha? Then you just got exactly what you paid for.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

gatesealer posted:

At level 1-3 if you are by yourself, you will be killed by bosses.

False. You might be killed by the bosses if solo, but a Ninja or Guardian with shield can beat them solo provided you do so intelligently and have at least a few potions. It may be possible with other classes as well, but I can personally only attest to those two.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Ovenmaster posted:

- When crafting multiple items, you don't have to click for every craft, you can just hold down the mouse button. This goes for pretty much any ability.

- If you want to change your 'spec' of your class, all you have to do is run into a town and find your class trainer. Class trainers are the ones standing on platforms in I believe the adventurer's district. Find the one that looks like your class (the mage will have a staff for example), stand next to them and open your skill tree. You will now have the option to change spec for a small fee.
To add onto these:

1) For things that can be done by holding down the button (crafting with mouse1, skill use with 123 [automatically triggers when off cooldown], walking), you can press the button and then while the button is held, alt-tab out. The game only checks when you press the button down and when you release the button, but it can't get the "release the button" event if you release it in another program. By doing this you can easily craft a batch of 50 potions without having to sit there holding the button down for a couple minutes.

2) Assuming this is talking about changing class, you can also actually remove points in your skills by doing the same thing, using rightclick to take them out.

Underwhelmed posted:

False. You might be killed by the bosses if solo, but a Ninja or Guardian with shield can beat them solo provided you do so intelligently and have at least a few potions. It may be possible with other classes as well, but I can personally only attest to those two.
Yeah, you can definitely take down a lot of bosses solo as Ninja, but dear god it takes a long time when you're low level. 0.2 0.2 0.2 0.2 0.4 0.2 0.2, oh a fully charged special for 30 damage. :geno:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 5, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually the swords are quests, not bosses. Bosses have a special purple name and drop a spirit cube and you'll encounter random roaming bosses all the time. The bosses with quests to kill them tho give you platinum (which is used to upgrade equipment to your current power level and a big wad of XP.

Completing quests is the only way to get platinum too, so if you want to keep your sweet-rear end blue weapon all the way with you, better start murdering bosses!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Ovenmaster posted:

- The sweat drop things below your pet portrait is its stamina/hydration bar. You use it when you ride the pet and when it runs out it'll throw you off. You can replenish it by walking into water with it. If you're in town you can jump into the well :v:

- Bosses (the swords on the minimap) gives waaaaaay more experience than anything else you can do. In the early levels most of them are hard to impossible but it gets better later. Don't grind. Grinding is dumb and boring.

You can change specs in the field by right clicking talents, or swapping talents. It'll charge you a fee to confirm.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Another thing to remember is that the game starts you out with basically no equipment and what equipment you do start off with is easily replaced. Having armor for your feet, hands, shoulders and torso gives you such an incredible bonus to AC, HP, Attack Speed (tempo) and regen (if you are a mana regenning class) that it makes a world of difference.

A fast attacking pet also helps a lot.

I'm wondering what class people are choosing who are getting turned off by the game (I'm betting it is warrior), if you just want to play the game for shits and giggles while it gets patched and further fleshed out, then I highly suggest water mage and get yourself a cat of lemon beetle for a pet.

Also, the reason there are strong mobs in the "starting" area is because that is supposed to suit you till around level 6 or so, once you start exploring far enough away from the starting area (a very long way away at that usually), you'll start hitting things with names that are orange/red with +2/3/etc tacked onto the end of their name. Wolfram has set the game up to try and provide things for you to fight regardless of how high a level you are and I think it is pretty balanced in that regard. Most red mobs don't gently caress with you unless you get right on top of them (unless they are raccoons, squirrels or wizard/witches).

Seriously, get 3-4 others together with you, poo poo is a blast. We spent probably four hours last night just exploring trying to find new biomes and hunting for caves for precious iron, gold and silver. We had about 5 guys around level 5-8 and were even dragging a level 2 guy around with us in orange+2 mob areas and he seemed to be having a fun time too.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Rawrbomb posted:

You can change specs in the field by right clicking talents, or swapping talents. It'll charge you a fee to confirm.

Only if you stand near your class trainer, otherwise it'll just say "Requires Class Trainer" in red text and "Learn" will be greyed out.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Enzer posted:

Also, the reason there are strong mobs in the "starting" area is because that is supposed to suit you till around level 6 or so, once you start exploring far enough away from the starting area (a very long way away at that usually), you'll start hitting things with names that are orange/red with +2/3/etc tacked onto the end of their name. Wolfram has set the game up to try and provide things for you to fight regardless of how high a level you are and I think it is pretty balanced in that regard. Most red mobs don't gently caress with you unless you get right on top of them (unless they are raccoons, squirrels or wizard/witches).
Yep, every single region/zone in the game randomly generates enemies and content from power level 1 all the way up to power level 100, so no matter what your level is, you will find enemies to fight in the region that will be stronger than you.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

floor is lava posted:

Holy poo poo. Can you be more entitled? It's an alpha.

I paid money for a product. The alpha status doesn't matter. I was expecting something fun but didn't receive that. The advertised video shows adventure across multiple worlds, drop in and play fun, when in reality it is akin to a Korean F2P MMO. Feeling a sense of bait and switch is not entitlement. It is disappointment.

Something being in alpha doesn't absolve it from someone pointing out its faults.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 5, 2013

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

I have never been able to beat a boss as a solo guardian. I actually had to switch to a berserker and then suddenly everything died.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I paid money for a product. The alpha status doesn't matter. I was expecting something fun but didn't receive that. The advertised video shows adventure across multiple worlds, drop in and play fun, when in reality it is akin to a Korean F2P MMO. Feeling a sense of bait and switch is not entitlement. It is disappointment.

Something being in alpha doesn't absolve it from someone pointing out its faults.

Cool, you don't like it in alpha. Leave your feedback on the official forums and come back when it's in beta to see if you can have fun with it again.

Things not required of you: continuing to post the same thing over and over in this thread. We get it, you don't like it. Why are you wasting time telling that to us over and over?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

gatesealer posted:

I have never been able to beat a boss as a solo guardian. I actually had to switch to a berserker and then suddenly everything died.

It varies heavily depending on the boss type; mage bosses will gently caress your poo poo up so hard you have no idea but giant chicken bosses? Not so much.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

clandestine cactus posted:

Cool, you don't like it in alpha. Leave your feedback on the official forums and come back when it's in beta to see if you can have fun with it again.

Things not required of you: continuing to post the same thing over and over in this thread. We get it, you don't like it. Why are you wasting time telling that to us over and over?

People are excusing the game as "its in alpha" for gripes I have with the game and attempting to shout down anyone who has an issue with it. The user I quoted said having an issue with a game in alpha was being "entitled". I'm perfectly fine with revisiting the game at a later time as I do see the potential it offers. I plan on doing this actually. However this does not excuse the behavior of the people in this thread. If a person offers a critique of a game, her or she is shouted down, yelled at, insulted, and told to get out of the thread. People in this thread need to understand that someone having a problem with this alpha is not a personal insult against them.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

How does one apply spirit cubes to a weapon? I have a wind spirit and undead spirit with enough power to use both, but can't seem to put them on my greatsword or club.

Game is pretty fun (when played with others) although 2 or 3 towns per region would be nice.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Neruz posted:

It varies heavily depending on the boss type; mage bosses will gently caress your poo poo up so hard you have no idea but giant chicken bosses? Not so much.

Might be because the first boss I tried to kill was a turtle and I could do no damage to it.

babies havin rabies posted:

How does one apply spirit cubes to a weapon? I have a wind spirit and undead spirit with enough power to use both, but can't seem to put them on my greatsword or club.

Game is pretty fun (when played with others) although 2 or 3 towns per region would be nice.

What power is the weapon? Something I noticed was that if your weapon doesn't match the power of the spirit cube, then it won't appear when you customize it.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

double post

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

babies havin rabies posted:

I'm not entirely sure, I can't seem to put spirit cubes onto swords, but I can tape them just fine to bracelets... where they don't seem to do anything much at all. I don't think they're quite working properly.

I am fairly sure that the power level of the cube needs to be approximately similar to the power level of the weapon, but the whole process for upgrading weapons is a bit opaque to me atm.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Some of your comments are completely baffling though. This game has more in common with Ninja Gaiden's combat than Everquest's. This is the kind of poo poo that makes people think you're just playing the game completely wrong, and then complaining that this jackhammer is really hard to swing like a pick.

Orv
May 4, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

People are excusing the game as "its in alpha" for gripes I have with the game and attempting to shout down anyone who has an issue with it. The user I quoted said having an issue with a game in alpha was being "entitled". I'm perfectly fine with revisiting the game at a later time as I do see the potential it offers. I plan on doing this actually. However this does not excuse the behavior of the people in this thread. If a person offers a critique of a game, her or she is shouted down, yelled at, insulted, and told to get out of the thread. People in this thread need to understand that someone having a problem with this alpha is not a personal insult against them.

Actually you're the only one with criticisms that we've told to shut up, because you keep going on when you've already stated your points. Quite good points, in fact, some of which I agree with, but you're being a poo poo.

For those that want to explore something other than rolling grassland forever, if you use seed 9876543 there is a lava province to the NW, a snow one to the N and a desert pyramid dungeon on the border of the starting area and the lava fields.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You're not just point out faults in an unfinished game but telling people that it's lovely and never should buy it even though it's an unfinished game. You see, the problem here is that games like Minecraft that existed in a several year long beta and has skewed your expectations of what an unfinished game should be.

If you're willing to give an opinion on an unfinished game with unreasonable expectations I can give my opinion on your terrible opinion. Welcome to having a discussion with another human being.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Desert cities are pretty cool

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

floor is lava posted:

You're not just point out faults in an unfinished game but telling people that it's lovely and never should buy it even though it's an unfinished game.
He didn't say never buy it, he said not to buy it right now and if they never fix the faults then to not buy it. In fact, he even said:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

VarXX posted:

It's also a very very early alpha. Nothing is stopping him from remedying this at some point.
Yep. I understand. There is a ton of potential here. I'm not saying this game will never be worth your time. I'm saying that, as the alpha stands now, it isn't worth the asking price. Its best to wait.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone who finds this game too hard should REALLY try out a Ninja (Rogue class).

It's what I'd expect a single player experience to be because you can definitely take down 3 orange mobs no sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

gatesealer posted:

Might be because the first boss I tried to kill was a turtle and I could do no damage to it.

What power is the weapon? Something I noticed was that if your weapon doesn't match the power of the spirit cube, then it won't appear when you customize it.

The club is ~9.5, the greatsword is ~11.8, and the cubes are both 14. I'll try something with power higher than the cubes.

• Locked thread