Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Bolivia and Evo Morales – US refuses to comment on Morales plane but admits contact with other nations over potential Snowden flights"

Telegraph:

I think that's Len McCluskey, leader of the Unite trade union. Bit of a kerfuffle about selecting the new Labour candidate for Falkirk.

Independent:

Daily Mail:
"Ex executives of the BBC are being asked to hand back their over inflated severance payouts."

Express:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Possibility of three foxes (a new record) if those things in the Dalek's grills are fox ears. Other than that pretty dang meh day for comics. If anything its the Mail one that comes off best, the others are all rather samey.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket
Since when was Charles going out with Jaws?

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

neck face posted:

Since when was Charles going out with Jaws?

I think it's meant to be Jim Davidson. I wonder if the foxes multiplying in that felt tip guy's cartoons is part of a long game gag about fox hunting?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the ousting of Mohamed Morsi – A series of raids and arrests has decimated the Muslim Brotherhood's senior ranks and consolidated the military's hold on Egypt"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Rupert Murdoch secret tapes: News Corp defends head

Daily Mail:
"The army has taken control in Egypt."

Express:

Big News Sign!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Big News Sign!

This makes me irrationally angry.

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Mail:
"The army has taken control in Egypt."

This one is fantastic. Probably only because I'm comparing it to yesterday's Express one. Express guy should be shot.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They appear to be employing the first Doctor as a butler, shouldn't he be stopping them instead of pointing out where Charles is?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I found the fox, but where is the bird? :supaburn:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That's Phillip reading the paper, and given he recently visited the Doctor Who set I assume Charles is leading the Daleks to oust his mum?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

big scary monsters posted:

Looks like this was a rush job, maybe he forgot? :ohdear: (Check out the leaves continuing into the foreground wall at the top right.)

The Mail cartoon is actually not bad. For context, Prince Charles and Camilla visited the cast and crew of Doctor Who yesterday.

Pictured: Two inhuman parasitical life forms seeking dominion over mankind and the destruction of the weak, standing next to some Daleks.

That might be a bit mean.

:3: :mitt:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

big scary monsters posted:

I think the bird is part of the tree's bark. I found two things that could be extremely rudimentary birds. Bit disappointing really but sometimes a v shape is all you get.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Looks sort of like a magpie on the left bottom side of the tree.

Kegluneq posted:

Pictured: Two inhuman parasitical life forms seeking dominion over mankind and the destruction of the weak, standing next to some Daleks.

That might be a bit mean.

Don't feel bad. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/14/prince-charles-estate-tax-avoidance

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I thought that black blob on the left side of the tree might be a treecreeper in silhouette. Not very convincing as a bird, but what else is it there for?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Big News Sign!

I see the racism but I'm trying to understand the joke, "oh Murray will fight a Pole a day but we have to deal with Romanians all year long!" Those are two different countries, too.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Big News Sign!

You can see the outline of the leaves from the tree through the wall.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

NightHunter posted:

Shoddy Eastern European workmanship I'll bet, taking all our construction jobs (nothing to do with the government not funding enough training and apprenticeships here in the UK), rurgh rurgh

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

NightHunter posted:

Kegluneq posted:

Looks like this was a rush job, maybe he forgot? :ohdear: (Check out the leaves continuing into the foreground wall at the top right.)
:colbert: (Although ignore 'foreground' there, I've no idea what I was thinking.)

The lack of a clear bird is oddly disturbing to me. :(

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Kegluneq posted:

:colbert: (Although ignore 'foreground' there, I've no idea what I was thinking.)

The lack of a clear bird is oddly disturbing to me. :(

drat :(

I thought that might have been the bird for a second or two before I realised what it was.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oh dear me posted:

I thought that black blob on the left side of the tree might be a treecreeper in silhouette. Not very convincing as a bird, but what else is it there for?
Yeah, this is my best bet for the bird too. Either that or he worked himself into such a rage over them drat foreigns that he just forgot to draw one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Birds are out, Thomas just realised many of them are immigrants. Good old British foxes only from now on

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurtofan posted:

I see the racism but I'm trying to understand the joke, "oh Murray will fight a Pole a day but we have to deal with Romanians all year long!" Those are two different countries, too.

There is no joke, it's just straight up racism - "all these Eastern Europeans are the same".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I must have scanned every pixel with my eyes looking for a bird. If leaving it out was intentional he's a genius at trolling me.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

McCluskey says Labour decision to call police over Falkirk row is 'disgraceful'.
Ed Miliband criticises 'machine politics' after party report claimed Unite members were unwittingly signed up to Labour party.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/05/labour-police-falkirk-selection-row

Labour refuses to rule out EU referendum.
William Hague mocks Labour 'confusion' as shadow foreign secretary says decision will be based on national interest.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/05/labour-refuses-rule-out-eu-referendum

Telegraph:

Generally Tories are back to their old game of not shuting the gently caress up about Europe.

This whole Unite row with labour is a Tories wet dream, doesn't help that the BBC keeps having anti Union types and Nigel Farage on BBC News the last 2 days. The bigger issue is Labour wanting their cake and eat it, want all the union funding but at the same time want to be tory-lite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23192888

quote:

[..]Unite's stated strategy is to "shift the balance in the party away from middle class academics and professionals towards people who have actually represented workers and fought the boss.[..]

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 5, 2013

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

From the If... archives:

Captain Middletar calls in some reinforcements from HMS Redundant to deal with Mr Kipling.

Apparently the padre is a borrow of someone else's long-forgotten (?) character. Oh, and I think this is the first appearance of the occasional recurring character God, barring the odd "If...God was an X" strip in the original format.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sorry but what is an oik?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sorry but what is an oik?

A common person. A pleb. A prole. A ghastly fellow. Not a good egg. It's a class based insult.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Milotic posted:

A common person. A pleb. A prole. A ghastly fellow. Not a good egg. It's a class based insult.

In the Drones Club stories by P.G. Wodehouse, members were referred to as "eggs", "beans", and "crumpets". Are any of those terms still in use? Is it purely an upper-class thing?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
It's hard to tell how much of those is legitimate slang and how much is the narrator's weirdness.

Nota bene: I'm not British, not upper-class and ESL.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
oik noun, Brit colloq someone thought of as inferior, especially because of being rude, ignorant, badly educated or lower class.

prefect posted:

In the Drones Club stories by P.G. Wodehouse, members were referred to as "eggs", "beans", and "crumpets". Are any of those terms still in use? Is it purely an upper-class thing?

Not really. Someone may be a good egg, or an old bean, or refer to an woman as "a nice bit of crumpet", but I'd consider it archaic. Something old people might say. As for upper class, I wouldn't have a clue.

Independent:

After W Holman Hunt.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

These days crumpet is used to refer to a woman you find attractive. I occasionally use "old bean" and "good egg" myself, but that's more because they're fun turns of phrases. Anecdotal, but it's not that common amongst the upper-middle classes in the south east.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fluo posted:

Labour refuses to rule out EU referendum.
William Hague mocks Labour 'confusion' as shadow foreign secretary says decision will be based on national interest.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/05/labour-refuses-rule-out-eu-referendum

Haha. I generally prefer Rowson to Bell for the single panel comics, but If is something special.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
And what Saturday is complete without Stephen Collins?

:ohdear:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for that little bit of relief Cloud Potato. Might try my hand at making a cats that can say bollocks avatar.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

And what Saturday is complete without Stephen Collins?

:ohdear:

I love the guy with the 'Do Pigeons have eyelids?' sign.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Alan Sugar - Sex Mole sounds like an old The Day Today headline.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Just one story today: The deportation of Abu Qatada.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Abu Qatada and Theresa May – 'Wholesale changes' to human rights legislation promised after lengthy legal battle that cost taxpayer £1.7m"

Independent:

Express:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is it me or are there fox ears just peeking out of the sea in the bottom right?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Geokinesis posted:

Is it me or are there fox ears just peeking out of the sea in the bottom right?

It's not just you. I hope he can swim OK :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

For added fun, try to work out what kind of shot that was.

• Locked thread