Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I have to find a way to curb my altitis I'm hsving to much fun with all of my alts to focus on my mage even though he needs the most being at 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Can I get an invite for Poofart please

firetrucks
Apr 19, 2008
Could I get an invite? My name is Fevers.

Johnson79
Sep 4, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Problem is that Rift can be choked back by just one core of your CPU.

i7 920@3.2Ghz, 18GB Ram, GTX 680 2GB, 240GB SSD

My graphical settings

My CPU and GPU usage in Tempest Bay at around 2:00 AM EST on a weekday.

Go into your Rift.cfg file and look for "MainThreadCPU = 3" under client. It default sets everything to be on core 3, but if you change it to 0 that lets Rift use whatever core has the least load.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Can I get an invite? My name is Varrack

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnson79 posted:

Go into your Rift.cfg file and look for "MainThreadCPU = 3" under client. It default sets everything to be on core 3, but if you change it to 0 that lets Rift use whatever core has the least load.

Can this please go in to the OP?

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011
Can I get an invite for Neracair?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
A friend just had the best description of Guardians... "fantasy republicans"

Anaxandrides
Jun 7, 2012

Every summer day in the desert is like a vacation in hell.
Is this game still worth playing? I played before the expansion came out, and half the stuff in this thread now reads like Greek to me. Are Bard still run, and is Roguetanking still a near death sentence until you get buffs up?

I see that the F2P model is good, from what people say. How long does it take to go 50-60?

Dudermancer
Dec 30, 2012
Ended up making a cleric alt which needs an invite, name is Arasmus.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
In as Nukkahead, looking forward to playing with you guys

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Anaxandrides posted:

Is this game still worth playing? I played before the expansion came out, and half the stuff in this thread now reads like Greek to me. Are Bard still run, and is Roguetanking still a near death sentence until you get buffs up?

I see that the F2P model is good, from what people say. How long does it take to go 50-60?

Bard is great, especially with Tactician, and rogue tanking has been fun and easy (up to level 40 so far at least).

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
It makes me sad Ember Isle is kinda a wasteland right now. I wish they would tweak it to make it relevant because it is a great zone in my opinion and as big as of an accomplishment as it was for them to release so much content for free back in the day.

On a side note are people willing to go do HK and ID for some of us who didn't get to see the content just for shits and giggles. I have everything but my Akylios achievement in Hk, and never saw ID before my old guide fell apart, and I would love to see some of the content I was once so pumped to experience but never got to.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Johnson79 posted:

The devs suggest not doing that

quote:

What about multi-core CPUs, multi-threading, processor affinity, etc?

The short answer is that there's little the player can do to affect this, so don't worry too much about it. Rift divides up the required work into many threads, for separate tasks like networking, audio, animation, particle effects, and rendering. If you have a multi-core CPU, these threads will be distributed across the cores and run in parallel. In a perfect world, the work could be split into an infinite number of threads, each with an equal amount of work to do, keeping all the cores working equally. In reality, the work is not infinitely parallelizable, and one primary thread does more work than the others. The CPU core running that thread will show closer to 100% utilization, while the other cores will show less.

The primary thread is bound to a CPU for a few reasons. There are bugs with some BIOSes and CPU drivers which cause timing values to be incorrect if a thread moves between CPUs. Another issue is Windows’ tendency to move threads between CPUs to balance the overall load. If a thread is not bound to a CPU it will look like more CPUs are being utilized, and thus more things are running in parallel. This is not actually the case. The thread is still running in serial, it is just being constantly moved between CPUs. While this will make things look more parallel in task manager, it is actually somewhat slower due to the additional processing required at the OS level to do the context switching. For CPUs where each core has its own cache, this can also incur unnecessary cache misses.

We do recognize that which core this thread runs on can have a significant impact on certain systems. The core the main thread is bound to is exposed in the rift.cfg file, as MainThreadCPU. Valid values are 1…numCPUs, or 0 to specify the thread can run on any CPU.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Except that tip comes from a stickyed thread on the official forums.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Me again, looking for an invite on my other dude named Porksmash

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Would like an invite for my alt Bluenote. Thanks.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hydrogenated posted:

Could I get another invite for Hydroxius. I accepted the invite but for some reason the game decided to be a bastard.

This also happened on Tanisolta. Clicked 'Join Guild' and then it made a sound and did nothing else. Worked fine on Ildralath though.

Elyanna
Jul 2, 2010
Looking for an invite for my warrior Elyata. Thanks. :)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

On a side note are people willing to go do HK and ID for some of us who didn't get to see the content just for shits and giggles. I have everything but my Akylios achievement in Hk, and never saw ID before my old guide fell apart, and I would love to see some of the content I was once so pumped to experience but never got to.

I'm sure people would be up for HK (I would help, even though I already conquered it), and I know a bunch of us still want to do an ID achievement run (and full clear, which we never did :().

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

necrotic posted:

I'm sure people would be up for HK (I would help, even though I already conquered it), and I know a bunch of us still want to do an ID achievement run (and full clear, which we never did :().

I would love to experience this content since I missed Akylios and everything in ID.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I would love to experience this content since I missed Akylios and everything in ID.

How would people feel about doing HK and then (maybe, hopefully) ID on Tuesday night? If we don't get to ID on Tuesday we could do it the next week.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

necrotic posted:

How would people feel about doing HK and then (maybe, hopefully) ID on Tuesday night? If we don't get to ID on Tuesday we could do it the next week.

As I recall the major thing stopping us last time we attempted to do ID was that only Hedo and I were available of the people who tank, and the thing that stopped us the time before that was that there are actual mechanics and they do enough damage for them to not be completely ignorable (which is god drat impressive when I have more health fully buffed in MM than I did when I was tanking Ituziel).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Daerc posted:

As I recall the major thing stopping us last time we attempted to do ID was that only Hedo and I were available of the people who tank, and the thing that stopped us the time before that was that there are actual mechanics and they do enough damage for them to not be completely ignorable (which is god drat impressive when I have more health fully buffed in MM than I did when I was tanking Ituziel).

I think the biggest problem was that we had ~5? people.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

deimos posted:

I think the biggest problem was that we had ~5? people.

The most recent time? Yeah, 11 people, 5 60s, and of course it's difficult to get hit or much of anything else relevant to even doing old content sub-60.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
A very thorough guide to Harbinger leveling 1-60 valvalval.net
Click around on the site, these are some quality guides created by the guy who made a majority of the go-to mage guides for pre-SL.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I guess it thought my rogue was still in Everything Is Fine so I guess she could use a reinvite also; her name is Teleisa.

Sep 13, 2007

lsp posted:

A very thorough guide to Harbinger leveling 1-60 valvalval.net
Click around on the site, these are some quality guides created by the guy who made a majority of the go-to mage guides for pre-SL.

I would be really excited if Necromancer became a viable raiding build because I just enjoy the esthetics of it more.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Livestream notes:
- Fireworks should still drop for the next few weeks, summerfest is around the corner
- 2.4 is going to be instance-fest. One large raid that is split into two, an expert version of realm of the fae, and two new chronicles.
- Long rear end list of things to do with dimensions. More interactive objects, right now the roadblock is that a stopgap solution for pets/mounts was made when dimensions were added and expanding their functionality means going back and making a real solution first.
- Gloamwood and stonefield are next on the list to get streamlined like the starter zones were.
- Dendrome puzzle reward will be fixed with the next hotfix on Wednesday. For those that already did it, support can reward the proper level reward at that time.
- Summerfest will have SWIMSUITS! awwwwww yes.
- 3.0 is not around the corner, it is months to a year away. They currently have plans up to 2.7, so we've got at least 4 regular updates first.
- They are not looking at increasing rewards for Patrons, Daglar doesn't want it to be seen as required to enjoy the game. OTOH, account wide mounts are not coming because they do need money.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I just got to 400 hit (I guess 420 is what I actually need?) on my mage. I've been doing experts entirely as a 61 Archon/11 Pyro/4 Harb and 61/ Arch/11 dom/4 Pyro, what should I learn if I want to get in on these Goon raids?

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Eltoasto posted:

Livestream notes:
- Fireworks should still drop for the next few weeks, summerfest is around the corner
- 2.4 is going to be instance-fest. One large raid that is split into two, an expert version of realm of the fae, and two new chronicles.
- Long rear end list of things to do with dimensions. More interactive objects, right now the roadblock is that a stopgap solution for pets/mounts was made when dimensions were added and expanding their functionality means going back and making a real solution first.
- Gloamwood and stonefield are next on the list to get streamlined like the starter zones were.
- Dendrome puzzle reward will be fixed with the next hotfix on Wednesday. For those that already did it, support can reward the proper level reward at that time.
- Summerfest will have SWIMSUITS! awwwwww yes.
- 3.0 is not around the corner, it is months to a year away. They currently have plans up to 2.7, so we've got at least 4 regular updates first.
- They are not looking at increasing rewards for Patrons, Daglar doesn't want it to be seen as required to enjoy the game. OTOH, account wide mounts are not coming because they do need money.

This is some great stuff so soon after the last big patch. A new raid and other events will make the wait for 3.0 more pleasant I hope.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

bakka bakka posted:

I just got to 400 hit (I guess 420 is what I actually need?) on my mage. I've been doing experts entirely as a 61 Archon/11 Pyro/4 Harb and 61/ Arch/11 dom/4 Pyro, what should I learn if I want to get in on these Goon raids?

You need to learn to get off Archon that is my turf*. :argh:

Joking aside, the popular DPS builds right now are 61 Pyro and 61 Warlock, other than that a Chloromancer role is nice to have in case you need to heal. Eltoasto made a really nice effortpost of builds on page 4 of this thread that has the details.

*Or Abu's I guess but he's been really nice and let me do it a lot.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Starwars dimension: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/371360-probably-greatest-user-created-content-ever-made.html

President Evil
Oct 10, 2012
Can I please get an invite for an alt - Zhuul

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Saveron_01 posted:

Depending on what spec. Leveling up I have been using http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2012/11/25/storm-legion-cleric-leveling-guide-the-energizer/ (which was mentioned earlier in the thread), which pretty much handholds you from level 10 to 60.

At level 43 I constantly pull multiple mobs for the AoE, quickly getting through quests or clear as I farm nodes.

So, when it comes to the cleric souls, spreading your points more or less evenly is better than going deep into a particular tree? Good to know.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a player cap for the guild, or can we just add a bunch of alts?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
No cap that I've ever heard of. No problem inviting alts.

Guild invites should be caught up to this post.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Guess that means I can request invites for the alts I might never play :toot:

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 6, 2013

Sep 13, 2007
Tomorrow I (Belos) want to do some crafting rifts. I haven't done any since pre-SL so hopefully they're not overhwhelming. If you've got a crafting lure come on, if you don't that's fine since we'll need bodies. I prefer 60s to make it easy because I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nicehook
Dec 5, 2011
I'll be around after 8pm EST for some crafting rifts.

That is assuming that Rift is fixed by then.

• Locked thread