Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Revolver Bunker posted:

That was before I got back into Transformers and had income to spend. Is he even possible to find in box for a decent price nowadays?

You should be able to find a boxed one for $70-90 depending on condition. If you don't mind Japanese soundbites, I would recommend the Japanese version with its cool sparkly red coloring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I had the same reaction. Those things are like shampoo bottles. I am not some kind of "lol gently caress action masters" guy-- at least they come with a thing that transforms. But TF toys that have absolutely no transforming element at all are just...even as a little kid I'd rather have a small transformer I hated instead of a giant non-transforming Optimus. I'm not calling that kid dumb, I just hope he doesn't have a buyer's remorse hangover when he gets home.

This reminds me of my favorite toy aisle story; I was browsing through the figures and nearby there was a dad on the phone asking (I'll asume his wife) about what toys and characters his two kids wanted. He went something like "Oh.. yeah transformers, right? Oh let's see... oh yeah here's bumblebee!" and he bought two bumblebees, one for each brother. The exact same bumblebee (DOTM deluxe). Like, there even was a different Bumblebee to choose (nitro bee) but nope, two bumblebees. I was completely :psyduck: and almost felt like recommending some neat figures to him, but I felt it'd be awkward and maybe creepy.

Please note that I'm in no way blaming the guy or criticizing him or his kids, it was just one of those experiences when you see how differently guys who aren't compulsive manchildren TF buyers like us interact with the brand.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
My children will never receive a Bumblebee from me. Ever.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Honest Ray posted:

My children will never receive a Bumblebee from me. Ever.

I already have a classics bumblebee set aside for my 8-month-old because that mold rules and fun toys are fun. :)

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

That was before I got back into Transformers and had income to spend. Is he even possible to find in box for a decent price nowadays?

I might sound simple but who/what is that?

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Goldskull posted:

Robots In Disguise Optimus Prime

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I celebrated America's independence by finally putting the stickers on Fort Max. :toot:

Man, you really do get only one chance with those things. Luckily only one sticker really turned out noticeably crooked, and it's on the side of city mode where I can't see it anyway.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I already have a classics bumblebee set aside for my 8-month-old because that mold rules and fun toys are fun. :)
Amen to that, Classics Bumblebee is one of my top Transformers of all time. He's cool in both modes and he's a hoot to transform back and forth. He's also the Transformer that got me back into collecting after taking a decade or so off.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Good news, everyone!

MP Sideswipe is getting a reissue later this year or possibly early next year, and BBTS has him up for preorder at $79.99.

If he for some reason doesn't get a domestic US release, at least this is a fairly reasonable option, and a reason to point and laugh at the poor suckers who paid $160 for it a month ago.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Goldskull posted:

Until 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime came along, the best TF toy ever made

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

Until 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime came along, the best TF toy ever made

And sort of the resounding "WE'RE BACK MOTHERFUCKERS" of vehicle-based TFs after many years of beastformers. One of the all-time greats.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I didn't realize it was so highly regarded. I have a yellow one that I couldn't care less about.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Keldroc posted:

I celebrated America's independence by finally putting the stickers on Fort Max. :toot:

Man, you really do get only one chance with those things. Luckily only one sticker really turned out noticeably crooked, and it's on the side of city mode where I can't see it anyway.

You're going to have a fun time with the new Metroplex then. I spent about an hour yesterday putting them on one and even with needle nose pliers I misaligned at least 10 of them

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Keldroc posted:

Good news, everyone!

MP Sideswipe is getting a reissue later this year or possibly early next year, and BBTS has him up for preorder at $79.99.

If he for some reason doesn't get a domestic US release, at least this is a fairly reasonable option, and a reason to point and laugh at the poor suckers who paid $160 for it a month ago.

Seriously, people paid $160 for MP12? I got mine for $79, but was very disappointed in the quality of it (miscoloured plastics mainly)

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Some crazy person in the UK ended up paying $250 for mine after shipping and everything. (Unfortunately, I only got about $145 of that.)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

You Am I posted:

Seriously, people paid $160 for MP12? I got mine for $79, but was very disappointed in the quality of it (miscoloured plastics mainly)

Yeah there was a licensing scare that made it scarce as gently caress. So any warehouse finds were double the price.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

You're going to have a fun time with the new Metroplex then. I spent about an hour yesterday putting them on one and even with needle nose pliers I misaligned at least 10 of them

Wow, Metroplex has actual stickers? When Hasbro goes old school, they don't mess around.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Alright! I was perfectly content not getting Sideswipe, but this works out even better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Rage posted:

Yeah there was a licensing scare that made it scarce as gently caress. So any warehouse finds were double the price.

drat, should've sold mine off if I knew that. Never been so disappointed with a MP in my life. Plastic tyres and mismatched red :(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Mine's fine on the colouring (or maybe my eyes are just too old and worn out to notice) but yes, the tyres thing was a shame. And it's a pity the doors don't open but other than those two nitpicks, I really dig it, he's ace.

People paying $250 (or even $160) for it though? Mental.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I like rubber tires from an aesthetic point of view, but I'm also okay with having a figure whose tires aren't going to disintegrate 10 years from now.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Keldroc posted:

I like rubber tires from an aesthetic point of view, but I'm also okay with having a figure whose tires aren't going to disintegrate 10 years from now.

The rubber tires on my G1 Red Alert are fine. I think the rubber tire issue was specific to one series.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 5, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Specifically Car Robots. Fire Convoy may have been the first real "WE'RE BACK MOTHERFUCKERS" for vehicular Transformers, but check your fuckin' tires if you have one. I've got an Optimus and Ultra Magnus that have been chilling back in their boxes for the last five years and I'm afraid to look now.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

The rubber tires on my G1 Red Alert are fine. I think the rubber tire issue was specific to one series.

My G1 Ratchet's tires are barely holding together, but he's also the color of a banana at this point, so maybe I got a bad one. Fire Convoy's tires are still good. I dunno, plastic tires just never bothered me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

My RiD Magnus' tires are intact, but the back wheels on my RiD Prime split. They're still on but I wouldn't make him roll out of fear that they'll snap right off. Also while I do love RiD Prime a lot, I've always found that he's a little bit overrated, but still fantastic.

I don't care about Sideswipe's tires, he is still one of the most fun and satisfying masterpieces to me.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Keldroc posted:

My G1 Ratchet's tires are barely holding together, but he's also the color of a banana at this point, so maybe I got a bad one. Fire Convoy's tires are still good. I dunno, plastic tires just never bothered me.

Plastic tires roll like poo poo and they just have a real "cheap" quality to them. I don't mind plastic over diecast though, since a good paint job can look very similar without all the added weight or paint chipping issues.

Do you live in a dry area? Perhaps that plays a role in them cracking?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

Plastic tires roll like poo poo and they just have a real "cheap" quality to them. I don't mind plastic over diecast though, since a good paint job can look very similar without all the added weight or paint chipping issues.

I roll a Transformer maybe three or four times. I display it for years. I'll take the long-lasting option over the "rolls smoothly" option. I'm certainly not against rubber tires, but it would never occur to me to criticize a figure for not having them.

quote:

Do you live in a dry area? Perhaps that plays a role in them cracking?

Ratchet has spent his entire existence in the very moist climate of San Francisco, so I don't think that's it. Many other G1 figures that date back to the same time period with rubber tires show no sign of decay. It's a roll of the dice, it seems, and I'd rather have a guarantee that the figure will be intact in the future. The aesthetic benefits of rubber tires don't outweigh the importance of longevity to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Keldroc posted:

I roll a Transformer maybe three or four times.

While going "Doo-dee-doo-dee-doo". :haw:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Phy posted:

Specifically Car Robots. Fire Convoy may have been the first real "WE'RE BACK MOTHERFUCKERS" for vehicular Transformers, but check your fuckin' tires if you have one. I've got an Optimus and Ultra Magnus that have been chilling back in their boxes for the last five years and I'm afraid to look now.

Can't you just crazy-glue them back together.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I just picked up a skyquake at retail in hopes of swapping him for one of the igear minibots or a classics/henkei Megatron. Any takers?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I just picked up a skyquake at retail in hopes of swapping him for one of the igear minibots or a classics/henkei Megatron. Any takers?

I want him, which mini-bot do you want? (Eddie Bomber said he'd give me one with my next order, which is probably gonna be Hexatron)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Revolver Bunker posted:

This was about the last time I was really into the toys. They immediately followed it up with Armada which were awful toys.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Goddamn it this episode owned. Soundwave is the best Transformer ever, somehow out-sassing Knockout and Starscream combined without even needing a line. When pressed for info he makes a dubstep remix of Prime's question, displays a smiley face, and then crashes his own hard drive. And of course his one line of his own in the show is Soundwave superior Autobots inferior.. Bee actually got a bit of character when And of course later he wrecks everyone's poo poo. And you can tell they're building a conflict between Ratchet and Optimus

If every episode was like this one no one would be complaining. Next show should just be from the cons point of view all the time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I actually watched it because, well, it's 5AM and I had nothing better to do, and that scene sounded interesting. First episode of Prime I've seen since... the 4th episode of season 1, maybe? And yeah, it wasn't bad. I still hate the poo poo out of Optimus every time he opens his mouth. On the plus side, I think there was like two lines of speech total from the kids, and only one from Bumblebee (insofar as you can call it a line). Guess I might actually have to watch the next episode, even though I'll probably never come around to actually liking the show. That's alright. We're not the target audience.

I don't like the characterization of Starscream being so whiny and cowering in front of Megatron all the time. loving referring to him as "Master", even. In my mind he's always been a defiant little snot who isn't afraid to talk poo poo, even if he knows he's gonna get beat for it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

I still hate the poo poo out of Optimus every time he opens his mouth.

It's only by constantly making faux-gravitas-filled speeches that we can finally heal our war-torn planet and protect this planet's most valuable resource....humanity.... :shepicide:

Optimus is the reason I stopped watching. I now actively avoid Optimus in tv shows and comics. I say this as someone that doesn't mind Bumblebee. While people were going bonkers about that latest MP Optimus, all I could see on the shelf (when I passed him up twice) was that boring depressed weirdo from Prime, and the sociopathic warlord from the movies. I don't believe in "Ruined Forever", but Optimus is definitely ruined for right now.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

It's only by constantly making faux-gravitas-filled speeches that we can finally heal our war-torn planet and protect this planet's most valuable resource....humanity.... :shepicide:

Optimus is the reason I stopped watching. I now actively avoid Optimus in tv shows and comics. I say this as someone that doesn't mind Bumblebee. While people were going bonkers about that latest MP Optimus, all I could see on the shelf (when I passed him up twice) was that boring depressed weirdo from Prime, and the sociopathic warlord from the movies. I don't believe in "Ruined Forever", but Optimus is definitely ruined for right now.

In many ways I think Peter Cullen needs a second break from the role as a means to forcefully reboot his personality (i.e Gary Chalk, David Kaye)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Goddamn it this episode owned. Soundwave is the best Transformer ever, somehow out-sassing Knockout and Starscream combined without even needing a line. When pressed for info he makes a dubstep remix of Prime's question, displays a smiley face, and then crashes his own hard drive. And of course his one line of his own in the show is Soundwave superior Autobots inferior.. Bee actually got a bit of character when And of course later he wrecks everyone's poo poo. And you can tell they're building a conflict between Ratchet and Optimus

If every episode was like this one no one would be complaining. Next show should just be from the cons point of view all the time.

I loved how Shockwave finally showed he isn't having any of Starscream's poo poo, and was only pretending to play along. Even the most "plain" decepticon has more personality that the Autobots (sans Smokescreen, WJ and Ratchet, I think). I also like super-serious Magnus just because he's at lest a bit inspired from IDW Magnus. It's been said before but yeah Soundwave is the best, I wish he had a bigger toy. But yeah it's the decepticons who mostly carry this show. The Predaking also became a lot more interesting since I don't know if the whole honor and loyalty thing is a facade, and Megatron is clearly nervous with him around since the guy outclasses both him and OP.

The autobots may be boring but it doesn't make me hate them like some of the movie 'bots do. IMO they just need a little more to be interesting, like, everybody should recognize Optimus' boringness and joke about it, and don't hate me for this but even Bumblebee's beepiness can be somewhat cute instead of movie bee's idiotic radio-talking hyper efficient badass warrior schtick.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 6, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You Am I posted:

Why is Lambor more expensive than the upcoming Masterpiece cars (Bluestreak, Prowl, and Smokescreen)? They were available for $50 on HLJ a while ago.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Szmitten posted:

In many ways I think Peter Cullen needs a second break from the role as a means to forcefully reboot his personality (i.e Gary Chalk, David Kaye)

His characterization has nowhere to go but up so sure, change anything you want. I'm being flip but you're right, he's definitely part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Why is Lambor more expensive than the upcoming Masterpiece cars (Bluestreak, Prowl, and Smokescreen)? They were available for $50 on HLJ a while ago.

Because there was a false panic that Takara-TOMY lost the license for the car and all the people who were hoping Hasbro would do one scrambled to find him after mostp laces sold through their stock. There still is no word if Hasbro will ever do one, but at least now Takara is doing a reissue.