Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Hah. Nothing to do with me, honestly. That fandom is just hugely cultish and really big on brotherhood and family. It's not hard to see how someone could be drawn into that if they are immersed in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Victorkm posted:

Hah. Nothing to do with me, honestly. That fandom is just hugely cultish and really big on brotherhood and family. It's not hard to see how someone could be drawn into that if they are immersed in it.
I listened to them when I was 12 and 13. I was into all of that crap. Then I turned 14. (I can't believe they still exist by the way, that was 13 years ago.)

I just don't see the appeal of adults painting their faces and showering themselves with soda and listening to objectively bad music. With Phish, at least, there's some good music and better drugs.

I try not to be horribly judgmental but it's just a phenomenon that I am fascinated and appalled by.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

As an honest Phish fan and an ICP sympathizer, the idea that either has "better music" or "better drugs" is a myth worth abandoning. It's all good. Embrace the anarchy, with yo busted rear end.

That said, I totally got on to the live call-in recording of Analyze Phish. It remains to be seen if I'll make the final edit, but I got to listen to about forty minutes of it on the phone. It's gonna be a weird episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

escape artist posted:

I just don't see the appeal of adults painting their faces and showering themselves with soda and listening to objectively bad music. With Phish, at least, there's some good music and better drugs.

Beneath the greasepaint and theatrics is a message that speaks to people trying to eke out an existence in dilapidated Rust Belt towns, aware enough to realize they're in a pretty miserable poverty-stricken existence but not exactly in a position to lift themselves out of the mire.

Also, sounds like somebody hasn't heard about the Drug Bridge at the Gathering.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

escape artist posted:

I listened to them when I was 12 and 13. I was into all of that crap. Then I turned 14. (I can't believe they still exist by the way, that was 13 years ago.)

I try not to be horribly judgmental but it's just a phenomenon that I am fascinated and appalled by.

You do realize that there are still 13 year olds right?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You do realize that there are still 13 year olds right?

Yeah but aren't they all into Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and sexting now?

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

No, they're into podcasts, like all aged grizzled cool cats who are in touch with things.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
New Improv4Humans with Tim Meadows, Neil Campbell and Lauren Lapkus!

Did anyone get out to the Del Close Marathon? I heard Besser did a show with Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh and Ian Roberts, which would've been pretty cool to see live. I hope they record an I4H episode someday.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Louis did the ASSSSCAT monologue at the Del Close marathon, which is pretty awesome.

And I4H with that cast is obviously great, Lapkus MVP as always - "Gwinch, get outta heaw!" Besser's impression in the last sketch also killing me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Found this post from a few weeks ago on the Earwolf forum about the VPN schedule:

quote:

Here's the current schedule. So far no HDTGM on the docket, but we still have some empty dates we are hoping to fill! Fingers crossed!

6/13- improv4humans with TBD guest
6/20- Fogelnest Files with Todd Glass
6/27- Who Charted? with guest TBD
7/11- Improv4humans
7/18-Ronna & Beverly with the Sklar Brothers
7/25 - Who Charted? with guest TBD
8/8 - The Fogelnest Files with guest TBD
8/15 - Sklarbro Country with exciting mystery guest!
8/29- Who Charted?
9/5- Improv4Humans
9/12 - The Fogelnest Files
9/26 - Sklarbro Country

Looks like there might not be one tonight? I checked the Twitter accounts of a bunch of Earwolf people and no one's said anything about a live show tonight.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Help Im Alive posted:

Found this post from a few weeks ago on the Earwolf forum about the VPN schedule:

Looks like there might not be one tonight? I checked the Twitter accounts of a bunch of Earwolf people and no one's said anything about a live show tonight.

Nah nobody wants to do anything but drink and eat today. I know people who will work on Thanksgiving or Christmas like it's a normal day but come July 4th they're ghosts.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mob posted:

Nah nobody wants to do anything but drink and eat today. I know people who will work on Thanksgiving or Christmas like it's a normal day but come July 4th they're ghosts.

Oh my bad, you're probably right. I'm in Europe, wasn't thinking of the date.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The lack of CBB on that schedule is disappointing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Scott's probably going to be busy with the tv show and/or promoting the tv show.

I really hope he goes in The Todd Glass Show. He's never been on it, and Todd Glass hasn't been on CBB in quite a while.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

GraPar posted:

Louis did the ASSSSCAT monologue at the Del Close marathon, which is pretty awesome.

And I4H with that cast is obviously great, Lapkus MVP as always - "Gwinch, get outta heaw!" Besser's impression in the last sketch also killing me.

Neil Campbell playing the "weird" kid was the highlight for me, Tim Meadows already set it up nicely with the weird voice part but then Campbell comes along and pulls that out of his bag.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

GraPar posted:

Holy poo poo when Lauren said, "GWINCH, Get outta heaw!" and then kept going, I loving lost it. This was a great I4H. Meadows, Campbell, and Lapkus are always great and together they are extra great!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Has anyone listened to the Who Charted with the A Band Called Death producers?

I just watched the documentary and it's a neat story but I'm almost afraid that the podcast will just be a kind of self masturbatory thing about how great the band and the movie is and so on, some of the documentary almost feels that way (you also get odd things like Frodo and Kid Rock talking in the documentary for whatever reason talking about how great the band is) with the way some of the interviews are cut.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The best thing about Nerd Poker is Blaine's sponsorship messages. And as a huge fan of Sir Richard and all things Glenishmore, I don't say that lightly. It's kind of funny that on "the Brian Posehn and Friends" show, Posehn is the least interesting and amusing one there. He's not annoying or anything, he just always sort of takes a back seat to the other players.

I find Improv4Humans to be hit or miss. One thing that always gets it turned off immediately is when Besser starts doing a Nazi imitation. It seems like such a crutch and so antiquated, and just never amusing. I kind of think it's lost on people under 50 years old that didn't grow up with Hogan's Heroes and Laugh-in.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

The wait for a new season of Mike Detective is like the label on a gift to Hitler's wife: For Eva.

:golfclap:

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Maybe it's a pet peeve you notice particularly or I have lovely memory but I can't recall any specific Nazi sketches that stand out as ofte, except for the episode which (to be fair, pretty relevant to I4H) where Matts..uncle? father? ..had that Nazi tea kettle that turned out to be real and not ironic.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Matt does do a harsh German accent pretty frequently when he is portraying an authority figure. I don't always think of it as a Nazi voice but I could see how someone gets there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

Maybe it's a pet peeve you notice particularly or I have lovely memory but I can't recall any specific Nazi sketches that stand out as ofte, except for the episode which (to be fair, pretty relevant to I4H) where Matts..uncle? father? ..had that Nazi tea kettle that turned out to be real and not ironic.

He did the Nazi thing in the most recent I4H bonus ep, but overall I don't think he does it all that often really.

It's bizarre to me hearing someone say I4H is hit or miss though. I think it's maybe the most consistently funny podcast I listen to. I can't think of any episodes off hand that I really disliked

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I think it's just one of Besser's go-to voices. I distinctly remember him using It on UCB, Crossballs, and I want to say the ASSSSCAT DVD.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Politicalrancor posted:

Matt does do a harsh German accent pretty frequently when he is portraying an authority figure. I don't always think of it as a Nazi voice but I could see how someone gets there.

He defaults to 'harsh German guy' when he has to play someone in charge, yea. I honestly never even heard it as Nazi unless it was specifically "I AM A NAZI", though.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I always think of it as his Pope Benedict voice, personally.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's bizarre to me hearing someone say I4H is hit or miss though. I think it's maybe the most consistently funny podcast I listen to. I can't think of any episodes off hand that I really disliked

A thousand times this. Of all the podcasts I've listened to on Earwolf I4H is by far the most consistent in the quality of its hilariousness. Granted, I've still not listened to The Reality Show Show yet so maybe that eclipses it since you guys are all madly in love with it.

Also, speaking of ASSCAT, here's a Behind the Scenes video that was put up a few days ago. It's amazing how many comedians I recognize in that little back room at UCB, way more than any British comedians (I'm from and live in the UK). The quality of comedy coming out of America for the past few years is just staggering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rl7fRP_q7k

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

barkingclam posted:

I always think of it as his Pope Benedict voice, personally.

Yeah. A Nazi.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

Lugaloco posted:

A thousand times this. Of all the podcasts I've listened to on Earwolf I4H is by far the most consistent in the quality of its hilariousness. Granted, I've still not listened to The Reality Show Show yet so maybe that eclipses it since you guys are all madly in love with it.

Also, speaking of ASSCAT, here's a Behind the Scenes video that was put up a few days ago. It's amazing how many comedians I recognize in that little back room at UCB, way more than any British comedians (I'm from and live in the UK). The quality of comedy coming out of America for the past few years is just staggering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rl7fRP_q7k

Not pictured: Kurt Metzger.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Lugaloco posted:

It's amazing how many comedians I recognize in that little back room at UCB, way more than any British comedians (I'm from and live in the UK). The quality of comedy coming out of America for the past few years is just staggering.

Also British, share these exact sentiments. And agreed on the consistency on I4H, very slightly shaky start but last year or so has been exceptional. Besser should do another Best Of soon though, they're great for getting for other people into it.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Yes, I4H has been on a roll for the past like 6 months or so. It's definitely the podcast I look forward to most during the week.

Also, they were talking about the Monkees movie 'Head' on the most recent episode, and I just finished watching it. Holy poo poo, that movie was amazing. It's almost proto-Tim and Eric at times, and it had me laughing out loud for a good portion. Micky Dolenz is an animal.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
drat, the Analyze Phish episode isn't up yet. They recorded it a week ago! I wonder if they release these a year from the recording date, too...

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The I4H episode with Todd Glass kinda sucked, but otherwise yeah it's been consistently good for a while now. I don't think any of them really match how much I enjoy a really good CBB episode (the 4th anniversary for instance) but there's still be some really good episodes of I4H. Nearly every episode has one of those guests where I think "Oh poo poo [person] is on, he/she is fuckin hilarious I gotta listen to this immediately."

escape artist posted:

drat, the Analyze Phish episode isn't up yet. They recorded it a week ago! I wonder if they release these a year from the recording date, too...

I would assume it'll be on next week. Last year when the tv show started, the week before there were a ton of CBB themed Earwolf shows, like with Scott or Reggie or one of the writers as the guest. So I'm guessing they'll do that again.

I hope Scott Aukerman is on I4H. He's never been on, has he? I can't remember.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 7, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/toast-points/

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Good ep.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Good ep.

Scott never really played a character, though, beyond his "I'm gonna slowly draw weirdness out of you" persona

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Sooo, anyone have any info on them there twitterios if a new RSS was recorded yesterday?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

Sooo, anyone have any info on them there twitterios if a new RSS was recorded yesterday?

Hayes posted this on the Earwolf forums today

Hayes posted:

A lot of you were probably expecting a show this Tuesday, because we said we'd take seven weeks off and it's only been eight weeks. But we're sorry to report that Earwolf brass cancelled the record this weekend, so we had to push it to next Saturday.

Apparently Jeff Ulrich "saw how it went down in Egypt" and was worried Americans would revolt on Independence Day against "one-percenters like me and my friends," so he locked himself in the studio with his wife and his favorite kid. Far as we know he's still there, taking calls for a show he calls "Jeff Ulrich's American Dreamcast."

But hey: it looks like there are some cool Earwolf up-and-comers to hold you over until the alpha dogs get back, right? That thing about Marc Maron's cats, that looks good! And I guess the guy with the weird eye from Wayne's World 2 has a show now? I'd check that out! Anyway, we'll be back next week with a fun guest for sure.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Aw bummer, but in more good news (that I don't really know where to post except here). Drunk History is back baby!
http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/886qyx/drunk-history-elvis-meets-nixon?xrs=eml_20130709_drunkhistory

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
There's a new episode of Analyze Phish! http://www.earwolf.com/episode/a-crazy-moment-in-phishtory/

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The new Analyze Phish is up, Analyze Phishheads.

edit: ^^ beat me to it! I just wish it would hurry up and appear on my iPhone downloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I thought Harris was bad enough by himself as far as being a fan of something is concerned but holy hell does having other Phish fans call in really make a convincing argument to never listen to Phish again.