Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fknlo posted:

And another voicemail with no missed calls! That's at least 3 in the last week and a half. I wonder if there are people not leaving messages that I just don't know about?

I had that problem a LOT. The only way I was ever able to find out how many I missed was using Google Voice and going to the missed calls section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's been happening to me a lot the past month and I'm waiting for a new phone to arrive in the mail (eBay auction). Then I'll see if it's the phone or the network. Sprint hasn't responded to my question on if there is any service changes to the area lately.

Roswell
Mar 18, 2006

uapyro posted:

I was a little surprised earlier today when I noticed that instead of the 3G I've only ever seen on my Note 2, I see 4G...

Where in Jackson did you get 4G?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Roswell posted:

Where in Jackson did you get 4G?

It was actually Tuscaloosa, AL. Jackson was just the location it picked for the speedtest.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

uapyro posted:

I had that problem a LOT. The only way I was ever able to find out how many I missed was using Google Voice and going to the missed calls section.

Voice is showing no missed calls for about the last month or so, which I know isn't true.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The voice mail without a missed call for me is becoming the norm for my family. Even worse is my wife tried to call my son (who was right in front of her) to help him drive home from her work, but his phone would never ring (she tried for 39 minutes). Everything from 3G (slower than it has ever been), to text messages taking forever to send (I cut off iMessage so I can do straight SMS but it is even worse), to the LTE that shows up on my phone but doesn't work, has made Sprint into a complete nightmare in Knoxville.

I may sound like a whiner, but everyday is an adventure to see I can get a call to go through. At the grocery store today I dropped my wife's call, and she called me back 3 times, but my phone never rang.

I don't know if the cause of this is Sprint still upgrading the towers here, but it is our phones are almost unusable in most areas (thank God for wifi). A year ago it wasn't like this at all. Seriously I am to the point that Sprint is really the worst and there is no hope. What is the point of unlimited data if you can't use at all?

13 years as a customer and 5 lines (3 iPhone 5's, iPhone 4S, and a EVO 3D), what can I do? To switch would cost me an arm and leg in new phones alone?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

fknlo posted:

Voice is showing no missed calls for about the last month or so, which I know isn't true.

I would bet my money that there are issues with Sprint/Google. I checked around the GV Sprint help section and found this which seems to be just like what we are dealing with.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

13 years as a customer and 5 lines (3 iPhone 5's, iPhone 4S, and a EVO 3D), what can I do? To switch would cost me an arm and leg in new phones alone?
Sell your phones. The iPhone 5s will do well, the 4S moderately, the Evo 3D only if you can find a sucker.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I disabled the integration with Google and it didn't make any difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

The voice mail without a missed call for me is becoming the norm for my family. Even worse is my wife tried to call my son (who was right in front of her) to help him drive home from her work, but his phone would never ring (she tried for 39 minutes). Everything from 3G (slower than it has ever been), to text messages taking forever to send (I cut off iMessage so I can do straight SMS but it is even worse), to the LTE that shows up on my phone but doesn't work, has made Sprint into a complete nightmare in Knoxville.

I may sound like a whiner, but everyday is an adventure to see I can get a call to go through. At the grocery store today I dropped my wife's call, and she called me back 3 times, but my phone never rang.

I don't know if the cause of this is Sprint still upgrading the towers here, but it is our phones are almost unusable in most areas (thank God for wifi). A year ago it wasn't like this at all. Seriously I am to the point that Sprint is really the worst and there is no hope. What is the point of unlimited data if you can't use at all?

Sprint cancelled all my ETFs due to roaming on one line, and they even credited my last month's bill on that line. Roaming is a good idea.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well I finally made the jump. Bought a used samsung gs3 for AT&T. Even with the net10 sim, it's amazing to go somewhere and not have to click retry on a website 4-10 times to get it to load if it ever does. That sad google search cloud no more! Kinda ironic now that Omaha is finally get 4g, but I leave the country way too much not to have a compatible phone anymore.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Sprint is such a tease. I landed in Seattle this afternoon and got LTE for literally 5 seconds while taxiing. Those were the greatest 5 seconds of my life.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was in Asheville yesterday and either had lte or nothing at all. Mostly nothing. Hilarious.

Edit: I had faster data on my pos flip phone. This is ridiculous.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 4, 2013

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was hoping for 'it is going to get better once they finish the upgrades' or at least 'it is the on going process causing my issues'.

angryrobots posted:

I was in Asheville yesterday and either had lte or nothing at all. Mostly nothing. Hilarious.

Edit: I had faster data on my pos flip phone. This is ridiculous.

I was just in Asheville in May. While not great it was works better than Knoxville. Also Nashville was pretty bad on LTE, but good on 3G. Only area I been to lately that I was happy with was in the Tri-Cities (Johnson City). No issues at all really. I was hoping that Knoxville will be like that once LTE is official.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My sister had terrible issues with missed calls when she got her iphone. We finally concluded it was because she was getting lovely data, and I'm pretty sure GV requires data to work right. She dealt with it for a few months until the tower by her place (and all over LA, actually) got upgraded and hasn't had such problems since. But when she didn't have data her phone pretty much didn't work for incoming calls.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've had the missed calls problem, but I've also had a problem where I'll try to call somebody but I'll just get a busy signal, but I know they aren't using their phone (plus they should have call waiting). It usually takes a few tries to get through. I've even had it ring a couple times then go to a busy signal. Has anybody else experienced this?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've had the missed calls problem, but I've also had a problem where I'll try to call somebody but I'll just get a busy signal, but I know they aren't using their phone (plus they should have call waiting). It usually takes a few tries to get through. I've even had it ring a couple times then go to a busy signal. Has anybody else experienced this?

Several times. Happen last week to me when I was calling my insurance compan (800#)..

Why have these problems taken off in the last year? If I go back 2 years ago my only complaint was slow 3G. Now nothing works great. Is it the fact there are more smartphones?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint cancelled all my ETFs due to roaming on one line, and they even credited my last month's bill on that line. Roaming is a good idea.

Wait, roaming on one line will get a family share plan canceled?

It's called Sprint because you want to run away as fast as you can.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Wait, roaming on one line will get a family share plan canceled?

It's called Sprint because you want to run away as fast as you can.

Mileage may vary.

nate fisher posted:

Several times. Happen last week to me when I was calling my insurance compan (800#)..

Why have these problems taken off in the last year? If I go back 2 years ago my only complaint was slow 3G. Now nothing works great. Is it the fact there are more smartphones?

Combo of over saturation and Sprint not upgrading 3G towers for years. Sprint really relied on Verizon roaming and now that data speeds are so much faster the holes are extremely noticeable. Nashville got great 3G speeds when the Evo launched, but within a year it was noticeably slower in busy areas already. I would imagine it's as bad as it is in Philly where I currently live, where when a tower has been upgrraded it'd usuable, but good luck even getting maps or email to work if not.

I don't miss it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 4, 2013

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I get this, but only when I call T-Mobile numbers. I had to switch to calling my boyfriend's GV number because it would never go through on his T-Mo one.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bobula posted:

I get this, but only when I call T-Mobile numbers. I had to switch to calling my boyfriend's GV number because it would never go through on his T-Mo one.

I get it even when calling people on my own family plan. v:shobon:v

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So, after dropping it's attempt to bid for Sprint, DISH Network has also dropped its bid for Clearwire. Good news for those of us still on Sprint is that this should make the Softbank deal go smoother, and hopefully faster.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I finally have had enough of Sprint. I ordered a Verizon GS4 and had my number ported to Voice. Capped data is cool with me because the phone actually works now. I had no idea what I was missing. I'm eating the ETF and selling my S3.

Most of you having trouble with calls should try turning off Voice. I had those issues last fall and they never went away until I did. Voice doesn't seem to work anymore, and it seems like it's hell finding someone who can fix it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

azurite posted:

I finally have had enough of Sprint. I ordered a Verizon GS4 and had my number ported to Voice. Capped data is cool with me because the phone actually works now. I had no idea what I was missing. I'm eating the ETF and selling my S3.

Most of you having trouble with calls should try turning off Voice. I had those issues last fall and they never went away until I did. Voice doesn't seem to work anymore, and it seems like it's hell finding someone who can fix it.

I was so loving surprised earlier. I was inside... my apartment.. and my wifi wasn't on for some unknown reason. And I was able to download a file at 124kb/sec. I couldn't get that with Sprint, outside with eyesite of the tower. I've hit 400/500k just on the few speed tests I've done.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

azurite posted:

Me too. I couldn't take it anymore. Got on a Nexus 4 and moved to AT&T on my Fiancée's plan. Actually having usable data again is actually shocking sometimes.

That said, I was a Sprint customer for 10 years and I really hope the Softbank and Clearwire mergers go well. Competition is good for consumers...we all need the new Tmo (merged with US Cellular, right?) and new Sprint to fight the duopoly of AT&T and Verizon...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I love my S3, but it's sdcard reader is driving me crazy. It decided today that it no longer likes my sdcard. It's done this once before on me, too. Right now I've got the card plugged into an adapter and mounted on my MacBook, which of course is reading it just fine, so I'm backing it up yet again.

A quick search seems to suggest that the phones really does not get along with SanDisk sdcards, although mine is an HP (which I guess could be rebranded SanDisk for all I know). I'm hesitant to buy a new card because I'm not entirely convinced it's not a hardware problem with the phone (given that I can consistently read the same card in other devices). Anybody else fight with sdcard cards with their S3?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

brc64 posted:

I love my S3, but it's sdcard reader is driving me crazy. It decided today that it no longer likes my sdcard. It's done this once before on me, too. Right now I've got the card plugged into an adapter and mounted on my MacBook, which of course is reading it just fine, so I'm backing it up yet again.

A quick search seems to suggest that the phones really does not get along with SanDisk sdcards, although mine is an HP (which I guess could be rebranded SanDisk for all I know). I'm hesitant to buy a new card because I'm not entirely convinced it's not a hardware problem with the phone (given that I can consistently read the same card in other devices). Anybody else fight with sdcard cards with their S3?

Nope. Never take mine out, Its never been a problem. Sandisk 16gb out of my droid razr.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Network Vision update:

Approximately 2,675 updated sites since our last status update: Shentel (398), West Michigan (99), East Michigan (83), Minnesota (76), Oklahoma (67), South Bay (63), Oregon/SW Washington (61), Nashville (59), Miami/West Palm (56), Pittsburgh (50), West Washington (50), Albuquerque (49), Indianapolis (48), New York City (48), SF Bay (46), Missouri (45), Riverside/San Bernardino (45), Northern Jersey (43), LA Metro (42), San Diego (42), Central Illinois (41), Atlanta/Athens (40), Milwaukee (40), Raleigh/Durham (40), Boston (38), New Orleans (38), Washington DC (37), South Texas (36), Memphis (35), Orlando (34), Central Jersey (32), Philadelphia Metro (31), South Carolina (28), Jacksonville (27), Orange County (27), Colorado (25), Charlotte (24), Phoenix (24), Rochester (23), Arkansas (22), North Wisconsin (22), Georgia (21), GA/SC Coast (21), Toledo (20), Cleveland (19), Houston (19), Las Vegas (19), Alabama (18), East Iowa (18), Tampa (18), Southern Connecticut (16), West Kentucky (16), Austin (14), Inland Northwest (14), Lower Central Valley (13), Southern Jersey (13), South West Florida (13), Chicago (12), Kansas (12), Tucson/Yuma (12), Upper Central Valley (12), Idaho (11), Myrtle Beach (11), Utah (11), Buffalo (10), Columbus (9), Mississippi (9), Norfolk (9), Providence (9), The Panhandle (9), VT/NH/ME (9), Upstate NY Central (8), DFW (8), Louisiana (8), San Antonio (8), West Texas (8), East Kentucky (7), Northern Connecticut (7), Richmond (7), Gulf Coast (5), Central Pennsylvania (4), Upstate NY East (4), Winston/Salem (4), Cincinnati (3), Delaware (3), North LA (3), East Texas (2), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (2), West Iowa/Nebraska (2).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the Idaho, East Kentucky, Toledo, Cincinnati and Winston/Salem markets. First LTE sites accepted in the Inland Northwest, Cleveland, Columbus, GA/SC Coast, West Texas and Louisiana markets.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Note that that's all towers updated since June 19. Quite a long list there! And for anyone wondering:

quote:

Shentel covers the Northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Eastern West Virginia, the Eastern Maryland Panhandle and Central Pennsylvania. The cities covered are Harrisburg, Altoona, York, Gettysburg, Carlisle, Hagerstown, Martinsburg, Winchester and Harrisonburg.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Anybody else fight with sdcard cards with their S3?
To the extent that I have, every time it's been that the SD cards themselves were legitimately bad. Often they've been good enough to do one last data dump (which, perhaps, is the important part) but if I even try to reformat them on a PC they're toast.

On the other hand, if you're finding that the SD cards are working just fine elsewhere for a length of time, there might actually be a problem with your unit.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

datajosh posted:

Network Vision update:
Cincinnati

HOly poo poo, where can I go and see where in cincy this is?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

fyallm posted:

I haven't been able to figure this out either, but if you check the Ohio thread in the interactive maps subforum (on s4gru), people are posting some incomplete coverage maps.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

fyallm posted:

Hamilton.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anyone know how the ETF process works? I ported my only number to Google Voice under contract and no longer have any lines. Should I be expecting a paper bill? Once I pay, the ESN on my phone will be good to sell right?

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

td4guy posted:

Hamilton.

Hamilton the city or the county? I would both cry tears of joy and laughter if actual hamilton was the leader in cincinnati speeds

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

Anyone know how the ETF process works? I ported my only number to Google Voice under contract and no longer have any lines. Should I be expecting a paper bill? Once I pay, the ESN on my phone will be good to sell right?

You can call to get the bill if you want it early. Otherwise, yes to everything.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

td4guy posted:

Note that that's all towers updated since June 19. Quite a long list there! And for anyone wondering:

Holy poo poo, York! Maybe it's time to finally ditch my Epic 4G.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
We upgraded one of the phones on our family share plan today at Best Buy. It's my understanding that Sprint was going to start validating employer discounts when you upgrade now, but nothing came up during the transaction. Should I expect some sort of friendly letter or something from them in the coming weeks? I'm not really sure how this works...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

thelightguy posted:

Holy poo poo, York! Maybe it's time to finally ditch my Epic 4G.
Dude, York is legitimately well-upgraded at this point. LTE / 850MHz SMR towers dominate the map. It is definitely time to upgrade.

Nnep posted:

Hamilton the city or the county? I would both cry tears of joy and laughter if actual hamilton was the leader in cincinnati speeds
Actual Hamilton the city. And it's nothing special yet, as they still need to upgrade a bunch of towers in the area then switch them over to the new backhaul all at once. No LTE in sight yet, just 3G upgrades for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

brc64 posted:

We upgraded one of the phones on our family share plan today at Best Buy. It's my understanding that Sprint was going to start validating employer discounts when you upgrade now, but nothing came up during the transaction. Should I expect some sort of friendly letter or something from them in the coming weeks? I'm not really sure how this works...

http://sprint.com/verify

It's an auto-trigger within 30 days of upgrading, as in it will automatically drop off after 14 days if not re-verified. re-verification only needs to take place when you upgrade if you haven't verified within a year.