Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Silly Hippie posted:

I have and I really enjoyed it. That's a perfect example of what I'm looking for though - the hotel IS the movie, if that makes any sense.

Before anyone asks I have also seen the movie House. Well, both Houses, I guess, the crazy Japanese one and the Vietnam vet one. For movies named House they were suspiciously unhousey :colbert:

(I still liked them both and was surprised by how effective the special effects, if you can even call them that?, in Hausu were. The cat painting was great).

Depending on your tolerance for camp, 1999's The Haunting certainly plays around with the idea of the house as a character. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the movie, but it does meet a lot of your criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Depending on your tolerance for camp, 1999's The Haunting certainly plays around with the idea of the house as a character. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the movie, but it does meet a lot of your criteria.

1999's The Haunting is pretty awful.

The 1963 version is all right, though! Just don't go in expecting gore or even really a horror movie so much as a film about a house driving a young woman insane.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What about 13 Ghosts? That has some sweet Tony Shalhoub and Matthew Lillard battling ghosts in a plexiglass house action (also Shannon Elizabeth). It's not scary though but it's ... entertaining I suppose. The ghosts they pick are somewhat interesting in a cenobite kinda way.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Silly Hippie posted:

Does anyone have more recommendations along those lines? I guess that's a bit vague, so I'm looking for spooky/creepy/suspenseful stuff that's not necessarily gory or violent (those aren't disqualifiers, I just generally enjoy being creeped out more than grossed out). Especially classics I might have missed. I wasn't allowed to watch movies as a kid if they contained demonic/possession themes and I never really caught up, so you can assume I haven't seen anything along those lines.

You most probably have already seen it, but just in case, and since you mentioned you haven't seen many of the classics: The Thing. Sure, it has quite a bit of Gross, but the Creep is something few movies have ever matched since.

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 5, 2013

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Silly Hippie posted:

This is what I ended up doing. I really, really liked it, although I honestly don't know why I thought it was a scary movie? I think I saw five minutes of the remake as a kid and my inherent fear of Nicholas Cage somehow colored my memory.

I've been going through and watching a bunch of older horror movies. I honestly thought I wasn't a fan of the genre until I watched Rosemary's Baby. That was awesome, and genuinely harrowing. I also saw and liked The Exorcist, The Shining, Poltergeist, the original Amityville Horror, and a few others I'm probably forgetting.

Does anyone have more recommendations along those lines? I guess that's a bit vague, so I'm looking for spooky/creepy/suspenseful stuff that's not necessarily gory or violent (those aren't disqualifiers, I just generally enjoy being creeped out more than grossed out). Especially classics I might have missed. I wasn't allowed to watch movies as a kid if they contained demonic/possession themes and I never really caught up, so you can assume I haven't seen anything along those lines. (And yet my mother made me watch every Hitchcock movie ever. EVER. Even the silent ones).

ALSO, does anyone have suggestions for movies with really cool houses? This is probably a bit strange but I've noticed that this genre in particular contains some great architecture. Bonus points if the house is essentially a character. I just marathoned Rose Red, for example, and kept pausing the movie to take in all the details in the rooms. I'm really fond of the settings in A Tale of Two Sisters and The Uninvited, The Orphanage as well.

edit: changed my post because it sounded like I was saying The Orphanage was the remake. Which would be really weird, but now I want to see an Asian orphanage movie

Check out The Changeling (1980).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Along the 'classic horror with a malevolent house' lines, I'm throwing in a recommendation for The Nesting, though it does move at the pace of a snail on molasses. Also The Sentinel, though that's more of an apartment building than a house. And if you haven't seen Night Of The Living Dead, Silly Hippie, you'd really be doing yourself a favor to catch that. There is (black-and-white) gore, but the tension is fantastic, especially the first time you watch it.

Also, for any fans of good-natured trash, Full Moon is having a 50%-off sale until Monday night. Probably the best item (in my estimation) is this Wizard Video t-shirt ($10), but if you're looking to expand your C-grade horror collection, you'll certainly find some stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marketing New Brain posted:

The only thing the 1999 Haunting gets right is the house. It's truly perfect. If they'd only been allowed to remake the original movie on that set.

Hell House the novel is very good, but I would also recommend the illustrated adaptation with art by Simon Fraser.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

leokitty posted:

For the first, here's some suggestions: Nosferatu (both versions), Dark Water (Japanese version, haven't seen the remake), Vampyr and Peeping Tom.

Also M's not a horror film but it definitely fits what you're looking for as does the original Norwegian production of Insomnia. I haven't seen the American remake.

Second: House on Haunted Hill (Castle/Price version)

I'm 99% sure I watched the original Dark Water and totally forgot it. I only remember the remake now. I actually quite like it, but I like ghost kids (I can't remember if that's something they reveal in the previews or not).

Is the M you're referring to from 1931? I don't know why I've never heard of this, it sounds fantastic.

Oh, and House on Haunted Hill was my favorite movie as a kid. I watched it so much the tape broke. I just realized it's on Netflix so I'm going to watch it nostalgically now :3:

leokitty posted:

Silly Hippie: I would like to add the Lon Cheney Jr Wolf Man movie to my list of creepy/foreboding no/low-gore movies you should watch as well.

e: Also The Tenant and Repulsion

These all sound good! The Tenant and Repulsion are tangentially related to Rosemary's Baby, right? (Thematically, I guess?) Seriously, that was such a good movie, I spent my whole childhood thinking it was like The Omen or something.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

63 vs 99 The Haunting

I'm going to watch them both probably because I literally finished reading The Haunting of Hill House today. One scene in particular comes out of nowhere - random ghost people having a picnic, right there in broad daylight and is surprisingly eerie. I kind of hope that's in at least one of the movies.

JP Money posted:

What about 13 Ghosts?

I just watched this last week. I'm exhausting my library's supply of DVDs. Definitely a much cooler house than a movie, haha, but yeah I agree the ghosts at least are entertaining. Who on earth was their target audience for that, I wonder? The plot and dialogue were just the right kind of 90s/early 2000s family movie kind of cheesy, but the ghosts would definitely have scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. (Cenobites are the things in Hellraiser, right? I couldn't even walk by those movie covers in Blockbuster as a kid without being skeeved out).

ubergnu posted:

You most probably have already seen it, but just in case, and since you mentioned you haven't seen many of the classics: The Thing. Sure, it has quite a bit of Gross, but the Creep is something few movies have ever matched since.

I had literally never head of this movie before now, although I watched In the Mouth of Madness basically by mistake a few years ago and liked it so here goes!

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I will do my best to find them all :)

edit: jesus you guys are fast. The Changeling and The Nesting are both added to my list. I'll try Night of the Living Dead, zombie movies are literally my least favorite kind but it seems like it'd be worth it to watch the most famous of them.

I'm going to read Hell House next but I'll be sorely disappointed if it doesn't contain that line about cannibalism, sodomy and whatever else.

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 5, 2013

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

JP Money posted:

What about 13 Ghosts? That has some sweet Tony Shalhoub and Matthew Lillard battling ghosts in a plexiglass house action (also Shannon Elizabeth). It's not scary though but it's ... entertaining I suppose. The ghosts they pick are somewhat interesting in a cenobite kinda way.

Silly Hippie would probably be more entertained watching The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo, but 13 ghosts indeed has some of the most fascinating architecture and one of the strangest buildings of any movie I can remember. Good catch, and also, go to hell for reminding me that I've seen entirely too much schlock in my lifetime.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

JP Money posted:

I watched Legend of Hell House last night. It wasn't bad for an older film. I like their depiction of the house influencing the people within but the closeup shots of Roddy McDowall's face every 5 seconds when he spoke were pretty silly and annoying. Is the book that much better? I may go pick that up if it's that recommended.

The book is... ok. It's a brisk read- even a middling reader could knock it out on a lazy day- and that works in its favor. I was expecting something creepier, like Haunting of Hill House, but what I got was a fairly trashy novel about depraved libido ghosts that make woman want to gently caress and impotent men want to smack them around until they come to their senses. It's effective enough from beginning to end, however, and there are some fun scenes scattered throughout. More of a library book than something I'd buy.

Changeling is a great haunted house movie.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Burnt Offerings is pretty good, too.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JP Money posted:

13 Ghosts is stupid pile of garbage but I like it for some reason.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

13 Ghosts is stupid pile of garbage but I like it for some reason.

13 Ghosts ahs the biggest disparity between how amazing the set design is and how bad pretty much every other aspect of the movie is I think I've ever seen. The movie is worth seeing just for the setting and I don't think I've ever said that about a movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Silly Hippie posted:

ALSO, does anyone have suggestions for movies with really cool houses? This is probably a bit strange but I've noticed that this genre in particular contains some great architecture. Bonus points if the house is essentially a character. I just marathoned Rose Red, for example, and kept pausing the movie to take in all the details in the rooms. I'm really fond of the settings in A Tale of Two Sisters and The Uninvited, The Orphanage as well.

It's more a thriller than a horror movie, but Hitchcock's serial killer film Shadow of a Doubt uses its house to great effect, you really get an intuitive sense of the layout which he uses for tension a lot. He did the same thing in Rear Window, Psycho, and The Birds so come to think of it Hitchcock was great at using houses as characters.

And of course both the original and remake of House on Haunted Hill and the masterpiece Messiah of Evil have some of the coolest houses on film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JP Money posted:

I watched Legend of Hell House last night. It wasn't bad for an older film. I like their depiction of the house influencing the people within but the closeup shots of Roddy McDowall's face every 5 seconds when he spoke were pretty silly and annoying. Is the book that much better? I may go pick that up if it's that recommended.

It's far better. After watching the movie (and finishing the book) recently, the movie is like a middling Night Gallery episode.

Babe Magnet posted:

Okay yo, I watched Megan is Missing recently. The first 90% of the movie is hot, wet garbage and is like some After-School-Special, Special TV Movie business but the last 10 minutes of the movie is seriously one of the more hosed up things I have ever seen. Like, I can't stop thinking about it, it's so deliriously nasty and it friggin' rules.

Instead of going on and on about Lake Mungo like I have done in the past, I'm just gonna say I find this interesting. Why'd you dig it so much? Just the audacity of it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 5, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Silly Hippie posted:

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I will do my best to find them all :)

edit: jesus you guys are fast. The Changeling and The Nesting are both added to my list. I'll try Night of the Living Dead, zombie movies are literally my least favorite kind but it seems like it'd be worth it to watch the most famous of them.

I'm going to read Hell House next but I'll be sorely disappointed if it doesn't contain that line about cannibalism, sodomy and whatever else.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please post your thoughts on NotLD after you've seen it? I always enjoy hearing how people react to seeing that one for the first time, and getting those thoughts from someone with a background of mostly 'traditional' horror would be almost like a time tunnel back to its original release.
Also, if The Sixth Sense and The Blair Witch Project came out during your low-horror-intake period, I'd recommend catching up on those as well, since they've achieved classic status (BWP as a found-footage hallmark, and Sixth Sense as Shyamalan's most effective film [probably]). Not much gore in either, apart from some quick shots for impact.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Silly Hippie posted:

I'll try Night of the Living Dead, zombie movies are literally my least favorite kind but it seems like it'd be worth it to watch the most famous of them.

I promise it's not what you expect.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's far better. After watching the movie (and finishing the book) recently, the movie is like a middling Night Gallery episode.

Instead of going on and on about Lake Mungo like I have done in the past, I'm just gonna say I find this interesting. Why'd you dig it so much? Just the audacity of it?

The audacity of it is exactly what turns me off of it. Like the whole thing is just a practical joke thumbing its nose at the notion that the movie could have a genuine message, and the end especially is like the movie going "look what I got you to watch by promising you a movie!"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Low Gore, creepy horror actually describes the original Texas chainsaw very well. The film has built up a blood-soaked pop culture reputation, but the movie is really all atmosphere.

Coincidentally, contains one creepy rear end house

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The remake of House on Haunted Hill seems to get crapped on a lot, but man, some of the stuff in that movie was super creepy. Actually, the film as a whole had this thing where it would be super cheesy one moment, then you'd get legit scary stuff like the ghost doctors and the insanity chamber. Then the ending was the cheesiest thing of all. Movie had a serious case of mood whiplash.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jack Gladney posted:

The audacity of it is exactly what turns me off of it. Like the whole thing is just a practical joke thumbing its nose at the notion that the movie could have a genuine message, and the end especially is like the movie going "look what I got you to watch by promising you a movie!"
I'm not sure that I see how this is necessarily a bad thing for an exploitation film to do. Presumably going into the film you're aware that it is going to depict terrible acts of violence visited on young women. I find it...interesting...the number of complaints about the film that, presumably aware of this, are centred around the film being disturbing, being insufficiently stimulating, or (as you do) lacking a tidy message. That, as I read the film, is the point.

I'd be more enthusiastic about arguing this if it was a better film. But I think it is an interesting case study in exploitation film in contemporary horror cinema. With so much of the lexicon of genre film coopted by mainstream media, how does one achieve the same sort of transgressiveness that distinguished early exploitation film?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't really know why I liked the uh, "twist", I guess. Maybe it was just because it was fuckin' mean. Like the first half of the movie is pretty darn awful, but it suddenly finds it's balls in the last 15 minutes and the disparity between that and the entire rest of the movie is shocking. If the ending was different or more tame, or if that specific ending was at the end of a much better movie, I don't know if it would have had the same effect on me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SubG posted:

I'm not sure that I see how this is necessarily a bad thing for an exploitation film to do. Presumably going into the film you're aware that it is going to depict terrible acts of violence visited on young women. I find it...interesting...the number of complaints about the film that, presumably aware of this, are centred around the film being disturbing, being insufficiently stimulating, or (as you do) lacking a tidy message. That, as I read the film, is the point.

I'd be more enthusiastic about arguing this if it was a better film. But I think it is an interesting case study in exploitation film in contemporary horror cinema. With so much of the lexicon of genre film coopted by mainstream media, how does one achieve the same sort of transgressiveness that distinguished early exploitation film?

Troma movies are seriously transgressive and yes they can be completely silly but there's some weird loving transgressive messages in them. Troma has pretty much always been kind of exploitative and transgressive. People just kind of generally dismiss them because of the camp silliness but they have crazy town messages in them and are at some points brutally nihilistic. Watch the ones from the 80s with the read of that their making fun of America because they totally are.

The Bunny Game, Serbian Film, The Woman are pretty much spot on the definition of exploitative transgressive fiction (which still consistently comes up as one of my favorites. Although I literally fast forwarded with subtitles through the first two and didn't really hardcore watch them.

I mean to say there are still a lot of transgressive exploitation films out there. It's not went away they're just generally less popular. I think that Paranormal Activity counts as a exploitative film and transgressive film it is just not very good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 6, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Transgressive.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hollis posted:

Bunny Games, Serbian Film, The Woman are pretty much spot on the definition of exploitative transgressive fiction (which still consistently comes up as one of my favorites. Although I literally fast forwarded with subtitles through the first two and didn't really hardcore watch them.
Actually, I probably would've liked Haneke's film better if it had been a short in Lynch's Rabbits series.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

SubG posted:

Actually, I probably would've liked Haneke's film better if it had been a short in Lynch's Rabbits series.

Bunny Games is a different movie, that's not a typo / reference to Haneke.

Err wait I'm thinking of The Bunny Game... maybe he confused them both. Haha welp.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In what way is Paranormal Activity transgressive in even the most whitebread way?

SubG posted:

Artfulness, confidence in the craft of making a film. That's sort of glib but part of what makes horror seem so tame is the same thing that (often) makes it potentially demented; all this claw-handed, incestuous fanboy crap that keeps reheating cliches is part of the same cannibalizing of the audience that Megan Is Missing is ideally trying to hit. Everything other than some girl being brutalized seems to be a waste of time. While MIM seems a lot like watching someone's antisocial kink graphically depicted, the flipside of that is that it's exactly like watching someone's antisocial kink graphically depicted.

Even as a curiosity, I'm not that into that.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

DeathChicken posted:

The remake of House on Haunted Hill seems to get crapped on a lot, but man, some of the stuff in that movie was super creepy. Actually, the film as a whole had this thing where it would be super cheesy one moment, then you'd get legit scary stuff like the ghost doctors and the insanity chamber. Then the ending was the cheesiest thing of all. Movie had a serious case of mood whiplash.

I know House on Haunted Hill is bad but I love the imagery in that movie. The patient uprising, Honoré Fragonard's sculptures, the Darkness (even if it was copying Jacob's Ladder), the surgery scene seen through Melissa's camera.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Artfulness, confidence in the craft of making a film. That's sort of glib but part of what makes horror seem so tame is the same thing that (often) makes it potentially demented; all this claw-handed, incestuous fanboy crap that keeps reheating cliches is part of the same cannibalizing of the audience that Megan Is Missing is ideally trying to hit. Everything other than some girl being brutalized seems to be a waste of time. While MIM seems a lot like watching someone's antisocial kink graphically depicted, the flipside of that is that it's exactly like watching someone's antisocial kink graphically depicted.
I really can't arbitrate what a filmmaker's kinks are or are not, and I'm not sure that it's a productive line of argument in serious criticism. But that being said, whether or not the intent of the filmmaker was in making kink (if authorial intent is something we care about), one of the things that I thought was most striking about (and I guess I'll spoiler this but eh) the extended rape sequence is how unusually victim-centric it was. That is, by focussing on the victim's face---and nothing else---the scene is effectively free of the sort of sexualisation/titillation that normally characterises the typical (and all too common) exploitation film rape scene. That is, it looks less like someone's terrible secret wank fantasy, and more like something that will make everyone uncomfortable which is presumably how one should react to this sort of material. That's my point. Anyone who watches a lot of exploitation film will end up seeing a lot of loving rape. And the things that most people seem to comment on about it in Megan is Missing is that it lacks the narrative sops typically handed to the audience to make it more palatable. Which is to say that the argument is, essentially, that it's only okay for rape to be depicted in film if it is depicted in a sufficiently aesthetically pleasing way. Or in a sufficiently uplifting/enlightening way. Or whatever.

Like I said, I think this is a legitimately interesting question, and the text itself doesn't look to me like one that's constructed simply to slake the audience's prurient appetites and that it's that thing that most complaints about the film appear to be centred around (although, obviously, not in those terms).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

In what way is Paranormal Activity transgressive in even the most whitebread way?

Even as a curiosity, I'm not that into that.

Well I mean the theme of the movie is "Woman as evil" , You have a man investigate this paranormal activity the source of which is actually the woman herself and he is destroyed by her. I mean she literally is dragged off and he doesn't do anything and then destroys religious artifacts she feels will protect her. It's a incredibly chauvinistic film. I'll look for the write up but I read a really good read on it being just a thinly veiled stance on abusive relationships. That's just a gender theory read on it, but that's not even making a huge leap. I don't think it's a particularly great film ,but yeah it's transgressive as it's a rejection of male culture. You have a woman in a bascially abusive relationship, and then she ends up freeing herself from his abuse by murdering him. That's just basically the jist of it. I just think it's a okay film though, it's not something I'd point to and go "Yes, that is completely transgressive cinema".

acephalousuniverse posted:

Bunny Games is a different movie, that's not a typo / reference to Haneke.

Err wait I'm thinking of The Bunny Game... maybe he confused them both. Haha welp.

Yeah, I wrote Bunny Games. I don't know why I keep thinking that film is called that. It's not particularly worth anyone's time to watch it unless you really want to see someone actually tortured on camera. I guess as a art piece it's interesting.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 6, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Well I mean the theme of the movie is "Woman as evil" , You have a man investigate this paranormal activity the source of which is actually the woman herself and he is destroyed by her. I mean she literally is dragged off and he doesn't do anything and then destroys religious artifacts she feels will protect her. It's a incredibly chauvinistic film. I'll look for the write up but I read a really good read on it being just a thinly veiled stance on abusive relationships. That's just a gender theory read on it, but that's not even making a huge leap. I don't think it's a particularly great film ,but yeah it's transgressive as it's a rejection of male culture. You have a woman in a bascially abusive relationship, and then she ends up freeing herself from his abuse by murdering him. That's just basically the jist of it. Yeah it's a gender role read of the film and does not on the surface appear transgressive but you can read it that way. I just think it's a okay film though, it's not something I'd point to and go "Yes, that is completely transgressive cinema".

I'm confused by this write up because one the one hand you say that it's "chauvinistic" with themes that women are evil but at the same your saying it's about a woman trying to escape an abusive relationship and it's a rejection of male culture. Those two claims are pretty contradictory.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Babe Magnet posted:

Transgressive.

Hollis is a treasure. A beautiful, beautiful treasure.

So, you guys who have seen Europa Report, I kind of want to take my elderly dad to see it when it hits the theaters in August. He's a practical guy who loved Apollo 13 and action/horror movies set in space, but can't really handle any metacognitive thinking (the Matrix made him physically angry). I see that this one was made with NASA's help: how down to earth is it? Any 2001 trippy space obelisks to worry about?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Re: Megan Is Missing When people talk about the last fifteen minutes, rape is not the first thing that comes to mind. For a movie to be so brutal and depraved that the revolting rape sequence is NOT the first horrible thing I flash back to - that's certainly, well, good for you movie. I guess.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

axleblaze posted:

I'm confused by this write up because one the one hand you say that it's "chauvinistic" with themes that women are evil but at the same your saying it's about a woman trying to escape an abusive relationship and it's a rejection of male culture. Those two claims are pretty contradictory.

It's a chauvinistic view of a abusive relationship, the woman's problems are not from a outside source but from with in herself , she caused the abuse basically. He was just there observing rationally. I mean he even rejects the supernatural in the form of destroying her crucifix a rejection of religion itself , he's almost saying that he will be her salvation but regardless of where they go, he doesn't realize that she is the problem.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 6, 2013

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Hollis posted:

Yeah, I wrote Bunny Games. I don't know why I keep thinking that film is called that. It's not particularly worth anyone's time to watch it unless you really want to see someone actually tortured on camera. I guess as a art piece it's interesting.

Yeah. I haven't watched it for several reasons. One is the fact that the male lead (torturer) and especially the director seem WAY TOO loving INTO the idea of torturing a girl on camera and how totally brutal and crazy and shocking it is. It feels like pure actual exploitation in a negative sense. The director seems like a serious loving creep in the couple of clips/trailers I've seen for this.

The second one is the female lead's reason for being in the movie - as some kind of art-therapy thing to deal with being a victim of an actual IRL rape/abuse previously - seems fine for her personally and I wouldn't stop anyone from doing it, but the idea of turning that into DVDs and entertainment and very intentionally a Horror Movie is really really uncomfortable to me. I'm not judging her and if it was her doing it on her own it'd be whatever, if that's how she deals then power to her, but the literal commodification of it feels very weird to me and I don't want to participate in that. Seems to exclusively open up bad vibes. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

acephalousuniverse posted:

Yeah. I haven't watched it for several reasons. One is the fact that the male lead (torturer) and especially the director seem WAY TOO loving INTO the idea of torturing a girl on camera and how totally brutal and crazy and shocking it is. It feels like pure actual exploitation in a negative sense. The director seems like a serious loving creep in the couple of clips/trailers I've seen for this.

The second one is the female lead's reason for being in the movie - as some kind of art-therapy thing to deal with being a victim of an actual IRL rape/abuse previously - seems fine for her personally and I wouldn't stop anyone from doing it, but the idea of turning that into DVDs and entertainment and very intentionally a Horror Movie is really really uncomfortable to me. I'm not judging her and if it was her doing it on her own it'd be whatever, if that's how she deals then power to her, but the literal commodification of it feels very weird to me and I don't want to participate in that. Seems to exclusively open up bad vibes. :(

Yeah, everyone involved in that film was in crazy town. Have you read this interview?

http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/1/21/exclusive-interview-actress-rodleen-getsic-the-bunny-game-vs.html

Or this one?

http://www.planetfury.com/content/qa-rodleen-getsic-bunny-game

CRAZY TOWN.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

N'thing the support for the House On Haunted Hill (1999) remake. How can you not love Geoffrey Rush acting as Vincent Price acting as Steven H. Price? Also I thought it made effective use of stop-motion, like the rotting inside the bricks. It's creeping me out just thinking of it. The ending is bad though. Everything else is great.

I would also suggest Silent Hill (2006). It's not a single house, but the whole physical town is its own character.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Hollis posted:

It's a chauvinistic view of a abusive relationship, the woman's problems are not from a outside source but from with in herself , she caused the abuse basically. He was just there observing rationally. I mean he even rejects the supernatural in the form of destroying her crucifix a rejection of religion itself , he's almost saying that he will be her salvation but regardless of where they go, he doesn't realize that she is the problem.

It's about control. She's not the problem, he is, specifically his need to control her. The ghost problem is Of Katie but Micah offers no real help with it, he wants to dismiss it, to control her completely. His denial of the supernatural represents this. We must remember that within the fiction, the demon is real. Michah's rejection of isn't logical, it's incredibly stupid, but it's not motivated by typical horror character blindness- it's motivated by a strained, terrified defense of his sexual power and masculinity against the woman that rules his life.

Paranormal Activity is about dudemanbros' collective fear that women's liberation and feminism has allowed women to impress emotional openness on the male culture of emotional repressiveness. The whole thing is about Katie being willing to acknowledge and face the problem (express emotions) while Micah refuses to (making a show of being stoic and masculine). His only emotional response is anger at the transgression against his house, which is one of the few emotional responses the culture of masculinity, which demands that men treat everything and everyone as a possession, permits.

Katie has an existence outside him, outside his worldview, and he sees that as a threat he needs to control to assert himself.

Their toxic relationship is the focus, which is why the most spectacular haunting activity happens while they're in bed. Micah dies because he can't acknowledge Katie's emotions.

It can be read as chauvanist in the sense that it portrays Micah as the victim, implicitly suggesting that things were better when men could just tell women to shut the gently caress up, and that if Katie had just shut the gently caress up about the whole thing it would have gone away.

To read it that way misses that Katie is the protagonist and the most sympathetic character. The film condemns Micah for refusing to acknowledge her. The domestic violence of the relationship is externalized as the ghost, which directs its attacks at Katie even though Micah is the rear end in a top hat in the house.

On another level, it's about the fear that modern men have of liberated women and their place in a society that's sliding away from patriarchy. It presents the erosion of the patriarchy and gender roles as a struggle. The conflict between them is Micah's gradual realization that he's the "girlfriend" in their relationship. That's why Micah has a work at home job. Throughout the film he loses his power and masculinity until Katie destroys him with physical violence. In the original endings, she kills him by penetrating him with a knife, a final act that establishes her as "the man" in the relationship. The split second of Katie with a demonic face shows that she's been consumed by the cycle of abuse and now embodies it.

In both original endings, Katie is nevertheless destroyed by masculine power; she either slits her own throat or is killed when the door slams and the police shoot her, responding to her assumption of the masculine power of the knife by symbolically gangraping her to death with their phallic weapons, much like the symbolic gang rape by gun in Full Metal Jacket.

There's also a voyeuristic leer to the whole thing by way of the pretext for the found footage. Micah exacerbates the problem by trying to take possession of it, and his obsession with filming the bedroom is representative of his obsession with controlling Katie by controlling her sexuality.

Paranormal Activity is actually a movie about a guy who beats his girlfriend and makes her film amateur pornography with him, but with ghosts instead of punching and loving.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hollis posted:

I would've never guessed that anyone would read Paranormal Activity as implying that the problem is not the rear end in a top hat boyfriend who never loving listens or, you know, the literal loving demon from Hell. But here we are. It's the woman, huh? The more or less literally demonised woman. She was asking for it, basically. That's what you're saying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I was gonna respond to that post but I honestly haven't really thought about PA1 all that much, so I thought it would be best to leave it to someone else. I'm glad I did.

I feel the same way with V/H/S where I find it odd that people equate Women in the films being the killers as the movie saying that Women are evil.