Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Holy crap, no one said anything about the croud shooting FIREWORKS at the same time :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Handsome Ralph posted:

At the risk of invoking the wrath of OPSECWizard, there has got to be a countermeasure for this kind of poo poo, right?

I remember reading an awful Clancy book from 20 years ago that did the same thing to crash a plane, so it can't be some new problem pilots are suddenly facing.

Debt of Honor. It was some super secret heavy duty laser or some poo poo. There were crashing AWACS I think.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Handsome Ralph posted:

At the risk of invoking the wrath of OPSECWizard, there has got to be a countermeasure for this kind of poo poo, right?

Probably the same as for MANPADS: don't fly near there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I remember reading an awful Clancy book from 20 years ago that did the same thing to crash a plane, so it can't be some new problem pilots are suddenly facing.

In fairness, that wasn't a laser, just a ultrabright fuckoff xenon projector with a focusing lens.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

This isn't actually war-time combat footage, but rather from a movie. Don't remember which exactly.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

holocaust bloopers posted:

Protective eye wear. Nothing fancy.

Also, when someones calls out a laser at 9 o'clock, that doesn't mean everyone should try to look at it. On more than one occasion, a laser incident involved an entire aircrew when it only needed to be the one guy who had an indirect glance. Hell, once a pilot in another plane sent the warning and the entire crew still subsequently looked at it. :cripes:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's a habit pattern developed from spotting traffic. poo poo is hard to break.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Also, when someones calls out a laser at 9 o'clock, that doesn't mean everyone should try to look at it. On more than one occasion, a laser incident involved an entire aircrew when it only needed to be the one guy who had an indirect glance. Hell, once a pilot in another plane sent the warning and the entire crew still subsequently looked at it. :cripes:

Sounds like the kind of issue where you need to get some smart psychologist type to come up with a better warning. Recognizing and avoiding instinctive behavior and all that, given that every other time you're saying that it's so you don't ram yourself into another plane.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fallom posted:

Sounds like the kind of issue where you need to get some smart psychologist type to come up with a better warning. Recognizing and avoiding instinctive behavior and all that, given that every other time you're saying that it's so you don't ram yourself into another plane.

"TITS AT THREE O'CLOCK!!!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Protective eye wear. Nothing fancy.
The same kind of laser blocking eyewear guys on the ground use, or OPSEC?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Casimir Radon posted:

I couldn't tell you for sure. They're just shades of some sort. Nothing special.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I couldn't tell you for sure. They're just shades of some sort. Nothing special.
The ones we used at the range just looked like tinted safety glasses, though there were some rather old timey looking goggles that I wore sometimes.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was issued glasses that came with an NSN label that said laser proof or some such nonsense. They were Green lensed and had instructions about not looking directly at lasers and they were good for blah blah wavelengths. Never tested them, but seemed legit. That was ten years ago and they were old as balls so I am sure they have newr, cooler, more effective poo poo.
I want a blue laser for my rifle. :-(

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
They issue green visors for aircrew along with the ballistic laser eyepro for ground guys

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Casimir Radon posted:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

sky shark posted:

They issue green visors for aircrew along with the ballistic laser eyepro for ground guys

That would be nice. We don't get poo poo. If a laser goes through your NVG's it's an automatic knock-it-off and you have to go get your eyes checked. Then the metro PD goes to the coords and fails to find whomever was lasing you.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"TITS AT THREE O'CLOCK!!!"

Standard issue Katy Perry clone on all US military aircraft.

E: Seriously though can't you just fly by instruments? I'm pretty sure the risk would be more to the cameras on that thing anyway.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Can-O-Raid posted:

E: Seriously though can't you just fly by instruments? I'm pretty sure the risk would be more to the cameras on that thing anyway.

Apaches (since that's what's pictured) are not instrument rated. Not that this is really an instrument type of thing. And no, the risk is more to, you know, human eyes than it is to cameras.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ghost bones posted:

ANA Supremacy :madmax:

I didn't think I'd ever have to lay an eye on an SEM 35 ever again, but sure enough, it came back to haunt me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Can-O-Raid posted:

Once your eyes stop working, how do you intend to use your instruments effectively?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Once your eyes stop working, how do you intend to use your instruments effectively?

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I didn't think I'd ever have to lay an eye on an SEM 35 ever again, but sure enough, it came back to haunt me.

A/N PRC 77. :colbert:
Compared to a SEM 52 it was heaven.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pretty good doc done in coordination with Vice about the challenges in trying to prepare the ANA for 2014 handover. It paints a pretty grim picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHPTHx0ScQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77dCAZzcLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rRqRoCUsg

doogle
May 24, 2003

shyduck posted:

Pretty good doc done in coordination with Vice about the challenges in trying to prepare the ANA for 2014 handover. It paints a pretty grim picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHPTHx0ScQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77dCAZzcLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rRqRoCUsg

As soon as we leave all the ANA are going to be killed or join the TB. Last deployment I was working with ANASF, supposedly the best of the best of the ANA. They were more worried about going to the bazaar or what they were going to cook for dinner than utilizing the time we had with them for training. When we finally got them out of their tent to do some training, they would only go through the motions and retain nothing. Or get in slap fights with each other while holding loaded pistols.

I can't wait for this next deployment, I'm going with IDR (MARSOC) so maybe they are more effective at motivating these dudes to do poo poo than ODAs.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

doogle posted:

As soon as we leave all the ANA are going to be killed or join the TB. Last deployment I was working with ANASF, supposedly the best of the best of the ANA. They were more worried about going to the bazaar or what they were going to cook for dinner than utilizing the time we had with them for training. When we finally got them out of their tent to do some training, they would only go through the motions and retain nothing. Or get in slap fights with each other while holding loaded pistols.

I can't wait for this next deployment, I'm going with IDR (MARSOC) so maybe they are more effective at motivating these dudes to do poo poo than ODAs.

Why train when it's gods will whether you live or die? That was the general idea I encountered with the afghans on my last deployment.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Near done with the first episode. Hahaha Afghanistan is so hosed. The guys I spoke with that did the USAF air advisor gig had basically said that we cannot interface with them just because of how hosed up their culture is. No amount of money or effort will get anyone anywhere when we just can't figure each other out.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 6, 2013

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
I really hated the ANA at this one patrol base because they had a fuckin rooster that would crow at like 330 or 400 every goddamn day for like an hour straight.

gently caress that bird and gently caress the ANA.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Near done with the first episode. Hahaha Afghanistan is so hosed. The guys I spoke with that did the USAF air advisor gig had basically said that we cannot interface with them just because of how hosed up their culture is. No amount of money or effort will get anyone anywhere when we just can't figure each other out.

That's not entirely true. You can train the ANA and get them to do things, it just takes a LOT of rapport-building. You need to understand that Afghans place a TON of emphasis on personal relationships, moreso than business or professional relationships. They're more likely to do stuff for you if they figure you're their buddy than their trainer or whatever. You also have to figure that some of these guys have seen an unending rotation of Americans coming through year-after-year to train them, and they know that as soon as you're gone, there will be some other dude who will come along and tell them what to do. So how do you build a relationship when it's most likely going to be fleeting? You find common ground and build rapport off of that. Show them that you give a gently caress. Show them that you care about their "hosed up culture". Hell, email them or send letters. They love that stuff! And the guy who comes after you can borrow some of that good rapport by claiming to know you and work with you.

It takes a bit of unconventional thinking, but you CAN get the ANA to do stuff.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Huh. Interesting stuff. What about poo poo like reprimanding them? Again, this is what I've been told but if they perceive you to be a bitch, they'll never listen to you or if you come at them like an authority, they'll concede but won't show up to work.

Either way, I find the afghan advisor stuff interesting.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

That guy looks like the interpreter from generation kill

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Needs more beer in his flack.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

I saw ANP handcuff a guy and beat his teeth out with an extendable baton for shoving one of the cops when they tried to throw him out of the line to get humanitarian aid. They spent the rest of the day bitch slapping farmers who got too far out of line, and one of them would grab the barrel of his AK and hit people with it like a baseball bat. . . with a full magazine in it.

I'd say the country is in great hands. :allears:

e:

:lol: There's probably a D&D poster who's seen this cartoon and nodded emphatically in approval.

ghost bones fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 6, 2013

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've also heard that the ANP is its own unique brand of hosed

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Chances are the most outlandish, hard to believe stories about the ANA/ANP you have ever heard are true.

I believe them, because of what I saw with the INA/INP.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Vasudus posted:

Chances are the most outlandish, hard to believe stories about the ANA/ANP you have ever heard are true.

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/article/money-pit-monstrous-failure-us-aid-afghanistan

quote:

- For $130,000, Afghan contractors built a large shower/bathroom facility “without holes in the walls or floors for plumbing and drains.” What’s more, the walls were constructed of “crumbling cinder blocks.” The report blamed insufficient oversight. That was most certainly true. But in addition, UNICEF statistics show that seventy percent of Afghans have no access to a toilet and may in fact never have seen one. How could they know what’s involved in installing them?

- Defense Department personnel told the GAO about “a dining facility in Afghanistan that was built without a kitchen,” once again because of absent oversight.

- A guard tower “at a forward operating base was poorly constructed and unsafe to occupy. The staircase was unstable and not strong enough” to climb. As usual, the problem wasn’t discovered until the tower was finished. “It had to be torn down.”

- “In another instance, an entire compound of five buildings was built in the wrong location.” It was supposed to be located within the military base’s security walls, but the contractors inexplicably built the compound just outside—for $2.4 million. No one noticed until the project was completed. “The buildings could not be used.”

Article is full of laughs

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Afghanistan gonna Afghanistan.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

JSARSOM posted:

Afghanistan gonna Afghanistan.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Our ANA were mostly Dari-speaking Tajiks and were pretty cool dudes and (mostly) professional. The guys who were designated patrollers never took issue with doing long patrols or conducting their own VCPs for a few hours. By the end of our deployment we would hand them a radio and effectively have three fire-teams satelliting each other as we went along. Seeing that kind of progression left me feeling optimistic for the prospects of their Army, at the very least.
There were a few guys who were primarily truck drivers or whatever that we'd occasionally get saddled with who were, more often than not, clueless complainers- dragging their rifle along behind them because their feet hurt.

At the end of the day we're all scummy dudes who would rather hit up the bazaar than drill or beautify the COP. Afghanistan sucks. :shrug:

Cool ANA dudes incoming:

(Terp's face)

• Locked thread