Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cube2000 posted:

This is the first portal stone I found:

On Gerdalti's server we found two portals in the same biome, so we were able to confirm at least that they work.

Biome was an ocean biome and it seems that the generation rules for them are smart enough to only spawn them on land and not under the sea. So find them on the few islands available was pretty easy.

That said, I don't know how many portal stones a region can have or if a region has to spawn any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
A couple helpful tips:

- You can pan the map around with middle-mouse button, this'll help you find other people far away in a server
- Everyone in a server no matter where they are gets quest XP, just sitting around in a server will pretty much power-level you

Also, I'd really recommend dumping points into hang-gliding after you've got your basic abilities. It's incredibly fun, especially with the Mage's teleport.

Scoutfreak
Jun 26, 2013
This guy destroyed the whole forest as we tried to take him down.

I've played too much of this game already and I have to say it's definitely worth the money once you get past the first few levels, that's game really starts to pick up.Another great thing about this game is world generation. I never get tired of exploring new areas because I know I'll see something that I have never seen before. Though I do highly recommend that you play with friends as it makes the experience much more fun and makes dungeons much more manageable than it would be on your own.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Reason posted:

Whatever anyone does, don't play a warrior. I switched to mage and my experience was 1000 times more enjoyable, cleared a dungeon at level three, something I couldn't do at level ten on my warrior.

Really? I'm having the opposite experience. I found that once I got a decent weapon, armor, and the leap attack, tackling dungeons became fun, viable, and challenging at the same time. It helps that I am literally Frog from Chrono Trigger, though.

Dazh fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 6, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dazh posted:

Really? I'm having the opposite experience. I found that once I got a decent weapon, armor, and the leap attack, tackling dungeons became fun, viable, and challenging at the same time. It helps that I am literally Frog from Chrono , though.

Warrior is doable if you learn how to block and doge correctly. Just requires a bit of player skilled compared to the other classes.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You can find some really amazing biomes out in the ocean!

I got on top of this ginormous tree.

Then found some pretty impressive mountains.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Really I was skeptical when I first played the game by myself but holy poo poo playing with a group of 5-6 people is a lot of fun. I haven't lost a sense of time playing a game in years. Without a decent mode of transportation to reach some further distances I can see this being a huge turn off for some people, as I had to make an hour long trek at a point just to reach a group. Not sure how that'll affect servers that people have up unless an update gets usernames of people on the main maps and or some sort of waypoint system.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dazh posted:

It helps that I am literally Frog from Chrono Trigger, though.

This is the correct way to play a warrior.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'd love if the draw distance was a lot further at 100%.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Has the shop been up when I'm not looking? It seems like a huge number of players are playing considering the shop appears to have been down longer than it's been up - it IS at https://picroma.com/buycubeworld, right?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Gotta F5 all day every day, man.

Also, how do you even find quests, for the dudes who have? I've talked to loads of random NPCs in town but they just say the regular generic crap. I've only been able to level up by killing a lot of poo poo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Have the registration servers been up at all since the first time they've been down? I've never had so much trouble buying a game before, goddamn. It really sucks that all my friends managed to grab it and I'm the only one left out while they go on wild adventures or whatever.

Edit: WHOA drat THEY'RE UP RIGHT NOW. Anyone who was in my situation, get on that poo poo before they inevitably go back down again!

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 6, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Shima Honnou posted:

Gotta F5 all day every day, man.

Also, how do you even find quests, for the dudes who have? I've talked to loads of random NPCs in town but they just say the regular generic crap. I've only been able to level up by killing a lot of poo poo.

Press M to bring up the map and look around; you'll see some floating crossed daggers. Those are quests to kill the boss in the chunk that the daggers are floating above. Quests cycle every day (when you talk to an innkeeper or at some point normally) so if there isn't anything nearby just poke an innkeep and see if any new quests show up.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Missions are marked on your map with floating crossed swords. Mission objectives will pop up in your regular UI when you get close. Talking to NPCs has nothing to do with it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cathair posted:

Missions are marked on your map with floating crossed swords. Mission objectives will pop up in your regular UI when you get close. Talking to NPCs has nothing to do with it.

If you see an NPC with a little green speech bubble over their head tho you can talk to them and they'll reveal a dungeon location on the map somewhere. It won't have a mission, but you'll know where it is at least.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Neruz posted:

If you see an NPC with a little green speech bubble over their head tho you can talk to them and they'll reveal a dungeon location on the map somewhere. It won't have a mission, but you'll know where it is at least.

They will also give out some tips, I've had one tell me what foods are required to tame certain animals.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I just assumed those swords marked a boss, I didn't know those were the missions I was looking for! Thanks!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Shima Honnou posted:

I just assumed those swords marked a boss, I didn't know those were the missions I was looking for! Thanks!

At the moment all missions are bosses but not all bosses are missions.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Account creation is live and you can buy the game, get it while it's hot because it probably wont last.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.

Abe Frohman posted:

Account creation is live and you can buy the game, get it while it's hot because it probably wont last.

Indeed, I've finally managed to create an account, get my activation email, buy, download, and update the game all within the last 10 minutes.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Ultra awesome tip: /connect SERVER_HOST will reconnect you to a server after it crashes and comes back up. /connect must be in all lowercase.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
You guys found a lava world? Niiiice. I wish there was some way I could teleport over to you if I joined the server.

Got a relatively good screenshot for those who want to see some of the effects of world gen.

It likes to generate super tall, flat-top mountains sometimes, and they look cool as all hell.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

:siren: World Corrupting Bug! :siren:

During boss fights, if a Mage uses teleport at the wrong time just as the boss make the terrain shake with its slam/explosion attacks, the mage can glitch though the floor. This causes your world to become corrupted.

You get teleported into a small chunk in the corner of a new world map, terrain will not generate and you cannot leave said chunk. I have yet to find a way to recover the world.

This was on Multiplayer so Mages, watch out.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So how does online play work? I'm trying to join a friend's game and it seems to work just fine after opening the ports, but I just spawn in what looks like an entirely different region and I can't find him.

e: Actually it looks like my friend wasn't actually hosting the game properly. Carry on :downs:

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 6, 2013

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
:smith:

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

The Mimic posted:

It likes to generate super tall, flat-top mountains sometimes, and they look cool as all hell.

These pillars can sometimes serve as dungeons, and are totally climbable without too much effort. I had a mission to head to the top and kill a boss, but I was level 1 at the time so I got wrecked pretty hard and spawned at the bottom again. Alternatively, you can probably hang glide up there but I haven't messed around with that too much.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Good uptime. Server is going down next time it crashes.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Farming +4 monsters yields a lot of yellow quality gear. If you want to gear up that's definitely the way to do it.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

You can climb by holding Ctrl I think.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Has anyone got a handy list of / commands?
So far I've seen /connect, /namepet and /name.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Tales from riaa.servebeer.com - hopping on and then suddenly leveling up 20 times was pretty amazing.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I was finally allowed to register!

Then my PayPal account stopped working and the buy page went down again. :mad:

One of these days they will let me purchase this game! Why can't I just use a normal way to buy the game instead of stupid PayPal?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
see <PGS Thread> is coming down for a bit, going to try a new server management/restarter thingy.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 7, 2013

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Gerdalti posted:

riaa.servebeer.com is coming down for a bit, going to try a new server management/restarter thingy.

In the mean time, I'm hosting a non-permaneant server. Hop onto the CTS Mumble for the info :ssh:..

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I decided to give this a shot anyways since I managed to get the registration page when it's up. The grind isn't bad at all, I got through my first level in under half an hour solo and I only died once, playing undead Ninja, just with some basic power 1 cotton armor from a town.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cool tree dungeon. Had a ton of +2 undead.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
OK, new server/restarter admin thing has promise, but is utterly broken at the moment, so it's back to the original one.

We're back up over at RIAA.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Yeah, I gotta find a group to play with. It sucks running into things you can't handle, and I feel like any missions are far too hard to solo. I wish you could team up with some of the random friendly NPC groups you see running around- usually they turn to stare at me as I pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

TShields posted:

Yeah, I gotta find a group to play with. It sucks running into things you can't handle, and I feel like any missions are far too hard to solo. I wish you could team up with some of the random friendly NPC groups you see running around- usually they turn to stare at me as I pass.

If you're being attacked and they see it, they should help. I helped out some NPC mages that were fighting horses, and once we killed them, the mages used their healing magic on me to heal me back to full health. The AI is surprisingly good for an alpha.

• Locked thread