Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fardoche
May 29, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Tealit doesn't have anything like what I want so I'm going to sit down with a CT and go through 591.com.

Not sure if you knew that already but you can use Google Chrome to browse 591.com in a translated version.
The translation is not the best but you can figure it out. There's also a map mode on 591 that pinpoints the location of available apts right on the map.
That would be an easier way to find something close to an MRT station without having to browse through every single ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is there some sort of aversion to really short hair here? My hairdresser reacted about the same as French chef being told to cook a steak well done when I told her how short I wanted my hair. Even going as far as to dig up a fashion magazine and point to an overly styled guy on the front cover and telling me it was "so cool".

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Is there some sort of aversion to really short hair here? My hairdresser reacted about the same as French chef being told to cook a steak well done when I told her how short I wanted my hair. Even going as far as to dig up a fashion magazine and point to an overly styled guy on the front cover and telling me it was "so cool".

I don't know, but I'm 3/3 hairdressers giving me a faux-hawk. I combed it back how I like it after leaving.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I don't know, but I'm 3/3 hairdressers giving me a faux-hawk. I combed it back how I like it after leaving.

Oh yeah, they still tried that despite having very little to work with.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Sebastian Vettel posted:

"Metro-sexual" hair styles are basically the default styles for hair here. Everyone wants to look like whatever K-pop star is currently popular.

It's a 100x worse when you shave your head like I do. People here always ask me about it like I'm sick, or something. Then there are all the annoying children that think it is the height of hilarity to do the "monk praying" gestures at me. And, I don't know how many times I've had more or less this exact conversation:

:v: "Hey, can I ask why you shave your head?"
:): "Oh, no problem. I'm going bald, so you know... it just looks better this way."
:v: "But, why don't you grow it out?"
:) "Uhh... you know baldness, right? Some guys just lose there hair when they get older. I'm one of them, but it doesn't bother me"
:v: "Oh, yes, I know. But, why don't you grow it out a little."
:) "Well it doesn't look very good if I do" (show's them the lines where there is no hair so they understand) "I don't want a comb-over right? Those things are terrible." (gestures to make sure they understand what a comb-over is)
:v: "Oh, right :lol:. Those are ugly, but... why don't you grow your hair out?"
:): :stare:

None of which really bother me that much, but after 4 years of dealing with it I have to admit it's starting to wear pretty thin.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I have literally no data to back this up, but I feel like people associate real short hair with military service, and much shorter than that with monks.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

I have literally no data to back this up, but I feel like people associate real short hair with military service, and much shorter than that with monks.

The reservations against no hair is definitely because of the monk thing. People don't want to be associated with them because of their hair style.

I have no idea on the short hair thing though. Not wanting to look military would make sense though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Kinda weird you mention the military thing, I kept telling a guy cutting my hair to cut it short on Wednesday and he kept asking "Like American soldier style?" It wasn't a joke, he was referring to it like the style's name, I guess he meant a buzz cut.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I guess the NMA people really hate China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pstIBomy8Es

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cameron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pstIBomy8Es

What a factually incorrect music video! All that tech stuff is made in the mainland, in Taiwanese owned and run factories where they exploit poor migrant workers and uneducated youth!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cameron posted:

They're an arm of Apple Daily, so yeah, they kind of have a thing for flipping off the mainland.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
What website, if any, is popular among Taiwanese for selling second-hand goods? I'm looking to get a computer monitor and there's nothing good on tealit or craigslist.

Moon Slayer posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been nothing but happy with my HTC One.

Hope you are using custom firmware, because HTC is apparently still a lovely company that drops all all support including security updates after just a few months. Stay confident!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
For Android chat, I would heartily recommend Xiaomi 2S for the combination of price/performance. It's 12000 NTD for a quad core 2300 mA battery delivered to where ever. Spec wise is onpar with the bleeding edge hardware but price is half of the flagship ones. No SD card is the major draw back, but accessories and replacement parts are cheap. I cracked a screen once and paid 2400 NTD for a replacement, much much cheaper than a samsung.

TetsuoTW posted:

They're an arm of Apple Daily, so yeah, they kind of have a thing for flipping off the mainland.

It's weird that Apple Daily is like Fox News/USA today but are also the the first ones to cover human rights cases/democracy :psyduck: Do they contain lots of borderline prostitute ads as well?

Anything under the Next Media Group is anti-mainland/anti-CCP. Its founder Jimmy Lai is actually born a mainlander :ssh: but went from rags and riches with his Giordano clothing chain stores. As a supporter of 89, he got kicked out of China and moved into the entertainment business.

The guy worships free market capitalism and has a bust of Hayek and Friedman in his office :ohdear:

Speaking of Media, how popular is the Hong Kong tv station TVB? or TVB-S/whatever is called in Taiwan?

caberham fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

caberham posted:

Speaking of Media, how popular is the Hong Kong tv station TVB? or TVB-S/whatever is called in Taiwan?

I'm fairly certain that when the guys at the gym aren't watching My Cat from Hell, this is the station that's mots likely to be on.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Oz_Bonus posted:

Hope you are using custom firmware, because HTC is apparently still a lovely company that drops all all support including security updates after just a few months. Stay confident!

Yeah, the HTC One S (which I have) is a pretty decent phone. Unfortunatley HTC is not a pretty decent company. I've got another year and two months or so on my FarEastTone contract, and then I'll probably be switching to a galaxy of whatever kind is neat. HTC is just on a coke fueled business destroying binge. They come out with like six new phones a month, each with its own gimmick.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Their news station got in serious poo poo a couple of years ago for colluding with low-level gangsters to fabricate news, but somehow they’re still a major player in both news and entertainment.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, the HTC One S (which I have) is a pretty decent phone. Unfortunatley HTC is not a pretty decent company. I've got another year and two months or so on my FarEastTone contract, and then I'll probably be switching to a galaxy of whatever kind is neat. HTC is just on a coke fueled business destroying binge. They come out with like six new phones a month, each with its own gimmick.

Also HTC's custom Android skin is pretty much the worst one ever. With an HTC phone you're pretty much forced in to installing a custom rom cause lord HTCSense or whatever they're calling it now sucks.

I'm fairly certain they must have spent time designing the worst skin ever with the crap that's on the One.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sense is kind of rear end, but you don't need a custom rom, just a new launcher. I've been using SF Launcher and Simple Launcher, and they're both pretty nice.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah I installed Apex Launcher first thing, never seen Sense since.

EDIT: Just found a new tongue twister for my class :v:

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 7, 2013

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
I am surprised the Turkish guy who slept with (at last count) 500 girls hasn't made it into the thread yet. You guys did find the ABC getting butt-hurt that the kinds of Taiwanese girls who frequent Taipei nightclubs are (un)surprisingly materialistic and vacuous. Unlike the girls who frequent clubs in other parts of the world? (Frequent being the key word: going to the club with friends now and again probably doesn't say much about a person's personality.) I think the Turkish guy is doing so much more harm than that ABC, though. Having a lot of Taiwanese friends and being fluent in Chinese, I am all too often am exposed to the sad reality that many many Taiwanese people equate all of us foreigner(guys) to Mr. Turkey. Before, they had a gossipy story of some guy they heard about or a generalized caricature of us. Well, now thanks to Mr. Turkey, their stereotype has a face and a name.

The part of his story that I got a kick out of was the Taiwanese media labeling him as a a white person. In what world a person of obviously Middle Eastern / Near Eastern descent can be considered white I don't know. Granted, I can understand that the media here have a wider label for white people than back home, but, to me, saying he is white is simply laughable. And possibly an attempt to force him to fit into and ultimately personify that stereotype of the sex-crazed, lecherous white man cavorting across the island groping everything he sees.

Anyway, kudos to him for further damaging the reputation foreigners on this island have. He's been here for five years as a student, studying Chinese most likely, and hitting up clubs probably three or four nights a week trolling for naive or delusional girls. I say girls because I want to hope against hope that he was mostly landing young girls and not women his own age who should be better able to judge someone's character. Although you never know...

Here is a link to the first English story I found on Google. I am sure there are others with more information, but I have been reading the Chinese sources mostly.
http://english.ruvr.ru/news/2013_06_21/Turkish-man-held-in-Taiwan-on-sex-assault-claims-9723/

Best thing I have learned so far: the Taiwanse media will report on the size of your dick. Especially if it is big. And this dude apparently has a monster 12"er. Why that is at all relevant or worth reporting is anyone's guess. But by golly reporting it is exactly what the Taiwanese media did!

More fun facts I have heard through Taiwanese gossip and hearsay: the number 500 being the amount of girls he has slept with; the fact that he is into anal; the fact that he had sex with at least one underage girl; and the fact that his ex-gf bought him the BMW he was driving around. God Taiwanese love their gossip.

Edit: Spelling.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 7, 2013

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Actually I was so sick of hearing about it from Taiwanese friends I was pretty glad it didn't pop up in this thread at all.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's classic sensationalist reporting. Who gives a poo poo?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's classic sensationalist reporting. Who gives a poo poo?

Those of us who are single? Like it or not, this reporting shapes how a large number of Taiwanese people view foreigners--among too many other things. If I was in a long-term relationship I might also be able to casually dismiss this nonsense. Unfortunately for me, I have to spend way more time than I would like--which is ideally none--"proving" to girls that I am not a creep like the guys they hear about or read about. I guess it comes with the territory of dating girls with little to no English ability or experience with actual, real, in-the-flesh foreigners. I also work at home most of the time, so being cooped up in my house reading nonsense on Yahoo or Apple Daily when I am taking a break is likely not helping matters for me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
On the other hand, I only heard about it maybe once from one of my friends and then that was it, so I don't think that's an appropriate blanket statement.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Those of us who are single? Like it or not, this reporting shapes how a large number of Taiwanese people view foreigners--among too many other things. If I was in a long-term relationship I might also be able to casually dismiss this nonsense. Unfortunately for me, I have to spend way more time than I would like--which is ideally none--"proving" to girls that I am not a creep like the guys they hear about or read about. I guess it comes with the territory of dating girls with little to no English ability or experience with actual, real, in-the-flesh foreigners. I also work at home most of the time, so being cooped up in my house reading nonsense on Yahoo or Apple Daily when I am taking a break is likely not helping matters for me.

Wait a week and some other dumb bullshit will be on the news and no one will remember this.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
You can just, y'know, date people who are wise enough to know that each country has a wide range of people. Some Americans are sex offenders; so are some Taiwanese; so are some Turks. I can't judge for anyone else but I find it hard to understand why one would mourn the loss of a chance with someone who stereotypes a whole country or race based on something they saw on the news...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Saw a bunch of posts in the thread, immediately knew some foreigner had done something stupid enough to get on Taiwanese TV.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, it seems like you're reading a lot into how much this will really have an effect on things. The Taiwanese media sensationalizes a lot of stuff and then forgets about it quickly when the next big scandal breaks. Plus, as hitension said, why waste your time with people who are going to base their opinions on you solely through what they've read on Apple Daily or the like? Just as we denounce a lot of foreigners here who have a preconceived/blanket stereotype for how all Taiwanese people are, the same goes for Taiwanese people who are suddenly frightened that you might rape them because you're a foreigner.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It should be noted that we weren't ragging on the ABC for making us look bad. We were ragging on him for being an idiot with lovely opinions.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Why won't you join my pity party guys? These girls I meet have never met a foreigner before, let alone had a conversation with one. I know, you would think they would have all had a run-in or two by now, but a lot of people still only see us as visages walking down streets. Or in bars and nightclubs. And I'll be damned if every. single. person. does not assume I am an English teacher when they meet me. My ex-girlfriend spoke no English and saw maybe a handful of foreigners in her life before we met. Not coincidentally, she lives in a small town in Hsinchu called Hukou (湖口). I imagine my experience would be quite different in Taipei, but Taichung is a different beast. Outside of the proportionally minuscule group of locals (mostly women) who hang out, date, marry, whatever foreigners, the majority of people here have very little contact with us. We're not bumping into each other on the MRT or anything around here. And the schools here are not first-rate, so you will not find a lot of well-educated engineer students like in Hsinchu or the elite-est like in Taipei. It's tragic, but for a lot of Taiwanese people their entire knowledge of us revolves around the very news articles and stories of foreigners like Mr. Turkey, or the graffiti guy I saw last year, or the picture of the two-naked-foreigner-Spring-Scream picture from last year.

To confess, I am on something of a personal crusade to endear foreigners to Taiwanese, and poo poo like this Turkish guy ruins my week. And makes me want to throw in the proverbial towel. I know the problem lies with the Taiwanese media more so than one scumbag, but I'll be damned if I don't want an echo chamber with other not-disgusting foreigners patting me on the back and telling me it'll be all right.

As an aside:
All my neighbors are 阿媽 and I am always practicing my Taiwanese with them. I make small talk with all the tea shops and other shops around my house. I use Chinese exclusively with my co-workers (the few I have). I have met quite a few foreigners around here, and they all sadly seem to fit more into Mr. Turkey's world than my own. Directionless college grads at the gym trying to figure out the best way to hit on their English-less co-teacher (true--and disgusting--story), or even more directionless 20- and 30- and 40-somethings living the same alcohol-fueled life for the better part of a decade, if not more. You'll have to excuse me: I am turning into one of those cynical ex-pats, and I am only a tender 26 years of age.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Pandemonium posted:

Directionless college grads at the gym trying to figure out the best way to hit on their English-less co-teacher (true--and disgusting--story), or even more directionless 20- and 30- and 40-somethings living the same alcohol-fueled life for the better part of a decade, if not more. You'll have to excuse me: I am turning into one of those cynical ex-pats, and I am only a tender 26 years of age.

That's a lot of people in this thread, myself included :wth:

I'm leaving Taiwan permanently in about two months though, after 7 years here. Got married to a foreigner as well, and we don't want to live in a 3rd country forever. That means it's time to leave.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

The part of his story that I got a kick out of was the Taiwanese media labeling him as a a white person. In what world a person of obviously Middle Eastern / Near Eastern descent can be considered white I don't know. Granted, I can understand that the media here have a wider label for white people than back home, but, to me, saying he is white is simply laughable. And possibly an attempt to force him to fit into and ultimately personify that stereotype of the sex-crazed, lecherous white man cavorting across the island groping everything he sees.

In my experience it extends to Western thinking too. The label White refers strictly to cultural mindset and behavioural norms. In the case of the Turkish guy collectively we default to White by culture, since he is not Asian culture nor Black culture.

So as per below picture: we have a black guy, a white woman, and an asian guy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You don't got to date anyone, bro. Take it easy.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Why won't you join my pity party guys? These girls I meet have never met a foreigner before, let alone had a conversation with one. I know, you would think they would have all had a run-in or two by now, but a lot of people still only see us as visages walking down streets. Or in bars and nightclubs. And I'll be damned if every. single. person. does not assume I am an English teacher when they meet me. My ex-girlfriend spoke no English and saw maybe a handful of foreigners in her life before we met. Not coincidentally, she lives in a small town in Hsinchu called Hukou (湖口). I imagine my experience would be quite different in Taipei, but Taichung is a different beast. Outside of the proportionally minuscule group of locals (mostly women) who hang out, date, marry, whatever foreigners, the majority of people here have very little contact with us. We're not bumping into each other on the MRT or anything around here. And the schools here are not first-rate, so you will not find a lot of well-educated engineer students like in Hsinchu or the elite-est like in Taipei. It's tragic, but for a lot of Taiwanese people their entire knowledge of us revolves around the very news articles and stories of foreigners like Mr. Turkey, or the graffiti guy I saw last year, or the picture of the two-naked-foreigner-Spring-Scream picture from last year.

To confess, I am on something of a personal crusade to endear foreigners to Taiwanese, and poo poo like this Turkish guy ruins my week. And makes me want to throw in the proverbial towel. I know the problem lies with the Taiwanese media more so than one scumbag, but I'll be damned if I don't want an echo chamber with other not-disgusting foreigners patting me on the back and telling me it'll be all right.

As an aside:
All my neighbors are 阿媽 and I am always practicing my Taiwanese with them. I make small talk with all the tea shops and other shops around my house. I use Chinese exclusively with my co-workers (the few I have). I have met quite a few foreigners around here, and they all sadly seem to fit more into Mr. Turkey's world than my own. Directionless college grads at the gym trying to figure out the best way to hit on their English-less co-teacher (true--and disgusting--story), or even more directionless 20- and 30- and 40-somethings living the same alcohol-fueled life for the better part of a decade, if not more. You'll have to excuse me: I am turning into one of those cynical ex-pats, and I am only a tender 26 years of age.
Generally, you gotta learn to :spergin: less as you get older or you'll just be mad all the time. Some of these are going to be inherent in terms of foreigner population, from the guy who wants to gently caress everybody to the constant boozers. Just do your thing as per normal; if you're constantly "guy with a thing to prove", it's going to be very annoying and very tiring for you and everybody around you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

"In conflicting rulings In re Hassan (1942) and Ex parte Mohriez, United States District Courts found that Arabs did not, and did qualify as white under immigration law."

Yeah, I mean jesus, this whole whiteness vs. nonwhiteness thing has been locked down in America for over sixty years.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I think per the SAT you are white until you crossover from Iran to Pakistan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Generally, you gotta learn to :spergin: less as you get older or you'll just be mad all the time. Some of these are going to be inherent in terms of foreigner population, from the guy who wants to gently caress everybody to the constant boozers. Just do your thing as per normal; if you're constantly "guy with a thing to prove", it's going to be very annoying and very tiring for you and everybody around you.
Yeah, for my first few years here I was totally That Guy too, until I realized that life is much happier if I just do me and haters gonna hate. Sure, kick back when some real bullshit comes up, but the best way to improve people's perception of Whitey generally is just be a dude. Sure, Mr Turkey and the like might make people think we're all miscegenating horndogs, but that's way better than being considered literal subhumans like SE Asians are.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
To break up the monthly racism chitchat:

Poker on Wednesday July 10 @ 8:00pm
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url, myself, some other goons and non-goons will be there, my number is 0920283112 and I'm sure most of you have url's.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I think you guys are overestimating the extent to which this affects my everyday life. Just looking for a little moral support from foreigners who are not on this island to create mayhem. Working at home gets lonely :saddowns:.

And this

Magna Kaser posted:

You don't got to date anyone, bro. Take it easy.

is just terrible advice. I have limited opportunities to meet new people as it is. I am not about to turn myself into a shut-in because of how others act.

Just thought this guy was a particularly noteworthy case as he made national news for a week or two. Most guys like him are just anecdotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

is just terrible advice. I have limited opportunities to meet new people as it is. I am not about to turn myself into a shut-in because of how others act.

Just thought this guy was a particularly noteworthy case as he made national news for a week or two. Most guys like him are just anecdotes.

Haha cause not actively looking for someone to date means you're obviously a shut-in, because that's the sole reason you'd ever leave your house, right?