Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

Also in Canada the drinking age in 11 of the 13 provinces and territories is 19, but they've put 18 there as the entirety of the country.
Also they're assuming that "higher drinking age = better" as a universal, when there are a lot of other factors involved, and countries with lower drinking ages but more alcohol support services tend to have less issues with drunk driving or alcoholism.

edit: New page, so new politically loaded maps, related to the language/linguistics/force english on everyone from the last few pages.

The regression of rhotic accents within England over the last 50 years. The non-rhotic accent appears to have been something created by the educated upper classes in the late 18th century, and spread to coastal North American cities such as Boston, in addition to the upper class southern plantation owners of the 19th century. Over the past few decades rhotic accents have been slowly dying across Britain, being replaced with variants of the non-rhotic 'received pronunciation'.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Guavanaut posted:

The non-rhotic accent appears to have been something created by the educated upper classes in the late 18th century

Eh? It was born in the Southeast, where the English upper classes largely hail from, sure, but to say it was "created by" them is fundamentally silly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ras Het posted:

Eh? It was born in the Southeast, where the English upper classes largely hail from, sure, but to say it was "created by" them is fundamentally silly.
Even if they didn't invent it, it seems to have been certainly propagated by them as a sign of being distinguished in some manner. Thus it being adopted by the Boston brahmins and historically by plantation owners in the Southern US states.

They probably didn't create non-rhoticism out of whole cloth themselves, but the association between upper-classness (or at least being educated) and being unable to pronounce a tremulant R sound seems to have ingrained itself at some point.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
In reference to maternity leave, the USA needs to get its poo poo together. How is that not in the FMLA?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Idiot Kicker posted:

In reference to maternity leave, the USA needs to get its poo poo together. How is that not in the FMLA?

FMLA guarantees unpaid leave.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'd love to see a similar map to this, but in regards to safe drinking water from the tap. I still regret drinking from a water fountain in Trabzon once.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

FMLA guarantees unpaid leave.

Yeah it just prevents you from getting fired for taking family leave.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Ofaloaf posted:

I'd love to see a similar map to this, but in regards to safe drinking water from the tap. I still regret drinking from a water fountain in Trabzon once.

That has to deal with local bacteria more though. Back in the late 1800s, baseball players had a serious home field advantage because their immune systems were used to local bacteria, but traveling teams got sick. The water itself was safe to drink once you get used to the bacteria, but you get sick until acclimation.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

No, English is awful, spelling is too different from pronunciation(and all those th and ae sounds, ugh)

Yea, coming from a phonetic language (romanian), english spelling is terrible and makes no sense whatsoever. French is even worse tho. For example I learned french for 11 years in school, and learned italian by watching cartoons on italian tv as a kid, and ended up better in italian than in french. One could say that's because italian is the closest language to romanian, but then again more than a third of romanian vocabulary is of french origin so it should be way easier to learn than it actually is.

In Romania we used to have 2 years mandatory paid leave for new mothers, and employers weren't allowed to fire them. But about 2 years ago as part of austerity measures (thanks IMF and Germany!) the paid leave was reduced to only 1 year with protection from firing, and if you take 2 years they can fire you after you go back. That was just senseless and retarded, basically a big gently caress you to women (again, thanks Germany!).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Normally I would agree that maternity leave is the last thing you want to start applying austerity to in a country experiencing a terminal demographic crisis, but two years does seem crazy. Are you serious about that? I think it's four months in Belgium.

Edit: also, it was mandatory? You just mean that the employer had to allow it and not that the mother was forced to stay at home for two years, right? Because if it's the latter you can unironically thank Germany for making you get rid of an insanely sexist law.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 6, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yes, please blame Germany for everything, instead of the troika that is the ECB, EU commission, and IMF.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, but consider this: Hitler.

Checkmate, Germanailures. :smug:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
EDIT: Not for this thread.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 6, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In addition to what Benito Hitlerstalin said, smoking is definitely banned on campuses in California. I don't know about other states, though, does every state have to have it on the books for it to qualify as a subnational-level law?

The phrasing itself is pretty ambiguous. In schools? Yes, I'd say it's almost universal in the United States that smoking is banned within the confines of a school building. On school property? No, most schools (at least college level) have designated smoking areas away from buildings.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Crasscrab posted:

The phrasing itself is pretty ambiguous. In schools? Yes, I'd say it's almost universal in the United States that smoking is banned within the confines of a school building. On school property? No, most schools (at least college level) have designated smoking areas away from buildings.

I don't know if the maps themselves were made by someone British, but since they were posted on the BBC website I expect they're using "school" in the British sense which is education establishments for children, and does not include colleges or universities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reveilled posted:

I don't know if the maps themselves were made by someone British, but since they were posted on the BBC website I expect they're using "school" in the British sense which is education establishments for children, and does not include colleges or universities.

In that case it's pretty disingenuous since legal age for smoking is 18 and most if not all states enforce that.

Anyway, in car news

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ofaloaf posted:

You cannot really generalise that to countries though, I'm from an island where we don't have drinking tap water but the mainland and some other islands do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

computer parts posted:

In that case it's pretty disingenuous since legal age for smoking is 18 and most if not all states enforce that.

Anyway, in car news

The legend of this map is dumb as all hell.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

The legend of this map is dumb as all hell.

It took me a second or two to understand it, but it's not difficult to follow. Having just purchased a car, I thought this was incredibly interesting. I had no idea that so many states purchased F-150s more than anything else.

For what it's worth, my new car (an Escape) didn't make the list. :smith:

Edit: ∨∨∨∨ Turns out I'm an idiot and it actually did make the list. I'll learn to read one of these days.

Hitch fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 6, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

computer parts posted:

The way I would interpret that map would be "is it illegal for adults (teachers, janitors, admin staff) to smoke in school?"

Chances are the map is still wrong though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hitch posted:

It actually did in Ohio and Michigan. (this really needed to be like 2-3 maps)

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Hitch posted:

It took me a second or two to understand it, but it's not difficult to follow. Having just purchased a car, I thought this was incredibly interesting. I had no idea that so many states purchased F-150s more than anything else.

The Ford F-Series is the most sold vehicle in the country, followed closely by the Chevrolet Silverado.

I'm amazed that the most purchased vehicle in Oklahoma is the Nissan Altima and not a truck.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

jb7 posted:

I'm amazed that the most purchased vehicle in Oklahoma is the Nissan Altima and not a truck.

That stood out to me too. I thought it was potentially because of a manufacturing facility there, but turns out Nissan only has manufacturing facilities in Smyrna, Tennessee; Canton, Mississippi; and Decherd, Tennessee -- in the U.S. at least.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jalopnik made a better version of the car sales map.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Difference between the two maps: the first says most sold car in California is a Camry and the second says it is a Prius.

My gut tells me it is the second that is accurate.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

computer parts posted:

Anyway, in car news

The northeast being some kind of Honda stronghold strikes me as really strange. Totally fits with my own personal experience, but I wonder why things worked out that way?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The northeast being some kind of Honda stronghold strikes me as really strange. Totally fits with my own personal experience, but I wonder why things worked out that way?

Easier to park a CRV than an F-150.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This map is interesting. What's the measurement? How long it takes to travel to certain areas?

VVVV Thankyewverymuch. :tipshat:

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 6, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prefect posted:

This map is interesting. What's the measurement? How long it takes to travel to certain areas?

The original post is here (that's also where I got the cars map). It's the distance from a major road or airport.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

3peat posted:

then again more than a third of romanian vocabulary is of french origin

Whoa, that's unexpected. Could you explain how French has had such a big impact on a language so distant from the French state?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Squalid posted:

Whoa, that's unexpected. Could you explain how French has had such a big impact on a language so distant from the French state?

Romanian is a romance language, it's not too surprising they'd borrow many words from another Romance language.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I am shocked and appalled that the Southeast, bastion of America, drives furriner Japanese cars moreso than red-blooded American cars.

The Northeast and West Coast are to be expected, though, since they're not Real America and thus hate American products.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Romanian is a romance language, it's not too surprising they'd borrow many words from another Romance language.

Yes but it would be reasonable to expect they wouldn't need to.

e: Indeed they didn't need to. At least according to the Internet it was a conscious effort:

quote:

Many of these words served to replace Slavic words which were thought inappropriate by many Romanian patriots of that time.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 6, 2013

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Ofaloaf posted:

I am shocked and appalled that the Southeast, bastion of America, drives furriner Japanese cars moreso than red-blooded American cars.

The Northeast and West Coast are to be expected, though, since they're not Real America and thus hate American products.

A lot of the Japanese cars are actually manufactured in the Southeast.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Hey, at least it's better than "I like beating up fascists so much!" :)

I'm glad someone is thinking of the poor fascists.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ofaloaf posted:

The Camry is built in Georgetown, KY. Or at least a lot of them are.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm glad someone is thinking of the poor fascists.

He's referring, I believe, to the D&D tendency to grandstand about "bash the fash" while, you know, never actually doing it.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

computer parts posted:

Anyway, in car news

I am genuinely shocked the #1 in Alaska isn't a Subaru.

I guess it is "new" cars and not ones people drive and/or have a half dozen of rusting on their property, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

You've got to be working under some really hosed up definitions to end up with a map looking like this:

Or this:

Constitution as in what? Founding document? Body of law? Under what definition does the UK (uncodified constitution) end up blue, but other nations with equally good legal protections and statutes red? And then there's the second one which in addition to having all the problems of the first one is pretty much a map on specificity masquerading as a map on disabled children and their rights. A bad map.

e: This, for example, wouldn't cut it for the purposes of the second map:

I'd suppose it's counting the Human Rights Act as as close to a constitutional document as you can get (along with some other important legislation)? :shrug: