Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Isn't Supergirl's robot house the new Eradicator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
This week's Action wasn't awful like the vanilla title, but it's very much a fill-in story. Things are just kind of... there. The only thing I genuinely enjoyed about this month's Action was in the backup, with the science guild's bodysuits being a nod to the Byrne-era Kryptonian outfits.

Beyond that, I'm just glad I only have to get through next issue and villains month and we'll have the Pak/Kuder combo righting this title again. Unless it gets immediately roped into the Back To Krypton story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HitTheTargets posted:

Isn't Supergirl's robot house the new Eradicator?

Could be both thanks to time travelling bulshit. I mean, since Lobdell's first issue he has set a doomsday cult on Krypton lead by the Eradicator and H'el was send to Krypton's past at the end of H'el on Earth so v:v:v

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

Space_Butler posted:

This week's Action wasn't awful like the vanilla title, but it's very much a fill-in story. Things are just kind of... there. The only thing I genuinely enjoyed about this month's Action was in the backup, with the science guild's bodysuits being a nod to the Byrne-era Kryptonian outfits.

Beyond that, I'm just glad I only have to get through next issue and villains month and we'll have the Pak/Kuder combo righting this title again. Unless it gets immediately roped into the Back To Krypton story.

Is it good enough to bother buying? Because I was just planning on skipping Action Comics until Lobdell scuttled away to write his crap stories in his own book.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
What happened with the Diggle issues? Did more than one come out? Does the story go anywhere? I dropped the book when Morrison left but Unchained didn't really grab me.

Gotta have my Supes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

What happened with the Diggle issues? Did more than one come out? Does the story go anywhere? I dropped the book when Morrison left but Unchained didn't really grab me.

Gotta have my Supes.

Last "Diggle" issue is out. He left after his first and the rest were just based on his plot. Wait for #25 when Greg Pak takes over and go buy Batman Superma #1 right the hell now.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
That's so insane. I'm not that into Daniel but Diggle usually keeps me entertained.

I love Pak and Lee so I guess that's now on my to do-list. I was considering waiting for the trade until I realized it would probably be two years until they release it in softcover.

Is Superboy still garbage? I love Conner Kent and that Lemire book was A+ for me. I imagine none of that possible exists anymore?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Is Superboy still garbage? I love Conner Kent and that Lemire book was A+ for me. I imagine none of that possible exists anymore?
The writing and dialogue has improved under Justin Jordan but it's currently wrapped up in some story involving H.I.V.E. that feels editorially mandated since that's currently the big bad organization over in Lobdell's Superman book.

That's pretty much been the problem with the series from the get-go is it's a solo title that's never been allowed to be solo. From the beginning he was tied up as a companion book to Teen Titans from the perspective of the bad guys, then it got involved in The Culling, then it was tied down to stuff happening in The Ravagers, then the H'el On Earth story in Superman, and now the H.I.V.E. thing happening in Superman. And after this it sounds like it's going to tie into Lobdell's "Back To Krypton" arc.

Jordan is a great writer, anyone that's reading his Shadowman over at Valiant can attest, but he's clearly not being allowed to do his own thing at all. The book is tied to the whims of whatever Lobdell is doing, which is just tiresome at this point.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

The Superboy you know and love no longer exists. The current Superboy is a clone, and he may call himself Conner, but that's it.

They can do whatever they want with his title, nothing is going to fix it. This character is one of the New 52 revisions that got messed up the worst. There is no saving it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Revol posted:

The Superboy you know and love no longer exists. The current Superboy is a clone, and he may call himself Conner, but that's it.

He's always been a clone, though.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mimir posted:

He's always been a clone, though.

That was the point. This Superboy is a clone, like the last one, and he calls himself Conner, like the last one, and that's basically where the similarities end because New 52 Superboy is just horrid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That was the point. This Superboy is a clone, like the last one, and he calls himself Conner, like the last one, and that's basically where the similarities end because New 52 Superboy is just horrid.

You know what origin they should use? The one from this letter.

I wonder whatever happened to that kid and what he is doing now? Also what does he think of this new Superboy?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Maybe it's time for me to switch gears. How is the Supergirl book? I've never really read anything with her. The original Crisis maybe. A little Batman/Superman.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The Supergirl book moves slow as hell, but the writing is tight enough and the art is gorgeous. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skip the H'ell on Earth crossover and it's all pretty neat.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I didn't get to read it til today but this week's Adventures of Superman chapter might be the finest thing Tom DeFalco has written in close to a decade. The art style was gorgeous, too, and the throwback costume worked perfectly. It's so nice that while the superman titles are being dominated by mediocrity, there's at least this one shining example of how to do comics right.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

I didn't get to read it til today but this week's Adventures of Superman chapter might be the finest thing Tom DeFalco has written in close to a decade. The art style was gorgeous, too, and the throwback costume worked perfectly. It's so nice that while the superman titles are being dominated by mediocrity, there's at least this one shining example of how to do comics right.

I also find it hilarious that global warming deniers are equal to Superman deniers.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Now that it's wrapped up, you guys should check out Calamity Jon Morris's Villains of Steel series, wherein he drew 75 different villains who have challenged Superman across various media for 75 years. All the hits, plus lots of deep-rear end cuts in there.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Space_Butler posted:

Pete Woods is a dope Superman artist and I loved his work on the title in the mid-aughts when Kurt Busiek was writing it (totally different style than in this week's AoS though - but equally pretty.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bought some Detolfs at Ikea a few weeks ago, tonight I got the last one sorted out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Once again Adventure of Superman is the best Superman title on the market.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again Adventure of Superman is the best Superman title on the market.

That sequence with Brainiac is genuinely clever. Man, it kills me that Injustice outsells AoS beyond the point of comparison. We really do get the comics we deserve.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Now that it's wrapped up, you guys should check out Calamity Jon Morris's Villains of Steel series, wherein he drew 75 different villains who have challenged Superman across various media for 75 years. All the hits, plus lots of deep-rear end cuts in there.

I saw that and loved the bookends.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Justin Jordan has walked off Superboy.

I was expecting this sooner or later, due to Lobdell's 2nd huge Super-title crossover about everyone going back in time to Krypton. I don't know why DC brings new writers on just to make them tie into events plotted by different people a couple issues later.

Ah well, this is the last push I needed to drop Superboy without any reservations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
So anyone notice that the majority of walk-offs seem to happen almost exclusively under Eddie Berganza's titles, nowadays?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
How in the world does Lobdell get so much creative control? First he craps all over one of my favorite characters in the new 52 (Superboy), and now he's dragging down practically every single Superman title with not only his terrible writing but also his insane love of crossovers. How well can his word block comics actually be selling?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoft posted:

How in the world does Lobdell get so much creative control? First he craps all over one of my favorite characters in the new 52 (Superboy), and now he's dragging down practically every single Superman title with not only his terrible writing but also his insane love of crossovers. How well can his word block comics actually be selling?

His comics are fun but to be honest I don't think that the crossovers are Lobdell's choice, that reeks more to Editorial interference. Since Snyder's bullshit crossovers sells like hot cakes on Batman it should be the same with Superman, right? :suicide:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Semper Fudge posted:

So anyone notice that the majority of walk-offs seem to happen almost exclusively under Eddie Berganza's titles, nowadays?

I've been toying with the idea of doing deep research on this exact thing, but that's a story for another thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Snyder's bullshit Batman crossovers? Take another look over Death of the Family and compare it to H'ell on Earth.
At least the ancillary books there were just that. You could solely read the Batman arc, but meanwhile some of the side stories were really decent.
H'ell was totally invasive crud, done in the worst way where you're required to read every drat thing across titles or be lost for the next issue of your preferred comic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Snyder's bullshit Batman crossovers? Take another look over Death of the Family and compare it to H'ell on Earth.
At least the ancillary books there were just that. You could solely read the Batman arc, but meanwhile some of the side stories were really decent.
H'ell was totally invasive crud, done in the worst way where you're required to read every drat thing across titles or be lost for the next issue of your preferred comic.

That's a matter of perspective, while I admit that H'el on earth ended on a whimper I didn't found invasive at all on the other titles and frankly, I like better when a story is told between various titles that when the plot is hijacked by a random crossover just because.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Supergirl tried its damndest to keep the plot moving during H'El on Earth but with another crossover coming I think it's time to just give up. I can't take it when comics get completely derailed by other writer's nonsense. It's the same thing that happened with a lot of titles in Marvel, especially a solo title like Ms. Marvel where you've have 4 regular issues and then 3-5 issues of a forced crossover/event.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Johnston is reporting that DC is offering John Romita Jr his own Superman book to lure him away from Marvel once his contract is up.

I have no idea about him as a writer, but I think his art has been pretty atrocious from his Avengers run onward (and especially with how lazy his Captain America has been getting), so this might be the fastest "pass" from me yet. If it happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

Johnston is reporting that DC is offering John Romita Jr his own Superman book to lure him away from Marvel once his contract is up.

I have no idea about him as a writer, but I think his art has been pretty atrocious from his Avengers run onward (and especially with how lazy his Captain America has been getting), so this might be the fastest "pass" from me yet. If it happens.

He'd do a good Superman but his Image mini series he wrote was horrible. This will end up being as bad as everything Tony Daniel wrote.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love the current Cap art. I hope its a bit of Chinese Whispers and he's not writing a book, but taking over Unchained from Lee. That might get me to not dump that series like a pile of bricks.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Bad times coming for Lois Lane.

quote:

We were given hints into the Superman Annual with Scott Lobdell and Dan Jurgans, that it would be primarily Lois centred, but here was a hesitant caution given as to what is done to Lois. “The good news is that she has this brilliant spot light on her and it’s going to be huge, but the bad news is what we do to her is really bad.

This seems to be a common tactic, especially from DC. "You know that character you like? Well, their life is about to become HELL. LITERAL, loving HELL. THEY WILL WISH FOR DEATH, BUT IT WILL NEVER COME."

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Hey fans you all miss Lois Lane right? Well guess what we're going to give you an issue all about her as she has her arms ripped off by Superboy Prime

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

A while back I said that if Man of Steel's (awesome) take on Lois led to her gaining renewed attention in the comics, that alone would justify the movie's existence. All my friends loved Adams and said this made them finally see what I've seen in the character, and given how movies bleed into comics I figured we'd get Lois back as a major character soon.

So naturally they announce Superman/Wonder Woman, and then this. Well, A+ for confounding expectations, I guess? :smithicide:

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I

Space_Butler posted:

Ever since as a wee child I saw JRjr's artwork, I have always hated it. I cannot for the life of me understand why he is so well regarded and how he still gets work.

The only effect this will have on me is to somehow reduce my desire to buy Superman comics even further, which I thought was impossible.

As a gigantic Superman fan you have no idea how much it depresses me to write that :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mike From Nowhere posted:

A while back I said that if Man of Steel's (awesome) take on Lois led to her gaining renewed attention in the comics, that alone would justify the movie's existence. All my friends loved Adams and said this made them finally see what I've seen in the character, and given how movies bleed into comics I figured we'd get Lois back as a major character soon.

So naturally they announce Superman/Wonder Woman, and then this. Well, A+ for confounding expectations, I guess? :smithicide:

The first arc of that comic should end with them breaking up and it becomes Superman/Lois Lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

The Goon posted:

Ever since as a wee child I saw JRjr's artwork, I have always hated it. I cannot for the life of me understand why he is so well regarded and how he still gets work.

I've actually always been surprised at how much people seem to dislike JRJR online. He's not my absolute favourite and he can be incredibly sloppy when he's rushing to hit deadlines (hello AvX!!), but I've loved a lot of his work over the years.

• Locked thread