Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite part is that there just happened to be a spaceship right there for them to get on. It's like they were purposefully trying to one up themselves in the bullshit department.

I still wish Adel had been the main villain. Even if everything else was virtually the same, it would have saved the game somewhat. Adel mind controlled Edea and Rinoa to try and free herself and then the heroes of the present (Squall and CO.) unite with the heroes who defeated her in the past (Laguna and co.) to put a stop to her evil forever. Thus no time travel nonsense and the overall plot is pretty much the same.

It's kinda sad when a few lines of dialogue make your secondary villain more threatening than your main one but that's exactly what happened with Adel and Ultimecia for me.

IAMALIVEDONOTFORGETABOUTME

I liked the clever foreshadowing of Adel's presence in the game. It's clear that before the writers decided to make FF8 a complete irredeemable shitpile that Adel was going to be the main villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thematically speaking it would've also further reinforced the parallel between Squall and Laguna, the son finishing the father's fight just like he kind of weirdly fulfilled his unresolved love affair.

Having this conversation really confuses me about why they didn't do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Wait, then what do you call the first KH when Sora first meets Squall Leon in the town world?
Sora is not a Final Fantasy character.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Thematically speaking it would've also further reinforced the parallel between Squall and Laguna, the son finishing the father's fight just like he kind of weirdly fulfilled his unresolved love affair.

Having this conversation really confuses me about why they didn't do it.

The more I've though about it, the more it seems like FF8 was originally written by a decent team who wanted to tell an interesting story and were subsequently overruled on pretty much every single element ever by an incredibly dull moron with delusions of literary grandeur.

I really wish I knew who to blame for it, though, since Kitase also directed F6, Chrono Trigger, FF7, and FFX. I suppose every good director has his/her One Big Flop?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Great Lakes Log posted:

Alright FF8 plot was some big time bullshit stuff before Disc 3 but now it's morphed from bullshit to batshit. I guess Squall willed Rinoa back to life with the power of love, but in that little FMV bit it looks like she just flips some switch as if she forgot to have her life support back-up active or something. That whole space romance scene was bizarre enough, and then a human voice showed up to croon over their cockpit love sesh.

Was that song in English in all versions or was that translated?

RE: The spacesuit bit: Rinoa was basically out of it after Ultimecia released her control on her, Squall's ring snapped her out of it in time to hit her emergency oxygen.

I assume it requires you to hit a button because it's not dramatic when it does it automatically.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Good lord, whoever did the level design for FF XIII-2 has a massive hardon for making the player sit around while pieces of the scenery rotate. I thought it was bad before, but I'm about to quit halfway through the last level and google the ending because it is just so. loving. tedious.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think you guys are forgetting that every game is the worst Final Fantasy game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Speaking of the worst Final Fantasy game, I'm enjoying FF2 a lot more than I was expecting. The dungeon design is loving horrid, and there's still some moronic mechanics like how agility gains work, but if you play the game normally instead of beating yourself up for hours, the game's still plenty fun.

I've only beat the PS1 version once when it came out, but now that I know how everything actually works I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's actually kind of nice having all your stats go up after each battle instead of grinding EXP to hit certain thresholds, it makes you feel like you're actually getting stronger and kind of makes you want to fight in the game's numerous battles. You know, outside of dungeons where the high encounter rate is a loving pain.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Good lord, whoever did the level design for FF XIII-2 has a massive hardon for making the player sit around while pieces of the scenery rotate. I thought it was bad before, but I'm about to quit halfway through the last level and google the ending because it is just so. loving. tedious.

That dungeon is completely awful but the last boss is alright and you'll appreciate the ending more when you've suffered for it... :unsmigghh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

I just hope you aren't OCD about catching monsters because some of them only spawn on certain platforms.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm also playing XIII-2 again and I didn't realize how many areas I haven't unlocked even though I finished the game. And on top of that I'm out of Wild Artefacts. It's going to be a pain to figure out which ones I still need to get.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I just hope you aren't OCD about catching monsters because some of them only spawn on certain platforms.

Oh god, looks like I'm not doing the bestiary sidequest as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just fighting them isn't that tough. It's that they also have an obscenely low catch rate, or whatever, is the main problem. Even with the boost, it still requires tons upon tons of fights to actually get them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PunkBoy posted:

Oh god, looks like I'm not doing the bestiary sidequest as well.
Bestiary sidequest only ended up making me grind one thing in that floaty area at the end.

...and one was enough, since it was pretty awful, but you will get the majority of them if you just go through to the final boss and get in fights along the way.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I must've gotten lucky, the only one that took me a while to get was a Tonberry.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of the worst Final Fantasy game, I'm enjoying FF2 a lot more than I was expecting. The dungeon design is loving horrid, and there's still some moronic mechanics like how agility gains work, but if you play the game normally instead of beating yourself up for hours, the game's still plenty fun.

I've only beat the PS1 version once when it came out, but now that I know how everything actually works I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's actually kind of nice having all your stats go up after each battle instead of grinding EXP to hit certain thresholds, it makes you feel like you're actually getting stronger and kind of makes you want to fight in the game's numerous battles. You know, outside of dungeons where the high encounter rate is a loving pain.

I can tell you that you're going to be in for some serious pain later on with the "rules" that the thread picked for you.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
The absolute worst example of poor level design is Academia 400 AF. Low-level, easy to beat enemies spawning every five steps, so you have to fight them? And the area is one huge maze full of similar looking platforms? And sometimes they spawn in places you can't get to them, so you can't even find them in time to get a pre-emptive strike to make them end quicker? Who greenlit that level as an example of acceptable level design?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I ended up youtubing the ending and didn't really feel like I missed anything by doing so. I liked the game but they really saved the worst for last.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Moon Monster posted:

I ended up youtubing the ending and didn't really feel like I missed anything by doing so. I liked the game but they really saved the worst for last.

Fight three bahamuts that come out of nowhere! We they summoned by the Chaos? I thought Eidolons were the domain of Etro? Why would the Chaos look like an Eidolon? Did Caius soul turn into 3 dragons? Where the gently caress am I? Wait Caius is still alive? But not after Lightning kills him? The Worlds been destroyed but now there's a new one where everyone from this game still exists?

This is probably all explained if I spend my time reading the Codex but as far as 'things the game tells you while playing' the whole ending/set up for LR makes so little sense.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I just might have bought Final Fantasy VII (again), this time on Steam.
Is it possible to enjoy both high quality characters and the built-in Character Booster (as I really don't want to grind too much this time around)?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
As ridiculous as XIII-2's end game was. I still like the fact that the game starts its ending as happy as possible then goes off the rails into armageddon.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I've been replaying FFVII, and I just want to say gently caress Corel Prison. Even though I worked out that I was meant to go NorthEast, the first time I tried, I just ended up encountering the Chocobo cart. Each time you get lost in the desert, it takes ages to be rescued so you can get another attempt. Also, the thief enemies in the town area were really annoying if they escaped as soon as they stole something from you, like your precious 1/35" figurine.

Having to do both Barret and Red XIII's back story areas back-to-back was a bit of a slog, but at least you get back on the main story when you visit Nibelhim. I'm amazed how big the clues in the mansion basement were, although I already had that spoiled for me when I first played it a few years ago. The boss in the safe hiding the key to Vincent's room was pretty bullshit, since when it got to half health, it just started to one-shot my characters faster than I could revive them.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Iacen posted:

I just might have bought Final Fantasy VII (again), this time on Steam.
Is it possible to enjoy both high quality characters and the built-in Character Booster (as I really don't want to grind too much this time around)?

The mod guide I used includes a trainer which can do most of the same things I think. It does involve disabling achievements and cloud saving though.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg183580#msg183580

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Fight three bahamuts that come out of nowhere! We they summoned by the Chaos? I thought Eidolons were the domain of Etro? Why would the Chaos look like an Eidolon? Did Caius soul turn into 3 dragons? Where the gently caress am I? Wait Caius is still alive? But not after Lightning kills him? The Worlds been destroyed but now there's a new one where everyone from this game still exists?

This is probably all explained if I spend my time reading the Codex but as far as 'things the game tells you while playing' the whole ending/set up for LR makes so little sense.

I'm pretty sure the game implied at some point on its own that there's multiple Caius' in the timelines and it really only takes one for him to succeed which is part of the reason why the heroes never really had a chance. That being said I haven't played FFXIII-2's main story in a while, so take that with a grain of salt. Also the whole thing about the three Bahamuts is they're just final bosses, that's like asking why Zeromus turns into a robot armadillo thing after his transformation and why Neo Exdeath turns into... whatever the hell. It's just him taking his power to the highest level and becoming some huge monster like in ever other JRPG ever.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Who needs to catch monsters when you have Sazh, Snow, and two different Lightnings via DLC :getin:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

Who needs to catch monsters when you have Sazh, Snow, and two different Lightnings via DLC :getin:

I pretty much gave up on monster catching as soon as I got Valkyrie Lightning in my party.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Because the DLC expects you to be at a stupidly high level to win those battles. :negative:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

S-Alpha posted:

Because the DLC expects you to be at a stupidly high level to win those battles. :negative:

Not Sazh! No fighting required to get the bestest Synergist ever.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

S-Alpha posted:

You just have to beat Valk Lightning's dlc to get her. It spoils the end of XIII-2 though. Same with Sazh minus the spoilers. You can do Lightning/Amodar pretty early on. She isn't a guaranteed drop though, which is annoying. There are a few others which are difficult though, like Snow's.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What about the secret ending, Caius was a Terminator all along?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I never bothered with any of the dlc and don't think I missed out too much. As much as I enjoyed the game I didn't care enough to just play some coliseum battles even if it did include Gilgamesh (possibly one of the best renditions of his theme there too), Ultros and various other things like that to fight.

If they had just added more crazy alternate timelines as dlc instead I think I would've been more tempted.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm pretty sure the game implied at some point on its own that there's multiple Caius' in the timelines and it really only takes one for him to succeed which is part of the reason why the heroes never really had a chance. That being said I haven't played FFXIII-2's main story in a while, so take that with a grain of salt. Also the whole thing about the three Bahamuts is they're just final bosses, that's like asking why Zeromus turns into a robot armadillo thing after his transformation and why Neo Exdeath turns into... whatever the hell. It's just him taking his power to the highest level and becoming some huge monster like in ever other JRPG ever.

Exdeath is already a bunch of monster souls shoved into one body so it makes sense he becomes some creepy legion of the terrors kind of deal.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's a little weird how Caius hasn't shown up in any of the Lightning Returns trailers. Does he just sort of gently caress off after getting a Yeul that doesn't die?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Level Slide posted:

It's a little weird how Caius hasn't shown up in any of the Lightning Returns trailers. Does he just sort of gently caress off after getting a Yeul that doesn't die?

Well... Noel kills him. Or, rather, he spears himself on Noel's sword. Given the whole undeath thing going on with LR, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up at some point. Just... hopefully with a different outfit.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

To fully illustrate the equality in power between Caius and Eclaire Lightning, Caius will also have access to >100 costumes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Looking forward to his Aeris outfit! I also wonder what happened to Mog. I forgot if he's still around after the ending of XIII-2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Jesus, we can only hope.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well... Noel kills him. Or, rather, he spears himself on Noel's sword. Given the whole undeath thing going on with LR, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up at some point. Just... hopefully with a different outfit.

And isn't the whole point of the secret XIII-2 ending that Caius wins no matter what and he's still alive somewhere. That's what I took from it anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

And isn't the whole point of the secret XIII-2 ending that Caius wins no matter what and he's still alive somewhere. That's what I took from it anyway.

That's the secret ending that leads into the Lightning DLC I think? Cause she's fighting him there then kills him and goes into a crystal coma and that's how she's alive in LR.

Unless the Secret Ending is after that then? But he and Yeul are in the room she should be sleeping in....so I have literally no idea. FF13-2 is some of the worst story telling.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

CottonWolf posted:

Pretty much. I always viewed it as Toriyama trolling the hell out of the players who bitched about XIII's linearity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So I just picked up DuoDecim or however it's spelled and so far the story's pretty alright. There's some good Laguana dialogue. Also the opening cutscene has a Shirtless Tidus bare knuckle brawling with Jecht and then they headbutt one another :allears:.