Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
She was shown in the intro for all three movies, along with Serpico, Farnese, and Isidro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

isn't Griffith's whole thing that he'll do anything to achieve his goals(selling his body, assassinations, ect.)?

Yes, but it's more complicated than that. This feature of his character evolves and it does so in a very viciously self-reinforcing kind of way. Once he realizes that people are dying for his ambition (dead squire with the knight doll), he very rationally concludes that selling his body for the same reason is a small thing in comparison...but that doesn't stop him from having a breakdown in front of Casca (when he claws up his own shoulders/arms while bathing in the river afterwards). Post-breakdown his resolve is hardened and he is willing to do even more unthinkable things with less remorse because, after all, he and his followers have already sacrificed so much and to stop now would be to make that sacrifice worthless.

This is pretty much his M.O. right up to the "Going to the Castle" scene during the Eclipse, where he again has a breakdown when the scale of the various sacrifices that have been made is revealed to him. At this point, he seems horrified and hesitates when given the option to blatantly sacrifice his most important followers to revive his ambition. It's only when Guts shows up at the top of the hand platform that he agrees to kill the remainder of the Hawks for the sake of his dream. At that point, he is not just continuing to justify further sacrifice based upon the worth of past sacrifices, he is also saying gently caress YOU GUTS - he is sticking it to the person who, in his mind, betrayed him and ultimately caused him to be in the position where the Eclipse was the only way his ambition could still be realized. I think Griffith is ultimately a dick because this seems to be what moves him to go through with Void's offer rather than some sentiment about those who had already made sacrifices for him, but it's such a complex situation that it's totally reasonable to sympathize with Griffith.

Griffith's internal conflict about Guts' status as a friend vs. a useful tool to fulfill his ambitions, Guts' desire to be seen by Griffith as a friend and equal, and the unfortunate idealism about friends and equals that Griffith is naive enough to espouse and that Guts is naive enough to buy into all come together in a such an amazingly hosed up way that all involved parties are worthy of sympathy.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

At that point, he is not just continuing to justify further sacrifice based upon the worth of past sacrifices, he is also saying gently caress YOU GUTS - he is sticking it to the person who, in his mind, betrayed him and ultimately caused him to be in the position where the Eclipse was the only way his ambition could still be realized. I think Griffith is ultimately a dick because this seems to be what moves him to go through with Void's offer rather than some sentiment about those who had already made sacrifices for him, but it's such a complex situation that it's totally reasonable to sympathize with Griffith.

Was the part where it "showed" Griffith living peacefully with Casca in the manga or just the original anime? I thought I remembered Griffith also being pissed that he actually entertained the idea of giving up his dream because of Guts/Casca.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Khagan posted:

Did anyone else notice the random Schierke cameo in the opening credits of the Descent, thought that was really odd considering that rest of the opening footage draws from the Golden Age Arc.

I think in the intro there is also a shot of Guts in the Berserker armor so I think its just showing some random moments from the manga.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I'm really hoping the movies do well enough to warrant some more.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

The more I read this series, the more I'm convinced that Guts is going to be seen as a villain by the general populous. If the final act takes place with Griffith having home court advantage, a lot of messed up things are going to happen to normal people trying to stop Guts. (I also wonder if those crystal wings in the fields also work against Guts.)

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Azzents posted:

I'm really hoping the movies do well enough to warrant some more.

Wasn't it confirmed that they're doing more?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Cronus posted:

She was shown in the intro for all three movies, along with Serpico, Farnese, and Isidro.

I only watched The Descent partly due to people here who were unhappy with the first two.

Friend who has seen the series wants to know if the OVAs are worth watching, seeing as i haven't watched the first two should I recommend The Descent only?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Khagan posted:

Friend who has seen the series wants to know if the OVAs are worth watching, seeing as i haven't watched the first two should I recommend The Descent only?

There are a few nice scenes here and there (the assassination was pretty great) but I don't think anyone who has seen the series would need to watch them. Unlike Decent, I don't think they added anything that the TV show didn't cover.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Pensive posted:

There are a few nice scenes here and there (the assassination was pretty great) but I don't think anyone who has seen the series would need to watch them. Unlike Decent, I don't think they added anything that the TV show didn't cover.

Movie two should be watched just for the hundred man battle in my opinion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are probably bits worth watching in all three films, they just fail as a whole.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Khagan posted:

If at all possible try to get your friend to read the manga. It's better than the animated adaptations in almost every way. Beware of blue balls, though; the series probably isn't ending within the next decade.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of which, I thought we'd have a new chapter around when the 3rd movie came out on DVD. NOPE.
This has got to be a new record for break length.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I just went to check EG and saw the preview all the way back in April :smithicide: Also that falcon statue has a pretty dumb expression.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I just finished the latest chapter of the manga. I originally watched the anime a really long time ago (I always thought of it as "that medieval show that goes insane at the end"), rewatched recently and decided to give the manga a shot. My rewatch was with an uninitiated friend, his reactions were pretty :haw:

The manga: the treatment of women/girls is problematic but not condemning. The Hawk of the Millennium Empire arc was definitely the worst and just dragged on and on, but I guess the resolution was pretty cool. Fantasia appears to be getting the series back to form (or at least back to some fun episodic content). I think Berserk is the best thing I have drawn/animated thing I have experienced, at least from Japan, though I have not read any other mangas except a couple chapters of Claymore since that anime met an untimely death.

Haven't tried the new anime yet because I heard it looks

But I'll get around to it.

Question regarding translations: is the correct word for Puck, Evarella and the kid fakers "elves" or "fairies"?

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 8, 2013

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The original japanese word (yousei) isn't terribly relevant since the fairies are from western myth rather than japanese.

That said, yousei can mean both elf and fairy. And pixie and sprite. There's no real hard line between the concepts in either language, but I think most people recognize Puck and the others as fairies.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

turtlecrunch posted:

Haven't tried the new anime yet because I heard it looks

But I'll get around to it.

I just watched the third movie and it has none of this bullshit. The CG is used sparingly for character models, and the faces seem to always be hand drawn. Hopefully they keep that up in the next releases.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I just watched the third movie and it has none of this bullshit. The CG is used sparingly for character models, and the faces seem to always be hand drawn. Hopefully they keep that up in the next releases.

I watched the first movie with my friend last night. The CG was not as titanically bad as people were making it out to be (except on any scene with a single person walking, especially on a slope). The problem is that the models sucked a lot of the emotion out of the faces and did not seem to emulate the manga's artstyle too well. In addition there were a lot of what I can only call off-model faces and animations. Casca (and to some extent Griffith) didn't really look like herself to me. There are some weird versions of Griffith that show up on the manga covers and I thought this Griffith looked more like those than what comes out of the manga's actual pages. There were a lot of scenes that should have had an impact (like when Guts first sees Griffith coming down to him on his horse) that didn't. I also didn't care for the new Japanese language VAs as compared to the tv show but that's just my opinion.

However, my friend and I both agreed that the most jarring aspect of the movie was the mega-time-warps and cut content that occurred because of the movie's length. At the end I asked my friend "did Griffith say his lines about what his one true friend is like?" and my friend said he wasn't sure, and then Guts just walked off (not looking half as mad as he should have) and that was the end. :shepface:

I have heard that each one gets better though.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

That's really good news. The CG was really the only thing keeping me from watching these movies.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gaseous Snake posted:

That's really good news. The CG was really the only thing keeping me from watching these movies.

I might have to check out the third one just to see how much it's actually improved. The first one was garbage.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So is this a manga that will never finish, or is the end in sight?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

So is this a manga that will never finish, or is the end in sight?

Don't hold me to it, but I think the last projection was that it was 70-75% finished.

But the true catch is that Miura never loving updates. We are currently in the longest drought ever. We've been on the same volume for like 2 years now. There hasn't been a new Chapter since January.

Perspective:

Last chapter: January 2013
Before that: November 2012
Previous chapter: October 2012
Previous chapter: August 2012
Previous chapters: June 2012, 2 chapters whee
Previous chapter: February 2012, 2 chapters whee
Previous chapter: September 2011

And so on like that.

"Until next time!" = I am off to play my musical girl raising sims for six months

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If the 70-75% accurate is good, then we have about 110 chapters left. Which means, at Miura's current pace of around 12 chapters per year, we'll be done in around 10 years.

It has been even longer then usual since a chapter though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I think 2012 was the slowest year since 1992 and the early chapters had the excuse of being insanely long (the second tank only had 2 chapters). All current chapters are in tank format, with 19 months between volume 36 and volume 37. The previous longest gap in tank releases was 14 months between volumes 31 and 32.

One has to wonder what happened in 2005, prior to that he'd been averaging about 7 months a tank for over a decade.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 12, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It probably has to do with working on the same piece of fiction for 20 years. That's some serious poo poo. It wouldn't be so bad if there was more of a clear direction than the really not terribly compelling 'lets get to elf island!" (never get to elf island) thing.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Dave Sim did his own comic for almost 30 years without having a mental breakdown. Then again, Sim is a paranoid schizophrenic and the writing (but not art) in Cerebus went to poo poo about 2/3 of the way through. I have more faith in Miura though; he's actually a sane and reasonable person despite his totally insane art.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm watching through descent again and when paying attention, the CG is really rare on the main characters (only done with some action sequences with lots of people), and it's done much better than before. Here's an example (as far as I know there's no US release yet, so I assume it's okay to post a screenshot):

That's the CG, it looks pretty good and it's well animated. Some of the nameless fodder characters still have bland models and uncanny-valley animations, but there's only a small amount of large scale combat (with humans, anyways). The CG is actually quite amazing at times during the Eclipse though.

Still pissed that they left out the Baaki Raka though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Still pissed that they left out the Baaki Raka though.
The TV show did too and that's why the TV show be considered the superior animated presentation of Berserk.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Zogundar posted:

Don't hold me to it, but I think the last projection was that it was 70-75% finished.

But the true catch is that Miura never loving updates. We are currently in the longest drought ever. We've been on the same volume for like 2 years now. There hasn't been a new Chapter since January.

So basically he's GRRM.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The Dragonslayer

Can anyone remember any instances of other people moving or carrying the Dragonslayer when Guts was unconscious or whatever? Some nerds were arguing about how its magic so only Guts can lift it or whatever. I think remember other people trying to carry it and they couldn't swing it but they could move it.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Which means, at Miura's current pace of around 12 chapters per year, we'll be done in around 10 years.

Y'Know, that contract for the animé movies is 10 years long ...

Edit:

temple posted:

The Dragonslayer

The only reason Guts is the only one who can use it is that it's really really heavy. Nothing more to it than that. It's also cursed, but the cruse isn't malevolent in any way and I see reason why it would stop other people from picking it up.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 12, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Isidro managed to lift the hilt (for a few seconds) when he tried to steal it from Guts so I'm guessing that him or Serpico could maybe drag it. Failing that they could just magic it about, I guess.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

temple posted:

The Dragonslayer

Can anyone remember any instances of other people moving or carrying the Dragonslayer when Guts was unconscious or whatever? Some nerds were arguing about how its magic so only Guts can lift it or whatever. I think remember other people trying to carry it and they couldn't swing it but they could move it.

Godo? He repaired the sword himself while Guts was chilling in the elf cave.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

temple posted:

The Dragonslayer

It's not too heavy to lift. It's too heavy to swing as a weapon... except for Guts. I'm not sure if TV Show or Manga Godo stated that someone actually did attempt to use it against "a dragon" since that was what it was made for and was killed, leading to his banishment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought the Dragonslayer name was supposed to be ironic. If you can swing that thing around you could probably slay a dragon with your bare hands.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A king held a competition for blacksmiths to create him a sword fit to slay a dragon. All the other ones created exquisite works of art. Godo made the dragonslayer. It never got used until Guts came around, since he has explosions instead of muscles.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Well, the nerds were talking about its like 200 lbs (90.7kg) and only Guts can use it because he's magical or its magical. Basically, its impossible to use. And I think it is longer than most swords and thicker to compensate. But most German long swords (or claymores, I think it is more of those) weren't has heavy as you would imagine and in reality, its just a big sword that any big person could use. Its just that Guts is probably the only big person around and therefore he's the only one that does use it. But the Dragonslayer isn't physically impossible, just heavy as hell (and tuned to killing demons).

temple fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's actually about 4 times that, around 800 pounds, if my math was right. And the whole magical poo poo is just because it's so soaked in the blood of demons and fairy children it can cut ghosts

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, it's more a cast iron dinner table with a sword hilt on one end for kicks than anything resembling a practical weapon. Even a claymore only weighs about 6 pounds at most and renaissance parade pieces seldom exceeded 10 while never being meant for combat in the first place. Weapons that wide or that thick don't exist, much less one that's both on top of being at least a foot longer than anything the world has ever known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the consensus that we're getting a 4th film or a new TV series?