Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Bloodplay it again posted:

Those are both 10* items, though. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I can only buy those from the shop with a 10* pass. At least by grinding the 9*, I can just buy cheapies from the shops. I can't even imagine how long it would take me to farm either of those guns.
They're 10* items but you get them by having their 9* counterpart and doing Advance Quests in their respective area to gain elemental stones. You then trade in the 9* weapon and 90 stones to upgrade it to it's 10* variant.

Edit: Most 9* trade-in counterparts run 100,000 to 200,000 meseta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

MR. J posted:

Technically you'll likely get more out of 50 elementing a Sulkrai or a Friedmalinka

50 elementing those amounts to about 1300 attack, ignoring elemental weakness. I'm not sure how a straight damage multiplier of the Lambda Radiegle's potential factors in, but those only reach 1100 attack at 50 element.

To 50 element either of those, you would have to get almost 1000 of the corresponding Pyroxene stones from AQs, and you would also need enough money to purchase the 10 or so base weapons. So at this point we're talking about weeks of grinding, several million in the 9* base weapons and still no grinds or affixes. Not to mention, similar damage as an end result. This is all stuff you can do when you are well on your way with tacos at 60/60, but for someone who is still leveling up, it is a terrible piece of advice.

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'll take a look and see if I can grab that gun once my R-ATK reaches 578. Shouldn't take too long because my MAG is almost pure R-ATK (I think I have 81-82 points in R-ATK and only 6 in dexterity) and I'm also putting points into R-ATK Boost 2. Should be able to use it by level 40. Hopefully meseta starts dropping in larger quantities once I hit VH because 5 million meseta, at my current rate, would probably take another 30 hours of urban grinding.

Yeah, I was referring to the Luxe units, but I think I was confusing the price with the minced units. Maybe I should look into something that requires S/R/T-def instead of dexterity. With the exception of my rear unit, I'm using ridiculously underpowered units.

Those are both 10* items, though. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I can only buy those from the shop with a 10* pass. At least by grinding the 9*, I can just buy cheapies from the shops. I can't even imagine how long it would take me to farm either of those guns.

The Lambda Rads you will be able to grow into as you level. Getting them to +10 will be your first thing. When you have more money, you can then affix them, and once you have some serious money and extra spheres you can potential them and element grind them. You do not have to go crazy with them and sink a ton of money in them before you even equip them.

Dark Luxe are fantastic because of the huge PP bonus they give both per piece and as a set bonus. As a gunner, you shouldn't be getting hit all too much. Gunner is a class that is best played as a glass cannon.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 6, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

you could also get the +5 element boost items from player stores, but those run several million each, so youd only need 4 items and stones, but youd still be poor as poo poo by the end of it.

honestly if you're willing to put up with the Dex penalty, 50 elementing a red weapon is pretty drat easy and cheap.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Aenslaed posted:

To 50 element either of those, you would have to get almost 1000 of the corresponding Pyroxene stones from AQs, and you would also need enough money to purchase the 10 or so base weapons.
They start at 30 element, and each element grind unassisted adds 3 more element. You only need 6 or 7 copies of the weapon to have enough to max it out, and you can get enough money within 2 days worth of :taco:s. With the exception of having a terrible map, you can score 20-40 stones per Advance Quest, and you'll want to be farming those anyway since some of the best stuff theoretically drops from there. It's not too hard to dig up the resources to cap out those pryoxene weapons. Grinding them to +10, on the other hand, is a different matter, but we're getting that +10% bonus to Dudu rates soon so save up your grinders and risk reducers!

Though until he can hit level 45 to access those quests, yes, Lambda Radiegle is his best bet for decently priced/powered machineguns.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there something special you have to do to get this game to work? I've downloaded it and installed it twice thinking the first one was somehow corrupted and still can't get anything to work. I tried installing the English launchers in the OP, the one called PSO Tweaker won't even run (I did install the .net framework it asked for) and the other one seems to be giving similar errors to the Japanese launcher.

In the Japanese launcher, I can't patch or launch, error 12152 pops up every time.

In the (somewhat) working English launcher, I can't launch in English at all, I get some Japanese popup and a black screen. I can launch in Japanese, but if I try to login to a ship I get more Japanese and error 242. If I try to get the English launcher to force a patch, first I get a 404 trying to connect to patch01.pso2gs.net/patch_prod/patches/patchlist.txt, then I get a slew of error messages. Most of them are some sort of CRC hash fail, because the files it's looking for don't exist.

As far as I can tell it's like it can't see / connect to Sega's servers to download basic patch info (or it's looking at the wrong address to begin with), and then that messes everything else up. I'm running this as administrator and made sure to unblock it from Windows firewall. I tried turning it off completely, as well as adding my PC to my router's DMZ, no luck.

Googling around hasn't yielded anything useful. What am I doing wrong?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tweaker is broken at the moment because AIDA is terrible at coding. 12152 is a server connection error - I had to use a proxy to download the game and patch, otherwise I'd pull one or two megs before getting a 12152.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Best bet is for the initial patch use the JP launcher and a proxy or something to get around the http errors, and when patches roll out, you can patch using the PSO2 Tweaker. It isn't good for patching a raw client up to current, because it will crash about 40% in and lose all of the patch data, but if you are doing standard ~400MB updates or less, it handles just fine, just remember to back up your files that are replaced by the various english patches unless you want to re-download them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks for the gear advice.

I just sent out the Bitcash codes to those who were in on this run.

Reminder on how to use them: http://bumped.org/psublog/purchasing-arks-cash-in-phantasy-star-online-2-japan/

- Select Bitcash as your payment method.
- On the confirmation page there's going to be an empty box labeled ひらがなID. That's where you key your code in.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Kill alien fauna, dress up in maid costumes. Just another day in Nol Vacancy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

Kill alien fauna, dress up in maid costumes. Just another day in Nol Vacancy.

Gonna serve the gently caress outta Superfalz.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

You know it. Of course I kept the costume on when it was Falz shooty time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

For sure, Dawn and I are still wearing ours too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tweaker is broken at the moment because AIDA is terrible at coding. 12152 is a server connection error - I had to use a proxy to download the game and patch, otherwise I'd pull one or two megs before getting a 12152.

It just updated fine here a moment ago without any error messages, although the tweaker itself pulled down a new patch for itself first.

You want to download all the Japanese original version first and then any official patches before even starting, though.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 6, 2013

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
What do I do with all my dark eldar crystal things? I know I can change them into ex-cubes (but not 10* weapon trading passes), but after that what do I do with the ex-cubes? The ex-cube units aren't really that good are they?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The excube units have lucky drop if you reaaaly wanna maximize your drop rate by the tiny boost they give, otherwise you can change your photon blast or get the new one when it comes out. You can also just trade them in for a 250% rare drop boost (good if you're gonna spam falz multiple times for it for some elder weapons, or extreme quests for 11* units.)

Tengames fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 6, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Depending on your race/class combo, the excube units might actually be pretty good for S-Def (the most important defense stat) and HP if you get the Bro- c or -dot c sets.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Aenslaed posted:

In group situations, you'll find yourself using your rifle with wb loaded vs many bosses. Being able to consecutively homing emission what you've wb'd is vital. Since you cannot regen PP via left click while wb is loaded(without wasting wb), you will rely on the large PP pool. Also, your party members will thank you for the wb (makes them feel strong) and makes the boss easier since broken parts = boss stuns.

Observe this guy vs bosses half way (vol) and at the end(caters and quartz) of Sanct TA. He also makes use of the PP Mag device trick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG2N2336cg4

What is the movement trick this guy is doing in this video>?

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Quadruple dash. It involves jump dash cancel, step attack cancel, weapon switch cancel and lobby action shortcut word cancelling. Its incredibly hard to explain in text.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It's also really stupid and there's no reason to do it unless you're an impatient rear end in a top hat.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
It looks like it speeds up movement considerably. Having played SSBM for years and years this is really appealing to me.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
The general mantra in the thread is that anything relating to dashing faster, killing bosses more effectively, or trying to place importance on performing well is evil, wrong and breaking their immersion.

With triple and quad dash, you are already looking at doubling your movement speed. There are several slower but much easier ones to do like dagger and knuckle gear dashing. Those ones are very easy to master.

edit: VVVVVVV

So your gripe is with people you group with who leave you behind then? Or is the existence of movement tricks the root enabler of this behavior?

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 6, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Or you could just walk at the same pace as everyone else, so as not to kill everything before your party gets there. Crazy, I know.

I mean, if you want to do it solo or in time attacks, sure, but it's just kind of rude to do it in a party.

Aenslaed posted:

edit: VVVVVVV

So your gripe is with people you group with who leave you behind then? Or is the existence of movement tricks the root enabler of this behavior?
Thankfully, no one I play with does it. I don't know, I guess it's just the attitude behind it that bothers me. I just don't see the point in worrying about going faster in a casual co-op game. When it's actual strategy or character progression, sure, that's part of the game. But when it's abusing quirks of the engine? I just don't see the point.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 6, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Also, having played Gunz Online, animation canceling makes have 'Nam flashbacks.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Surprise Noodle posted:

I don't know, I guess it's just the attitude behind it that bothers me. I just don't see the point in worrying about going faster in a casual co-op game.

This is about how I feel. Different strokes for different folks and all. So, I understand if some people enjoy playing the game differently, but I tend to play it just as a relaxing game with friends. Rushing and trying to kill the most mobs among your party is one way some people like to play, but it's not how everyone enjoys playing.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Honestly, anything more complicated than step attack cancelling is impractical unless you can macro it, otherwise enjoy your carpal tunnel syndrome.

On another topic, I'd really like to ship a box full of dogshit to INCA to express my appreciation for their coding ability. My straight-out-of-the-box USB mouse will randomly not be recognized roughly every two minutes during quests now, requiring me to unplug it then plug it back in again. This just started on Wednesday after maintenance, so I really can't see how it could be anything other than a Gameguard fuckup.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Miijhal posted:

Also, having played Gunz Online, animation canceling makes have 'Nam flashbacks.

That's what I'm talking about!

Is there a resource to learn how to do this? I've tried asking around in-game but the consensus was that nothing faster than running existed in this game and I shouldn't go looking.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

As far as I know no one has really written any english guides on dash canceling, id have to check.

all i know is knuckle dash canceling, where if you have knuckle gear you can just hold down the attack button while dashing, and the punches will cancel out the delay between dashes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
minmaxing on a pve game aside, it's fun to watch skill videos like this one. That damage output was scary.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I've got an Elutron, and it's pretty impressive how much damage you can put out if you get your positioning right. I think the launcher he's using is a Launcher Legacy, too, which has an awesome latent ability that boosts WP damage.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

KyloWinter posted:

That's what I'm talking about!

Is there a resource to learn how to do this? I've tried asking around in-game but the consensus was that nothing faster than running existed in this game and I shouldn't go looking.

Quad I think is just over the top because of the complexity and or neccessary rebinds to pull it off. I'll go over a few here. The basic idea is that you do 'something' to override the cooldown delay after you step (hereforth "dash"). Because blue guns and yellow t-atk stuff have their own evasion type (dive roll and mirage escape respectively), they cannot be used to do this.

Double Dash (aka Dash Jump Dash)
Requires: Any Orange s-atk weapon including Gunslash.
It is the most basic and works with every class. It is simply dash, jump right after and air dash immediately after. Repeat when your char hits the ground. Very important: some weapons have terrible dash distances *cough swords cough* so you want to be doing this with partizans or knuckles ideally. This is marginally faster but has immediate start up time. Use this while fighting for best effect to counteract that period in which your char is accelerating from a dead stop.

Step Attack Cancel (aka Knuckle Dash or Dagger Dash)
Requires: Knuckles or Daggers and Step Attack skill.
This is next up and is probably the easiest to do and also very macro friendly. You will use your step attack skill as the 'something' in this case to cancel the dash delay. Dash, attack, dash, attack, repeat. For kb+m users, hold down W, and Left mouse, and tap your evade button (x). You can button mash if you want and can macro the button mashing. Using knuckles is faster if you have knuckle gear in the fighter tree. If you do not have the gear, use daggers instead.

Triple Dashing
Requires: Two Knuckles or Daggers (or one of each) and Step Attack. Rebinding your weapon switch keys.
This dash is a combination of Double Dash, Knuckle/Dagger Dash and a new 'something thrown in, weapon switching. You start with a Double Dash and Step attack to end the air dash. At this point, you switch weapon. By default, the weapon switch shortcuts are number pad 1 through 6. If you are a concert pianist, then this wont be a problem for you. If you aren't, then visit the options menu and rebind the keys to either the number key row or the f key row. You cannot use the F/R/Mouse wheel method as it must be done in 1 key press. What this will accomplish is the removal of the jump animation from Double Dash and you will appear to dash two times in a row on the ground and air dash once. You cannot have the same weapon in two slots as there will be no weapon switch animation otherwise.

Dash Jump Dash Attack Switch1 Dash Jump Dash Jump Dash Attack Switch2 Dash Jump Dash Jump Dash Attack Switch1 etc. The italicized jump is what you wont see.

You can have two of the same weapons however (ie two nishikis). If you are having problems, try practicing it slower, focusing on hitting the step attack properly.

Triple Dash + Assault Buster
Requires: Two Knuckles or Daggers (or one of each), a Partizan and Step Attack. Hunter main or subclass. Rebinding your weapon switch keys.
The same as triple but interjecting a switch to partizan when you have enough PP. From the previous example, instead of switch1, you would switch partizan, dash, assault buster till out of PP, dash jump dash attack switch1. Also doable with Straight Charge (distance isn't as great).

Rodeo Drive
Requires: Launcher and Ranger Subclass.
Rodeo drive is actually the fastest in the game by a hair, if you cancel out of it. If you've used the Rodeo Drive PA before, you'll notice that it does a spin right at the end. The movement trick is to forward dive roll just before the twirl, maximizing forward travel. Rodeo again as soon as the Dive Roll animation completes. Supplement with Double Dash using all class weapon of choice (partizan/knuckles/daggers/GS).

RA/HU Special (aka Rodeo Drive + Dagger Dash)
Requires: Ranger main and Hunter subclass. Launcher, all class daggers.
One of the neat things the most recent level cap introduced was the hybrid RA/HU build. If you chose to devote a hunter skill tree to this build, you would have access to Step Attack while also having Rodeo Drive. Like above, you would Rodeo Drive roll cancel but instead of Double Dash, you will Step cancel with daggers instead.

Rodeo Drive and the RA/HU Special are faster than Triple Dash in shorter distances and is very easy to pull off.

If you are wondering where the movement tricks for FO and TE is, well, there are none(yet).

I strongly discourage people from doing triple dash or faster as it is totally unnecessary. Simply dropping the pattern once will negate any speed advantage you had over a macro'd knuckle dash. This is for showing off or for the technicians amongst us.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 7, 2013

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
reply instead of edit!

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Small clarification, you don't actually need to have two physical weapons, just have a dagger or knuckle in 2 weapon pallet slots.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is it worth getting into this now, or should I just wait for the NA release? Or will characters be able to move between JP/NA servers?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Is it worth getting into this now, or should I just wait for the NA release? Or will characters be able to move between JP/NA servers?

At this point, there's no NA release in sight. Characters will likely not transfer if the NA version ever does happen. Just play now, honestly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Verranicus posted:

May as well get in now, seeing as the NA release is on indefinite hold. We have 90+ people in Nol Vacancy, and there are a sizeable group of pubs who speak english.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Alright, cool. Are friends allowed to join the guild or whatever? I have a friend who's been playing for a while already and she's interested in being in the same community as I am.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Alright, cool. Are friends allowed to join the guild or whatever? I have a friend who's been playing for a while already and she's interested in being in the same community as I am.

Mags has said that as long as you 'sponsor' them and they're cool, there's no issue.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Verranicus posted:

Word came out a couple days ago about servers opening up sometime early 2014 in south east Asia and special localization/content for them.

Still nothing about a NA/EU release other than "delayed".

Take from that what you will.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure the English patches killed off any hope for an official Western release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm pretty sure the English patches killed off any hope for an official Western release.

This is just a convienient excuse.

• Locked thread