Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just entertaining the idea. I just told myself I wouldn't take lower than $5,000. He offered me $4,850. It needs new tires soon and registration has about 3 months left.

It's more I don't want to sell it but I have to than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

That being said I've had way more people admire the DRZ than my R6

I also like the attention it gets, it's usually other motorcycle geeks or guys who ride dirtbikes. I like that it gets no attention from the "i got a literbike bruh" crowd. People who ride or appreciate supermotos, so far, have been really nice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The DRZ gets tons of attention. Mainly from the "what is that?" crowd, but I do run into people who are into supermotos and want to talk. Most supermoto guys are pretty cool I've found.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Am I crazy for considering a 04 ktm 625 smc with 10k miles? Asking price is 4k. It's a one owner bike. The guy also has a goldwing and his property is very well kept (in my warped logic, this implies he probably keeps up his bikes). Stock except for pipe and jets. If I could pick it up for 3.5 I think I would.

It's sad that working has turned me into a weekend warrior. Can't commute to work on a bike because of dress code, appearances, and overall practicality. The appeal of a thoroughly depreciated bike with extra cheap insurance sounds much better when you can't count on getting to ride very often.

Drzs are suddenly very rare and expensive and I don't think the extended maintenance intervals are necessary because I won't be riding near as much as I did in college.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Am I crazy for considering a 04 ktm 625 smc with 10k miles? Asking price is 4k. It's a one owner bike. The guy also has a goldwing and his property is very well kept (in my warped logic, this implies he probably keeps up his bikes). Stock except for pipe and jets. If I could pick it up for 3.5 I think I would.

It's sad that working has turned me into a weekend warrior. Can't commute to work on a bike because of dress code, appearances, and overall practicality. The appeal of a thoroughly depreciated bike with extra cheap insurance sounds much better when you can't count on getting to ride very often.

Drzs are suddenly very rare and expensive and I don't think the extended maintenance intervals are necessary because I won't be riding near as much as I did in college.

needknees loved his. I think they're paintshakers, although that's very tuning dependent. As a weekend gently caress around bike, it's perfect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

needknees loved his. I think they're paintshakers, although that's very tuning dependent. As a weekend gently caress around bike, it's perfect.

It will be like riding on a jackhammer with a seat, and people tend to be surprised when they make it past 20k (those two things might be related), but they're fun bikes.

My old roommate had one at the same time as I had my old drz and I remember the following:

-despite actually being lighter than the drz by a few pounds, it feels heavier, it just carries its weight differently.

-buy a 5 gallon drum of loctite. This isn't me being "lol ktm", every time we rode something was either missing or loose when we got back.

-his had a vapor lock/hot start problem, but that might just be because he never bothered to adjust or tune the fcr that was on it. My old and current drz, both of which had/have fcrs don't have that issue, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

All this being said, it was an amazingly fun bike and it never actually left him stranded, as a weekend warrior bike it will probably be great.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I had a 2006 KTM 625 for 10k miles and it was overall a super good bike. Valve checks are easy, oil changes are not as hard as all the crybabies will have you believe, and it is super fun. I can't compare to any other supermoto but the thing felt great to me. The vibratiness just made it feel more raw. :) I sold mine before moving to France for a bit and would buy one again.

Only issues I had were minor oil leaks that were fixed with simple gasket changes. Pretty well-documented on advrider.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I had a 2006 KTM 625 for 10k miles and it was overall a super good bike. Valve checks are easy, oil changes are not as hard as all the crybabies will have you believe, and it is super fun. I can't compare to any other supermoto but the thing felt great to me. The vibratiness just made it feel more raw. :) I sold mine before moving to France for a bit and would buy one again.

Only issues I had were minor oil leaks that were fixed with simple gasket changes. Pretty well-documented on advrider.

You moved to France and had to sell your motorcycles? I'm in the process of selling my bikes because I'm about to move to France as well. Did you buy a bike when you got to France? I'd love to hear anything you wish you had known about bikes and moving to France! :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't Europe like supermoto haven

I bet KTMs are even more expensive in Austria

I hate KTM for being so overpriced but boy do I love them and their no oil change every 200 miles maintenance intervals

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I knew I could count on SA for some motorcycle purchasing support. I'm going to look at the bike in a week or so if its still for sale. I'm kind of worried about selling my b-king. Seems like there are a lot of people who don't even know about it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The DRZ gets tons of attention. Mainly from the "what is that?" crowd, but I do run into people who are into supermotos and want to talk. Most supermoto guys are pretty cool I've found.

There are no sumo people around ere except the owner of the local Suzuki dealer, who bought for himself the only '13 DRZ the dealership was getting and immediately modded it. We are the only people around here who seem to even know what an SM is. I do get lots of puzzled looks as I blast down the road, which is always funny.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Seat Concepts seat installed. It wasn't quite as hard as I thought, but if I could have found an upholsterer, I would have gone that route. I spent $30~ on a stapler, staples, and glue.

Before:

After:

The new seat isn't as 'sharp' as the old one - the front lip doesn't lay as flush on the tank, despite my best efforts. Hand stapler was a pain in the rear end as well. They recommend an air stapler. I wouldn't say it is necessary, it would just be way easier.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What the heck is going on with that clutch lever? Do you ride standing on the seat? And it's hydraulic? Is that just a rear brake relocator?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

JP Money posted:

What the heck is going on with that clutch lever? Do you ride standing on the seat? And it's hydraulic? Is that just a rear brake relocator?

It's a rear brake on the left grip, under the clutch (it has a regular rear brake as well)

ITS FOR MAD SICK STUNTS that I never do.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I took my 625smc out for a group ride around some desert hill country roads today... and promptly had a bunch of bolts back themselves out. My license plate was hanging on by one screw and nut, and my brake light lost one bolt, and the other was super loose.

Time to go to the hardware store, and use copious amounts of loctite.

Another question: I'm not track star, but I feel like I was leaning the bike pretty far over in some turns once I got the rhythm down, and my rear tire looked like I had scrubbed a good portion of it. However, my front tire still had a lot of untouched tread on either side of it. Is this normal for sumos, or am I just not leaning very far?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I took my 625smc out for a group ride around some desert hill country roads today... and promptly had a bunch of bolts back themselves out. My license plate was hanging on by one screw and nut, and my brake light lost one bolt, and the other was super loose.

Another question: I'm not track star, but I feel like I was leaning the bike pretty far over in some turns once I got the rhythm down, and my rear tire looked like I had scrubbed a good portion of it. However, my front tire still had a lot of untouched tread on either side of it. Is this normal for sumos, or am I just not leaning very far?

That's normal unless you reallllly get over. Even on the track where my rear tire was worn to the edge there was a strip left on the front. Also, I put a ziptie through my license plate in one of the holes to prevent any kind of total loss there. Looks ghetto but it works great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

buy a 5 gallon drum of loctite. This isn't me being "lol ktm", every time we rode something was either missing or loose when we got back.

JP Money posted:

That's normal unless you reallllly get over. Even on the track where my rear tire was worn to the edge there was a strip left on the front. Also, I put a ziptie through my license plate in one of the holes to prevent any kind of total loss there. Looks ghetto but it works great.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

buy a 5 gallon drum of loctite. This isn't me being "lol ktm", every time we rode something was either missing or loose when we got back.

Also, put locknuts on when possible (like on the license plate)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

^ Not bad advice at all. This reminds me I'm missing a bolt for my headlight shroud and one on my left tank shroud. I need to replace those.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The ziptie trick sounds like a great idea. I'll give that a try. I really don't want to have to deal with getting a new plate, registration and inspection sticker.

Thanks for the advice!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Indeed I did. Honestly it is probably my favorite bike of all time (so far, anyway!)

They shake horribly at idle... DO NOT leave your bike to warm up on any kind of slope. At all. It'll shake itself down the hill without fail. Hell, it'd move backwards 4" or so on completely flat pavement by the time I got my helmet and gloves on. I never really noticed excessive vibes at speed but they were still there. Overall the thing was so drat fun I never worried about it. The intake noise, the snappy fueling of a flatside carb, exhaust note (stock cans with pea shooters removed), handling, etc etc... It was definitely a more 'raw' feeling bike than my 690 could ever hope to be and I had a ton of fun with it.

They're dead simple to work on - normal maintenance wasn't bad (don't drink too many beers before your first oil change), valve adjustments were incredibly easy. The 625 honestly seemed like an upscaled dirtbike in how accessible everything was. But like a dirtbike KEEP THAT AIR FILTER MAINTAINED!

If you can get it for a good price GO FOR IT!!! They are incredibly fun bikes and unless you end up with something that's been horrifically abused it'll last you a good long time.

MetaJew posted:

Gel loctite is the best thing ever :)

Don't worry about having a little untouched tire on the front, especially on the street. Even running on the track (with track tire pressures) I always had a little ring of untouched rubber on my fronts. Even with the 625s amazing cornering clearance and the angular profile of many front tires won't let you hit the edge of the tire unless you're running SUPER low pressures. Hell even without fully scrubbing the front tire, one trackday I managed to not only ground out the footpeg (commonplace) I ground out the left footpeg BRACKET not too far where it attaches to the frame. Basically, don't worry about what your tires look like much and go ride the drat thing :)

velocross posted:

Needknees, post a ride report after you get settled in on those conti attacks. Everywhere I've read, and I think reelbiglizard mentioned it, was that they were really great but they just wear out quite quick.

I finally made time to get my wheels back on the bike and take it for a little ride today. Nothing major, just putting around getting a feel for the new tires and a little parking lot hoon session to get them scrubbed in. Initial impression - HOLY gently caress do these things turn in way harder than the OEM 690 tires or the contiforces I was so fond of on my 625. wow. You think about dropping the thing over for a corner and it's already there. It seems grip is not going to be an issue with these :getin:. Can't wait to give them a proper workout in Colorado next week!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Crashed my bike last week on the street...was able to pick it up and ride the rest of the way to work. After though I was surprised to note how much feel my brakes had. I quickly learn this was because the brake assembly had been bent up, putting pressure on the line, which led to smoking brakes. Fixed that, then noticed the forks were bent in the triples. So I fixed that today, but in shifting those around I must have caused the brake line to drop onto the rotor, which upon riding produced one destroyed brand new brake line.

My DRZ is having a bad week :(

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
I just crashed my CRF450x for the first time since tossing the supermoto kit on it. I had a couple of small kids give me a thumbs up, so I tried to show off by pulling a stoppy as I came up to the intersection. Unfortunately there was a bit of a dirt pile there and my front wheel washed right out from under me. Only thing I injured was some scraped up skin on my knee, ironic because literally an hour before the crash I ordered some new knee armor. The bike came out unscathed, of course.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Crashed my bike last week on the street...was able to pick it up and ride the rest of the way to work. After though I was surprised to note how much feel my brakes had. I quickly learn this was because the brake assembly had been bent up, putting pressure on the line, which led to smoking brakes. Fixed that, then noticed the forks were bent in the triples. So I fixed that today, but in shifting those around I must have caused the brake line to drop onto the rotor, which upon riding produced one destroyed brand new brake line.

My DRZ is having a bad week :(

This is a great time to buy stainless lines at least. I actually think I have the stock rubber line in my box of spares if you want it instead. I'd have to inspect it a bit to make sure it wasn't hosed up when the last guy took it off but I really doubt it was harmed. Not sure if it would fit in a flat rate box easily or not but if it does I wouldn't mind shipping it off for cost.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

JP Money posted:

This is a great time to buy stainless lines at least. I actually think I have the stock rubber line in my box of spares if you want it instead. I'd have to inspect it a bit to make sure it wasn't hosed up when the last guy took it off but I really doubt it was harmed. Not sure if it would fit in a flat rate box easily or not but if it does I wouldn't mind shipping it off for cost.

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm gonna get a stainless line...again. Yep, I had just had a Hel line put on about a week before :qqsay:

My mechanic says he's got a guy who does custom steel lines, so it's gonna be interesting to see how it goes.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Resource posted:

You moved to France and had to sell your motorcycles? I'm in the process of selling my bikes because I'm about to move to France as well. Did you buy a bike when you got to France? I'd love to hear anything you wish you had known about bikes and moving to France! :)

I moved to France because it was post-college and I wanted to live in another country. My girlfriend and I saved up money and quit our respective jobs to do the ~6 month stay. We went to a cheap language school so we could have Visas on the cheap and just learned and did as much as we could in those months. I was hoping I could extend my stay by finding a job but the area I was in (Montpellier) was absolute garbage for the kind of work I do (software engineer). Scenery was awesome, though, and it was very beneficial getting out of my comfort zone and moving somewhere where I had to learn not only the language but their culture and way of life. Moving to Paris wouldn't have been the same experience I don't think.

I didn't bother buying a motorcycle when I was there because I didn't have the budget for that kind of stuff. We kept it low-key and explored by bicycle.

Stuff I wish I knew:
- Buy some of the general cheap insurance everybody has by getting a French bank account that includes it. It covers most minor incidents, traffic or otherwise, and is useful if you're living there for longer than a month.

That's pretty much it. Was a great time. I'm not super American looking and learned an effective-enough accent that I didn't feel discriminated against or anything. Everybody was super polite to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Welp it was a good run buddy see ya later :(

Ended up selling my 2007 KTM 690 SM for $4,750 to a cool dude. I wanted to keep it but hey. When I do my big road trip in a couple years I'll probably get an adventure or a proper enduro and then sell it after the trip.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think the best part of riding is when you start buying bikes for a trip or because buying them involves a trip.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love motorcycles because they pretty much retain their value no matter how many miles you put on them. I paid $5,400 for mine (overpaid a bit, imo) but it has some cosmetic damage from being backed into and needs new tires front/rear and registration in a couple months so I let it go for $4,750.

In a couple years I'll have a nice chunk of change and no job and enough money to drop on a nice enduro type bike and do a couple month trip around the West Coast, whole US, or maybe even do that popular trip down to South America and ship my bike back home or ship it there and go back. I'd be worried about it getting stolen though. I don't have any obligations like rent as I can just store my stuff at my parents house when I get out of the Military.

In the end I'll probably be able to sell it for what I paid, heh.

What's the go-to road trip bike anyways? KTM Adventure? The 2007 690 was pretty ideal I thought since it was a very smooth ride compared to the 2008+

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Christoff posted:

What's the go-to road trip bike anyways? KTM Adventure? The 2007 690 was pretty ideal I thought since it was a very smooth ride compared to the 2008+

IIRC, the Adventure is what Jesus would ride offroad, but the BMW R1200GS is more pavement friendly. For my money, I'll be shopping for a KTM soon probably.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Even in 2-3 years a 2008+ SMC will still cost $7-8k :(

I wouldn't do much off-road though maybe I'll just get an 08+ SMC but I heard those are pretty rough on long rides. My buddy said h'd never go over an hour. I'm a KTM fanboy though and BMWs are so expensive. Although so are KTMs...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Your buddy is a pussy.

I suspect SMC prices will drop once the new one hits stateside (hopefully), and they all get 10k miles on them and the median price drops.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I found my 08 pretty smooth. Spiff did an 850 mile day on it, my longest was a 750 mile day. Of course, a lot of smoothness is down to tuning on any KTM.

690 prices will go down as people put miles on them. A couple of friends have bought them for mid 5s. They're out there, just gotta look.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3867570488.html this has been on Craigslist for the last six months. I wonder how badly hosed up it is that he can't even sell it for 6500. I mean really...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The only 08+ I've seen under 6 had body damage and or 20k+ miles

Think you could do a long road trip on one?

^ 20k miles and still $6,500 lol. Not that mileage matters on the lc4

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3867570488.html this has been on Craigslist for the last six months. I wonder how badly hosed up it is that he can't even sell it for 6500. I mean really...

Nah it's that it's got 20k on it. That bike is worth around 4.5-5k. Maybe 5.5 with the offroad wheels. I sold mine with 12k and the KTM bicolor wheels for 5.8, iirc. Maybe 5.5? Don't remember.

I did Seattle to Santa Barbara in 3 days, could have easily done it in 2, just stopped in SF to test ride an early electric bike. I did it in 2 on a DRZ.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone have chain and sprocket recommendations for a DRZ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

Anyone have chain and sprocket recommendations for a DRZ?

Metal, definitely.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Metal, definitely.

I see a lot of guys running metal, but wouldn't plastic be easier to replace if I go down? Not real sure here, just thinking out loud.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Metal, definitely.

I like to run Bronze sprockets and a Tin-link chain. 8 minutes of bling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Carbon ceramic chains and sprockets give you less rotating mass and less latent heat buildup.

• Locked thread