Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Can the Windows version of Handbrake still not convert copy-protected DVDs? I haven't used it in years, so maybe that's not a thing anymore, but I remember it being an issue before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Almost nothing has DVD decryption built in since it's against the DMCA and you can get in big problems for including it in your software.

There are a handful of software packages that will decrypt DVDs on the fly however, allowing you to use them with handbrake. DVD43 is pretty popular.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've been using handbrake for the last few YEARS and yeah, it's still the most reliable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My jailbroken ATV2 appears to be totally unresponsive and I have no idea why. I used it for the first time in a week, and the remote didn't seem to do anything despite me being able to see the unit light flash, so I rebooted. I have to tethered boot, so I held down menu+power for 7 seconds, got it to reboot, still nothing responsive. SSHed in , did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, rebooted again. Spent 20 minutes trying to get seas0npass to see the stupid thing, finally back in, still no remote response. Any ideas? The remote clearly works since I'm using it every tethered boot.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Apple TV3 - is there a way to watch Live youtube streams? I want to watch the UFC preliminary fights and can't find a way to plug in the address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SipiOmC8No0

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

My jailbroken ATV2 appears to be totally unresponsive and I have no idea why. I used it for the first time in a week, and the remote didn't seem to do anything despite me being able to see the unit light flash, so I rebooted. I have to tethered boot, so I held down menu+power for 7 seconds, got it to reboot, still nothing responsive. SSHed in , did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, rebooted again. Spent 20 minutes trying to get seas0npass to see the stupid thing, finally back in, still no remote response. Any ideas? The remote clearly works since I'm using it every tethered boot.

I had this same issue but I can't remember how I solved it. I think maybe un-pairing and re-pairing the remote might have done it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Don Tacorleone posted:

Apple TV3 - is there a way to watch Live youtube streams? I want to watch the UFC preliminary fights and can't find a way to plug in the address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SipiOmC8No0

On your computer, log in with your Google account and add the link as a favorite. On the ATV, log in with your Google account on the Youtube app. It should show up as a favorite.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mastershakeman posted:

When I had this problem I connected my ATV2 to my computer via USB, wiped it clean in iTunes, and updated to the latest fw.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Re-pairing it seemed to work, but the itunes solution is nice. Thanks.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I have an old ATV2 I gave to my parents thats jailbroken on some 2 year old firmware, I haven't kept up with the stuff since but is the latest firmware jailbreakable or is there a way to update it to one that is?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Prospective cord-cutter here, and I'm considering picking up an Apple TV since iTunes seems to have the best prices for the shows I watch. I currently have one of the WDTV Live boxes, but if the ATV will handle everything I use the WDTV for that'd be awesome. I've got some noob questions so I can make sure I understand correctly how the ATV would fit in with the rest of my entertainment center/home network.

1) The ATV3 can't connect directly to a network share on my NAS like my WDTV does and browse/play files that way, so I'd have to add everything to my iTunes library and stream it through one of my computers that way, right?

2) My video library consists primarily of two types of files. DVD sourced content that's just the raw MPEG2 stream in an MKV container, or BD sourced content encoded in H.264 with Handbrake in an MKV container. I know I'll have to 'convert' it all to a container format the ATV can understand, but the H.264 stuff should be fine as long as the accompanying audio is in a compatible format, right? (I.e., I'd only have to re-encode the MPEG2 stuff (and possibly audio on the H.264) instead of everything)

3) I'm not quite sure I understand the AirPlay/mirroring stuff. My mac mini doesn't support QuickSync, so I wouldn't be able to do mirroring from there (without AirParrot, anyway) but I would be able to do it off my iPad 2? And I'd still be able to use regular AirPlay from my mini to play audio to the AppleTV? Is that right?

4) All of Apple's docs I can find about AirPlay/mirroring talk about the same 'wireless' network. Do all the devices really have to be wireless, or do they just have to be on the same logical/physical network?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

chizad posted:

Prospective cord-cutter here, and I'm considering picking up an Apple TV since iTunes seems to have the best prices for the shows I watch. I currently have one of the WDTV Live boxes, but if the ATV will handle everything I use the WDTV for that'd be awesome. I've got some noob questions so I can make sure I understand correctly how the ATV would fit in with the rest of my entertainment center/home network.

1) The ATV3 can't connect directly to a network share on my NAS like my WDTV does and browse/play files that way, so I'd have to add everything to my iTunes library and stream it through one of my computers that way, right?

2) My video library consists primarily of two types of files. DVD sourced content that's just the raw MPEG2 stream in an MKV container, or BD sourced content encoded in H.264 with Handbrake in an MKV container. I know I'll have to 'convert' it all to a container format the ATV can understand, but the H.264 stuff should be fine as long as the accompanying audio is in a compatible format, right? (I.e., I'd only have to re-encode the MPEG2 stuff (and possibly audio on the H.264) instead of everything)

3) I'm not quite sure I understand the AirPlay/mirroring stuff. My mac mini doesn't support QuickSync, so I wouldn't be able to do mirroring from there (without AirParrot, anyway) but I would be able to do it off my iPad 2? And I'd still be able to use regular AirPlay from my mini to play audio to the AppleTV? Is that right?

4) All of Apple's docs I can find about AirPlay/mirroring talk about the same 'wireless' network. Do all the devices really have to be wireless, or do they just have to be on the same logical/physical network?

#1 and #2: I would highly recommend Plex and PlexConnect. Then you don't have iTunes bloat and Plex can handle mkv's like a boss.

#3: You can airplay from your iPad 2. I believe everything else you said would be correct.

#4: Yes, they have to be on the same network - they don't have to be wireless as long as they are on the same network / on a subnet that can talk to each other, etc.

Packstand
Sep 22, 2012
So did this just atrociously not live up to the hype or what?

I've only really heard bad things to be honest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Packstand posted:

What are you even referring to here?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Packstand posted:

Nope, Apple TV is great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a second generation one that's 4 or 5 years old now I think, and it just keeps getting better. Having WatchESPN and HBO on it is awesome.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Right. I use my AppleTV almost exclusively for watching any sort of video content now - I rarely use the over-the-air TV part of my TV now. Even moreso recently since I got a new Mac that can use AirPlay - I can now watch any content on the AppleTV that I can view in a browser really simply.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

And unless he's confusing this with the still non-existent Apple TV set, this thing has never really been hyped. If anything I think Apple has undersold it.

geera
May 20, 2003
Adding Plex and PlexConnect to my setup fixed one of only two issues that I had left with my AppleTV (playing all my local media). The other issue is no Amazon video, but I'm not holding my breath there. Otherwise it's great. If Apple ever opens it up to developers creating apps for it, it would be incredible.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Diabolik900 posted:

And unless he's confusing this with the still non-existent Apple TV set, this thing has never really been hyped. If anything I think Apple has undersold it.

Maybe he was asking about PlexConnect? I'm really not sure, the post wasn't very clear...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah definitely Apple TV is probably their most under-rated product. It might be limited in functionality compared to something like XBMC. Set it up 'The Apple Way' and it's amazing and simple to use.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah definitely Apple TV is probably their most under-rated product. It might be limited in functionality compared to something like XBMC. Set it up 'The Apple Way' and it's amazing and simple to use.

I agree with this. If they would add Amazon on it (or even just had the iPhone/iPad Amazon app support AirPlay, not sure if Amazon or Apple is the holdup there) it would be perfect.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

I agree with this. If they would add Amazon on it (or even just had the iPhone/iPad Amazon app support AirPlay, not sure if Amazon or Apple is the holdup there) it would be perfect.

Just like what kept Hulu on the sidelines for so long: disputes over Apple getting a cut of Amazon's membership fees.

Edit: and also being a competitor in the video marketplace (as opposed to Netflix/Hulu which are subscription-based video providers).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 10, 2013

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Is anyone else not updating their ATV3? Mine bugs me for an update a couple times a day and AFAIK there's no setting to disable that. I really like PlexConnect but everything I know about jailbreaking my phone tells me not to update this thing ever.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I thought the PlexConnect hack involved messing with your router settings, not so much the AppleTV itself?

Wouldn't any update Apple applied not affect it?

Edit: plus the latest update adds HBOGo and Watch ESPN (for those who have access to those, it's really sweet).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I thought the PlexConnect hack involved messing with your router settings, not so much the AppleTV itself?

Wouldn't any update Apple applied not affect it?

Edit: plus the latest update adds HBOGo and Watch ESPN (for those who have access to those, it's really sweet).

You edit the settings on the apple TV so that when it tries to call Apple's servers it connects to the server running on your computer. As long as they don't change the way that their trailers app calls back to get content, it will continue to work. How it's done right now would require a fundamental change on their backend, so it's probably safe for a while- but who knows.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

frogg posted:

Is anyone else not updating their ATV3? Mine bugs me for an update a couple times a day and AFAIK there's no setting to disable that. I really like PlexConnect but everything I know about jailbreaking my phone tells me not to update this thing ever.

I updated mine to current and did not lose the PlexConnect capability. It's a DNS hack outside of the ATV so it would be very difficult to fix.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Shmoogy posted:

You edit the settings on the apple TV so that when it tries to call Apple's servers it connects to the server running on your computer. As long as they don't change the way that their trailers app calls back to get content, it will continue to work. How it's done right now would require a fundamental change on their backend, so it's probably safe for a while- but who knows.

Not really fundamental, pretty much all they'd need to do is require that AppleTVs connect to trailers.apple.com over https instead of http. Using plexconnect is effectively man-in-the-middle 'attacking' your appleTV, and https stops that (well... that's a simplification but it's good enough for this).
So yes, you absolutely need to worry about updates to the AppleTV hitting plexconnect.

It may well not be worth it to them, though. SSL has a non-zero (not high, but non-zero) cost, and plexconnect usage is probably a rounding error to Apple.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dazjw posted:

Not really fundamental, pretty much all they'd need to do is require that AppleTVs connect to trailers.apple.com over https instead of http. Using plexconnect is effectively man-in-the-middle 'attacking' your appleTV, and https stops that (well... that's a simplification but it's good enough for this).
So yes, you absolutely need to worry about updates to the AppleTV hitting plexconnect.

It may well not be worth it to them, though. SSL has a non-zero (not high, but non-zero) cost, and plexconnect usage is probably a rounding error to Apple.

Is there a cost beyond simply purchasing the certificate? If not, it could only be a cost of a few hundred bucks a year for Apple.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The far greater cost to Apple versus certs and allocation of IP addresses / etc is going to be the cost of rolling an update like that out. Programming time to update how Trailers behaves, as well as a way to make it roll over gracefully for at least some amount of time since there's no shortage of non-updated ATVs out there.

It'd still be nearly trivial to Apple's resources, but the question is whether or not they actually view it as an issue.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
To be fair, I'd imagine literally 1% of the aTV population does this anyways.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Has anyone installed the EmulatorsPlugin on a jailbroken ATV2 yet?

I'm reading the documentation for how to install it here but I'm not seeing any folder called
code:
~/Users/frontrow
as the how-to would have me believe. The closest my filesystem has is
code:
~/User
. If I try log in with the suggested username/password of "frontrow", it does not log in.

I'm also seeing the line "Supports ATV 2.4!" a lot with regards to this plugin but I'm not sure what that means if the firmware I'm currently using is "5.2 (6010.96)"

EDIT: ALSO, can someone explain to me what the latest and greatest version of NitoTV is? I'm confused about NitoTV vs NitoTV Take 2.

EDIT: Now after installing NitoTV, my ATV boots into a black screen... poo poo. If I restore, it's going to put 5.3 on my device and that's a tethered jailbreak. That's going to be super loving annoying given how crash happy XBMC Eden is on the ATV right now...

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 12, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The EmulatorsPlugin you're trying to use is for an ATV1, running at least software version 2.4, that's why it isn't working on your ATV2. It's for an OSX derivative, not an iOS one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So that whole unjailbroken Plex connect hack has been working amazing for me since its discovery.

I watched something an hour ago and now it won't connect. It just spins "accessing trailers" and then fails after about 3 min.

I've rebooted both Plex media server and my ATV3. No dice.

I just even tried to launch Hulu Plus and it took like 5 min of "Accessing Hulu Us" but did eventually (slowly) load.

Any ideas?

My Internet is fine, from what I can see.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

So that whole unjailbroken Plex connect hack has been working amazing for me since its discovery.

I watched something an hour ago and now it won't connect. It just spins "accessing trailers" and then fails after about 3 min.

I've rebooted both Plex media server and my ATV3. No dice.

I just even tried to launch Hulu Plus and it took like 5 min of "Accessing Hulu Us" but did eventually (slowly) load.

Any ideas?

My Internet is fine, from what I can see.

DId you reboot the python script?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No, because I'm clearly an idiot. I'll go try that now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I killed all the Python junk in Activity Monitor and then re-ran the script and I get an error in Terminal about address already in use at port 53 or some poo poo... No loving idea. Worked fine an hour ago. :(

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If the port is staying in use, there's still some other process running. Easiest solution is to reboot if you can't find the offending process.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Got everything set up nice with my ATV3. Was just wondering if anyone had any pointers on getting my movies to not buffer so much and not take forever when skipping through movies.

I suppose I am spoiled by XMBC since it is merely pulling the movie over the network and Plex is converting it outright, but it's making movies a bit of a pain (I know :qq: ).

I changed the settings to do 720p instead of 1080p which I feel like should have helped a bit. Everything is using hardwired cat 6e cabling and the server is a Dual Core Athlon 64 @ 2.8ghz with 5GB of RAM which while I am sure is laughable, should be able to handle this type of thing, no?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So happy I bought this thing now; though I suppose if I am going to insist it use 720p for buffering issues I could have just bought an ATV2 and installed XBMC on it. :saddowns:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Are you streaming movies through iTunes or through some other method?

• Locked thread