Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Dietrich posted:

That website confuses and scares me.

Looks fine to me. He capitalized VMware correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

seiken posted:

LoseThos is now TempleOS and has an incredible video on the front page.

Incredible is a charitable word to use for this.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dren posted:

Incredible is a charitable word to use for this.
I don't know, 13 minutes of video later i'm still trying to grasp its existence. Seems pretty spot on to me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It's spot on but still charitable. There are much worse words that could have been used.

Upon further inspection this has been revealed:
code:
/*
  An CDate is a signed 64-bit date/time num
  representing how many 49710ths of a second
  since Christ.  The reason it is this crazy
  num is so that 32bits is exactly one day.

These nums can be subtracted to get time
  differences.

The time of day to the nearest 49710ths of a second
  is stored in the lower 32-bits.  The upper
  32-bits hold the num of days since Christ.

PrintF() and the file datetimes use
  this format, otherwise you might want to
  use GetTimeStamp() for a higher frequency
  timing, divide by time_stamp_freq,
  but this num is tied to your CPU's
  clock frequency which is inexact when
  converted to real-time.
*/

CDate cdt=GetCurTimeDate;

I64 i;
for (i=0;i<DF_NUM;i++)
  "%%h%dD: %h*D\n",i,i,cdt;
NewLine;

for (i=0;i<TF_NUM;i++)
  "%%h%dT: %h*T\n",i,i,cdt;

"$FG,PURPLE$CDate freq:%12.6f$FG$\n",0x100000000/24.0/60.0/60.0;

/*
  You can customize to your locality
  with date_fmt_map[] and time_fmt_map[].
  DateTimeFmtMapsRst() will rst
  them.
*/

//Example of how to use with DF_NUM, TF_NUM #define's
"%h*D\n",DF_MM_DD_YYYY,cdt;
"%h*T\n",TF_HH24_MM,cdt;
http://www.templeos.org/Wb/Demo/DateTime.html#l1

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

seiken posted:

His HN post history is pretty great too, although you'll need to be logged in and have showdead turned on to see it because he's obviously been hellbanned over there.

https://news.ycombinator.com/threads?id=losethos

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This is absolutely phenomenal. That source code is bananas.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

seiken posted:

Truly a greater gift from an enlightened individual.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Terry Davis seems to pop up everywhere these days. The guy shouldn't be mocked, since it is clear that he has severe mental health issues (I have read schizophrenia), and from the conversations I see him have in between the spam are awkward and disjointed affairs. But he seems to know a lot, and is clear about what TempleOS is supposed to be, which is, in his own words, like a 64-bit C64 OS. It's a remarkable achievement, really, more like a work of outsider art a la Platform Masters than anything that has any real practical application.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Reformed Pissboy posted:

That source code is bananas.
Virtually indistinguishable from the actual fruit except for this important detail:

quote:

cannot be compiled outside TempleOS because it's Holy C

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dren posted:

It's spot on but still charitable. There are much worse words that could have been used.

Upon further inspection this has been revealed:
code:
  An CDate is a signed 64-bit date/time num
  representing how many 49710ths of a second
  since Christ.  The reason it is this crazy
  num is so that 32bits is exactly one day.

These nums can be subtracted to get time
  differences.

The time of day to the nearest 49710ths of a second
  is stored in the lower 32-bits.  The upper
  32-bits hold the num of days since Christ.
http://www.templeos.org/Wb/Demo/DateTime.html#l1

That sounds pretty clever to me. Am I the horror? :ohdear:

Actually, I guess that's how Ticketmaster does it according to the mentally ill guy. I bet he fit right in there.

Edit: oh gently caress I think that he thinks that a 'random' word picker he wrote in his OS is god talking to him. Poor guy :\

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 3, 2013

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

That sounds pretty clever to me. Am I the horror? :ohdear:

It's not a terrible idea, except (1) there aren't actually a fixed number of seconds in a calendar day unless he rejects leap-seconds as heretical, even assuming this is intended as a universal coordinate and therefore not subject to things like DST, and (2) this does prioritize computing days over computing hours, minutes, and seconds, which is a valid engineering choice if it's, you know, justified by something.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
leap seconds are heretical :colbert:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
leap smear all day, every day*

*only valid on Jun 30 or Dec 31

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

seiken posted:

Wasn't it SparrowOS for a while?

I've had good ol' Terry A. Davis end up on my blog once or twice, posting crazy comments. I kinda feel sorry for him, but drat. No idea how people should deal with this guy.

spitefulcrow
Jun 16, 2013
I used to work at a relatively (9 years) old web startup. They started development (in Python) just as the renaissance of non-CGI applications was starting and therefore invented just about every wheel it's possible for a web stack to invent. I'll have to dredge up some of the better bits from deep storage, but here's a gem from a test that I can remember (names obfuscated to protect the not-so-innocent):

code:
def test_no_underage_signups(self):
    # this test will fail on February 29, if 13 years ago wasn't also a leap year
    bday = datetime.date(year=today.year-13, month=today.month, day=today.day)
The comment just kills me.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

spitefulcrow posted:

I used to work at a relatively (9 years) old web startup. They started development (in Python) just as the renaissance of non-CGI applications was starting and therefore invented just about every wheel it's possible for a web stack to invent. I'll have to dredge up some of the better bits from deep storage, but here's a gem from a test that I can remember (names obfuscated to protect the not-so-innocent):

code:
def test_no_underage_signups(self):
    # this test will fail on February 29, if 13 years ago wasn't also a leap year
    bday = datetime.date(year=today.year-13, month=today.month, day=today.day)
The comment just kills me.

Of course, the horror there is not treating the date as an external dependency and mocking it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

A large number of people run wordpress on bad shared hosts that don't give ssh access.

On one hand, I suppose that would rule out ssh. On the other, that sounds like all the more reason why www-data should not be allowed to write to your WordPress directory.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I lolled http://tobtu.com/decryptocat.php

Molrok
May 30, 2011

This is from a CMS/Webshop I have to maintain, coded entirely by single person with no formal CS education over the past four years. This is supposed to list and report sales data for certain product groups in desired date range and sum up the QTY for each product sold.

PHP code:
$query = "SELECT * FROM butt WHERE group_id IN (1,2,3)";
$data = db_query_fetch_assocs($query);

foreach($data as $row)
{		
	$time = explode(' ',$row['addit_info']);

if(!empty($start_time) && !empty($end_time)){
		if(strlen($time[1]) > 10)
		{
			$time[1] = substr($time[1],0,9);
		}

if((strtotime($time[1]) >= strtotime($start_time)) && (strtotime($time[1]) <= strtotime($end_time))){
			$names[$row['product_id']] = $row['name'];
			$qty = $row['quantity'];
			$prod_counter[$row['product_id']] = $prod_counter[$row['product_id']]+$qty;
		}
		else {}
	}
}

foreach($names as $id=>$name)
{
	foreach($prod_counter as $p_id=>$count)
		if($id == $p_id)
		{
			$output .= "<tr><td>$name</td><td>$count</td></tr>";
		}
}
'addit_info' is TEXT and can contain anything depending on the product type. The addit_info data is also raw plaintext, no JSON, no serialized arrays. Each date is stored like 'expirationdate: dd.mm.yyyy' but some product types screw up with the date format and lack leading zeroes, which screws up the report as it would skip days in d.m.yyyy format.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

If this guy knows so much about cryptography why doesn't he put his talents towards something positive, like, say, creating his own cyptocat that does cryptography correctly? Why waste so much time doing something so non constructive?

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

If this guy knows so much about cryptography why doesn't he put his talents towards something positive, like, say, creating his own cyptocat that does cryptography correctly? Why waste so much time doing something so non constructive?

Exposing the flaws of a well-publicized "cryptosystem" so that people know to avoid relying on it seems constructive to me.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I wouldn't put it that way. I'd say that identifying dumb people so that we can discriminate against them is constructive.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

floWenoL posted:

Exposing the flaws of a well-publicized "cryptosystem" so that people know to avoid relying on it seems constructive to me.

If he had said, "use this other system instead, it is better than cryptocat", then his message would have been constructive. But instead, he's just saying "cryptocat sucks dont use it", thats not constructive.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

If he had said, "use this other system instead, it is better than cryptocat", then his message would have been constructive. But instead, he's just saying "cryptocat sucks dont use it", thats not constructive.

It doesn't really matter whether it's "constructive", if you're using/thinking of using it it's pretty bloody useful to know that none of the guarantees the software claims to provide actually hold - possibly lifesaving, in fact. If someone was running through a burning building yelling at people to get out, would you berate them for not being "constructive" because they aren't suggesting a different building?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

People who use cryptocat presumably want to be able to chat in a cryptographically secure way, without the possibility of third parties reading their messages.
Old versions of cryptocat promise to do this, yet fails in upholding its promise. If you use an old version of cryptocat your messages can feasibly be read by a third party.

Letting people know this is important.

The way he conveys it is constructive, as he specifically highlights the problematic points he found and explains why they are problematic. It's not like he said "Hey everyone, cryptocat is insecure and it sucks so don't use it!" without further explanation.

npe
Oct 15, 2004

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

It absolutely is constructive. The threat of public embarrassment about your product being broken creates an incentive towards quality, which benefits everyone who uses software.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Eruonen posted:

People who use cryptocat presumably want to be able to chat in a cryptographically secure way, without the possibility of third parties reading their messages.
Old versions of cryptocat promise to do this, yet fails in upholding its promise. If you use an old version of cryptocat your messages can feasibly be read by a third party.

Letting people know this is important.

The way he conveys it is constructive, as he specifically highlights the problematic points he found and explains why they are problematic. It's not like he said "Hey everyone, cryptocat is insecure and it sucks so don't use it!" without further explanation.

If this guy is as smart about crypography as he makes himself out to be with his tone in the article, they why is he spending his time writing blog posts? Why should I trust this guy's assessment at all? Maybe if he had an alternative that other experts can either agree is done right, then I'll listen to him. Otherwise its just blogspam.

Crypography is the kind of thing where if you understand the concepts, building a cryptocat site is trivial. If you don't understand the concepts, then cryptography is hard.

Just writing a blogpost saying "the devs of cryptocat are idiots that don't understand anything about crypography dont use it". OK... gee thanks for the tip random internet stranger. It just kinda reeks of monday morning quarterbacking to me...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Would you accept "Don't use a loving browser based chat client if you want secure comms" for an answer?

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

If this guy is as smart about crypography as he makes himself out to be with his tone in the article, they why is he spending his time writing blog posts? Why should I trust this guy's assessment at all? Maybe if he had an alternative that other experts can either agree is done right, then I'll listen to him. Otherwise its just blogspam.

Crypography is the kind of thing where if you understand the concepts, building a cryptocat site is trivial. If you don't understand the concepts, then cryptography is hard.

Just writing a blogpost saying "the devs of cryptocat are idiots that don't understand anything about crypography dont use it". OK... gee thanks for the tip random internet stranger. It just kinda reeks of monday morning quarterbacking to me...

It's you. You're the coding horror.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Welcome back how!! :)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Welcome back how!!

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Yea how dare he disclose security vulnerabilities instead of just replacing it outright.

?????

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

If this guy is as smart about crypography as he makes himself out to be with his tone in the article, they why is he spending his time writing blog posts?

Why wouldn't he spend some time to write blog posts?

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Why should I trust this guy's assessment at all?

It is obvious that this guy's assessment is right to anybody who can understand what he's saying, or (in some parts of the assessment) to anybody with a basic understanding of programming. [1]

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Maybe if he had an alternative that other experts can either agree is done right, then I'll listen to him. Otherwise its just blogspam.

No, Blogspam is the reposting and linking, and summarization of other people's blogposts.

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

That's not true. It's hard either way.

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

They don't just not understand cryptography. They also don't understand programming.

(This is generally what happens when web programmers try to do something outside their domain (or inside).)

[1] Or to anybody with basic reading comprehension. If you can't evaluate this person's expertise in this subject by the way he writes about it, that might explain how you're incapable of recognizing how your own writing reveals your lack of expertise.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Why should I trust this guy's assessment at all? Maybe if he had an alternative that other experts can either agree is done right, then I'll listen to him.
His post does contain an opinion ("CryptoCat sucks"), but it's backed by facts and verifiable statements that enable other experts to agree with his assessment or refute it.

The presentation of these not-previously-known facts and the originality of the investigation alone make his post constructive. It's not, not constructive just because it may offend some folks.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Zombywuf posted:

Would you accept "Don't use a loving browser based chat client if you want secure comms" for an answer?

You're telling me its impossible to create a completely cryptographically secure communication application in the browser? Thats an interesting claim.

What is it about browser based applications that makes them impossible to achieve security?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
The developers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

You're telling me its impossible to create a completely cryptographically secure communication application in the browser? Thats an interesting claim.

What is it about browser based applications that makes them impossible to achieve security?

JavaScript, the language used for the web, does not have native support for "big numbers", making it hard and error-prone to do crypto.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

When I show people projects like my VM I often wonder if I come across like the LoseThos guy. :smith:
Writing a VM and tooling for it comes across as "large hobby project".

Thinking the RNG in your OS is God speaking to you comes across as crazy.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

http://www.matasano.com/articles/javascript-cryptography/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Hey, these are the jerks who had an "email us and we'll give you some cool crypto problems to solve", and I did and they never wrote back so I wrote again and they still never wrote back so now I'm sad.