Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Respekt
Aug 8, 2007
la la la
Does anyone have experience with bar rot (Paronychia) ? It's been eating at my middle finger for weeks now, it just keeps cracking. I have tried aloe, carmex, wearing gloves but it isn't showing signs of healing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rorty
Oct 13, 2010

Choom Gangster posted:

You have two choice when making a drink that mimics the flavors found in another product: fake everything and alienate the identity of the cocktail for the sake of it's inspiration, or make a properly balanced cocktail that is an homage the flavors that inspire it. I'd suggest the latter. Oh, and it's a cocktail, not a Martini.

Like it was said but ignored before, if you want egg and nutty flavors, use Amontillado sherry, or if you want something a little sweeter use Pale Cream. Don't use triple sec for a concentrated orange flavor, it has other citrus in it. Use a curacao or better yet an amer l'orange, like Picon, or Torani. Use Guatemalan rum for the vanilla, something like Zacapa or Zaya (though technically now made in Trinidad). Orgeat will give you extra nut flavor as well and is actually tastes of almonds not apricot cookies as amaretto does.

Hopefully that helps and doesn't come off as condescending.

I know it's a crime to call it a Martini but it was just the name we were kicking around while we thought up something better. Manager is leaning towards the Martini name because he thinks we'll sell more of them. We're all new hires (manager to barbacks) and I think everybody is keen to get stuff moving as quickly as possible and once it's rolling we can start chasing a high end cocktail clientele, but at the moment it's totally unproven in the city and we want to build up to it.

It's a bar attached to a tapas joint so I'm campaigning to have them stock Teichenné Crema de Naranja instead of using a triple sec, but I'm kind of limited for previously mentioned reasons. We're working up to it.

Not condescending at all, I'm enthusiastic but not experienced enough to talk with detail about that many spirits so anything that sets me off researching is appreciated.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I've got to bite my tongue every time someone asks me where's your martini list? Why don't I see any on your menu? Well, my gins are on this page, and my vodkas are on the opposite page, do you really need to see a list with your options after that? Oh wait, you're not talking about Martinis at all, you want something like a Cosmo or a lemon drop...

It's best to just shut up and leave the semantics lecture alone, and yeah your boss is right because you probably will sell more if you put 'martini' in the name even if it isn't one because most people aren't sperging bartenders and don't know/give a poo poo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nrr posted:

I've got to bite my tongue every time someone asks me where's your martini list? Why don't I see any on your menu? Well, my gins are on this page, and my vodkas are on the opposite page, do you really need to see a list with your options after that? Oh wait, you're not talking about Martinis at all, you want something like a Cosmo or a lemon drop...

It's best to just shut up and leave the semantics lecture alone, and yeah your boss is right because you probably will sell more if you put 'martini' in the name even if it isn't one because most people aren't sperging bartenders and don't know/give a poo poo

Mojitos are getting this same treatment and it infuriates me. You put mint in the drink, that does not make it a mojito. Things have names for a reason, damnit!

I tried the "gin mojito" at a restaurant this weekend, and I'll admit it was a pretty tasty drink, but it's not a mojito.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

PT6A posted:

Mojitos are getting this same treatment and it infuriates me. You put mint in the drink, that does not make it a mojito. Things have names for a reason, damnit!

I tried the "gin mojito" at a restaurant this weekend, and I'll admit it was a pretty tasty drink, but it's not a mojito.

This has made me have a thought: are there juleps besides mint juleps? If so, what?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Look what you made me order online thread. Just look at it.

First impression: Wow, England has lovely trailerpark style baked good as well

"McVITIE'S JAFFA CAKES: / THE ORIGINAL BLEND / OF DARK CRACKLY / CHOCOLATE, LIGHT SPONGE / & THE SMASHING / ORANGEY BIT"

Why you gotta turn adjectives in adverbs England -- why you leavin' out nouns

raton fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Sheep-Goats posted:

"McVITIE'S JAFFA CAKES: / THE ORIGINAL BLEND / OF DARK CRACKLY / CHOCOLATE, LIGHT SPONGE / & THE SMASHING / ORANGEY BIT"

Take that back. The Jaffa cake is not only a cultural icon, but forms an important part of British Tax Law.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vfoodmanual/vfood6260.htm

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The supermarket own-brands ones are nearly all better than the McVities ones to be fair.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So do any of you bartenders out there have any feelings about the rather narrow beer selection that appears in most North American pubs and bars? Beginning a few years ago a couple new bars opened up in downtown Calgary, of the 'German Beer' and '100 Beers on Tap' variety. Which has been amazing, but now that I've absolutely fallen in love with wheat beers, hefeweizens, and the like, I find myself growing increasingly disgruntled about my inability to find even one of the type in the average North American suburban bar. Even in the places downtown, they're still something of a niche.

My go to choice would be a Konig Ludwig, but I'd happily settled for an Erdinger. Even Kronenbourg Blanc on tap would be great really. But in the mean time I shall settle for a Rickard's White (which is actually Blue Moon outside of Canada I guess?), though it's a poor substitute.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair the occasional American style 80 taps in one place, all micros from hither and tither type place pretty much only exists here as well. I do wish that when I walked into Some Generic Bar that has four taps they weren't Cheapest Domestic Lager A, Cheapest Domestic Lager B, Bluemoon, Guiness 80% of the time.

e: A Black and Blue is fine with me though, I'm not really that picky.

ee: My favorite microbrew in the US is the Beltian White made by the Belt Brewing Company in Belt, Montana (pop. 597). You can find it in cans (!) and bottles in Western Montana, Idaho, and Spokane. Maybe elsewhere now. On draft here and there in Montana.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 4, 2013

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah as a foreigner I'm really jealous of the US beer culture so I can't sympathise too much, but on the other hand, in oz the bigger chain pubs usually make some kind of effort, presumably due to tap licensing with Carlton United, who bought out a few reasonable quality microbrews (and started mass producing them admittedly, but a lot of them have retained quality to some extent)

So I can walk into one of the big *name of suburb* hotel places and get a dogbolter, or an erdinger, or if I'm lucky, coopers vintage.

The smaller divey bars I prefer to frequent are still pretty much what you describe though, so its not really that different

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Beer nerd/homebrewer rant incoming: It kind of depends on where you are as to what you can expect out of a beer selection. In Vancouver, which for some years now has been one of the big craft brew cities on the west coast (besides Seattle/Portland/or others in WA and OR), I'm fairly disapointed if I go to a local alcohol primary and don't see a good local IPA on tap. My current 2 joints serve over 90% local craft in bottles/draught and I don't consider either to be beer-centric venues. I guess it can be hard to avoid the siren song of brand loyalty to Bud or Molson or Labatt or whatever, but even if you alienate the folks who want that crap you could still get a much better crowd.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's true, I do have fond memories of beer availability during my trip to Seattle. From what I hear the Pacific Northwest + Vancouver is undergoing something of a beer renaissance at the moment. Colour me jealous.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

Beer nerd/homebrewer rant incoming: It kind of depends on where you are as to what you can expect out of a beer selection. In Vancouver, which for some years now has been one of the big craft brew cities on the west coast (besides Seattle/Portland/or others in WA and OR), I'm fairly disapointed if I go to a local alcohol primary and don't see a good local IPA on tap. My current 2 joints serve over 90% local craft in bottles/draught and I don't consider either to be beer-centric venues. I guess it can be hard to avoid the siren song of brand loyalty to Bud or Molson or Labatt or whatever, but even if you alienate the folks who want that crap you could still get a much better crowd.

I hate (most) IPAs but I will warn you that telling people in NYC that the beer is way better out west (unless you're awfully diplomatic) gets them kinda ruffled. It's probably worse in NYC than in most places but people on the East Coast sometimes refuse to believe they have the absolute best of everything. There are three major microbrew bars in NYC (Blind Tiger, Ginger Man, Pony Bar) and while they do have good beers they almost never have the decadent porters or stouts that are so abundant out west and their wheat beers lack that frothy body and whipped-cream thick head that I get such a huge hardon for (not that every wheat beer needs that, but I like it in the ones that do).

The North Western US can go toe to toe with Germany now if you start pulling mircrobrews out of their cubbies, the East Coast, eh...

Also on your last sentence I just want to mention that for most people beer is an acquired taste. We forget this all the time once we're used to it, but the first time you had a beer (or tried to feed one to a girl) you probably vaguely remember not liking it. Those domestic lagers are cheap and really flavorless / inoffensive, and that's a good way to get mass appeal. Their breweries are really truly impressive in the consistent quality they churn out (and especially remarkable for their chemical plant levels of sterility where it counts) -- unfortunately their facilities are mostly used for evil.

PittTheElder posted:

That's true, I do have fond memories of beer availability during my trip to Seattle. From what I hear the Pacific Northwest + Vancouver is undergoing something of a beer renaissance at the moment. Colour me jealous.

It has been since the late 70s really. The more amazing part is that it hasn't slowed down much since then with a new brewery opening up every two years or so in major cities. The last time this subject came up in the NYC thread I said that my hometown in Western Montana (pop ~60k) has three breweries and someone called bullshit -- turns out it has four now, one had opened since I moved to NYC that I didn't know about.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 4, 2013

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also on your last sentence I just want to mention that for most people beer is an acquired taste. We forget this all the time once we're used to it, but the first time you had a beer (or tried to feed one to a girl) you probably vaguely remember not liking it. Those domestic lagers are cheap and really flavorless / inoffensive, and that's a good way to get mass appeal. Their breweries are really truly impressive in the consistent quality they churn out (and especially remarkable for their chemical plant levels of sterility where it counts) -- unfortunately their facilities are mostly used for evil.

You're right, and I wasn't intending it to come across as 'those people's tastes are wrong' but more along the lines of 'those people tip for poo poo most of the time and the crowd that drinks craft beer often will tip better'. Believe me, consistency has been a growing thought as a homebrewer; I brew about 24 gallons/month right now, and if I could get the exact same beer for every similar batch I attempt I would be beyond ecstatic.

The one bar I'm working in now has 16 taps and is expanding to 20 - a hefty amount for your average regular's focused joint I think - and with the vast majority of that as local craft (as in, not even anything from Washington, all BC brewed). My general approach to customers isn't to try and push a higher beer on them - if they ask for bud then hey, we have it by the bottle and they're welcome to it - but if they ask me for my opinion, I'll try and get a feel for what they usually like to drink, and suggest something brewed to a similar style, but a step up in quality.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Beer chat I loving love it when I get, "give me a coors light man" and I have to say, sorry bud I don't have that. I've got a nice lager that's light and crisp and locally brewed though..... "Nah, fine. Look, just give me a Budweiser ok?" Actually, I don't carry Bud either. And then you get this amazing look like, what kind of loving shithole is this? You charge $98 for my dinner and I can't even get a Budweiser with it?! and if I could bottle that look and drink/shower in it then I would probably not want or need for another thing in my entire life.

Due to having a crazy, eccentric owner, one of the best things is that he's got these long, ongoing fueds with certain companies/distributors. One of which happens to be Diageo. So here we are in Canada, a great bar with a pretty solid selection of liquors (especially whiskey) except we don't have crown royal. Ruh Roh. Now most people when they hear that will look a little confused but take us up on a suggestion of one of our multiple other rye whiskeys. Some people get a little miffed, some people get kind of pouty, but the best are the lovely wannabe gangsters up from south Vancouver who get super pissy when they can't get crown as if it's the best whiskey ever and when you tell them you don't even carry it, you can see their brain slowly write a thought out across the inside of their skull: "gently caress. I thought this place was fuckin classy." Yeah I know, right? Fuckin tragedy. Now what're you gonna mix with your lovely ginger ale?! "Look, just give me a fuckin coors light then, bro."

PT6A posted:

Eh, I don't give much of a poo poo about that sort of thing to be honest because I'll take a "Raspberry Mojito" or a "Tequila Caeser/Bloody Mary" over a billion different loving dumb idiot names for things that some dipshit thinks he invented because he took a classic drink and switched up one little thing about it. Sure, it's not a "mojito" but honestly, I'd rather stick a word in front of it that tells me instantly what it is and how to make it instead of having someone come up and order a round that's like a fluffy bunny with a batman and robin and a couple of shovels and lime.

Actually, wait. I wasn't even paying attention to what I was writing but I think Shovel and lime is the best drink name I've ever come up with. uhhh. Cool. Maybe there is an upside to finishing triple back to back 11 hour shifts by having to polish off a sabered bottle of champagne because it won't store for the night. Tonights posting brought to you by delirium.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

nrr posted:

Due to having a crazy, eccentric owner, one of the best things is that he's got these long, ongoing fueds with certain companies/distributors. One of which happens to be Diageo. So here we are in Canada, a great bar with a pretty solid selection of liquors (especially whiskey) except we don't have crown royal. Ruh Roh. Now most people when they hear that will look a little confused but take us up on a suggestion of one of our multiple other rye whiskeys. Some people get a little miffed, some people get kind of pouty, but the best are the lovely wannabe gangsters up from south Vancouver who get super pissy when they can't get crown as if it's the best whiskey ever and when you tell them you don't even carry it, you can see their brain slowly write a thought out across the inside of their skull: "gently caress. I thought this place was fuckin classy." Yeah I know, right? Fuckin tragedy. Now what're you gonna mix with your lovely ginger ale?! "Look, just give me a fuckin coors light then, bro."

Ahahahah, I get the same thing, but with Jack Daniels (because the local JD rep is a huge rear end in a top hat and the three major nightclubs in town are basically in bloodfeud mode now) and Jamesons (because gently caress making Irish car bombs.)

People lose their minds when I tell them we don't carry Jack Daniels. "What do you mean," they exclaim, as though I told them I beat my children, "you don't have Jack?"

Like, I'm really sorry, but I'm sure Seagrams will go just fine with your Red Sour Puss shot.

PittTheElder posted:

So do any of you bartenders out there have any feelings about the rather narrow beer selection that appears in most North American pubs and bars? Beginning a few years ago a couple new bars opened up in downtown Calgary, of the 'German Beer' and '100 Beers on Tap' variety. Which has been amazing, but now that I've absolutely fallen in love with wheat beers, hefeweizens, and the like, I find myself growing increasingly disgruntled about my inability to find even one of the type in the average North American suburban bar. Even in the places downtown, they're still something of a niche.

My go to choice would be a Konig Ludwig, but I'd happily settled for an Erdinger. Even Kronenbourg Blanc on tap would be great really. But in the mean time I shall settle for a Rickard's White (which is actually Blue Moon outside of Canada I guess?), though it's a poor substitute.

1, sounds like you'd enjoy Wurst if you don't already.

2, you should check out Willow Creek Wines & Spirits. They do a lot of events relating to beer, and they can order in stuff if there's a specific niche that fits. They have an AB craft beer festival next Thursday (costs $25) which I'd love to go to if I wasn't working a full Stampede schedule. Really curious about the place that opened right down by the grounds some brewery/restaurant joint.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

nrr posted:

Due to having a crazy, eccentric owner, one of the best things is that he's got these long, ongoing fueds with certain companies/distributors. One of which happens to be Diageo.

Having beef with Diageo is like feuding with the moon, hth. :radcat:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Perdido posted:

1, sounds like you'd enjoy Wurst if you don't already.

2, you should check out Willow Creek Wines & Spirits. They do a lot of events relating to beer, and they can order in stuff if there's a specific niche that fits. They have an AB craft beer festival next Thursday (costs $25) which I'd love to go to if I wasn't working a full Stampede schedule. Really curious about the place that opened right down by the grounds some brewery/restaurant joint.

Yeah, Wurst is nice. There and Craft as the places that got my hooked on wheat beer in the first place. A half-liter of Konig Ludwig is a great thing to drink. I kind of hate the atmosphere at Wurst unless I'm shitfaced though. When drunk though, it's amazing. Having the Oom-pah band play you Happy Birthday is quite the treat. My problem is just that they're so far away - I'm tucked way the hell away in the SE where there is effectively zero transit, which keeps those places off the regular drinking rotation.

And Willow Park is nice, as is a surprising amount of Co-Op liquor stores. It generally winds up being all singles though, which get's pricey quick. Zyn has a wide selection as well, but again it's nothing you can buy in volume.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I hope they didn't set you back too much, I almost feel personally responsible. They're lovely but you should see how people act over mediocre American treats over here. My city has at least three decent sized shops in the city centre selling American cereals for £10 a box.

On another note, we just got Kraken rum in and the stuff is practically jumping off the back bar. Can't keep up. A group kept asking for shots of half Kraken half Wray & Nephew. Is half dark half light rum a thing? Does it have a name? Google isn't helping me.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I missed the 2nd half of your post Pitt, you should try and get Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly, it's a great white/unfiltered. BC also has a couple decent Witbiers like the Stanley Park Wit and the Driftwood Whitebark, but I doubt they've expanded that far east yet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Unibroue makes some great stuff in general. Can't get it in bars here though, might be a different story out east. Haven't seen either of those BC beers here yet.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

Having beef with Diageo is like feuding with the moon, hth. :radcat:

my owner would fist fight the sun if he could find someone who would fly him there at night when it isnt too hot

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rorty posted:

I hope they didn't set you back too much, I almost feel personally responsible. They're lovely but you should see how people act over mediocre American treats over here. My city has at least three decent sized shops in the city centre selling American cereals for £10 a box.

Sure as poo poo wasn't 20 bucks :stare:

e: Please tell me there's a store in Ireland that sells Lucky Charms.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
Do bars ever carry really ginger-y ginger beers? I like my dark n stormy's with a crazy strong ginger kick, but I know I am in the minority so I don't expect bars to carry anything stronger than Canada Dry or Goslings, but it would be nice.

When I'm home, I love mixing Reed's ginger beer with Kraken rum. Not quite a traditional dark n stormy, but quite possibly my favorite drink.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Some cocktail oriented bars in NYC do. No other bars do reliably though.

My favorite ginger ale is D&G. Areas with a lot of Caribbean people carry it (it's produced in Jamaica).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nrr posted:

Beer chat I loving love it when I get, "give me a coors light man" and I have to say, sorry bud I don't have that. I've got a nice lager that's light and crisp and locally brewed though..... "Nah, fine. Look, just give me a Budweiser ok?" Actually, I don't carry Bud either. And then you get this amazing look like, what kind of loving shithole is this? You charge $98 for my dinner and I can't even get a Budweiser with it?! and if I could bottle that look and drink/shower in it then I would probably not want or need for another thing in my entire life.

I get that same look because we don't carry bottles. It's a beach bar idiots, get over your dumb loving obsession with bottles and drink your Bud Light out of a can. The worst is Corona drinkers, ask them to drink it out of a can and they act like you just asked them to bend over and spread their cheeks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I don't think I've ever seen a can of Corona.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Tibbs posted:

Do bars ever carry really ginger-y ginger beers? I like my dark n stormy's with a crazy strong ginger kick, but I know I am in the minority so I don't expect bars to carry anything stronger than Canada Dry or Goslings, but it would be nice.

I've found muddling a bit of fresh ginger to be a really good way to bump up a dark and stormy, but I don't know how cost efficient that is, but I honestly don't think fresh ginger could really be more than the more expensive craft ginger beers that have that awesome huge hit you want

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
We have Hamm's on tap :smuggo:

Also, I loving love Bar Rescue.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Some cocktail oriented bars in NYC do. No other bars do reliably though.

My favorite ginger ale is D&G. Areas with a lot of Caribbean people carry it (it's produced in Jamaica).

Not really. Pretty much every decent sized city has at least a handful of dedicated cocktail bars that will either make their own ginger beer or carry something more flavorful like Goya or Fever Tree. Just got back from doing cocktail tours in Omaha and Providence, for example. Some divey old guard restaurants/pubs, the type that did Manhattans properly before cocktails were cool again, will also have a decent ginger beer offering.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I didn't mean only NYC, I meant only in those sorts of places.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!

Tom Rakewell posted:

Not really. Pretty much every decent sized city has at least a handful of dedicated cocktail bars that will either make their own ginger beer or carry something more flavorful like Goya or Fever Tree. Just got back from doing cocktail tours in Omaha and Providence, for example. Some divey old guard restaurants/pubs, the type that did Manhattans properly before cocktails were cool again, will also have a decent ginger beer offering.

I live in Providence during the school year and most of the summer. I'd love to hear where and what your favorite cocktails were.

We do have some great dive bars here, including one that is actually in one of my university buildings, which seems to be rare in America. I just turned 21 last month so I'm still trying to find out my favorite bars.

I've been reading this thread and its previous iteration from the very beginning and they have definitely made me a pretty generous tipper.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Mr. Tibbs posted:

I live in Providence during the school year and most of the summer. I'd love to hear where and what your favorite cocktails were.

We do have some great dive bars here, including one that is actually in one of my university buildings, which seems to be rare in America. I just turned 21 last month so I'm still trying to find out my favorite bars.

I've been reading this thread and its previous iteration from the very beginning and they have definitely made me a pretty generous tipper.

I spent just a quick night there, but my friends and I enjoyed drinks at the Eddy, then I went solo to the Avery, which wasn't as polished as far as the drink menu, but had a capable barstaff and a solid spirits selection. Wanted to hit Justine's, but didn't make it there. Cook & Brown Public House was a James Beard semi-finalist for best Bar Program this year, but the drink menu online looked pretty straightforward. I guess I'd have gone if I had more time. Also worth checking out restaurant-wise are Birch, which is brand new and does a thoughtful local ingredient-driven menu that actually isn't full of overpriced bullshit, with a solid cocktail program to match; and North, which is right across from the Avery, and plays around with spicy Chinese and South Asian cuisine, and builds its short cocktail menu around pairings with that. My understanding is that having Johnson & Wales in town provides a good feeder for talented chefs who go to Providence to study and decide to stick around and open craft restaurants in the area.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh I didn't mean only NYC, I meant only in those sorts of places.

You know, I finally managed to do an NYC cocktail bar hopping tour, and it was a combination of my having a blast touring all these much-touted spots and seeing what they were all about, and also realizing that myself and a lot of my industry colleagues outside the markets are just as capable of competing on the exact same level and offering the same quality of product and service no matter what the market. Favorite bar I saw was Pouring Ribbons, though Amor Y Amargo definitely gets a thumbs up too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

leica posted:

I get that same look because we don't carry bottles. It's a beach bar idiots, get over your dumb loving obsession with bottles and drink your Bud Light out of a can. The worst is Corona drinkers, ask them to drink it out of a can and they act like you just asked them to bend over and spread their cheeks.

Back when I worked at a brewpub (children allowed until 10, good food, great pale ales, acceptable other beers, and full liquor), people would ALWAYS ask what beers we had in bottles. "We actually make all of our beers in that windowed room you can see right there, so everything is fresh on tap--it's free for a taste, what do you like to drink?" "I'll just take a Bud bottle, i guess" "We don't carry other breweries beers." "What do you have in bottles?" "Wine and liquor" "...I'll take a coke, I guess." "We have Pepsi" "Then just water."

That happened all the time, but the best was when a family of five showed up with towels and in swimsuits asking where the pool was. I said that we are a restaurant/bar/brewery and the mother, red-face-pissed, said "The sign says pool!" I explained that that was in reference to billiards, and they all went mum and walked out dejected.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do you live in the South? Because drat.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
:psyduck: Christ, do people not know what a brewpub is? I live in Salt Lake, which is the world HQ of the Mormon church, and we have 'em. Some good ones, too. I can't imagine how backwards a place has to be for people to not know what they're getting when they walk in.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do you live in the South? Because drat.

That was actually in the Northern Midwest; I've never worked outside of the Midwest other than small writing gigs where I could submit and be published elsewhere. There are idiots everywhere.

When I was working a nightclub with two other males, this woman comes up and orders a Jameson-grapefruit. She was incredibly attractive, and the night hadn't picked up yet, so we were all there to hear the order. I said, "You got it...Jameson and grapefruit juice?" And she said "I know, I get it all the time, it's delicious!" So I grabbed the Jameson, one grabbed the glass, and the other grabbed the grapefruit simultaneously.

Side note--this was a bar with well set-up stations, we were all just bored at this point and all wanted to be involved with this monstrosity of a drink. I made it, she paid, and we filled a shot glass with a test of the beverage to try ourselves (straw pulls). It was awful. One straw pull, she went from attractive late twenties to the weirdest sober customer any of us had ever had.

The way that tasted is how I imagine durian to smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

:psyduck: Christ, do people not know what a brewpub is? I live in Salt Lake, which is the world HQ of the Mormon church, and we have 'em. Some good ones, too. I can't imagine how backwards a place has to be for people to not know what they're getting when they walk in.

These days, at least in the Midwest, customers seem to think we have whatever they want--we are just holding back until they ask more adamantly.

There was an older man in recently who was sat at a table (my guess is sixties, but I'm awful with age). His server comes up to me, and I assume he has some form of classic cocktail he wants to make sure I won't gently caress up. The server says that he doesn't want anything, and as I am GM and tending bar at the time, I go to the table and ask him if he needs anything to drink once more. His server was flamboyantly gay, although dressed like anyone else there, and the guest said, "I don't take service from boys, I need an attractive female waitress." "Sir, we are not that kind of establishment, and we don't have any females working at this moment, is there anything we can get you?" "I'd like to speak to your manager!" I do a full 360 literally and say, "Sir, I am the general manager here, my name is Kaizoku Lastname, and your business is not wanted here. There is a Hooters roughly 2 miles away, I recommend you patronize that establishment as I will be calling trespassing charges if you don't leave immediately."

That's an extreme example, but I use it to illustrate the point that many guests seem to think we can pull anything out of our rear end to please their slightest whim/bias.

• Locked thread