Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Focus-Attack has $10 off Qanba/Eightarc sticks until July 9th

It's not as good as the Madcatz sticks will be when Evo hits (probably $99 for the MLG and others), but you can get a Qanba Q4RAF for $140 bucks, which is compatible with 360, PS3 and PC. So it'd be cheaper/easier to have a dual modded stick than getting a TE with a Cerberus or PS360+. Plus they're supposedly pretty good sticks.

I have one of these, it's an absolutely fantastic stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmus
Sep 12, 2007
Have the q4s ever gone for a lower price? Not sure if I should purchase now with the $10 off or wait for this weekend to see if it goes even lower for evo. Or just try to buy used. So many choices.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

exmus posted:

Have the q4s ever gone for a lower price? Not sure if I should purchase now with the $10 off or wait for this weekend to see if it goes even lower for evo. Or just try to buy used. So many choices.

I think I got my Q4RAF a little cheaper than that last year during EVO (I wanna say it was $20-25 off?), so I would hold out. It's a great stick regardless of what you spend for it though, so if you don't want to gamble go ahead and grab it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bunch of deals today because of Curleh Mustache:

Arcadeshock.com has a 25% off coupon code, they sell Hori and Qanba sticks. The coupon code is CURLEH2013

Eightarc has 5$ off a 50$ or more order with the coupon code "CURLEH" and 10$ off a 99$ or more order with the coupon code "MUSTACHE"

Focus-Attack has a 20% coupon code for all FA-Nippon products (Balltops, dust covers, shaft covers)- the code is "NIPPON" and all Eightarc/Qanba sticks are 10$ off (except the Q1 Cut model, which is 59.99)

Avermedia has a deal right now for their recorders/streamers(sold through Newegg)- The Live Gamer Portable (which records 1080P to a SD card) is 149.99- 40$ off with a free SD card and HDMI cable with promo code AVMC875. The Live Game HD (PCI-E capture card) is 179.99- 25$ off with a free HDMI cable and headset with promo code AVMC985 . And there's a bundle deal with the Liver Game HD, the Game Broadcaster HD, HDMI cable, and headset for 279.99 (45$ off).

Broken Tier has a 20% off coupon code for their clothing, coupon code is "CURLEH".

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Maybe someone here can help me, but I am absolutely useless at fighting games. I must be missing something because I just cannot perform a combo to save my life. I just picked up Mortal Kombat 9 and no matter how many times I hit the drat combo's it tells me to, it's like they just don't register.

X, A, Y...seems pretty simple. But no matter how many times I try I can't even get the simplest of combo's to work. I've tried hitting the buttons slower, faster, waiting for animations to complete, moving around while doing it, nothing seems to work. Is there some sort of trick that I'm just not getting?

And it's not just this game, I've had this problem for years. I've always wished I could enjoy fighting games but god help me my fingers just cannot seem to work whatever voodoo they require to play them correctly.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Esroc posted:

Maybe someone here can help me, but I am absolutely useless at fighting games. I must be missing something because I just cannot perform a combo to save my life. I just picked up Mortal Kombat 9 and no matter how many times I hit the drat combo's it tells me to, it's like they just don't register.

X, A, Y...seems pretty simple. But no matter how many times I try I can't even get the simplest of combo's to work. I've tried hitting the buttons slower, faster, waiting for animations to complete, moving around while doing it, nothing seems to work. Is there some sort of trick that I'm just not getting?

And it's not just this game, I've had this problem for years. I've always wished I could enjoy fighting games but god help me my fingers just cannot seem to work whatever voodoo they require to play them correctly.

In MK9 you have to do the inputs quickly in sequence, before the animations even start. Just press X, A, Y as quickly as you can, no pauses in between. The chain combos are generally safe so you don't need to hit-confirm them, only the special cancels.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 7, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Double Bill posted:

In MK9 you have to do the inputs quickly in sequence, before the animations even start. Just press X, A, Y as quickly as you can, no pauses in between. The chain combos are generally safe so you don't need to hit-confirm them, only the special cancels.

Keep in mind, this "dial-a-combo" system is unique to Mortal Kombat. Most other games allow you to organically create your own combos at the cost of requiring you to actually time your button presses.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Focus-Attack has a 20% coupon code for all FA-Nippon products (Balltops, dust covers, shaft covers)- the code is "NIPPON" and all Eightarc/Qanba sticks are 10$ off (except the Q1 Cut model, which is 59.99)

Looking forward to getting me some aluminum battop, shaft and dust cover action. :fap:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Broken Loose posted:

Keep in mind, this "dial-a-combo" system is unique to Mortal Kombat. Most other games allow you to organically create your own combos at the cost of requiring you to actually time your button presses.

And Injustice.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think you're all forgetting about KoF Maximum Impact. :unsmigghh:

Although, now that I think about it, didn't the Real Bout series have something similar?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You can play 3D game in the dial-a-combo fashion too, mostly either after a launch or something that gives you guaranteed damage.

I guess it's the same in MK9 and Injustice too.

and no, we had all forgotten about Maximum Impact.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

uncleKitchener posted:

and no, we had all forgotten about Maximum Impact.

I didn't. :smith: KoF2006 combos were hilariously fun, even in such a terrible game. The English voices just made it sweeter.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

inthesto posted:

I think you're all forgetting about KoF Maximum Impact. :unsmigghh:

Although, now that I think about it, didn't the Real Bout series have something similar?

Kind of. It depended on the entry of the Real Bout series and even from there it could depend on the character.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Are target combos really distinct from dial-a-combos? I've never played MK or it's ilk, but I presume that having dial-a-combos doesn't preclude them from having other combos based on links or cancels.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Typically in MK or Injustice you dial-a-combo and then link a special or another dial-a-combo after that. Essentially they are pretty similar to target combos.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
edit- whoops misread disregard

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 8, 2013

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Arcadeshock.com has a 25% off coupon code, they sell Hori and Qanba sticks. The coupon code is CURLEH2013

Aww, the coupon is either expired or not valid with the stick I want :( Anyone know a good store that ships to Canada at a reasonable rate? They all charge $45, minimum. Or should I just wait for EVO sales to make up for the high shipping fees?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mad Lupine posted:

Aww, the coupon is either expired or not valid with the stick I want :( Anyone know a good store that ships to Canada at a reasonable rate? They all charge $45, minimum. Or should I just wait for EVO sales to make up for the high shipping fees?

Prolly wait for EVO. I'll post anything I see in this thread, there should be some stuff up this week.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Prolly wait for EVO. I'll post anything I see in this thread, there should be some stuff up this week.

Thanks! :) Can't wait to stop using my Xbox controller! Getting tired of using Balrog online because SF4AE doesn't like the way I do anything else on the analog stick.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mad Lupine posted:

Thanks! :) Can't wait to stop using my Xbox controller! Getting tired of using Balrog online because SF4AE doesn't like the way I do anything else on the analog stick.

Focusattack.com also ships through Bongo, which may be a lot less than 40 bucks for shipping. It's a postal forwarding service, maybe worth a shot?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Mad Lupine posted:

http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/qanba-q4-3-in-1-real-arcade-fightstick-xbox360-ps3-pc-comaptible/

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Are target combos really distinct from dial-a-combos? I've never played MK or it's ilk, but I presume that having dial-a-combos doesn't preclude them from having other combos based on links or cancels.

They are functionally the same; the point that was being made about was about timing. In MK/Injustice, the timing for the combo strings is always just to do it as fast as possible. For chain combos in most other games (like target combos in 3S), there's a specific timing after each hit to press the button for the next hit. But otherwise they're basically the same.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Can you stop dial a combos early to link supers after them? Dudley has a couple of cool hitconfirms that revolve around his s.lk s.mk s.mp s.hp chain and cutting it off at the s.mk or s.mp in 3S. The ability to stop target combos early is really important in 3S too if you ever play people who can consistently red parry the last hit of Yun's 123 or dudleys cr.lk cr.mp cr/s.hp chain.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Do you guys think that one of these 20 dollar street fighter x tekken fight pads would work ok for PC Skullgirls? Is there a better fight pad option?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Do you guys think that one of these 20 dollar street fighter x tekken fight pads would work ok for PC Skullgirls? Is there a better fight pad option?

The 360 fightpads work perfectly on PC. Go ahead.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Works, fine. You also have the option of these guys which have a nub with microswitches instead of a dpad.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

mango sentinel posted:

Works, fine. You also have the option of these guys which have a nub with microswitches instead of a dpad.

Do not buy these. Yeah, they're awesome in theory but I've replaced the one I had issues with (the D-pad was off-center) and the new one still has the same issue but to a lesser degree. If they were actually aligned right then sure.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Uh, where are you seeing $20 for those? Because I gotta grab a couple if they're selling for that much.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

miscellaneous14 posted:

Uh, where are you seeing $20 for those? Because I gotta grab a couple if they're selling for that much.
Amazon?

Are they usually more than that?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh, wow.

So, Nintendo is bullying Evo. They're not allowed to stream Melee. Melee Finals are moved to Saturday afternoon.

Persona 4 is now first thing Sunday, with KOF immediately afterward.

lol nintendo

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Broken Loose posted:

Oh, wow.

So, Nintendo is bullying Evo. They're not allowed to stream Melee. Melee Finals are moved to Saturday afternoon.

Persona 4 is now first thing Sunday, with KOF immediately afterward.

lol nintendo

While I am sure the comment section for this will be hilarious tomorrow; How does Nintendo have the right to demand this? Are they an Evo funder/sponsor?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Neo Helbeast posted:

While I am sure the comment section for this will be hilarious tomorrow; How does Nintendo have the right to demand this? Are they an Evo funder?

They own the rights to videos of their game (most game publishers ignore stuff like this, usually) under the extremely vague DMCA laws.

I'm guessing they're not letting Melee on because it's an older game. They didn't do this with Brawl.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Neo Helbeast posted:

While I am sure the comment section for this will be hilarious tomorrow; How does Nintendo have the right to demand this? Are they an Evo funder/sponsor?

I think they can dictate whatever since it's their game. They've also recently not allowed any YouTube videos of their games without official ads or something.

EDIT: Yeah, weird that they didn't say anything with Brawl. Maybe they just didn't notice it yet.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I am considerably less excited for finals day now.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
This is hilarious and awesome and I'm even more stoked for Evo.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I wonder what the logic is behind this; it's free publicity. Unless they don't want to be associated with the FGC.

Edit: Ahh, didn't notice it was Melee not Brawl. Easier to understand their decision in that case.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 9, 2013

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Brosnan posted:

Yeah a dedicated community for a 12 year old game who donated a ton to breast cancer to get their game at EVO, and then proceeded to have the third most entrants (the most in the history of their game at any tournament) not being able to get any stream time is hilarious. :rolleyes:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, like, straight up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ghostpilot posted:

I wonder what the logic is behind this; it's free publicity.

Melee competitive play is so absurdly broken that I think streaming it would actually turn some people who would like Smash off from it.

EDIT

Pffffft these article comments.

quote:

The only reason Smash isn't a fighter is cause loving Nintendo refuses progress

oh my loving god, nintendo. oooooooooooooooh my god.

Thats so dumb Nintendo. And you wonder why your buisness is going down the crapper.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brosnan posted:

Yup. I am dying right now, Nintendo doing this last minute is just so them. Finals also moved to Saturday. Welcome back to poverty smash!

• Locked thread