Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I just picked up DuoDecim or however it's spelled and so far the story's pretty alright. There's some good Laguana dialogue. Also the opening cutscene has a Shirtless Tidus bare knuckle brawling with Jecht and then they headbutt one another :allears:.

The main story is okay, and the character scenes are pretty great - but the backstory is rather needlessly obtuse. Particularly of the gods themselves. The mechanics are pretty fun too why did my PSP have to brick? I was enjoying that game...:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

The main story is okay, and the character scenes are pretty great - but the backstory is rather needlessly obtuse. Particularly of the gods themselves. The mechanics are pretty fun too why did my PSP have to brick? I was enjoying that game...:(

Yeah so far I could care less about the setting/set up. I just got to Kefka's first appearance and he's so perfectly on point.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Not an Owl posted:

The absolute worst example of poor level design is Academia 400 AF. Low-level, easy to beat enemies spawning every five steps, so you have to fight them? And the area is one huge maze full of similar looking platforms? And sometimes they spawn in places you can't get to them, so you can't even find them in time to get a pre-emptive strike to make them end quicker? Who greenlit that level as an example of acceptable level design?

Academia 400's a pain, 600's a bore, and 500 sends you on the ultimate mandatory fetch quest looking for invisible items hidden through the entire game. Academia sucks at all times.

CottonWolf posted:

And isn't the whole point of the secret XIII-2 ending that Caius wins no matter what and he's still alive somewhere. That's what I took from it anyway.

Caius is immortal and can't be killed by anyone but another Farseer guardian (Noel), at which point the Heart of Chaos is supposed to be passed on (there's a paradox ending that shows this), but Noel actually stabs him through the heart and also kills Etro (it's actually her heart) so all that chaos gets out through Caius's body and makes everywhere deathless and time-hosed like Valhalla.

So while it isn't clear exactly why he's alive, there's an abundance of plot devices in play to explain it. Chaos, time paradox, Etro, The Void Beyond, he really stabbed himself and it didn't count, etc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dissidia's story is fine until you get to some of the finer details at which point if loving goes off the rails into crazy town, the dialogue is atrocious too, but I expect nothing less from SE of America at this point.`

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've never played much of FF7 beyond the first disc, so I'm experiencing it and its plot for the first time through the Steam version, under a very special condition.

Things might get a little clusterfucky.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've never played much of FF7 beyond the first disc, so I'm experiencing it and its plot for the first time through the Steam version, under a very special condition.

Reminds me of the time I named everyone in FF6 "Kefka".

Sadly, the Advance version's portraits dull the impact somewhat. :sigh:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Reminds me of the time I named everyone in FF6 "Kefka".

Sadly, the Advance version's portraits dull the impact somewhat. :sigh:

Eh, I just named everyone in 4 Kain.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's going to get super confusing dude.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I hate to tell you this but you're probably the twelfth million person to do that. :v:

Also a terrible idea for a first playthrough, people misunderstand the game and plot horribly as it is.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

You should've named everyone Zack

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pope on fire posted:

That's going to get super confusing dude.

That's entirely the point dude.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanfy posted:

I hate to tell you this but you're probably the twelfth million person to do that. :v:

Also a terrible idea for a first playthrough, people misunderstand the game and plot horribly as it is.

How can you misunderstand the plot?

Emo fights emo with an Oedipus Complex who wants to become a God and in between he falls in love with a pue maiden who is then killed by the second emo. Their love was transcendent and helped Emo #1 beat Emo #2.

Twas the best written and deepest FF plot to date.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I like the theory that Aeris dies when she gets skewered at the end of the first disc and then a big chunk of the plot is actually a delusion.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NikkolasKing posted:

Emo fights emo with an Oedipus Complex who wants to become a God and in between he falls in love with a pue maiden who is then killed by the second emo. Their love was transcendent and helped Emo #1 beat Emo #2.

Well you clearly did.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently you! Speaking of FF7 I just got to the final boss in that game and I didn't remember it being.....such a chump. Like, what the hell was that all about? I beat all 3 of the fights in around 20 seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Considering you misunderstood the plot, apparently pretty easily.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Apparently you! Speaking of FF7 I just got to the final boss in that game and I didn't remember it being.....such a chump. Like, what the hell was that all about? I beat all 3 of the fights in around 20 seconds.

If you overprepare he's really easy. There are things you can do to make the fight a little tougher.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If you overprepare he's really easy. There are things you can do to make the fight a little tougher.

I did those and even then it was a snooze fest. Even the C team wearing literally whatever things I could scrape together for them were killing body parts on the first turn. By the time I got to safer Sephiroth I was doing ~4000 damage per hit even with his Wall up. The Mime=Counter 4x Slash probably wasn't helping in the difficulty department.

I just wish there was something in FF7 that required using/learning some of the high end Materia stuff. The Weapons don't count because they're loving stupid and instead of fighting them with several different smart set ups it's basically one set to survive and if you survive you'll probably win.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Well you clearly did.

Apparently you!

ImpAtom posted:

Considering you misunderstood the plot, apparently pretty easily.

:thejoke:

Really, guys? NK has like 6 pages of posts in this thread, and has talked about VII repeatedly. I think he knows the plot of that game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Having heard similar synopses given without irony it's hard to tell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

Really, guys? NK has like 6 pages of posts in this thread, and has talked about VII repeatedly. I think he knows the plot of that game.

People will unironically give that description even when they claim to be huge FFVII fans. It's a case where it isn't particularly easy to tell.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So whats the easy type version of 4 for the SNES/SFC look like? I picked up FF4, FF5, and FF6 for 4 dollars in total awhile back but the version of 4 that I got was the regular hard type.

It's also disgusting how cheap RPGs are in Japan. Chrono Trigger is also a dollar.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It looks pretty much the same graphically, with the exception the final boss having a completely different look in Easytype. The main difference is in changes to make the game generally easier to play.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Easy type version was different from SNES II, but mostly similar. The biggest difference is several abilities were dummies out, like Cecil's Dark Wave, Yangs Build Up/Store, both of the twins abilities. Also, there isn't a seperate remedy for each ailment, just shitloiads of Heal potions.

For a more complete list, check out http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/
Also fun for changes done to clean it up for the US.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

Thank you.

Also I don't know any professed FFVII fan who would say Cloud or Sephiroth were "emo." That tends to be a derogatory word that is thrown around with reckless abandon by people with no real argument or criticism.
I really hate it.

There was a time, like ten years ago, where I might have summed up FFVII like that. However that was a different time and I was a bitter person just coming off playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time. "What? How dare everyone like VII more! And why are people calling IX a kiddy game?!!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Vincent was the definition of emo/Gothic though. Not the cool, historical Gothic either.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Vincent was the definition of emo/Gothic though. Not the cool, historical Gothic either.

Dude got transformed into a literal monster and the woman he loved got pregnant by the scientist who hosed him up. I think he gets some slack for being depressed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, I think he kind of qualifies for being the 18th-century kind of Gothic as well. Just not the 12th-century or 4th-century kinds.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, I think he kind of qualifies for being the 18th-century kind of Gothic as well. Just not the 12th-century or 4th-century kinds.

But are Barret and Tifa Vandals?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's entirely the point dude.

No, seriously, don't do this. You won't have fun, you won't be entertained, and the translation is already bad enough, even though the actual story is kind of good.

(As I advise everyone, though: Do imagine that Yuffie talks exactly like Lumpy Space Princess. Renaming her to Lumpy or LSP is encouraged.)

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Some questions about FF4 GBA:

1.) Apparently the US version has some bugs, are the European or Japanese versions better?

2.) Are they closer to the original version of the game or the SNES FF2 "easier" game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PirateNipple posted:

Some questions about FF4 GBA:

1.) Apparently the US version has some bugs, are the European or Japanese versions better?

2.) Are they closer to the original version of the game or the SNES FF2 "easier" game?

The Japanese/US versions apparently had a ATB bug that led to glitchy stuff like double-turns or skipped turns or something. I don't remember the details exactly, but the European version did have those bugs fixed, so that's the best one to get.

The GBA version is based off the original. The US SNES release and the Japanese Easy Type don't exist outside the SNES versions and Wii Virtual Console releases, as every other FF4 release is based off the original (besides FF4DS, which is a full-blown remake).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

The Japanese/US versions apparently had a ATB bug that led to glitchy stuff like double-turns or skipped turns or something. I don't remember the details exactly, but the European version did have those bugs fixed, so that's the best one to get.

There's also another bug in that all the post-game weapons count as armour for elemental/status benefits. So, stuff like the Piggy Stick inflicting Pig doesn't work; instead, it grants immunity to Pig. That was also fixed in the EU version, but US and JP v1.1 had the EU fixes as well.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Since I never did get very far in XII I decided I might as well try it, and got the IZJS version setup.
So now I'm going to be annoying and ask for some class selections:
I have Vaan as a monk and Penelo as a Red Mage. I also want a samurai at some point, which I understand most people give to Ashe? So it's just figuring out how to split up Basch, Balthier, and Fran now.

edit: looking at it a little more, this seems like a good balance:
Vaan Monk
Penelo Red Mage
Balthier Archer

Fraan White Mage
Ashe Samurai
Basch Uhlan

RME fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 9, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I admit it, I'm that guy who actually cares about this... but is Balthier's bow animation as slow as his gun animation? If so, I'd swap him and one of the other two you have free, because his gun animation is literally a fifth of a second longer than anyone else's and it's a huge drag on his DPS.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I admit it, I'm that guy who actually cares about this... but is Balthier's bow animation as slow as his gun animation? If so, I'd swap him and one of the other two you have free, because his gun animation is literally a fifth of a second longer than anyone else's and it's a huge drag on his DPS.

Huh, I didn't realize weapon animations weren't equivalent outside of aesthetics. A google search makes it seem like the slow animation is only for his guns, not his bows (Fran however has a slower animation with bows, who knew).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

RME posted:

Since I never did get very far in XII I decided I might as well try it, and got the IZJS version setup.
So now I'm going to be annoying and ask for some class selections:
I have Vaan as a monk and Penelo as a Red Mage. I also want a samurai at some point, which I understand most people give to Ashe? So it's just figuring out how to split up Basch, Balthier, and Fran now.

edit: looking at it a little more, this seems like a good balance:
Vaan Monk
Penelo Red Mage
Balthier Archer

Fraan White Mage
Ashe Samurai
Basch Uhlan

If you care about giving your White Mage a Greatsword near the end, or about your Uhlan's black magic abilities, I'd swap Basch and Fran. Uhlan doesn't really get any magic lores, and I think Basch has the worst magic stat on your team (while the Uhlan gets quite a lot of Strength lores and heavy armor, which boosts strength, to compensate for Fran's weaker physicals). Likewise, the White Mage gets plenty of magic lores and robes to boost magic, but very little in the way of strength boosting, so Basch is better if you plan to ever physically attack. As an added bonus, Fran always comes with White Magic 1, so making her a class that otherwise doesn't get it gives you an extra character with healing.

Of course, while Ashe can theoretically max out both strength and magic (which Katanas use both in their damage calculations), chances are you are not going to level to 99, and Katanas factor strength much more heavily than magic. So you might actually want to make Ashe the Uhlan (for her excellent strength and magic) and Basch the Samurai (because magic isn't actually super-important for Samurai, and they get robes to boost magic anyways).

But this is all just min-maxy nonsense, and you can really go with whatever team in whatever combination you like. I guarantee you won't screw yourself if you don't double up on any job.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Of course, while Ashe can theoretically max out both strength and magic (which Katanas use both in their damage calculations), chances are you are not going to level to 99, and Katanas factor strength much more heavily than magic. So you might actually want to make Ashe the Uhlan (for her excellent strength and magic) and Basch the Samurai (because magic isn't actually super-important for Samurai, and they get robes to boost magic anyways).

But this is all just min-maxy nonsense, and you can really go with whatever team in whatever combination you like. I guarantee you won't screw yourself if you don't double up on any job.

Ashe has pretty slow katana animation and the highest end katanas have quite high combo rates, so from a min/max perspective Basch and Balthier are actually the best Samurai.

The list in this thread isn't 100% correct, but it's interesting: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/65842038

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mazed posted:

No, seriously, don't do this. You won't have fun, you won't be entertained, and the translation is already bad enough, even though the actual story is kind of good.

Goddammit, now I'm going to have to blow up two whole mako reactors all over again because of your valid point. :argh:
But seriously thanks for setting me straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Not sure if this was posted yet but here is a trailer of FFX/X-2 HD Remaster trailer which shows the comparison of SD vs HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA6TshHFtJ4

Also:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/09/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-limited-edition-announced/

quote:

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster has a pre-order bonus in North America, and Square Enix announced what it is this morning. Anyone that pre-orders the game for PlayStation 3 will get a limited edition version that includes a 24-page art book package, with artwork from the PS2 era, and commentary by the X and X-2 development teams.

The limited edition will also feature a “special message” of some sort by producer Yoshinori Kitase. Square say you’ll be able to pre-order it from “major North American retailers”.

Additionally, Square Enix have also confirmed that the post-credits 30-minute audio drama in the game will be included in the North American release as well