Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

SeaborneClink posted:

http://sprint.com/verify

It's an auto-trigger within 30 days of upgrading, as in it will automatically drop off after 14 days if not re-verified. re-verification only needs to take place when you upgrade if you haven't verified within a year.

Is this a new thing? I've upgraded twice (last time was December 2011) with a Jose-applied-discount from a company I don't work at still applied to my account. I've only just seen a message in my sprint inbox saying non specifically that I may need to verify, but with no links in the message.

With my employers actual discount (10% iirc), I end up paying almost as much as Verizon (with a meager 12% discount). Hopefully I can keep this train going. Or switch to eprp or something, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

td4guy posted:

Dude, York is legitimately well-upgraded at this point. LTE / 850MHz SMR towers dominate the map. It is definitely time to upgrade.

drat. I wish I had known that. I figured that since I still was getting solid WiMax coverage they hadn't gotten around to LTE yet here.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Tedronai66 posted:

Is this a new thing? I've upgraded twice (last time was December 2011) with a Jose-applied-discount from a company I don't work at still applied to my account. I've only just seen a message in my sprint inbox saying non specifically that I may need to verify, but with no links in the message.

With my employers actual discount (10% iirc), I end up paying almost as much as Verizon (with a meager 12% discount). Hopefully I can keep this train going. Or switch to eprp or something, somehow.

Yes it's new. They are doing it to fix the fraud committed by Jose.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pretty much done with the HTC One. I have service nowhere useful. I think I'm gong to pay the restocking fee, get back out of contract, and go AT&T (10% company discount and 10% off home internet/tv/cell phone because all with same company)

Would it be worth it to try and sell the SERO account? I'd probably have to abandon my number I've had for 10 years right?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Question about a busted phone: I have an EVO 3D that the LCD backlight doesn't work on anymore. After watching a few videos on how to replace the LCD on one of these things, it seems simple enough. Anyone have an recommendations on where to go to buy a new LCD screen? Most of the sites I have found so far seem legit enough, but seeing as how I have no experience in this matter, and advice would be great.

Now, I know I should just say gently caress it and get a new phone. My 2 year contract ran out last month, but I just don't want to fork over the cash for a new phone right yet. Other things are higher on the priority list.

I also haven't gone into my local Sprint store yet. Thats the plan tomorrow morning, see what they can arrange for me. But I already had this phone replaced last winter using TEP because the digitizer ceased to function. They didn't charge me for it then, but not sure how many times I can get away with it before they want more money.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Syves posted:

Question about a busted phone: I have an EVO 3D that the LCD backlight doesn't work on anymore. After watching a few videos on how to replace the LCD on one of these things, it seems simple enough. Anyone have an recommendations on where to go to buy a new LCD screen? Most of the sites I have found so far seem legit enough, but seeing as how I have no experience in this matter, and advice would be great.

Now, I know I should just say gently caress it and get a new phone. My 2 year contract ran out last month, but I just don't want to fork over the cash for a new phone right yet. Other things are higher on the priority list.

I also haven't gone into my local Sprint store yet. Thats the plan tomorrow morning, see what they can arrange for me. But I already had this phone replaced last winter using TEP because the digitizer ceased to function. They didn't charge me for it then, but not sure how many times I can get away with it before they want more money.

If you have tep and its not broken because you broke it. It will be a free repair/replacement. Just take it into a store.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Syves posted:

I bought a replacement screen off ebay for my 3D for around $13, I think. I had my boyfriend replace it cause he's good at that stuff, but I don't know whether it was his handiwork or a lovely screen or what but that drat thing never worked right. Phantom touches all the time.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

datajosh posted:

Network Vision update:

... Milwaukee (40) ...

I had spotty LTE signal over the weekend at Summerfest and a faster/more reliable connection in downtown Milwaukee. There's hope for us yet!

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
In "holy crap I can't believe it", from the moment I got into PA on Route 15 all the way up 322 to Lewistown I had LTE. Only kicked down to 1x a few times, but cycling airplane mode got it back to LTE. Now if only 95 was as well covered as the Shentel areas I'd be very satisfied.

Impressed so far...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
July 10th is the big day

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have an iPhone 4S on Sprint for sale if anyone needs a phone give me a shout.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558807&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post417262829

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

brc64 posted:

Anybody else fight with sdcard cards with their S3?
My girlfriend's S3 hated its Sandisk 16GB and crapped out constantly, until I replaced it. I even reformated and it started causing slowdowns immediately. However, there have been stories that Sandisk issued a pretty bad batch of microSD cards, but that may be rumor and conjecture. I'm not sure what to tell you about your HP card.

My AmazonBasic 16GB has been working fine and was transferred to my girlfriend, but it's currently overpriced now. No issues with my new Samsung 32GB, which goes on sale for $20 often at BuyDig at Ebay. I've also heard Microcenter ones work pretty well too and are priced reasonably, $10/$20 for 16/32 GB.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 10, 2013

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
In other news, I'm blown the gently caress away by my wife's new S4. Her Galaxy Nexus would barely last a day (often not making it). Right now, her S4 is at 17+ hours and 77% battery remaining. And she's using just as much, if not more due to the newness.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Allaniis posted:

My girlfriend's S3 hated its Sandisk 16GB and crapped out constantly, until I replaced it. I even reformated and it started causing slowdowns immediately. However, there have been stories that Sandisk issued a pretty bad batch of microSD cards, but that may be rumor and conjecture. I'm not sure what to tell you about your HP card.

My AmazonBasic 16GB has been working fine and was transferred to my girlfriend, but it's currently overpriced now. No issues with my new Samsung 32GB, which goes on sale for $20 often at BuyDig at Ebay. I've also heard Microcenter ones work pretty well too and are priced reasonably, $10/$20 for 16/32 GB.

Is it a Class 10 card? I've read that with the way that Android handles data, Class 10 cards will run slower and lesss consistently than a standard SD card. Apparently, Class 10 cards are good for large files (music, video, photos) but the repeated small transactions that the Android OS does does not play well with a Class 10.

brc64 posted:

In other news, I'm blown the gently caress away by my wife's new S4. Her Galaxy Nexus would barely last a day (often not making it). Right now, her S4 is at 17+ hours and 77% battery remaining. And she's using just as much, if not more due to the newness.
That's good to know - I may bite the bullet and pick up a couple after I make my switch to Ting. I've noticed a huge improvement regarding battery life with the Jellybean update on my S2, but medium usage still kills the battery pretty quickly.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

brc64 posted:

Not to be a bummer but don't get too excited yet. Phones take a cycle or two to calibrate the batter stats. So it could die at any point and not actually be at 77%. Usually the stats aren't that bad, but you may well actually be below 50%.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My sister is broke and her phone is broke so I'm thinking about getting her one for her birthday next month. But I'm kind of broke too, so what's a good phone around $200 bux? Used would be fine if it hits that price range. She has an Evo 4G right now (lol I know) and I have a Galaxy Nexus which I've been pretty happy with so I'm considering another one of those. Nothing too big because the bigger it is the more likely she'll break it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

bobula posted:

My sister is broke and her phone is broke so I'm thinking about getting her one for her birthday next month. But I'm kind of broke too, so what's a good phone around $200 bux? Used would be fine if it hits that price range. She has an Evo 4G right now (lol I know) and I have a Galaxy Nexus which I've been pretty happy with so I'm considering another one of those. Nothing too big because the bigger it is the more likely she'll break it.

A Samsung Galaxy S3 is probably your best bet. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them for $200 but they usually go for $200-250. A Galaxy Nexus is probably the second best option.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is interesting, but mostly for people who want to add additional dumbphone lines to their account:

If you were able to gang up 10 lines on this, all with unlimited smartphone data, you'd be looking at $56/mo per line pre-tax.

For comparison on EPRP, even though I don't have unlimited talk, I'm at $45/mo per line for four lines, pre-tax.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
And the merger is complete. Hopefully good things are on the way now because that new JUMP program from T-Mobile is awfully tempting.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

datajosh posted:

And the merger is complete. Hopefully good things are on the way now because that new JUMP program from T-Mobile is awfully tempting.

It seems like the Jump plan isn't that great of a deal since you have to give back your phone instead of selling it on SA/Ebay/CL.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is sprint loving crazy? That's horrible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What is the sprint unlimited guarantee

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
$30 per line for Unlimited Smartphone Data? Sprint have completely lost their loving minds. If they seriously try to jack up prices that high I'm going to take my 4 lines and loving walk.

Oddinary
Jul 25, 2006

Awake in a Dream

Don Lapre posted:

What is the sprint unlimited guarantee

Locks you into unlimited forever

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Should that be taken as evidence they plan to eventually phase out unlimited data?

Oddinary
Jul 25, 2006

Awake in a Dream

Q_res posted:

Should that be taken as evidence they plan to eventually phase out unlimited data?
I doubt they'll phase it out completely: it's the one differentiator that they have; if they phase it out, they will bleed customers. Their network needs work and they no longer have any excuses: they have the spectrum and the money now; they just need to execute, and do so quickly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

Altogether, no. In plans other than this... Maybe.

The real fun here is that the contract is probably so favorably written for Sprint that your recourse against them if they ever kill the grandfathered plan is fuckall. On top of that they already call out the idea that much like Ye Olde SERO, they may stop letting new phones onto the plan.

In other words, unless they come out with an EPRP version of this that has a significant discount... gently caress Sprint.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Altogether, no. In plans other than this... Maybe.

The real fun here is that the contract is probably so favorably written for Sprint that your recourse against them if they ever kill the grandfathered plan is fuckall. On top of that they already call out the idea that much like Ye Olde SERO, they may stop letting new phones onto the plan.

In other words, unless they come out with an EPRP version of this that has a significant discount... gently caress Sprint.

It says they don't guarantee the price. So just make it too expensive.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Q_res posted:

$30 per line for Unlimited Smartphone Data? Sprint have completely lost their loving minds. If they seriously try to jack up prices that high I'm going to take my 4 lines and loving walk.

Wow.. as a 4 line plan you get hosed (50 more per month). 2 line is the same as their current 1500/unlimited.

At least they're finally rolling in the stupid goddamn "premium data" bullshit charge to just the price of plan (thus making it discount eligible).

Also, gf just got the awesome straight-to-voicemail when she tried to call me. Glad I got my airave in and set up last week! I'm literally 20 feet from it, all lights are green. And I can't get a goddamn call to go through.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Is this a way to get the simply everything plan on one line for 20 bucks cheaper or am I reading that wrong?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Is this a way to get the simply everything plan on one line for 20 bucks cheaper or am I reading that wrong?

Seems like $30 cheaper, or you can throw in the 5gb hotspot for the same price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Is sprint loving crazy? That's horrible.

This. They are basically matching prices of ATT and Verizon. Also those plans seem confusing as hell for customers (my opinion).

Usually price matching is something you do when someone has something cheaper than you do. Usually.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

But with the Any Mobile option on the non-unlimited plans, minutes are a moot point. I think I average about 5 anytime minutes used a month, the rest is all mobile.

Heh, looks like T-Mobile is 5 bucks cheaper (with my company's actual discount) than what I pay now (with the fraudulent 25% discount) for unlimited everything. I wonder if they'd give me a signal booster since my subdivision is a weird Bermuda triangle for cell signal.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a great time to get the hell out while I can.

Dear Sprint, you can axe me for roaming now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If comparing sprint to tmobile, sprints chart that leaked has $23/m phone payment plan added to the tmobile prices.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Tedronai66 posted:

Wow.. as a 4 line plan you get hosed (50 more per month). 2 line is the same as their current 1500/unlimited.

At least they're finally rolling in the stupid goddamn "premium data" bullshit charge to just the price of plan (thus making it discount eligible).
I wonder how the discounts work on this plan though, it's entirely possible they won't apply the discount to the whole thing. (And the "My All-In Plan" option for a single line is straight up non-discountable according to what that says.)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

datajosh posted:

I wonder how the discounts work on this plan though, it's entirely possible they won't apply the discount to the whole thing. (And the "My All-In Plan" option for a single line is straight up non-discountable according to what that says.)
The discounts apply to the data plans only on all lines.

And the old plans are staying around for now. They're not making people change (and probably won't). They'll be able to activate on the current plans at least for a while too.

The new ones are cheaper if you actually need unlimited minutes, but since most people don't they're a bit more than the old family plans after 2 lines. Especially if you have discounts.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

The discounts apply to the data plans only on all lines.

Congrats to them, they just became a lot more expensive. Definitely jumping ship when ETF is up, or sooner if a good enough phone comes along.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Android handles data, Class 10 cards will run slower and lesss consistently than a standard SD card. Apparently, Class 10 cards are good for large files (music, video, photos) but the repeated small transactions that the Android OS does does not play well with a Class 10.
It's true that, as a general trend, "cheap" Class 10 cards (which, unfortunately is nearly all of them) do perform worse for Android workloads than earlier cheap cards. However, it's not inherent to Class 10--all "Class 10" means is that the card has to be able to do sustained 10 MB/s writes.

In reality, performance issues are really due to the use of unsophisticated Flash Translation Layers (FTL), which in "cheap" card have optimized sustained write performance at the cost of 4 kB random I/O. Now, it's entirely possible to write FTLs that do well in both cases, but they're highly proprietary pieces of firmware code and most cards simply don't feature good ones.

They're hard to find, but the easiest way to tell if a card is "good for Android" or not is if someone has run a CrystalDiskMark benchmark test against it. Specifically, a 4K QD32 > 1.0 MB/s or so, for both read is write, is a "good" indication as this is the scenario that most FTLs have trouble with. Cheap cards can score as bad as 0.01 MB/s or less, which is seriously frustratingly slow.

All that said, these days I really just recommend SanDisk Ultra cards, as SanDisk consistently uses a good (presumably their own proprietary) FTL, and consistently scores well in all categories but especially "4K QD32". The only issue in recommending the Ultras is that there was definitely a bad batch of cards released last year that a lot of folks got bitten by. SanDisk claims they've resolved this issue, and I haven't had any problems with the cards I've purchased since then. But it's a tricky situation because I say "buy Ultras" and folks still remember and respond "no way, my S3 destroys them in a week tops."

Also, I keep mentioning "cheap" cards, but Ultras are price competitive with the rest of the market, so I guess "cheap" is no longer a reflection of actual cost here. FWIW, the SanDisk's premium series, the Extreme, may well be good and boast impressive benchmark numbers. But I find the performance of the Ultras to be sufficient such that there's no need to spend extra there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

That's been happening to me a lot the past month and I'm waiting for a new phone to arrive in the mail (eBay auction). Then I'll see if it's the phone or the network. Sprint hasn't responded to my question on if there is any service changes to the area lately.

According to Sprint Twitter some of the towers in my area are down for upgrades. How long does it take? It's been about a month since this started. Also, my eBay phone acts exactly the same way, so it isn't a phone issue.

edit:
Wish Sprint got this:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/11/nokia-lumia-1020-official/

drat.