Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I must say I find Phelous and Lupa's "DERP DEE DOOO" thing painfully annoying.

So if you've seen my posts in this thread, you probably know that I like to complain about how a lot of lesbian movies are pretty cruddy. Well - I finally took a look at one of the worst lesbian movies ever. It's so bad, you probably haven't even heard of it, but it got five nominations for the first ever Golden Raspberry awards, and it's bad enough that the director apologised for it. WINDOWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mokinokaro posted:

I doubt it. His content releases slowed for a while so it might be dictated by blip.

Nope, Blip's only edict on commercials has been that preroll ads are now mandatory. (Though you can exempt a few videos.)
Commercial breaks are entirely up to the producer. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say Phelous and Lupa are trying to make a living off the videos, but they don't have the viewing figures of a Nostalgia Critic or AVGN. If the multiple adbreak strategy adds more revenue than it drives people away, it's a valid, albeit potentially annoying way to go.

irishjoo
Jul 20, 2004

Step 1-Curl and Drag
Step 2-Attempt to Shoot
Step 3-Get Soft Penalty
Step 4-Score just enough to make people forget about Steps 1-3
The number of ads is one thing but if you are putting that many in atleast take the time to not have them happen in the middle of sentences or a few times midword.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So. MovieBob is now selling a book on SMB3.

I'm... not entirely sure how to take this. He's a pretty self-admittedly huge Nintendo fanboy, so I can see him actually having some insight into this game purely by virtue of being such a big fan that he'd play it to the point of memorization. But I can also easily see this as yet more self-indulgent nerd nostalgia gushing over a bygone era of video game magic that will never again be captured as perfectly as that moment you first played this game because you're not eight years old anymore.

I wouldn't read it either way. If anything this is just a reminder that I haven't watched Game Overthinker in over a year, possibly two.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm... not entirely sure how to take this. He's a pretty self-admittedly huge Nintendo fanboy, so I can see him actually having some insight into this game purely by virtue of being such a big fan that he'd play it to the point of memorization. But I can also easily see this as yet more self-indulgent nerd nostalgia gushing over a bygone era of video game magic that will never again be captured as perfectly as that moment you first played this game because you're not eight years old anymore.

I wouldn't read it either way. If anything this is just a reminder that I haven't watched Game Overthinker in over a year, possibly two.

MovieBob is pretty much synonymous with self-indulgent nostalgia and fanboyism, both in movies and games. It's one of the reasons I really can't stand to watch him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Infamous Sphere posted:

I must say I find Phelous and Lupa's "DERP DEE DOOO" thing painfully annoying.

Yeah I can see that. I have a friend who just can't stand Phelous and can barely tolerate Lupa.

They both have a very sarcastic style.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SatansBestBuddy posted:

According to the /v/ thread I read(never ever read a /v/ thread) it's mostly weird ruminations about his life mixed with a text LP. It's about as engaging as it sounds.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

irishjoo posted:

The number of ads is one thing but if you are putting that many in atleast take the time to not have them happen in the middle of sentences or a few times midword.

Don't be suggesting that to Lupa, she'll be blocking you on Twitter.

Really, she is weirdly stuck up on this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well according to Twitter, both Lupa and Oan are reading this thread...

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

FlamingLiberal posted:

Regardless, it's still good advice. You can even have fun with the breaks like MikeJ does. Not editing around ads in mind is just lazy.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good to see that Infamous Sphere's making friends.
Yikes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh in that case I want to say "Thanks" to Lupa for being so consistently entertaining, and that I've greatly enjoyed her Manic Episodes. Seriously good stuff.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

mind the walrus posted:

Oh in that case I want to say "Thanks" to Lupa for being so consistently entertaining, and that I've greatly enjoyed her Manic Episodes. Seriously good stuff.

The whole Charmed retrospective has been so wonderfully nostalgic for me. :allears:
Of course, now Lupa's finally getting into the seasons where even 10 year old me said "Yeah, this is bad" and stopped watching.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

dijon du jour posted:

Good to see that Infamous Sphere's making friends.
Yikes.

I was under the impression that this thread was a place to be..relatively honest about what we think about reviewers? I don't feel like I've been *needlessly* horrible. Hell, I'm sure a lot of people hate my stuff, and that's fine. I think criticisms of someone's style is fine, personal criticisms of them probably isn't quite so good. The way that you write that sounds like I was going out of my way to personally attack them....

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Infamous Sphere posted:

I was under the impression that this thread was a place to be..relatively honest about what we think about reviewers? I don't feel like I've been *needlessly* horrible. Hell, I'm sure a lot of people hate my stuff, and that's fine. I think criticisms of someone's style is fine, personal criticisms of them probably isn't quite so good. The way that you write that sounds like I was going out of my way to personally attack them....

Oh no nothing of the sort. I was simply observing that based on the twitter conversation Kyle and Allison were having they... don't seem to think very highly of you at the moment. Allison seemed to think that you were specifically criticizing her "derp de doo!" joke that she's made a few times as opposed to her "derp dee doo!" dramatis personae. (I'm assuming that's what you were criticizing. Which I'll admit is a valid thing to criticize, even if I don't agree with you).

Kyle, on the other hand, is probably still sore about this little number.

Infamous Sphere posted:

To be honest I'm sort of..glad it's not by Folding Ideas, since I don't really like the guy's attitude. I'm not putting him in the same camp as Phil Buni, but they do come across in a similar way in terms of indicating that they seem to know everything about reviewing ever and everyone should listen to their genius advice. Plus, the tweets by Oancitizen saying he was the most intelligent reviewer ever, so much smarter than all those other reviewers or something along those lines..made me a tad annoyed. Why not just say the review was an intelligent take on a subject and worth seeing, rather than saying "Folding Ideas is the pinnacle of geeenius! All other reviewers are grasping idiot nerds!"

Which, in my opinion, was a little uncalled for on your part.
You know, I swear to god that Kyle replied to your post in this thread, but I can't find his post so I may very well have hallucinated that. :psyduck:

e: Yup, double, triple, and quadruple checked. Nothing there. Welp, guess I've got brain problems! :v:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 7, 2013

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Ah, Ok. I admit that I do think that it's not very easy to judge someone's intentions over Twitter, but I do wish that if Oancitizen and Lupa had a problem with what I was saying, they'd say it to me directly. I do have a Twitter account, but I don't go under Infamous Sphere, so that might be part of the problem. I suppose I've been a little bothered by the fact that Kyle seems to have a habit of asking for people's opinions and asking general questions over Twitter, and then not responding to anything anyone says, or acknowledging that he receives replies that might be helpful, interesting or useful. I know that if he gets a lot of responses, it might be hard to reply to everything personally, but I do wish that he'd acknowledge people's contributions, or opinions that they've volunteered.

I'm not meaning to attack anyone personally, and I apologise to any reviewers out there if I've made them feel that way, but I can only really go by how they come across in their reviews, and on Twitter - which might not be the best way to judge them. Now, as an example, I'm not overly fond of Lupa's general persona/style, which is why I don't tend to watch her videos. That's my personal taste, and I know a lot of people love her particular style, and presentation. I suppose I just had the impression that this thread was, to some extent, a "safe space", where if we had an issue with the way a reviewer was coming across in their videos, we could discuss that critically.

I know that a lot of the reviewers have had comments that are..really quite horrible towards them, but I've never intended to be horrible or cruel or to attack them as people - and it feels like a bit of a harsh judgement to treat me as if I'm one of those people who have attacked them personally.I might not necessarily enjoy or agree with what they do, but I was under the understanding that voicing that opinion counted as just that - an opinion. After all, if we're critics, aren't we able to accept some kind of criticism, or the fact that our schtick might not necessarily appeal to everyone?

Anyway: tl:dr; I'm sorry that my comments might have come across as if I'm being unfairly negative or personally mean, but that truly wasn't my intent. It's a little hard to judge other reviewers as people based on Twitter, and it might just be a particular use of wording in a tweet, or in a post, that rubs people up the wrong way. But yes, Oancitizen doesn't really respond to me, even when I directly answered a question he asked, and I certainly didn't know that I was now in the bad books among the reviewing community. I'm hardly a master troll or a cyberbully...

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Hey all, Lupa here.

I just wanted to clarify what's going on here. I don't have anything against you personally, Infamous Sphere. While it's true that my comments were sparked by what I read, it wasn't meant to mean I'm upset at you personally or that I took it as an attack.

The "derp dee doo" thing irks me because it was a phrase I said in maybe...three videos? As a joke at the time. And now that seems to be my catchphrase and that's what a lot of folks say bothers them about my videos. And I can't do anything more than not use it and, well...it's been two years since that happened. It's the same as when people complain that Phelan and I cameo in each other's videos too much. He's been in like 4 episodes out of 110. It just gets frustrating because that's not representative of what I do or even what I did.

But if you just mean you don't like the style of my videos, that's fine. I'm not everyone's cup of tea. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted.

And then there's the ads. I hate talking about them anymore because it's like talking to a brick wall--I can only say my side so many times and let it get buried on twitter on tumblr or whatever. But if you want to know, here's how I feel about it.

I don't want to build ads into my show. Why? Because I'd like the option to add, change, or remove them entirely. And you are able to watch the midrolls beforehand and then watch the video uninterrupted, which is really how I'd prefer them watched. But if you want to play it as is? That's fine too. Unfortunately, I can't make the ads any more precise than they are. I wish Blip had a more precise system, but even if you set the ad for the perfect spot, it'll round it to the nearest second. And that's why sentences get cut off and things like that. It's not because we're being lazy, it's because you can't be anymore precise than that.

I don't block people just for mentioning the ads or their grievances over them. I do, however, block people when they start acting entitled over it.

Here's the main complaints I get:

-The mid-sentence cut-off, which I explained just now.
-"The ads break my computer!" That's a tech glitch. You can try another browser or contact Blip...but there's nothing I can do to help you.
-The amount of ads. "I might as well be watching TV!" Well...I made a half hour video in one week. And it's actually less ads than TV. I've had people say it was almost as much ad as content...but actually, I can only put a midroll every five minutes (which is another reason ads are hard to place). So maximum, I can only do 3 midrolls for a 20 minute video. There's 2 ads per midroll, 30 seconds each, which means 3 minutes of midrolls and 30 seconds pre-roll. Round that off to 4 minutes versus 20 minutes of video. It's not close.
-"If the ads weren't so annoying/if it weren't the same ads, I wouldn't complain!" I know Lewis explained this a bit in his video, but the reason there's less variety is that there are less people vying for online advertising. So basically, that means Blip only has so many ads to work with. But regardless...I can't personally change that. That would be something to contact Blip about if it truly bothers you.

I've explained this to people before, and I've gotten rude responses over it. That's the times that I block people. Heck, some people were awful to Lewis over his ad video and I thought he was incredibly polite in it. The things that I can change, I don't want to because of personal preference, and there is at least one other option on how to watch it without cut-offs or interruptions. I can't give you much more than that. But I do apologize if I've been rude because of frustration on my part. I realize because of how vocal I am I seem to have gotten a reputation.

While I'm writing a novel though, I do want to say that I have been following this forum for awhile now and I've enjoyed reading it. Heck, I bought an account for it. A lot of us on the site do read it, as you know by now. And what I enjoy about it is that it's a middle-ground. It's not Busy Street but it's also not the opposite of that, and hearing honest criticism does help. It's easy to surround yourself by yes men, and that can be detrimental to your show and your personal life.

But I also do appreciate you all for the attitude following the events from last year. I don't want to bring it up again or cause drama, but I do want to say thank you. I found most of you level-headed and honest. I wasn't given a free pass, and I shouldn't have, but I didn't feel like I was taking crazy pills when I came here. And for me, that was a safe haven.

Hopefully I don't take any of that honesty away. I know you aren't cruel. So I'm sorry if anything came off personal. And thank you for the kind words as well.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
It still really blows my mind that people can be that entitled as to complain to the reviewers about the ads on their videos. It's 30 seconds, it's muteable, and its how the people that they like are able to be (relitivly minorly) compensated for their work. Unless it's something actually terrible like the Fine Broes putting them on their "React to a 14 year olds suicide video" I just done see where they get off.

Thanks for your words on the situation Lupa.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Miss Wallace posted:

Hey all, Lupa here.

ALLISON?! WHAT ARE YEEEEEEEEEW DOING HERE?!

I'm so sorry that I said that. (I like that quote :shobon:) I stopped watching you a year or two ago (But I have been watching the Manic Episodes on Charmed, mum watched that show a lot.) but I have no idea why. After this, I think I'll gradually catch up. Thanks. :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

It still really blows my mind that people can be that entitled as to complain to the reviewers about the ads on their videos. It's 30 seconds, it's muteable, and its how the people that they like are able to be (relitivly minorly) compensated for their work.

I actually feel somewhat bad for watching videos on blip because more than half of the time the ads just don't play here in Canada. I'm hoping it's still counting views for the producers' sake.

It's nice to see you Lupa. You've actually sold a few movies in my case since I'm a big fan of shlock stuff.

EDIT: \/ That's a relief. They do deserve compensation for their work.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 7, 2013

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually feel somewhat bad for watching videos on blip because more than half of the time the ads just don't play here in Canada. I'm hoping it's still counting views for the producers' sake.

It does. You get a nice little breakdown of total views and views where the adds played.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
When it comes to internet critics, one of my favorites who manages to produce consistently good content is Sfdebris. As a big science fiction fan, I find his reviews to be in depth and a wonderful way to revisit an episode to a show that I haven't seen in years. If you want to check out some of his work, taking a look at his review of the Star Trek TNG episode "The Measure of a Man" might be a good introduction to his work. I am sure there are some fans of his work on here.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but according to twitter Welshy is coming back to finish his Saw retrospective before he stops producing videos for blip completely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Deofuta posted:

When it comes to internet critics, one of my favorites who manages to produce consistently good content is Sfdebris. As a big science fiction fan, I find his reviews to be in depth and a wonderful way to revisit an episode to a show that I haven't seen in years. If you want to check out some of his work, taking a look at his review of the Star Trek TNG episode "The Measure of a Man" might be a good introduction to his work. I am sure there are some fans of his work on here.
Yeah he started by doing reviews of bad Voyager episodes and then moved on to do all of Trek, as well as other Sci Fi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

I've explained this to people before, and I've gotten rude responses over it. That's the times that I block people. Heck, some people were awful to Lewis over his ad video and I thought he was incredibly polite in it.
It doesn't matter to them for whatever reason. He can explain himself in a perfectly reasonable manner and the Internet will still go after him. That's the way this stuff seems to work, sadly.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

How bad do the other seasons of Charmed get? I'm almost afraid to ask.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but according to twitter Welshy is coming back to finish his Saw retrospective before he stops producing videos for blip completely.

Yes! Thank God, I only got into those reviews after I heard they were over, and it would have been such a shame to have it end where it did. Great stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Thunderfinger posted:

What you've seen now actually had structure compared to the last two seasons, I'll just say that.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I need to catch up on some Lupa. I love the sheer, unadulterated JOY she takes in bad flicks. We watch horrible movies sometimes on what she reviews like the Billy Owens (aka HARRY POTTER in Canada) movie. She reviews movies we can watch in a group setting rather than Brad's films with would be rather...uncomfortable.

Infamous Sphere- I forgot if you said you wanted to review only historical LGBTQ films, or all time periods? I haven't browsed all of your reviews, but a few that have popped into my head are Heavenly Creatures by Peter Jackson, I Can't Think Straight, a sort of Bollywood film.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

It's not Busy Street...

I had no idea what this was, and had to do some searching. I suppose this answers the age old question: "But who will review the reviewers?" Mind you, it's not a very good answer.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OrangeKing posted:

I had no idea what this was, and had to do some searching. I suppose this answers the age old question: "But who will review the reviewers?" Mind you, it's not a very good answer.
It was brought up a few times in the old thread when they were getting more people's attention a few years ago. Nobody really cares about them anymore.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

quote:

Yeah, unfortunately the ads don't display as often outside of the US. But that's nothing to do with you. If ads just don't play for you, or folks need to use adblock because they can't run things otherwise, it's no issue for me. Thanks for watching, and I'm really glad to hear you've bought some of the movies I've reviewed!

quote:

Some "highlights" of season 7:
-A Pirates of the Caribbean rip-off episode called Charrrmed! (with the exclamation point).
-Phoebe impersonating Lady Godiva and riding naked on a horse as a social statement. This actually gets applause.
-PMS werewolves.
-I must repeat. PMS werewolves.

I agree on SFdebris, he's great. His review of Threshold was fantastic. I used to love Voyager and Neelix in particular (it was the Trek that aired when I was a kid) so it's great to see him poke fun at it now. I had no idea it was that bad, ha ha.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was running through SFDebris's Madoka thing, and it's interesting seeing it analyzed like that. I rewatched his episode 10 summary a few times because I really liked it. It's worth a watch if you are even tangentially interested in Madoka Magica

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Miss Wallace posted:

Some "highlights" of season 7:
-A Pirates of the Caribbean rip-off episode called Charrrmed! (with the exclamation point).

Oh my god. I'm already groaning. Charmed... :cripes:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn't matter to them for whatever reason. He can explain himself in a perfectly reasonable manner and the Internet will still go after him. That's the way this stuff seems to work, sadly.

The best part of the videos railing against him were the guys who were desperately trying to make "Uncle Linky" a catchphrase while they spewed bullshit rhetoric at a guy who just wants people to maybe watch a 30 second ad. You'd think he had made a video asking people to send him actual checks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only SFDebris review I've watched was his review of the First Evangelion movie and I didn't care for it since it was one of those "I'm gonna spend 90% of the review just summarizing the plot while cracking jokes and finally give an opinion in the last few minutes" sort of videos. Since people are really liking his Madoka reviews, I gotta ask; do they follow that same format or does he do something different?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OrangeKing posted:

There was also the even lesser known Dead Horse Interchange which was just a forum of people who were bitter about being banned from TSE and TGWTG forums. The owner of the site actually then banned that kind of talk because that's all people would talk about and not the dude's own work.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The best part of the videos railing against him were the guys who were desperately trying to make "Uncle Linky" a catchphrase while they spewed bullshit rhetoric at a guy who just wants people to maybe watch a 30 second ad. You'd think he had made a video asking people to send him actual checks.
Maybe Uncle Linky should have gotten a real job then, check and mate :smugbert:

But really that backlash was extremely stupid

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 7, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Srice posted:

The only SFDebris review I've watched was his review of the First Evangelion movie and I didn't care for it since it was one of those "I'm gonna spend 90% of the review just summarizing the plot while cracking jokes and finally give an opinion in the last few minutes" sort of videos. Since people are really liking his Madoka reviews, I gotta ask; do they follow that same format or does he do something different?

Usually it's an opinionated summery with critiques scattered throughout followed by a final opinion. The reviews are usually only like 10ish minutes unless it's a multi-part review for a movie something. Sometimes there will be a follow-up video that expands on some particular part of the main review.

I'd say Amok Time is a pretty representative of a typical episode. Not every series gets Shatner singing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds to open though. Each series has it's own opening theme.

Non Star Trek series seem to me to have a little more criticism mixed into the video than Star Trek series on balance though.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

And you are able to watch the midrolls beforehand and then watch the video uninterrupted, which is really how I'd prefer them watched.

Wait, how does one go about this? I'd be perfectly fine with a huge block of ads running first if it meant uninterrupted video. Actually, Hulu does this on some of their content and I really prefer it.

I understand why there's ads, but at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that the delivery method is undesirable. However, I appreciate having some clarity on why they are the way they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rebochan posted:

Wait, how does one go about this? I'd be perfectly fine with a huge block of ads running first if it meant uninterrupted video. Actually, Hulu does this on some of their content and I really prefer it.

I understand why there's ads, but at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that the delivery method is undesirable. However, I appreciate having some clarity on why they are the way they are.

If you let the video play through the ad breaks and then back up the video to before then the ads don't play again.

Personally my only real problem with the ads is that most of them don't even play right. All the dumb paint ads you have to manually close and for some reason they play two audio tracks at once. The navy ones are pure poo poo of start and stop.

• Locked thread