Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's not a Squid, that's just a (stereo)typical Harley owner.

Squids ride gixxahs and are into sick stunting. They may or may not wear gear/helmets.

:eng101:
Stupidly
Quick
Underdressed
Imminently
Dead

So a dude on a Harley (probably) fails the first qualification, but a guy in full gear also does too, even if both are likely imminently dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
The strangest thing I saw recently was a guy on a Gsxr with a full face helmet, gauntlet gloves, and a full leather jacket... With shorts and loafers on. I still don't know what to make of that one.

One of my friends is sadly in the squid category. Has a jacket but doesn't usually wear it and just about all of his riding stories are about doing 100+mph through the surface streets of Worcester or evading cops. I avoid talking about riding with him as much as possible, our last conversation ended with him giving me a bit of guff for spending so much cash on gear and thinking about putting a modulating headlight on my bike. To each their own I guess.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

My favorite squids here (Chicago) are the Indiana d-bags that have a helmet (because Indiana requires them) but leave it strapped to the bike while they tear up and down Lake Shore Drive (because Illinois does not require helmets).

How hard must the EMTs laugh when they scrape one of those dudes off the road when the helmet that might have saved them is siting on the side of the bike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:eng101:
Stupidly
Quick
Underdressed
Imminently
Dead

I have no idea where that backronym came from, but the term 'squid' comes from what they end up looking like when they inevitably wheelie into a wall or oncoming traffic at 90+ mph.

e:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 7, 2013

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Anarchist posted:

The strangest thing I saw recently was a guy on a Gsxr with a full face helmet, gauntlet gloves, and a full leather jacket... With shorts and loafers on. I still don't know what to make of that one.

One of my friends is sadly in the squid category. Has a jacket but doesn't usually wear it and just about all of his riding stories are about doing 100+mph through the surface streets of Worcester or evading cops. I avoid talking about riding with him as much as possible, our last conversation ended with him giving me a bit of guff for spending so much cash on gear and thinking about putting a modulating headlight on my bike. To each their own I guess.

A friend of mine was doing that and wearing Adidas sambas. He only wears the jacket and gloves because of his GF and the helmet because of the state. He also claims that none of that gear is going to protect him anyway.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nothing beats watching a marine duck-walk his stunt-caged GSXR through low speed small business traffic with his booty shorts and flip flopped military idolatress hanging off the back.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've worn nothing but a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops (helmet, duh) before. I was also riding my GF's scooter to the store down the street. Mock me as you will.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I have no idea where that backronym came from, but the term 'squid' comes from what they end up looking like when they inevitably wheelie into a wall or oncoming traffic at 90+ mph.

e:

I always heard that it's a short version of the term "squirrely kid".

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Pope Mobile posted:

I always heard that it's a short version of the term "squirrely kid".

That's the version I always heard. Which reminds me, can any southern California riders tell me if Squid's Leap still a thing?

nm: A quick Google search tells me it is.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

My favorite squids here (Chicago) are the Indiana d-bags that have a helmet (because Indiana requires them) but leave it strapped to the bike while they tear up and down Lake Shore Drive (because Illinois does not require helmets).

I thought Indiana only requires helmets if you're under 18.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

casque posted:

I thought Indiana only requires helmets if you're under 18.

maybe so but the helmet on the rack kids are all over Chicago. AFAIK Wisconsin has no helmet law, so I figure it must be Indiana.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tamir Lenk posted:

How hard must the EMTs laugh when they scrape one of those dudes off the road when the helmet that might have saved them is siting on the side of the bike.

Is tearing up and down Lakeshore a squiddy thing to do? Because that + Lower Wacker are the two points of interest I want to hit tomorrow.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Is tearing up and down Lakeshore a squiddy thing to do? Because that + Lower Wacker are the two points of interest I want to hit tomorrow.

Lower wacker makes every bike sound amazing, if you wear earplugs I would suggest removing them for that.

Tearing up lake shore is squiddy but really fun in short sprints.

Though... Some of the turns are awkward and traffic comes to a standstill suddenly so really it's not the best idea. Don't go anywhere near rush hour and once you get near navy pier it will be slow too.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Tamir Lenk posted:

AFAIK Wisconsin has no helmet law,

I cannot imagine the amount of whining that would occur if the home state of Harley Davidson passed a helmet law. I'm pretty sure bikers would shut down downtown.

But only on the weekends, and if it isn't raining.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Richard Bong posted:

Lower wacker makes every bike sound amazing, if you wear earplugs I would suggest removing them for that.

Tearing up lake shore is squiddy but really fun in short sprints.

Though... Some of the turns are awkward and traffic comes to a standstill suddenly so really it's not the best idea. Don't go anywhere near rush hour and once you get near navy pier it will be slow too.

Yeah be careful on Lower Wacker, since many of the curves have lights mid-bend, where traffic congeals. You can come up on stopped cars pretty much blind.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I don't know... Batman didn't have any problems navigating it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaTv98wUsE

(All sequences with visible support pillars filmed on Lower Wacker for non Chicago goons).

Protip: Do not ride with sunglasses in these areas if riding on a sunny day. Tinted visor for easy flip up and down is the way to go. It gets very dark very quickly down there.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Tamir Lenk posted:

I live in Massachusetts, which has a helmet law, and if I'm headed north I will always see people pull over right at the New Hampshire state line to ditch their helmets as soon as humanly possible since NH doesn't have a helmet law. With a state slogan of Live Free or Die I can't imagine they'll change that anytime soon either. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to wear one in the first place, but to make a stop just to take it off and store it away seems really weird.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

I live in Massachusetts, which has a helmet law, and if I'm headed north I will always see people pull over right at the New Hampshire state line to ditch their helmets as soon as humanly possible since NH doesn't have a helmet law. With a state slogan of Live Free or Die I can't imagine they'll change that anytime soon either. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to wear one in the first place, but to make a stop just to take it off and store it away seems really weird.

After a couple bumblebee strikes with my visor up, I can't understand a desire to have the helmet off anyway. It's nice to cruise around with the visor up occasionally, but it's so nice to have a full face helmet when a semi is tossing gravel or there are a lot of bees or, you know, I crash the bike.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

bigbillystyle posted:

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to wear one in the first place, but to make a stop just to take it off and store it away seems really weird.
So just by way of empathizing with the no-helmet crowd: I actually forgot to bring my helmet (derp) when I trailered the bike to Daytona. I had the wife fedex it down, but that meant 3 days wasted, so I said "gently caress it" and went riding without the lid. Riding without a helmet is an amazingly fun experience. Night and day difference vs. a full face, and I can understand why people would rationalize to be able to do it.

That said, when the helmet arrived, it was right the hell back on, full time, and has been ever since, because gently caress having my face crushed.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Just out of curiosity, in the no-helmet states in the US (we have none in Australia) do they still require you to have one at track days? I'm going to assume they do, but you never know.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Shimrod posted:

Just out of curiosity, in the no-helmet states in the US (we have none in Australia) do they still require you to have one at track days? I'm going to assume they do, but you never know.

Track days almost always operate on the rules of the track or whoever is running it that day, but the point is moot as I can't think of a single organization that wouldn't require a helmet for one.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

So just by way of empathizing with the no-helmet crowd: I actually forgot to bring my helmet (derp) when I trailered the bike to Daytona. I had the wife fedex it down, but that meant 3 days wasted, so I said "gently caress it" and went riding without the lid. Riding without a helmet is an amazingly fun experience. Night and day difference vs. a full face, and I can understand why people would rationalize to be able to do it.

That said, when the helmet arrived, it was right the hell back on, full time, and has been ever since, because gently caress having my face crushed.

I rode without one once, and it was to take the bike around my apartment complex after rebuilding the front end. Even at low speeds it's pretty thrilling. I also noticed it made U-turns super easy since you could really bring your head around. That said I was going bicycle speeds. To me it's the equivalent of driving without a seatbelt; willfully ignoring a basic and essential safety device that does little to restrict your experience is loving crazy and I think a little less of people that are unable to do a basic cost/benefit analysis.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

opengl128 posted:

Track days almost always operate on the rules of the track or whoever is running it that day, but the point is moot as I can't think of a single organization that wouldn't require a helmet for one.
All of the ones I've heard of require full face helmets and full leathers and helmets not over X years old and all kinds of stringent stuff. Even vintage racing. Tracks are taken seriously over here, even though street riding generally isn't.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

All of the ones I've heard of require full face helmets and full leathers and helmets not over X years old and all kinds of stringent stuff. Even vintage racing. Tracks are taken seriously over here, even though street riding generally isn't.

Racing, yes. Trackdays - most C group / lowest level groups allow textile suits or a jacket zipped to riding pants. I've never heard of a trackday org checking helmet dates either, though every racing one does. My local one doesn't require a back protector in B/C either.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

opengl128 posted:

The no-helmet crowd isn't likely to have a lot of overlap with track day riders anyway.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I saw the most amazing thing today. Dude was riding his sweet gixxer in a suit. Coat unbuttoned, tie flapping in the wind, probably scuffing the poo poo out of the top of his leather dress shoes, rocking a pair of oakleys. Most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. Either a true dedicated man or a guy who put his car in the shop and said "hell with renting, I will ride the bike."

I would not do 70 mph on the highway in business suit on a bike... but thas just me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've never understood how people can wear a half or 3/4 helmet (with no visor) and glasses. I've been hit in the face plenty of times going 20mph and my visor up. It hurts. How do you cruise down the highway at 60-70+ for hours on end with no face protection?
I know that if you have a touring screen or a cruiser with a tall enough screen, you'll be fine, but I've seen plenty of people without.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I know this this the "overheard stupid motorcycle" thread, but when I was waiting for the Port Jeff Bridgeport ferry last weekend, I had a car driver say to me, "At least someone still wears full gear." and when his son asked why I was wearing my Teiz suit dad said it was so I could stay safe. Pretty cool to have a good comment.

Some of my non-riding friends have this belief that a leather suit somehow = airbags, seatbelts, crumple zones, etc. of which I try to disabuse them. I think gear needs to be in it's proper place; it's not a cure-all. And I say this as an ATGATT rider.

I don't get in people's faces about gear, but I will try to advocate, helmet, boots, and gloves at the very least because I know of people who have lost toes in a slow speed crash where a simple pair of leather boots would've prevented.

I think the funniest gear combo I witnessed was in Germany. One-piece race suit, full-face, race gauntlets, sport sandals.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 8, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

I've never understood how people can wear a half or 3/4 helmet (with no visor) and glasses. I've been hit in the face plenty of times going 20mph and my visor up. It hurts. How do you cruise down the highway at 60-70+ for hours on end with no face protection?
I know that if you have a touring screen or a cruiser with a tall enough screen, you'll be fine, but I've seen plenty of people without.

I ride a lot with my visor up, even on the highway. Sometimes a bug or something whangs me on the cheek and it hurts for a second, or a few seconds in the case of a locust or similar. I've learned when to proactively put the visor down though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah I pretty much always ride with my visor up, even at 70+, it's part of the fun of riding a motorcycle. Bugs usually come in groups though so if I start being pelted I just close the visor for a while.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I take a look at my helmet after a long ride and think :ohdear: what about those people without visors?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Most folks who ride with a half or 3/4 helmet have gigantic basketball backboard-sized windshields in front of them, or ride a scooter that does 35 max.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I take a look at my helmet after a long ride and think :ohdear: what about those people without visors?

Before I moved in with my gf her place was like 5 mins away so occasionally I would not wear a helmet so I could look presentable.

What I didn't plan for was the bugs when it got warmer. The route goes through a forest preserve and over a river. Also I have a beard.
It was disgusting.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pope Mobile posted:

I've had to wash mine off after every day I ride lately. Bugs are all over around here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I ride a lot with my visor up, even on the highway. Sometimes a bug or something whangs me on the cheek and it hurts for a second, or a few seconds in the case of a locust or similar. I've learned when to proactively put the visor down though.

I had a stone chip thrown up from a car ahead hit me on the visor directly in front of my eye, hard enough to badly chip the visor - and this was at about 30mph. Without the visor I'd probably be monocular. My visor goes down when I pull away and doesn't come back up until I stop.

(However I do normally ride with it open a cm or so - more than enough gap for a butterfly to get through at >100mph, although not enough for it to get through in one piece. They taste nothing like butter, in case you were wondering)

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I started closing my visor all the time (at least pull it down so that it's only slightly cracked) ever since I had a bee bounced right off of my sunglasses (clear visor on a sunny morning) onto my cheek pad, then my cheek bone, then off and out of the helmet at about 25 mph one day, then another one decided to say hello to me up close when I was at a stop light a couple of days later.

Bees and wasps scare the crap out of me. By far the scariest things on the road for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Angryboot posted:

I started closing my visor all the time (at least pull it down so that it's only slightly cracked) ever since I had a bee bounced right off of my sunglasses (clear visor on a sunny morning) onto my cheek pad, then my cheek bone, then off and out of the helmet at about 25 mph one day, then another one decided to say hello to me up close when I was at a stop light a couple of days later.

Bees and wasps scare the crap out of me. By far the scariest things on the road for me.

You must ride in a utopia completely bereft of random gravel, random potholes, any sort of four wheeled vehicle, and perpetually sunny dry weather.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Close; Southern California doesn't get much rain or snow or anything. I can deal with gravel, I can deal with cars. poo poo I can deal with cars/trucks carrying gravel. gently caress bees though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Angryboot posted:

Close; Southern California doesn't get much rain or snow or anything. I can deal with gravel, I can deal with cars. poo poo I can deal with cars/trucks carrying gravel. gently caress bees though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gravel doesn't find its way into your jacket and actively attack you like certain airborne fauna will. Worst 'flying debris' experiences I've had on the bike were when stinging/biting insects made their way through my gear, alive, and none of them had anything to do with how my visor was positioned.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I had a stone chip thrown up from a car ahead hit me on the visor directly in front of my eye, hard enough to badly chip the visor - and this was at about 30mph. Without the visor I'd probably be monocular. My visor goes down when I pull away and doesn't come back up until I stop.

(However I do normally ride with it open a cm or so - more than enough gap for a butterfly to get through at >100mph, although not enough for it to get through in one piece. They taste nothing like butter, in case you were wondering)

I don't ride without shatterproof eye protection I trust; visor up, down, or off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

That's just mean, man.

• Locked thread