Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

VogeGandire posted:

Honestly, I'm just pumped for Warrior's theme being in it.

Because Warrior's theme owned.

You could upload Warriors theme for at least the last two WWE games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would never use his theme anyway. He'd enter to Rainbow Connection.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

That's completely different because all those items are modeled as that persons body.

yeah, the CAW pieces are all made to fit that specific model mesh. the actual roster all have their own separate mesh.

I'm not defending Yuke's here, because I think the WWE games have been pretty bad for a while, I'm just saying that I know how hard it is to make a video game and that stuff like this is not feasible.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm probably one of those few guys who would rather have a WWE game that was more of a "sim your own fed"-style game, and less of an actual fighting/action type game. Basically I just want the TEW games but with fancy 3D graphics and the ability to use my own entrance music. :v:

hexenductor
Jul 30, 2004
Grimey Drawer
WWE 13 is 15 bucks in today's Xbox "games-on-demand" sale. I caved and bought it, hopefully the Attitude Era story stuff is worth that much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
A lot of the Attitude Era stuff is quite cool. I'd say that's worth the $15.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Good luck putting Road Dogg through that loving TABLE.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How long does the sale for WWE 13 last ?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Until the 8th.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

VogeGandire posted:

Good luck putting Road Dogg through that loving TABLE.

I did it in the first try :smug:
Yet again I read a tip from here that made it easy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I found that part easy too, without using tips. I had a lot of trouble with the Mankind/Taker HIAC however.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

The way I did the Jericho/Road Dogg table spot was just using Jericho's powerbomb (Unfortunately I can't remember off the top of head which direction that is) and using the stick to turn it into it.

Also WWE '13 related, does anyone else's Universe become locked on certain matches? I swear, every week on RAW it's Mankind vs. JBL and Smackdown always has HHH vs. Brock. I haven't looked at their rivals yet, so maybe that's it.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

I'm at Austin/Kane and all I need is to pin Kane after a Stunner, but loving Paul Bearer keeps interrupting and won't leave when he's ejected :argh:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Quasipox posted:

Also WWE '13 related, does anyone else's Universe become locked on certain matches? I swear, every week on RAW it's Mankind vs. JBL and Smackdown always has HHH vs. Brock. I haven't looked at their rivals yet, so maybe that's it.

Universe mode has always worked this way for me, which I why I gave up on Universe mode.

It's a shame, because the mode has SO much potential

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
$15 for WWE13? Eh, I've almost got that much in MS points. WWE/UFC games are about all I use the Xbox for anymore anyhow.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

sk posted:

I'm at Austin/Kane and all I need is to pin Kane after a Stunner, but loving Paul Bearer keeps interrupting and won't leave when he's ejected :argh:

Get 2 stunners, one for Paul and one for Kane.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Liar Lyre posted:

Get 2 stunners, one for Paul and one for Kane.

I actually wasn't able to use a stunner on Paul, so I just assumed it wasn't allowed. I guess it was just a bug though.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

hexenductor posted:

WWE 13 is 15 bucks in today's Xbox "games-on-demand" sale. I caved and bought it, hopefully the Attitude Era story stuff is worth that much.

I caved and bought it, but this is my first THQ wrestling game, and my third wrestling game (after Fire Pro and that NES thing with Kin Korn Karn). How does one...like...play these? There's no in-game tutorial, there's no manual, and the moves list in the option section isn't that helpful. I mean, I can punch, and I can pin, but what happens in a grapple is a spooooooky mystery and I could definitely use some tips about how the flow of a match is supposed to go. People who said that you have to have been playing these games all along to "get" them are so right.

And I wont even muddy the waters by asking (yet) why my video game has a TV schedule and each show had its own separate card, or what that business is for.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I caved and bought it, but this is my first THQ wrestling game, and my third wrestling game (after Fire Pro and that NES thing with Kin Korn Karn). How does one...like...play these? There's no in-game tutorial, there's no manual, and the moves list in the option section isn't that helpful. I mean, I can punch, and I can pin, but what happens in a grapple is a spooooooky mystery and I could definitely use some tips about how the flow of a match is supposed to go. People who said that you have to have been playing these games all along to "get" them are so right.

And I wont even muddy the waters by asking (yet) why my video game has a TV schedule and each show had its own separate card, or what that business is for.

You can probably find the manual online, and the TV schedule is Universe mode, where it sort of simulates booking to create matches for you to watch or play at your discretion. When you beat the Attitude Era mode, it unlocks stories.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

I Before E posted:

You can probably find the manual online, and the TV schedule is Universe mode, where it sort of simulates booking to create matches for you to watch or play at your discretion. When you beat the Attitude Era mode, it unlocks stories.

Cool, thanks. Is the attitude era stuff supposed to be wicked hard? I was able to beat the first match after a couple tries, but the second match has me stumped. I can barely hold my own (getting a little better at the countering system), and the Undertaker is constantly humping me (and getting down into moderate damage territory) while Mankind just chills out and I can't get him down to moderate damage. Is there some way to taunt one partner back into the ring or something? I tried climbing out of the ring to attack Mankind, but that just led to BOTH of them stomping me like a narc at a biker rally.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Cool, thanks. Is the attitude era stuff supposed to be wicked hard? I was able to beat the first match after a couple tries, but the second match has me stumped. I can barely hold my own (getting a little better at the countering system), and the Undertaker is constantly humping me (and getting down into moderate damage territory) while Mankind just chills out and I can't get him down to moderate damage. Is there some way to taunt one partner back into the ring or something? I tried climbing out of the ring to attack Mankind, but that just led to BOTH of them stomping me like a narc at a biker rally.

You might want to turn the difficulty down, but other than studying the controls and working on your timing, I don't really have any hints for that one.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

As for the grapple system it's not too terribly complicated. A is your grapple button and you press that while pushing a direction on the stick (or while running to do a running grapple) and that puts you into one of four holds. Then you press a direction and A again to do an actual move, X to hit/punch/kick, B to irish whip, and if you hold RB you can target the limbs.

The THQ site doesn't have the manual any more (which I guess makes sense as 2K has the license) but I found a .pdf link for it: http://www.thesmackdownhotel.com/wwe-13/wwe13_360_onlineman.pdf

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

triplexpac posted:

I'd love for them to make a game that is fun to play vs the CPU. Something like Fire Pro, where it feels like a challenge to beat the CPU and it's not just reversing every single thing you do or doing stupid stuff like tearing apart the announce table for no reason.

I could care less what the graphics look like or what the story mode is like. I just want full freedom with customization and for Universe mode not to be trash. This year's wasn't terrible but it wasn't good. It was still pretty locked-down for no good reason.

When i say freedom I mean absurd freedom like having 30 PPVs in a month with 10 brands all participating in each. I wouldn't do it, but I want to be able to. You can't have a tri-branded show, IIRC, and that's a joke. And you can't make a womens' title as the main title, either. Minor complaints that actually limit you a lot if you wanted to have a truly huge universe.

But honestly, above all that? Cut the glitches, give us slick controls, and add in everything you've taken out from the past 10 games. There's not a whole lot of an excuse for them not to be there, depending on what it is. Can't stress it enough that graphics shouldn't matter if your gameplay is broken. Not to mention, if the game is too graphically intense and it makes MITB lag like crazy, you screwed something up.

I was impressed with Attitude Era mode, but realistically, you can only play that so much. it was authentic and well-done, but the game you're playing it in feels like a alpha/beta/demo. They rush these games and don't test them enough.

Edit: I'm stupid and I quoted the wrong person. I meant to quote the person who asked what we want to see in a new game. Laugh at me!

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I think for me the most important thing is they need to commit to this idea of "authentic" WWE experience and go in a more simulation type direction. The thing I always point to is there's no real difference in heel/face in game (barring the feet on the ropes ability) and very rarely does a match look like it does on TV. The audio and camera angles this year were cool admittedly, but I want to really feel like I can craft that in ring story that I want to. For example, you used to be able to argue with the ref on a 2 count; sure it didn't really do anything, but it was entertaining.

There was a fake description a few pages back and it sounded exactly like something I'd want. It had stuff like the ref breaking up guys when one's on the rope and the ability to attack your opponent early. I mean, if Wrestling Mprie was made competently it's pretty much what I'd want.

There's a lot of little things they can change to give the game more life, but I think 2K just needs to do a complete overhaul and start from scratch. A new movement engine and animation system would be a good start, but I admittedly don't know much of that end of it all. I'd like to see managers having an actual purpose instead of "oops let me get on the apron three times and then leave...". Let me give commands to the manager like "hey distract the ref so I can use a weapon..." or "hey get on the apron...".

But until then, I'll play some more FPWR...

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's sad how many features people want often end with "Like in previous games."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's the pack I've been playin with. Pack features dudes taken from other packs, with a lot of updated parameters and some new guys built from the ground up, as well as some fixed logic. MMA dudes aplenty.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
But I already have the far superior KungFu Pack though!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

as well as some fixed logic.

you bastard

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Having played wwe 13 for a few days now I dread the phrase "historical bonus objective". Usually it's easy enough but I have several times had to reach for the restart match button when i don't do it JUST RIGHT.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

The GIG posted:

It's sad how many features people want often end with "Like in previous games."

I agree, but it's equally sad that we have to wish for features that once existed and were removed in subsequent games. Most of the stuff should go without saying.

It's like getting a kid a bike for christmas and taking it away a year later. He's probably going to still want a bike, even if it isn't a new idea to him anymore.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Optimist with doubt posted:

Having played wwe 13 for a few days now I dread the phrase "historical bonus objective". Usually it's easy enough but I have several times had to reach for the restart match button when i don't do it JUST RIGHT.

Just put it on easy and breeze through.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I just want to fight in the concrete area by the stage 'like in old games' , and I bet the only reason they took it out was because they couldn't be bothered to animate the climb up/down animations!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My perfect wrestling game is as follows. I may have missed some things.
• The move sets and logic of King of Coliseum II.
• The Animations of All Star Pro Wrestling 3
• The Ability to hit strikes at all angles like in No Mercy, instead of forcing the canned animation.
• The ability to Irish whip a guy and follow up with a rebound attack. Free run has killed my ability to do this.
• The ability to hit all diving attacks on a body prone in all position, like in No Mercy.
• Separate animations for climbing to the top rope depending on the move you are doing, like in No Mercy.
• Everybody being capable of fighting each other, like in everything before the recent Smackdowns.
• Two counts.
• A match rating system like in King of Coliseum.
• The customization of the Smackdown games, with enough advancement that it actually looks like they made progress since 2006.
• Bug fixing.
• Modern graphics and presentation, or at least PS3/ 360 levels. I can settle for last gen, I have for years now.
• Non reflex based reversals.
• Memory based character creation limited by hard drive space, like in WWF Attitude?
• Alphabetized Character select applying to created characters.
• Everything else we already have, don’t take it away.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
On a whim I ripped the No Mercy soundtrack to my Xbox and have been playing it during WWE 13 matches. It has upped my enjoyment factor considerably and it makes me disappointed when I can't hold R after being knocked down and then hit a guy in the balls.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Tato posted:

On a whim I ripped the No Mercy soundtrack to my Xbox and have been playing it during WWE 13 matches. It has upped my enjoyment factor considerably and it makes me disappointed when I can't hold R after being knocked down and then hit a guy in the balls.

I hate the menu music for No Mercy

DIG DIGGITY DOG

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Oh the menu music is absolutely atrocious (SMACK-down Mall), I meant the in game BGM. It's funny, it's hard to think of any particular No Mercy background music off the top of your head, but when you hear one you're like "OH!" because you've heard it 300,000 times during the game.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

triplexpac posted:

I hate the menu music for No Mercy

DIG DIGGITY DOG

SOCKO

That menu music is insane. It's terrible but when my friends and I play the game, we sing that song for hours afterward. Terrible and catchy.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I never played No Mercy. Why is it objectively great and not just nostalgically great? Is there a simulator that is still playable somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Steve Vader posted:

I never played No Mercy. Why is it objectively great and not just nostalgically great? Is there a simulator that is still playable somewhere?

You could get an emulator and rom without looking too hard

A lot of it is nostalgia, but basically it felt like a solid basic wrestling sim. Matches had back and forth momentum, the AI was challenging. I played countless matches just against the CPU and had a lot of fun doing it.

Current games are too easy, they have so many bells & whistles but they don't do the core gameplay well. I get bored playing against the AI very quickly.

• Locked thread