Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Am I an arse for thinking that its annoying that people post about how much they love their kids and how much they mean to them? I have kids myself and I'd much prefer to simply tell them this than write something on facebook that they arent going to see anyway(unless they look years down the track when they have their own accounts and can actually read).

I guess a post here and there isn't too bad but I guess I'm kinda annoyed one guy can get a 100 likes and comments on how good a dad he is for writing how much he loves his daughter every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

BoonyPC posted:

Am I an arse for thinking that its annoying that people post about how much they love their kids and how much they mean to them? I have kids myself and I'd much prefer to simply tell them this than write something on facebook that they arent going to see anyway(unless they look years down the track when they have their own accounts and can actually read).

I guess a post here and there isn't too bad but I guess I'm kinda annoyed one guy can get a 100 likes and comments on how good a dad he is for writing how much he loves his daughter every week.

Who knows what these folks get out of posting and liking those sorts of things. Probably the same thing they get out of liking and sharing a bunch of other things that really don't have all that much to do with them personally, like the images 19 dead firefighters that they don't know or, you know, insert which ever unrelated group of people who died in or on a thing lately. It's like some sort of visual display to show just how much you're overflowing with wholesome compassion.

I love keeping up with people on facebook and enjoy seeing the photos, but the trite poo poo really gets to me. I have a friend who can't conceive and really wanted to. How the hell does she handle the overload of babies and children people post about?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

jidohanbaiki posted:

How the hell does she handle the overload of babies and children people post about?

Unbaby.me. It's brilliant. I used it for awhile, but then I started missing seeing some of my friends' kids (my friends are sane). Plus, I would scroll down and be like "who the hell posted that kitty picture? That's a cute kitty, but it's not THEIR kitty!" And there was always the risk of me not realizing it and saying something like "oooh when did you get a new kitty? So cute!" when it's a picture of their kid.

artdamage
Jun 26, 2013

BoonyPC posted:

Seeing the words 'Works at: full-time mummy' makes my blood boil.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

artdamage posted:

Similarly, people who write: 'went to school at: Harvard, studied: Rocket Science.'

No you didn't, you barely graduated high school and got fired from a bagel store. It's not witty or clever. You're dumb.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
In my experience the ones going on about loving their kids all the time tend to be really lovely, abusive parents. Like every other time someone goes on about what wonderful parents they are there's been some hosed up poo poo going on in the background.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Unbaby.me. It's brilliant. I used it for awhile, but then I started missing seeing some of my friends' kids (my friends are sane). Plus, I would scroll down and be like "who the hell posted that kitty picture? That's a cute kitty, but it's not THEIR kitty!" And there was always the risk of me not realizing it and saying something like "oooh when did you get a new kitty? So cute!" when it's a picture of their kid.

Looks like this made a whole lot of parents REAL ANGRY.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

One girl I used to go to school with ends all her posts about her son with "love him!" or "love my wee man!" which is annoying enough except half the time she misspells it...

That doesn't make sense! :mad:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have a friend who got engaged to a dude in the military and now every loving day it's her posting a '(whatever) more days before I become a military wife!' and poo poo like posting articles about military base life and all that. She's a super nice person and an old friend and all but goddamn what a weird thing to get obsessed over. She talks more about becoming an army wife than straight saying the dude's name.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Military significant others can be some of the most annoying people on the planet and what's even worse, they all hate each other so it's a constant stream of actual SO bullshit and "I hate military SO's" all blended together. It's definitely some sort of huge fixation

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Retter posted:

Military significant others can be some of the most annoying people on the planet and what's even worse, they all hate each other so it's a constant stream of actual SO bullshit and "I hate military SO's" all blended together. It's definitely some sort of huge fixation

Well you see, ALL military wives are slutty bitches waiting for their husbands to be deployed so they can steal other military wives' husbands. Except for the person stating this opinion. They are obviously the only good one. :v:

Edit: this is a serious opinion I have heard many many times from many different people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Retter posted:

So you're telling me after another, like, couple months of her going on about how she's going to be a military wife any day now I'm gonna be reading a bunch of poo poo about how everyone else she's friends with sucks?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

And there was always the risk of me not realizing it and saying something like "oooh when did you get a new kitty? So cute!" when it's a picture of their kid.

Unbaby.me will not let you comment on a post if its replaced the image, for exactly that reason. You're safe!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Same guy in both. I genuinely dislike this guy but goddamn the hours of entertainment I've gotten from laughing at the garbage he posts is worth it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't know about laughing. I'd be screaming for hours.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Well it is quite inconvenient not being able to own a woman any more. Trying to win over a girl is much worse than buying one from her dad.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Who even makes these abominations?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I read this a few times before I figured out why it was making my brain hurt

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

He is just pumping this poo poo out like there's no tomorrow

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Have the kid/little person sit on the shoulders of the middle guy, everyone loves to sit on shoulders. Save boxes for later box activities.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Huh, I didn't know there weren't enough boxes for everyone, I guess we're actually Mozambique, and all this time I thought we one of the richest nations in history :(

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Liberalism means realizing that equity doesn't always translate into equality, and Conservatism has a flawed view of reality. AGFbC.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thunderspanks posted:

Wait, is he arguing for the conservative side of that image?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was totally confused too when I saw it. I thought, well that left one isn't very good, but oh look, the right one everyone can see, hooray! How would anyone think that the one on the left is the good one? Plus it being called equality, on the left one their heights aren't equal, whereas on the right one they are so they are equal height. And who wouldn't put their kids on something tall so that they can see?

But then again I'm a dirty communist anti-american whatever.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The image isn't a pro-conservative image as far as I can tell but it is being shared by a pro-conservative site so therefore, to conservo-dude the image is pro-conservative. I'm guessing he doesn't really understand his own meme?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

thunderspanks posted:

I've seen that exact same image before except it was labeled "equality" and "justice". :psyduck:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Shannonmcn posted:

The image isn't a pro-conservative image as far as I can tell but it is being shared by a pro-conservative site so therefore, to conservo-dude the image is pro-conservative. I'm guessing he doesn't really understand his own meme?

Here, allow me to clarify this gentleman's views for everyone (also feel free to check my post history in this thread as he makes up 90% of my contributions. He just posts the most ignorant poo poo every single day.)

thunderspanks has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jul 8, 2013

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I know this girl through my best friend and she is legit weird as poo poo. She's been blocked from my news feed for at least two years, but for the sake of the thread I actually took a look at her page.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Is it kosher to talk about an idiot on FB here? I don't have screenshots but I do have a doozy of a person on my FB feed who I think would fit this thread.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
what a low effort catch phrase..Beep Beep

edit: I really hope she says that in real world conversations as well

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I know this girl through my best friend and she is legit weird as poo poo. She's been blocked from my news feed for at least two years, but for the sake of the thread I actually took a look at her page.

Is beep beep a new thing?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Toad on a Hat posted:

Is it kosher to talk about an idiot on FB here? I don't have screenshots but I do have a doozy of a person on my FB feed who I think would fit this thread.

Please share.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artdamage posted:

My cousin's is worse:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Flaggy posted:

Is beep beep a new thing?

It's just something she says all the time for everything. Basically she's a big fan of the Transformers movies and in her mind all the robots go beep beep, because they're cars. And no I'm not making that up, that's exactly how she explained it to me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Flaggy posted:

Please share.

I had this written up but I wanted to make sure it was okay to post before posting it. I had a person I knew from high school add me on FB and I was taken on a magic whirlwind journey of idiocy, drama and crazy.

Let's start out by the fact that, when she first friended me on Facebook, we hadn't talked in years but hey, why not? People change right? Besides, I like reconnecting with people. First thing I noticed was she was engaged. Congrats! Hopefully he makes her happy. I found out she had a daughter too, but never really talked about her except through meme form (like those "A daughter is forever" and those ones she shares from 1000 different god drat FB pages. Seriously her entire page is shared memes). Later I find out that she doesn't see her daughter because of "custody issues" and she's mad because the daughter doesn't speak English (which is ironic because her last name is Spanish, even though that's not her maiden name. Maybe she's still technically married to the guy? I have no idea). Anyway, minor things, not really my place to say anything but it's curious to note.

She breaks up with engaged guy, and about three days later meets another guy and sets her status to "engaged" with him. Seriously. That lasts a couple of months, they apparently break up and then meets yet another guy. I think you can guess what happens here. Same thing.

Inexplicably she moves from South Carolina where her daughter that she loves so much apparently lives and goes to Massachusetts. Finds a guy there, gets "engaged", and then gets pregnant, which causes her to set her status to "married" even though they're not legally married (I don't really care what a person's relationship status is btw; I just find it really odd to set it to that if you're not married. Or engaged. By this time she had been "engaged" at least five times, minimum). This is where the fun really starts because now she's apparently having identical twins! She even posts the sonogram to prove it! My bullshit sense is tingling because something seems wrong, and apparently someone else's does too because they said "Congratulations but the two fetuses don't really look alike". I decided to TinEye the image, and guess what pops up?

Pregnancy.com's fetus pictures, one being an identical twin and another a fraternal one. She had taken them, uploaded them to her FB page and and claimed them as hers. I gasped when I saw it because seriously? Who does that? Come to find out a couple weeks later, one of the fetuses "dies" and she needs a D&C procedure to remove it. It's here that I really don't understand. Pregnancy is a wonderful thing, and I still don't understand why she needed to lie and say she was having identical twins and then one of them dies. That's a terrible thing lie about. I'll concede that it's possible she did have them and one did die, but with everything else that's happened I honestly can't believe it. The "other" baby is born prematurely, but he survives thankfully and seems to be kind of healthy.

Anyway, in the midst of this her boyfriend/fiance beats her up while she's pregnant, but she doesn't press charges. I feel really bad for her on this. The guy is an actual scumbag, and he goes to jail anyway because the county/state decides to press charges. She sticks with him until she finds out that he's been cheating on her and took out a car title in her name. She then meets someone in Massachusetts, gets "engaged" again, and moves back to South Carolina. She continues to post (and tag) her ex's wall memes from different relationship pages about how he'll never get a girl as good as her, how when he comes crawling back she won't take him back and a bunch of other crap. Also she'll post a bunch of drama inducing things that brings his family members and friends into it while claiming she doesn't want to "start drama".

As I said before, her entire wall is memes/ecards dedicated to either her current "fiance", her son (whom she tags with his current FB account, even though he's like 1 year old), or her ex. Seriously. There's rarely anything else. She also weirdly calls her boyfriends/fiances/lovers "Daddy" for some strange reason in her very rare status updates. "Waiting for Daddy to come home" "Fixing dinner for Daddy" etc.

In her defense, though, it seems like she tries to be a good mom to this kid so maybe there's hope :unsmith:

Honestly, sorry about the text but I felt this sort of fit the thread. I really hope she gets her life together, but in the meantime, it's a fascinating study into the psyche of someone who is utterly broken. If this doesn't fit the thread though I'll take it down.

EDIT: I'm editing for clarification here and there.

Seth Pecksniff has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Jul 8, 2013

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
/\ That was a good read.

SpliffClavin has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jul 8, 2013

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
I think I'm going to have to make a checklist of all the horrible things this guy believes in, because at this point it's getting hard to keep track.

If you're wondering just who David Duke is (like I was), here's a link for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_duke

Yes, clearly this man would be PERFECT for the job of not killing/destroying the lives of minorities

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Pfft, FORMER Grand Wizard? If he was current, he might have a chance.

Seriously, what the gently caress?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Chello De Don posted:

I think I'm going to have to make a checklist of all the horrible things this guy believes in, because at this point it's getting hard to keep track.

If you're wondering just who David Duke is (like I was), here's a link for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_duke

Yes, clearly this man would be PERFECT for the job of not killing/destroying the lives of minorities

I cannot believe this isn't a sick practical joke. David Duke, of all people?!

Also hahaha at the "over a million Afghanis and Pakistanis would still be alive" as if David God drat Duke wouldn't just nuke all the non-white countries at the first opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

JT Smiley posted:

It's just something she says all the time for everything. Basically she's a big fan of the Transformers movies and in her mind all the robots go beep beep, because they're cars. And no I'm not making that up, that's exactly how she explained it to me.

Well, that's a more thought-out plot than any of the movies have ever had. :v:

• Locked thread