Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

si posted:

Yeah, that's what makes it so appealing. The flip side of course is that if I do the level grind over on Luclin, I can always /testcopy them back over should anything odd happen. I don't know that anything odd ever happens these days though.

You can't copy back from test to a live server if that's what you are asking. Your characters will be exactly as you left them on the Live server, no matter what you do with them after you have copied them to Test. As far as worrying about getting your characters wiped from Test, don't. There's nothing to worry about.

Speaking of the Test server. I've got the itch again and I am leveling a 3box team of Necro/Druid/Wiz. They are currently level 75 with about 1000 AA's. I think I am going to end up switching the Druid and Wizard out and going with a Necro/SK/Bard 3box at the appropriate level.

Is the offer to join the Luclin Redux guild still standing? I'd really like to not play this game completely by myself, and I don't want to play with the dregs of the Test community. I'm on as Corpsehugger/Sunnydelight/Rhaegar for the time being.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Sure, just send someone a tell.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
You can have Wiji's spot since he didn't listen to my frantic warnings and apped to my guild anyway :downs:

si
Apr 26, 2004
Any tips on which someones are real? I sent a few tells, but I'm pretty sure I was sending them to box chars.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

si posted:

Any tips on which someones are real? I sent a few tells, but I'm pretty sure I was sending them to box chars.

I should be on most of the day, since I'm stuck at home due to car problems. Shoot Adoriane a tell.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Just join gchat, all of us are always in there

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Oh man, a group of me and some friends got the Avatar of War down to 1%. At 3% he got got a lucky round, and his devastation of rallos on me and killed me. The red film is still covering my eyes. That would have completed all tier 1 named right there. Aahhhhhgh.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If I patch to go on test server, do I have to re patch every time I want to go back onto live?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Tai posted:

If I patch to go on test server, do I have to re patch every time I want to go back onto live?

There's only a few files that need to be patched and it takes all of 10 seconds for it download.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Tai posted:

Yes, it doesn't usually take long, though, barring some major change they're trying out on test.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I keep a separate install for live and one for test/beta.

Mostly so I don't have to do a bunch of repatching when I'm playing on beta and live, but I also use it for test when beta isn't going on.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Thanks for all the help Jet, you made returning to the game a whole lot easier.

The double XP is still going on, was supposed to have ended 4 hours ago, I'm assuming they'll finally cancel it when people get in to work on pacific time. I went from 2,000 AA's to over 8,500 during the bonus, now time to earn tens of millions by PLing people for 60-70k an hour and upgrade all my gear from T1 rof raid to T2, you will rue the day you ever hosed with me VoA nameds.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Am I reading that right in that you are saying you made 6.5K AA during the double exp weekend?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yep, I've been swarming Rathe Council chambers nonstop since it started, only slept twice for 4 hours each time since it began, I have a backpack full of 10 dose double XP pots so I pull the entire zone, pop all cooldowns to kill it and camp out while it respawns.

Nobody else tries to swarm it because it has mobs that root you but the trick is to just keep them out of line of sight from you until you're ready to stop and kill. I've never even seen another person in the zone with me but general chat is full of constant bitching between rangers/zerkers/SKs camp stealing and I can just sit back and laugh.

Over half the zone is still light blue at 100 too, it's higher level than kaesora library and has near equal amounts of mobs and it's completely ignored because of the rooting.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 8, 2013

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

Midnight City posted:

Yep, I've been swarming Rathe Council chambers nonstop since it started, only slept twice for 4 hours each time since it began

That sounds like the opposite of fun. :crossarms:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

It sorta is and sorta isn't, FV is run on a PL economy where you can't go more than a few minutes in general chat seeing people either selling PLs or wanting to buy them, they begin at 25k an hour for the worst geared/skilled people and go up to almost 100k an hour, that's per person, the PLer will usually have a full group of each person paying and the average is around 300k an hour for PLing people by swarming, HSing or decapping.

I really wanted to get in on it and decided to take advantage of the weekend as much as I could, but the second night in a rabid dog showed up at my house and we had to shoot the poor thing, I haven't even wanted to sleep since that happened.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks to all the folks in Luclin Redux who've been helping me out. The guides and such have been useful, but I definitely misinterpreted some, you guys have kept me running. Trying to learn this game 4 characters at a time is definitely problematic, the UI and such adds no help at all. So far it's been a ton of fun though, more fun than when I first played the game back in 99 or whenever the hell it was.

I'm right around 42 now and working on completing the Stone Hive achievement progression stuff. If anyone has tips or wants to join me and be awed by the cute, stupid newbee, let me know.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Speaking of which, I have that Defiant gear copied over for you. Catch me later on tonight.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Midnight City posted:

It sorta is and sorta isn't, FV is run on a PL economy where you can't go more than a few minutes in general chat seeing people either selling PLs or wanting to buy them, they begin at 25k an hour for the worst geared/skilled people and go up to almost 100k an hour, that's per person, the PLer will usually have a full group of each person paying and the average is around 300k an hour for PLing people by swarming, HSing or decapping.

I see people selling KL raid hard PL's for something like 200k/hr or more. What's the deal with those? Sucker born every minute or something or are they that much better exp?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Flarestar posted:

Speaking of which, I have that Defiant gear copied over for you. Catch me later on tonight.

Awesome.

Is there a list of level-locked content? I read Nagafen goes off-limits at 52. I'd like to try to hit some of that before I level past it on accident.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

si posted:

Awesome.

Is there a list of level-locked content? I read Nagafen goes off-limits at 52. I'd like to try to hit some of that before I level past it on accident.

Vox and Nagafen are the only things that come to mind.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yup, they thankfully didn't cap anything other than Vox and Naggy.

I did Naggy and Vox on two pairs of twinks, and it was really cool. On Vox I was pally+necro, on Naggy I was monk+ranger; both using a pair of healer+tank merc. Using mercenaries makes it really easy, and a tank mercenary will do 90% of the damage for you while being virtually invincible, although it's still cool as hell to do.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Sancho posted:

I see people selling KL raid hard PL's for something like 200k/hr or more. What's the deal with those? Sucker born every minute or something or are they that much better exp?

Those're the only Kaesora you can do at 100 reliably because they're slightly higher level mobs. They're also the Evilgamer Stamped Approval Swarm Here zone, because SKs finally figured out if they kept the best places secret, nobody else would swarm there due to all of the tagalong SKs staying wherever Evilgamer told them to.

Other better-than-KL zones at 100 in RoF raid gear:
- Grounds now that it's a hotzone
- HoT Library if Grounds is mega full
- Convorteum
- Even Warrens if it's empty and you have enough gear to kill fast enough with just melee attacks that you proc MC

On FV people probably use it because it's an instance and multiples can swarm it at once

Edit - After trying Rathe just now, I agree. Perfect swarm zone, so I'm not saying a word :3:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 8, 2013

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
I used the double XP weekend to get my mage and SK to 85, and was going to start using some of the plat I had on the live server to buy rustic wraps and /testcopy them over. It seems like my testcopy mules have all disappeared. Did SOE nerf test copy when I wasn't looking?

I was also looking to grind out some trade skills and lost all my tailoring stuff as well. Well can anyone set Smugatheist and Xantarr up with trade skill and rustic equipment?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Ante Christ posted:

I used the double XP weekend to get my mage and SK to 85, and was going to start using some of the plat I had on the live server to buy rustic wraps and /testcopy them over. It seems like my testcopy mules have all disappeared. Did SOE nerf test copy when I wasn't looking?

I was also looking to grind out some trade skills and lost all my tailoring stuff as well. Well can anyone set Smugatheist and Xantarr up with trade skill and rustic equipment?

I can't do the tradeskill stuff, but can do full sets of Glowing Reis, which is roughly equivalent, and not nearly as much of a pain to make. Adoriane in game.

lotor9530 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 9, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ante Christ posted:

Did SOE nerf test copy when I wasn't looking?

Working as of a few days ago for me.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

The KL 200k / hour rate is for someone who wants to be PL'd by themselves, they get more/faster XP because he PL'er doesn't invite more than them, but they have to offset it by paying him nearly the same he'd get with a full group, it's more convenient for the PL'er to not have to keep timestamps of 5 people's time when they got there/who paid/who's leaving, etc.

But it's also not an "AFK PL" meaning the person can't AFK, most people prefer the AFK style where they can just watch TV or whatever.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I hate what double xp weekends do to my sleep patterns. I spent much of the weekend beam kiting in Evantil - once you complete Evantil partisans you can get an instance that seems perfect for beam kiting - just pull every mob outside of the tree since none summon or root/snare. Round em up, beam em down, drop instance, rinse, repeat. At one point our guild had three instances running simultaneously, and got maybe 20 characters to 100 over the weekend.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Strangely it annoyed me a bit because it blew me through some content I was working through way too fast. I'm now about 9 levels up on these tasks just from killing the various trash mobs in the way before finishing them :v:

si
Apr 26, 2004
Ah, foiled, Test patched and MQ2 out of date. Any tips on handling that, or should I just not box quite the same for a bit?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

si posted:

Ah, foiled, Test patched and MQ2 out of date. Any tips on handling that, or should I just not box quite the same for a bit?

Unless you learn to find the offsets yourself, playing with MQ2 on Test is spotty at best. I'd learn to live without it. You can use isBoxer and cleverly set up hotkeys to achieve much of the results though, sans automation.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I last played in ~2002 and had a few 50s. Is there a goon presence on anything other than test? How many hours of /played does it take to get a decent max level single group character? Will I regret going with one of the classic solo classes (druid, necro, mage, beast) or should I go with a group oriented class (warrior, cleric, or ench)? Is the vast bulk of my time going to be soloing with mercs if I can only play during non peak times? (10am-4pm)?

I have a level 54 beastlord on tunare/the seventh hammer, but it looks like they seriously reduced the experience requirements to get back to that level - plus with the addition of mercs I don't know how advantageous playing a pet class is.

What tips do you guys have for a returning perma newb?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don't worry about starting new characters. With ZERO help from anyone you can be 50+ in a day very easily. All your old gear will be worthless compared to the Defiant gear that drops in every zone, and is very cheap to purchase as well, so don't worry about losing whatever gear you had back in the day (besides nostalgia purposes).

Definitely do not be scared to stick with one of the old school solo classes. In my opinion they are the most fun to play. If you want to relive your beastlord days, do that. If not, try something new. Whatever you find fun. I would personally stay away from Warrior/Cleric just because they are boring in my opinion and a mercenary will outperform them until way late in the game.

Finding groups at lower levels is very hard to do these days. You might want to look into joining a progression themed guild so you can try to find people in your level range. Progression guilds are made to progress through each expansion from Vanilla EQ to the latest expansion one by one. So if you find one that is progressing through Vanilla EQ/Kunark/Velious, then there should be a good amount of lower level players to group with.

There isn't much of a goon presence anywhere as far as I know. Theres a few left on the goon guild on the Test server. There's also the Luclin Redux guild that has a couple goons but that is mostly higher level (85+) characters.

You can also look into boxing (playing multiple accounts at once) if you are into that sort of thing.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 10, 2013

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're going to test, definitely box. No question about it. Even if you just have an AFK bardbox playing melody you still get an extra merc. Plus bard already compliments...every class so it's never a waste. Goes especially well with BST since it soothes your mana problems later and haste/overhaste is always welcome. I was doing T2 RoF and could either pet tank or merc tank about 80% of the named there. This was also before the pet nerf so now I'm not AS sure about that but most of named was luck of the draw in getting a bad round.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
For what it's worth a bunch of us in Luclin Redux are talking about starting up pseudo-progression characters. Not necessarily strict enforcement, but no boxing, artificially limiting our level, and going through the content as (mostly) intended. Thankfully now that a bunch of them have realized that rocketing straight for high level is really loving boring and you miss out on a ton of great content, they're wanting to go back and actually do it instead of just quitting like most people do at that point.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Flarestar posted:

For what it's worth a bunch of us in Luclin Redux are talking about starting up pseudo-progression characters. Not necessarily strict enforcement, but no boxing, artificially limiting our level, and going through the content as (mostly) intended. Thankfully now that a bunch of them have realized that rocketing straight for high level is really loving boring and you miss out on a ton of great content, they're wanting to go back and actually do it instead of just quitting like most people do at that point.

I'm doing this on my own anyhow, so I have absolutely no issue joining in. Only problem is my play time is extremely limited. I would totally drop in on your groups to do progression stuff if I'm welcome.

Are you planning to artificially control equipment as well? That's the main difference I would see in doing content as originally intended. If you go through the oldest of stuff, you'd have to stick to like trash/crafted equipment. I wouldn't really say that's a great idea as old EQ was f'ing brutal to the point of being unfun at times.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

http://eq.magelo.com/tradeskill/61

Here's another link for tradeskills that makes it even easier to level, everything's trivial is ranked along with an easy to read list of what reagents go into it, makes it super easy to see what else is out there if the bazaar doesn't have what the other guides tell you to use to level.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight City posted:

http://eq.magelo.com/tradeskill/61

Here's another link for tradeskills that makes it even easier to level, everything's trivial is ranked along with an easy to read list of what reagents go into it, makes it super easy to see what else is out there if the bazaar doesn't have what the other guides tell you to use to level.

Uh, viewing a list of 1,700 items 20 at a time to find the ones that are quick to skill up with is the exact opposite of easy. And since most of the skill up paths involve cultural armor, it's easy to look for a higher or lower tier of item by changing the drop.

The guides don't prioritize their skill up paths the same way I do, and they're missing the newest fletching, pottery and baking options, but are overall very good.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

You can search for things that you already have that can be used for reagents and it will automatically refresh giving you possible recipes, even if it didn't it takes all of 15 seconds to go from trivials at 1 to trivials at 200, the middle of it. I found it very helpful and easier to plan things out than someone writing out giant paragraphs of one to two things you should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005

si posted:

I'm doing this on my own anyhow, so I have absolutely no issue joining in. Only problem is my play time is extremely limited. I would totally drop in on your groups to do progression stuff if I'm welcome.

Are you planning to artificially control equipment as well? That's the main difference I would see in doing content as originally intended. If you go through the oldest of stuff, you'd have to stick to like trash/crafted equipment. I wouldn't really say that's a great idea as old EQ was f'ing brutal to the point of being unfun at times.

Fairly sure we're looking at starting around the Depths of Darkhollow era, so not really an issue.