Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, was kind of hoping my game would start out with me as some rear end in a top hat nobody in a POS ship and I find myself at the "end" of the game in micromanagement hell as I send thousands of people off to their deaths. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm doing the third main plot mission, Highway Patrol, after doing the Argon Peacekeeper start, and the Terran Tokyo showed up. The Argon ships are attacking it but despite me waiting a long, long time its health is staying at 93%. Is this just some weird bug? (Also it's very laggy with all the particle effects and ships)

Edit: Does that automatic advanced satellite deployer mod charge your account for each satellite? What do satellites do anyway? And how does the Cheat pack from the OP work?

Nvm about my first question, turned out I wasn't close enough

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 7, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I figure out what some of the mods in the pack in the OP do? The files are cut and dry, but the archives are pretty hit or miss since some of them have vague or German names.

e:Oh, looks like the libraries for most of this stuff to run. Fair enough. Should I be worried that the delete old files script is failing to run each time, or is that just for cleanup when you've got a new version installed?

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 7, 2013

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Farecoal posted:

What do satellites do anyway?
Satellites are literally no different from any other ship, except that they're cheap, fragile, and immobile. You need to have at least one ship (or satellite) in a sector to be able to see what's happening there, to view current prices in its stations, and to remotely order ships from a shipyard. Your traders will also make use of the price data, which is one of the main reasons for covering the universe with satellites.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Blast of Confetti posted:

Ah, was kind of hoping my game would start out with me as some rear end in a top hat nobody in a POS ship and I find myself at the "end" of the game in micromanagement hell as I send thousands of people off to their deaths. :v:

No, that sounds like X3 alright. Just make sure you're playing either XRM or modded, the vanilla game is pretty bad at outfitting hundreds of ships at a time.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

A bit of a strange question, but do I need to install TC as well as AP? Its just that AP is 7gb and TC is 10gb and I'm going to be forever installing things. :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Okay, overnight my traders earned me over 110 million credits with no losses. Thanks, EST!

Now, it's time to buy a carrier. Is there any mods that add some new ones?

e: Also, how do I use the commision ship stuff I read about in Improved Races? I want to deck my new carrier out without the hassle of finding flak arrays and such. My Improved races thing in the AL plugins has - Locked - next to it. Does that mean it's inactive?

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 7, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really liking this game but loving hell it's giving me flashbacks to Dwarf Fortress or like trying to understand Minecraft redstone without a wiki. Why is it that CoD games keep you pinned in to a hand holding tutorial for a quarter of an hour but these complex as poo poo games dump you in the middle of nowhere with the equivalent of $5 pinned to your shirt and some basic directional controls? :v:

e: Oh wait, I think I remember some kind of tutorial in X3:TC. Been awhile since I played it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

WMain00 posted:

A bit of a strange question, but do I need to install TC as well as AP? Its just that AP is 7gb and TC is 10gb and I'm going to be forever installing things. :(

That doesn't take into account the fact that the majority of the game assets are shared, so installing both wont actually be 17GB. But no, you don't need both installed, but you might as well since installing one will install most of the files for the other.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Falken posted:

e: Also, how do I use the commision ship stuff I read about in Improved Races? I want to deck my new carrier out without the hassle of finding flak arrays and such. My Improved races thing in the AL plugins has - Locked - next to it. Does that mean it's inactive?
The option in AL plugins is just for opening the main IR configuration menu. "Locked" doesn't mean anything at all AFAICT. There's a separate keybind for "Open IR Comm Menu", or something to that effect. From there the order ships option will let you choose a shipyard and configure loadouts. FYI you're still going to have to find flak arrays; weapons and heavy shields are the two things IR won't order for you. Also I wouldn't use it for capital ships anyway, since it takes some time for a ship to be "built" through IR and for M1/M2s it's way longer than it'd take to outfit it yourself.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

That doesn't take into account the fact that the majority of the game assets are shared, so installing both wont actually be 17GB. But no, you don't need both installed, but you might as well since installing one will install most of the files for the other.

Lol yeah, I see your point after just installing TC afterwards. ^_^

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Falken posted:

Okay, overnight my traders earned me over 110 million credits with no losses. Thanks, EST!

Now, it's time to buy a carrier. Is there any mods that add some new ones?

You have to bind and open the "Advanced races comm menu" to access it. I don't recommend it for larger craft, since commissioning a carrier takes I think 2+ in-game hours. I only use it for fighters which take 15 minutes.

There are probably mods that add new ones, but I've never used them. There are plenty of options already! For the vanilla game, the best carrier options are to either go straight for the Argon Colossus or go for the hybrid Split Panther which is juuuust fast enough to tool around in as your main ship but also holds 20 fighters.

If you're wanting to equip it, use either Teladi Information Service or the 'gopher' method in the OP. It's pretty hassle-free.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Er....the SA Compilation Scrip zip seems to be in German. :stare:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The file names are, maddeningly, but in-game they're all in english.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, now I have 220 million, and I'm going to start spending out. So, to start with I've taken a liking to the Argon Cerberus. Going to get a couple of those, as well as an Argon Colossus.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Anyone have any experience with installing mods/scripts for this game on a Mac?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

So I got a mistral, fitted it then ran EST from ore belt. Excluded the hostile zones. Ran it overnight, come back to EST saying idle and the mistral parked with 60 percent hull at the teladi station at grand exchange. Made no money. Did the same thing again last night after giving it MARS and guns. Ended up at the same place with the same status but this time after making 12 mil. I have to manually order it to jump back over to the other side of the galaxy, it refuses to start back up with EST until I do even if I set home sector as grand exchange. Wtf?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

So I got a mistral, fitted it then ran EST from ore belt. Excluded the hostile zones. Ran it overnight, come back to EST saying idle and the mistral parked with 60 percent hull at the teladi station at grand exchange. Made no money. Did the same thing again last night after giving it MARS and guns. Ended up at the same place with the same status but this time after making 12 mil. I have to manually order it to jump back over to the other side of the galaxy, it refuses to start back up with EST until I do even if I set home sector as grand exchange. Wtf?

Sadly, EST pilots don't repair their own ships until they level up. The creator of that script, and others like CODEA, likes to have pilots that get better with experience.

EST Manual posted:

Apprentice
The apprentice trades one ware in indicated sector and the adjacent sectors, which are one jump away. The apprentice is carrying out his probationary period in your enterprise and doesn't get a salary during this time.
Courier
The auxiliary courier trades three wares within three jumps from his central sector. Furthermore, he can buy or sell goods to Equipment Docks and Trade Stations. The auxiliary courier is paid a wage of 20 credits per mizura flown, paid after each trip.
Supplier
The courier trades five wares within five jumps from his central sector. He will equip his ship with more speed and agility, and Fighter Drones if they can be bought in the current sector. The courier is paid a wage of 25 credits per mizura flown, paid after each trip.
Trader
The freighter pilot 2nd class trades seven wares within ten jumps from his central sector. He can use a Jump Drive if one is installed. The freighter pilot 2nd class is paid a wage of 30 credits per mizura flown, paid after each trip.
Dealer
The freighter pilot 1st class trades ten wares within fifteen jumps from his central sector. He also monitors the trade radio traffic and does not enter any sectors with enemy ships or pirates. The freighter pilot 1st class is paid a wage of 35 credits per mizura flown, paid after each trip.
Major dealer
The freighter pilot can trade all wares within twenty jumps from his central sector. Furthermore, he keeps his ship in good condition and repairs it at a shipyard when needed. The freighter pilot is paid a wage of 40 credits per mizura flown, paid after each trip.

Edit: I think that manual is slightly out of date, because I'm pretty sure my Major Dealers can do trades within 50 jumps of their home sector. The repair part should still be accurate.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 7, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

What's a good anti ship missile for me to use on my Colossus? I want to dedicate the guns to flak arrays. I was thinking Firestorm, but the splash damage might hurt friendlies in the area.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Thanks Disco but why would est not start at grand exchange when docked there with full health and set as home sector? Why would it refuse to jump unless I did a manual order even with 300 energy cells?

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Ugh, those stupid trading scripts. Got so sick of my traders just not working, or when they did work, suddenly stalling for unknown reasons....

The scripts have some great ideas, like the leveling and such, but with the way x3 is set up it's just too complex and too poorly executed to be worth the effort.

So use OK Traders instead! http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=336509&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Instead of dealing with trader levels and getting all the right stuff just the right way and all that jazz, you select a ship and enable OK trader. It'll trade. In fact, it'll buy all the crap it needs (shields, jumpdrive, trade software etc) at the nearest station so you don't have to worry about it. All you need is the cash and the ship. Seems at least as efficient as high level EST/CAG at making $$$, too.

Honestly, blows EST/CAG out of the water, at the cost of maybe a little immersion? Whatever. I'll take it :P

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything that makes the freight and trade screens less of a nightmare? I can't tell what I have, what's installed, what I can't afford, I have to manually click through everything just to get the basics of what I have and what I need.

e:Also how do I get a custom ship using Improved Races? I hit the button, select a shipyard, then there's nothing else I can click on. The lack of documentation for all this stuff is really starting to bug me since all the mod authors give you is a basic explanation.
e2: Got it, needed remote trading software since you can't open those menus while docked.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 8, 2013

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
It should be stressed how crummy and unrewarding the plot quests are in AP. I mean really bad. A lot of frustrating and boring resource gathering and a very few easily won skirmishes.

It's flabbergasting to me how badly they dropped the ball. The Xenon L bit is merely emblematic of the problem. And when the vanilla plot ended I actually didn't even realize it until I looked online.

I'm guessing there aren't any worthwhile story mods either since there aren't any in the OP.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Killgore Trout posted:

It should be stressed how crummy and unrewarding the plot quests are in AP. I mean really bad. A lot of frustrating and boring resource gathering and a very few easily won skirmishes.

It's flabbergasting to me how badly they dropped the ball. The Xenon L bit is merely emblematic of the problem. And when the vanilla plot ended I actually didn't even realize it until I looked online.

I'm guessing there aren't any worthwhile story mods either since there aren't any in the OP.

The X games are sandboxes with a story thrown in as an afterthought. They're like the exact opposite of Freelancer, which was a story with a fake-sandbox built around it. The point is they don't really care about the plot quests because the more narrative you build into the world, the less sandboxy it becomes. Also it's hard to put much effort into a series of plot-missions when the player might just show up with a couple of destroyers and breeze through them with ease.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

Alchenar posted:

The X games are sandboxes with a story thrown in as an afterthought. They're like the exact opposite of Freelancer, which was a story with a fake-sandbox built around it. The point is they don't really care about the plot quests because the more narrative you build into the world, the less sandboxy it becomes. Also it's hard to put much effort into a series of plot-missions when the player might just show up with a couple of destroyers and breeze through them with ease.

You make a lot of valid points. I just still find it lamentable.

Without tools like teladi information exchange, I don't think I could have gutted out "bring us tons of specific missiles". Only to be quickly hit with "bring us hundreds of thousands of food" shortly after.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to grab a Mercury just for tooling around with trader stuff while I save up for a Mistral, just something to get me more used to all this. The problem is the Shipyard in Argon Prime doesn't have any. :v: What gives? The wiki said that every Argon shipyard has some type of it. I'm running XRM, which I think is what made them disappear and I have no clue if they've just been moved or what.

e:Think I found the problem. Sounds like he made some civilian shipyards and military shipyards.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 8, 2013

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

I'm trying to grab a Mercury just for tooling around with trader stuff while I save up for a Mistral, just something to get me more used to all this. The problem is the Shipyard in Argon Prime doesn't have any. :v: What gives? The wiki said that every Argon shipyard has some type of it. I'm running XRM, which I think is what made them disappear and I have no clue if they've just been moved or what.

XRM moves all non-military ships (mainly the transports) to civilian showrooms. I think there's on in Home of Light, you should be able to get a Mercury there.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e:Think I found the problem. Sounds like he made some civilian shipyards and military shipyards.

After playing with Improved Races (in the OP) for the first time over the weekend, I now consider it an absolutely necessary mod for exactly this reason. Buying and outfitting ships in X3 is a huge pain in the rear end and is not fun in any way shape or form. Being able to commission ships with loadouts for an additional fee is amazing.

Also, man I wish this game were less buggy. About half the time when it's working correctly it is incredibly fun, but the other half of the time I feel like I end up losing a lot of hard work because of stupid AI. I now understand why out of sector combat is generally preferable to in sector combat, but :smith: that's no fun.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I finally tracked it down and I am going to use the IR ship builder. I just had to figure out why the hell my haulers weren't showing up at the Argon Prime shipyard :v:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I installed the SA pack and everytime I start a new game I get a bunch of messages to the effect of this:
Is this something I can fix or is it a hunt down new versions of every mod that's throwing an error and redownload?

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

XTimmy posted:

So I installed the SA pack and everytime I start a new game I get a bunch of messages to the effect of this: "For this version of the Military Transport Libraries version 3.7.00 or higher has to be installed!
Is this something I can fix or is it a hunt down new versions of every mod that's throwing an error and redownload?

That error message is unfortunately missing an important comma between "Transport" and "Libraries". Apparently the Military Transport script (Militärtransport) now requires version 3.7 of the support libraries (Befehlsbibliothek). The thread on the X3 forums for these scripts still links to the old versions, so you'll need to get 3.7 from the author's website. It's in German but just scroll down and click download.

Tracking this poo poo down would be easier if that (prolific, important, otherwise apparently sane) modder hadn't gotten himself banned from the forums somehow :cripes:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
That fixed that, and in fixing that I figured out how to fix some other poo poo so that's good. Still wish there was a "skip boring rear end travel time" button but it wouldn't be the X series if I couldn't go to autopilot, make dinner and still only be halfway though my trip.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Alchenar posted:

The things is though the spent a lot of time and money on engineering a system that has a fairly robust mission system. Then spent gently caress-all money on actually using it. The games have been out for so long that just throwing 2-3 summer interns out it each year for the past 10 years could have given us hundreds of missions by now.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

XTimmy posted:

Still wish there was a "skip boring rear end travel time" button but it wouldn't be the X series if I couldn't go to autopilot, make dinner and still only be halfway though my trip.

Just making sure- you do know about seta time compression and jumpdrives, right?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

4 of my EST Traders have decided to have a slumber party inside a Teladi Trading Station in Freedom's reach. No matter what I do, I can't get them to go back to trading. No damage to any of the ships and I am loaded so they haven't run out of funds. My other EST traders (3 of them) are getting along fine. Those 4 traders have different home sectors and have earned me a pretty penny each.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

The usual culprit for me has been enemy sightings. Until I blacklisted Grand Exchange and a handful of other sectors that get neverending Xenon incursions, I would constantly be finding my CAGs stalled out at stations there, and a pile of messages in my log saying that they were avoiding enemies and would check again in 5 mizuras. It doesn't help that CAGs, even max-level ones, have a baffling tendency to try to slooowly dock at the closest station instead of just jumping out when they're attacked.

IIRC Freedom's Reach is a Pirates sector, but also has that plot-related neutral station in it, so it might be causing some kind of weirdness if you're hostile to the pirates. I would try relocating the traders manually, adding that sector to their blacklist, and restarting them.

There's no simple global sector blacklist menu for CAG/EST, but you can use the admin menu to broadcast changes to all your traders at once. Maybe you already know how to do this but it was pretty un-intuitive for me, so: First set up the blacklist on one trader and save its configuration. Then open up the global CAG or EST administration menu (using the keybind, not through a ship's console), load the named config you just saved, set the "data filter" to ignore everything except sector blacklist settings, and hit "broadcast to all colleagues". That should copy just the sector blacklist from the saved config to all your running traders.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'll try that.

In other news, My fleet is getting bigger. TCI CV-01 Glasgow (Colossus), TCI CV-02 Kelso (Cerberus), TCI C-01 Wallingford (Centaur), TCI D-01 Bristol (Titan).

Bonus spergy cookie for whoever gets how I named my ships.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I liked to give my ships culture-style names

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

I liked to give my ships culture-style names

I really hate the concept of a content free post, but this is awesome and you're awesome.

RIP Iain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
Has anyone tried Combat Mod 4.0? I'm going to try it but what does everyone else think about it?

• Locked thread