Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My NRA member, Republican voting, steak-eating father, who sometimes shares LL101 pictures on Facebook, does yoga.

LL101 doesn't even know its own audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

Anyone know the story behind this?

I believe the bottom one was during a pride parade in Seattle when one of the people there attacked a protester.

Forgive the source:
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/seattle-gay-pride-marchers-viciously-beat-christian-street-preacher-video

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And, of course, near everyone, left or right, has agreed 'yea it's unacceptable to beat up a dude for holding a lovely sign and saying poo poo'.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dingy dimples posted:

I tracked down the top one a few months ago. An organization called Defend Life was arrested and most of them spent the night in jail for protesting abortion near a Maryland highway without a permit. Their signs were of the standard, awful, cherry cobbler late-term abortion variety. It's hard to find any sources that aren't pro-life blogs so it's hard to get any other synopsis of the events, but in all fairness spending the night in jail sucks no matter who you are.

No clue on the bottom one.

This seems to be the bottom one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utyiN7g0TkE

Two anti-gay Christian guys showed up to a pride event with signs. They get hassled, one of them gets their sign snatched and while he tries to keep hold of his sign pole, gets punched in the head by a fat guy until the crowd breaks it up. The cops show up immediately and arrest the fat guy.

Guess their issue with the situation is that the guy was only charged with misdemeanor assault?

quote:

TheBlaze has learned that Queree was booked on a misdemeanor assault charge, sent to King County Jail June 30, and released the same day (bail was set at $1,000), the records office of the King County Prosecuting Attorney confirmed Friday.

- edit Oh, they're mad that the guy isn't getting charged with a hate crime

some stupid rear end in a top hat posted:

According to reports, two men face misdemeanor assault charges. It seems to me, others could have easily faced additional charges, but I kept asking myself, what would the headlines look like and what would the charges (or at least the potential charges) be if this were a religious gathering and two gay men offering zero resistance were assaulted and harassed this way? What if this had happened at one of Pastor Ken Hutchinson's events? Or at a National Organization for Marriage event and a religious crowd had bullied and assaulted gay men for holding signs saying "gay is good" or "Religion is a fraud" AND the men/women doing the assaulting/harassing made continual references to their sexuality before doing so. Do you think hate crime charges might be warranted?

I could be wrong, but if what I'm reading here is correct, those who participated in the destruction of the sign, threatened these men with harm, or physically assault them should be charged under the hate crime statute.

I had one colleague say that these protestors were jerks for being there and that the signs they had or shirts they wore were "fighting words." That's nonsense, at least from what we see and hear in the video. If those are fighting words, then ANY disagreement could be so construed. I also heard, "well, they're at a pride parade so they're trying to get attention." Again, so what? That's what a protest is. People protest where they can highlight their issue, provide contrast, or simply find cameras and people. These guys weren't disrupting a funeral they were simply expressing their religious beliefs with a sign.

"But a jury in Seattle would agree they deserved it," my colleague observed.

Maybe so, but if so, Seattle is not the tolerant town it claims to be. What good is it to celebrate tolerance or self-control if you can only stop yourself from attacking someone if you agree with them and their beliefs don't offend you?

I should note that while the video shows vile behavior, it is relatively limited. There are thousands of people at the parade and only a handful infringing on the rights of these men or cheering on those who are doing so.

For the record, I am not convinced it's a good idea to categorizing crime by evil intent category. I believe assault is assault. If you're punching my face because you hate my religion, my sexuality, or you're just in a bad mood, the crime and punishment should be for punching my face.

:laugh:

http://mynorthwest.com/194/2308162/Intolerance-at-the-Pride-Parade-Where-are-the-hate-crime-charges

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 6, 2013

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Guilty Spork posted:

Man, whoever does this LL101 thing really, really isn't a fan of citing sources, much less putting them into context.

Context is for pussies and communists.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
No lie, during the brouhaha over Benghazi and "not calling it a terrorist attack" I had an acquaintance tell me context didn't matter so long as it made Obama look bad.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The best part of LL101 is its ability to take two superficially related things and twist a specific difference between them into something you should be outraged about.

There's yoga in one panel, and "tebowing" in another. The binding factor between them is that both subjects take place in a school. Never mind that they are likely completely different schools in completely different areas with completely different laws, but one school somewhere is offering to teach kids yoga, and another somewhere else is supposedly banning "tebowing". In reality, the school has banned post-game prayers. Prayer doesn't conform with post-game proceedings, and the prayers were exclusively Christian in nature.

It's baffling.

But, in LL101's defense, they do cite certain things if you locate the image on their website. That doesn't stop the related links from leading to blogs or conservative news sites, and it certainly doesn't stop LL101 from horribly misinterpreting the material they're macroing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Scratch Monkey posted:

To these guys yoga is a sort of gateway drug to Hinduism (aka Satanism) and if your kids do the exercises they'll be told to do evil things like "look inward" and "breath" which, I think we'll all agree, is the same thing as denying Christ.

I went to a Christian college, so they required us to go to a chapel service at one point during freshman year. The one I happened to attend featured a skit by a group of students about Satan speaking to his minions, one of which reported great success in spreading Hinduism throughout southern Asia. I really regret that I didn't make a fuss about how abominable that was.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Sir Rolo posted:

The Egyptian constitution has very little to do with why Morsi was tossed out.

It's really ironic the picture for this one is a baby, because you'd have to be a literal child to think the events in Egypt mean you could throw a president out of office through the combined efforts of your 10 other racist friends.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's really ironic the picture for this one is a baby, because you'd have to be a literal child to think the events in Egypt mean you could throw a president out of office through the combined efforts of your 10 other racist friends.

Also isn't the first thing the coup did was to suspend the constitution?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

miscellaneous14 posted:

There's also the whole overturning the majority's vote by having a bunch of guns and some protesters while covering it up with the fig-leaf of constitutionality. Seems like a Teabaggers's wet dream.

EDIT: Oops, thought this was the Freep thread.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 7, 2013

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Sardine Wit posted:

Also isn't the first thing the coup did was to suspend the constitution?

Yeah, and it was Morsi's faction that drafting up the new constitution anyway, and it was going to enshrine both his own political power as well as have a pro-Islamic fundamentalist slant.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

From what I understand right after the revolution both the military and then the MB did their best to position themselves to write the new constitution in a way that provided them maximum political leverage. Morsi effectively won that fight. The rational behind ousting him and suspending the current constitution is to try once more to write one that's a bit more inclusive of all Egyptians. We'll see if that actually happens.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

From what I understand right after the revolution both the military and then the MB did their best to position themselves to write the new constitution in a way that provided them maximum political leverage. Morsi effectively won that fight. The rational behind ousting him and suspending the current constitution is to try once more to write one that's a bit more inclusive of all Egyptians. We'll see if that actually happens.

While this is kinda true, this still makes it obvious why the fantasy of constitution as magic government spellbook is dumb.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Rolo posted:

The Egyptian constitution has very little to do with why Morsi was tossed out.

Yes, the reason Mohammed Morsi was removed from power is because he ignored the constitution that is so beloved by the Egyptian people, as it was signed into law by the countries great and noble founding father, Mohammed Morsi, in December.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 7, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, the reason Mohammed Morsi was removed from power is because he ignored the constitution that is so beloved by the Egyptian people, as it was signed into law by the countries great and noble founding father, Mohammed Morsi, in December.

You're ignoring the premise that LL101 views the constitution as holy, unchanging script.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You're ignoring the premise that LL101 views the constitution as holy, unchanging script.

Well, the Constitution is the inerrant word of the Holy Founding Fathers. :freep:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Welp guys, as this video from 2011 shows us: time to pack it in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HqHSkYG-Y It's almost certainly been linked here before (how could it not be) but jesus christ.

The clues were (allegedly) in front of us the whole time. How could we have (allegedly) missed them?

It takes almost 8 whole minutes to even mention Soros :effort:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

myron cope posted:

Welp guys, as this video from 2011 shows us: time to pack it in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HqHSkYG-Y It's almost certainly been linked here before (how could it not be) but jesus christ.

The clues were (allegedly) in front of us the whole time. How could we have (allegedly) missed them?

I love this, thank you. I haven't laughed that hard in ages. So much of it assumes that the person watching shares the maker's worldview, i.e. 'being friends with Pakistani people is automatically bad. Travelling to Pakistan for any reason is also automatically bad. Talking to smart intellectuals like Edward Said who know a great deal about a problem you should be investigating is bad' and so on and so on. Absolutely incredible.

Very soothing music, too.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

myron cope posted:

I love the implication that filling out a grade school registration form is all it takes to change citizenship. Immigration crisis solved!

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
And apparently, you can be President of Harvard Law Review without having attended Harvard! I love how these cranks keep harping on school records, as if he's not done anything since college.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

myron cope posted:

Oh man guys, Obama's parents met in a RUSSIAN language class! You know, RUSSIAN!

COMMUNISM!!!

:ussr:

e: hahaha "Place of Birth: ALLEGEDLY Hawaii...Birth Certificate: Unavailable"

e2: Man they really like that "Barry Soetero" stuff

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 8, 2013

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh man guys, Obama's parents met in a RUSSIAN language class! You know, RUSSIAN!

COMMUNISM!!!

:ussr:

I'm not even halfway in and this is getting awesome. You've struck a vein of hilarious lunacy, my friend.

e: hahaha "Place of Birth: ALLEGEDLY Hawaii...Birth Certificate: Unavailable"

I was work friends with a republican awhile back who (we had pretty good debates, although he would fall into many of these traps) one day decided that the czar thing was too much and was evidence of some kind of magical unamerican sentiment from the president. When I proved to him beyond a shadow of a doubt that every recent president had them and used the same term, it somehow still upset him. Seems like there are some people who grew up in the 50s have some kind of magical off switch in their brains for anything that is at all russian.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
He CAME INTO CONTACT with Marxist literature???? :aaaaa:

He better wash his hands, he might have caught the commie!

(But in all seriousness the fact that this video paints the HUAC as a completely legitimate endeavor tells you all you need to know about it)

e: Dear god this thing hits every single buzzword. MARX ALINSKY BILL AYERS ACORN BARRY SOETORO :derp:

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 8, 2013

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

It's barely nicked, they will convict.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
And for good measure: A good macro

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Defenestration posted:

And for good measure: A good macro

In what context did you uncover this bizarre thing?

E: Oh no, boys putting on bikini tops. My friends and I never did that in middle school to make fun of my sister and her friends.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 8, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It is indeed sad that prisoners get free access to healthcare while the elderly and our nation's other most needy people are forced to go without. A Good Macro.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Sometime in the near future:

quote:

Good old Sheriff Joe has done it again

They asked for it and they got it

See what Sheriff Joe has done this time

Sheriff Joe is helping the elderly pull themselves up by their bootstraps with his tent city retirement home and sweatshop,

see granny work a 12 hour shift to make license plates for pennies.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Hey if granny didn't want to do the time she shouldn't have done the... getting old. Thing.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

quote:

Good old Sheriff Joe has done it again

Is it bad that I instinctually start to feel repulsion as soon as I read the first four words? Even when I know it's just a parody?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:sigh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Call me crazy but when I see this I think "We need to treat our elderly better" not "We need to treat our prisoners worse." Though that's not the intended message obviously.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What does constitutionality have to do with that stupid picture

My brain hurts

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 8, 2013

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Fun Fact: Not all Islamic societies are Saudi Arabia!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guilty Spork posted:

Not all Islamic societies are Arabic either.

(but you don't see Islamophobes particularly caring about that)

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Guilty Spork posted:

Also that's just a person hiding under a sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Here's a new (to me) "government is bad" one:

facebook posted:

From my friend Suede: A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Montana when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

Bud looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3® cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo. The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany ...
Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.
Finally, he prints out a full-colro, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud. He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Congressman for the U.S. Government", says Bud.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required," answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep.... Now give me back my dog."