Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Jusupov posted:

It's a good idea once you've fought your way partway through it and die to some bullshit boss doing twice your hp in damage.

Yup. Or.. leaving the dungeon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Metrohunter posted:

I haven't seen anyone give a compelling argument for bows and I haven't really tried using them in depth yet to see if they're decent or not. Initial impressions suggest no.

The compelling argument is finding a blue or purple one that way outclasses everything else you've got. They're serviceable. They're the between weapon as far as speed/damage, combo generation, and length of time necessary to aim your special.

I think the big thing boomerangs have going for them is that you can throw and immediately dodge while the boomerang continues to do damage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I'm gonna set up a server wit ha friend. What are the big things that cause crashes right now so I can tell him what to avoid so I'm not resetting my server every ten minutes?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm gonna set up a server wit ha friend. What are the big things that cause crashes right now so I can tell him what to avoid so I'm not resetting my server every ten minutes?

Sprint the ranger skill, users chosing to exit game while connected, instead of going back to the start menu.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wonder why Cubeworld got super-slammed by DDOSes and still doesn't have a functioning store days out while Starbound managed to sell like two million dollars worth of preorders problem-free. I would think that idiot reddit/4chan hate of VIRAL MARKETING would apply to Starbound too.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Cube World in a nut shell:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

I wonder why Cubeworld got super-slammed by DDOSes and still doesn't have a functioning store days out while Starbound managed to sell like two million dollars worth of preorders problem-free. I would think that idiot reddit/4chan hate of VIRAL MARKETING would apply to Starbound too.

Well they already went through the release of Terraria right? I'd imagine the experience from that helped a bit.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Well they already went through the release of Terraria right? I'd imagine the experience from that helped a bit.

Starbound and Terraria are not related at all outside of having one shared artist. They are made by different companies.

Also, Starbound has nothing to download yet, its just a paypal page for pre-order.

I'm still convinced it is one of the youtube super stars that is throwing a fit that they didn't get an early review copy so they can make that sweet ad-revenue. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 8, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
^^ Starbound has nothing to download yet but by the same token you literally can't even register on wollay's site 99.9% of the time due to server outages from DDOS, nevermind buy/download the game. ^^

7c Nickel posted:

In addition to what Enzer said, Terraria was also released through Steam rather than on an indie sales thing or through Amazon.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 8, 2013

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What do you other water mages like using as your weapon? Staff or Wand? The AoE tornadoes are pretty great but I just switched over to a wand and having AoE healing on the ground for a few seconds while I deal like 34 damage a shot is pretty nice too

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
you can also middle-click on a bracer and get that equipped also.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Danith posted:

you can also middle-click on a bracer and get that equipped also.

You can wear two bracers. Can you mix and match with wands?

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What do you other water mages like using as your weapon? Staff or Wand? The AoE tornadoes are pretty great but I just switched over to a wand and having AoE healing on the ground for a few seconds while I deal like 34 damage a shot is pretty nice too

I prefer Bracelets, although I'm not sure what the best weapon for water mages is.

It's just fun throwing fireballs like Goku I guess :shobon:

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 8, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The thing about bracelets is they let you punch magic at people and there is no better way to magic at people than by punching them.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The AI spawning in this game leads to some interesting situations sometimes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Move along nothing to see there. Certainly not a skeleton boning a green dog boning a bee. Nope that's not happening at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Some dumb idiot posted:

I prefer Bracelets, although I'm not sure what the best weapon for water mages is.

It's just fun throwing fireballs like Goku I guess :shobon:
Yeah, I don't know either, but bracelets look best. I'm on a Wand at the moment and sad that I had to sacrifice coolness for stat points. No idea what's actually best.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I don't know either, but bracelets look best. I'm on a Wand at the moment and sad that I had to sacrifice coolness for stat points. No idea what's actually best.

I know when fighting NPC mages the weapon I hate most is the staff. That tornado can be painful.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

As a water mage, I am liking the wands the best. The LMB attack still gets faster and faster as the combo counter goes up, it's just a little slower in the beginning since its only 1 weapon not 2. The RMB is also a nice 3 shot burst that not only can knock down multiple enemies at once, but also builds your combo counter to get the LMB attacking fast right off the bat. Bracelets were nice, but I really didnt like their RMB attack compared to the LMB RMB combo on the wand. Of course for some harder boss battles the bracelets may be better since I save just about all my mana for healing stream.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So did anyone get Cube World to run with the Steam Overlay? Cause that's something that I can't get to work but I'd love to see, as the Steam chat is my primary source for game related communication besides mumble.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Munion posted:

As a water mage, I am liking the wands the best. The LMB attack still gets faster and faster as the combo counter goes up, it's just a little slower in the beginning since its only 1 weapon not 2. The RMB is also a nice 3 shot burst that not only can knock down multiple enemies at once, but also builds your combo counter to get the LMB attacking fast right off the bat. Bracelets were nice, but I really didnt like their RMB attack compared to the LMB RMB combo on the wand. Of course for some harder boss battles the bracelets may be better since I save just about all my mana for healing stream.

I'm running wands too, because of the aforementioned multiple hits and it also has a huge distance. I'm running fire, primarily since I play alone and I don't know how to switch to water. With fire at least, I have beat the hell out of almost everything I've come across outside of the giant ogre and bulls, and maybe some red bug dude I ran into when I was level 1.

I was lamenting the lack of things to kill and then tripped over a large set of ruins full of skeletons, zombies, and ghosts, and I'm having a blast now.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 8, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Feindfeuer posted:

So did anyone get Cube World to run with the Steam Overlay? Cause that's something that I can't get to work but I'd love to see, as the Steam chat is my primary source for game related communication besides mumble.

Yup, point it to Cube.exe and not CubeLauncher.exe and it works almost perfectly with the steam overlay.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm having a hard time getting Cube World to stream nicely. Been trying Open Broadcaster with a bunch of different settings but it's always a slideshow, though the sound is fine. Anyone know how to make it work?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Verdugo posted:

I'm running wands too, because of the aforementioned multiple hits and it also has a huge distance. I'm running fire, primarily since I play alone and I don't know how to switch to water.
When you're level 1, you can do it for free in the Skills menu. After that, you have to stand next to your class trainer - you're a mage, so it's the guy in purple with a staff on his back standing on a purple-and-white patterned floor in a pavilion - in the Adventuring District, and go into the Skills menu and pay a few silver.

Sprayed
Apr 2, 2008

UGGHH
I really wish class trainers were marked on the map.. It's frustrating trying to find them

Edit: Is anyone on a server right now? I can't seem to connect to any

Sprayed fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 8, 2013

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Sprayed posted:

I really wish class trainers were marked on the map.. It's frustrating trying to find them

Edit: Is anyone on a server right now? I can't seem to connect to any

There are class trainers?!

Also, can I only have one pet, and do they level up? So would it be best just to find one you can ride and then just stick with it?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Tres Burritos posted:

There are class trainers?!

Also, can I only have one pet, and do they level up? So would it be best just to find one you can ride and then just stick with it?

There are class trainer, they are the guys standing in the arena-styled housings or the firing range, you can change sub class there.

Pets level up and you can have as many of them as your inventory allows, they take up one inventory slot in the pet-tab when not in use.

Edit:

ShadowMar posted:

Yup, point it to Cube.exe and not CubeLauncher.exe and it works almost perfectly with the steam overlay.

Thank you, you're my savior.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Death Himself posted:

I'm having a hard time getting Cube World to stream nicely. Been trying Open Broadcaster with a bunch of different settings but it's always a slideshow, though the sound is fine. Anyone know how to make it work?

Might be one of those games OBS just doesn't like.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is anyone having issues where pets keep reverting to level 3 constantly?

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is anyone having issues where pets keep reverting to level 3 constantly?

Yes, my pets always revert to their original level eventually. Their XP resets a lot for me, so getting them to level can be hard enough sometimes, but then getting them to keep that level seems impossible to me.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Man, I hope that a mac version comes sooner rather than later, this game looks so cool and I really want to try it out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do I run a server? Forwarded my ports properly, just wondering how to tell it what map to use and things like that.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do I run a server? Forwarded my ports properly, just wondering how to tell it what map to use and things like that.

The server.cfg only has 1 option currently, and that is world seed. Just put the seed you want in that file using notepad.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride

Munion posted:

Yes, my pets always revert to their original level eventually. Their XP resets a lot for me, so getting them to level can be hard enough sometimes, but then getting them to keep that level seems impossible to me.

Pets do not keep their experience on MP servers, need to play offline to level your pets.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I wonder how many millions of dollars this guy is losing due to the DDOS.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Comrade Flynn posted:

I wonder how many millions of dollars this guy is losing due to the DDOS.

I feel really awful for him and his wife. They seem to have made a cool game and some nerds are destroying their business.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Jusupov posted:

You can wear two bracers. Can you mix and match with wands?

Ya.. Warriors and Rogues can do it as well I believe. Pretty sure it's a bug.

First you equip the wand, then you middle click on the bracer you want to equip and it will go into your offhand. My dude has 212% tempo because of this :v:

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I'm guessing it's most likely some script kiddie trying to gain e-peen doing the DDoS rather than some rabid minecraft nerd. They probably just saw the hype and saw an opportunity to make it on some video game news sites.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Has anyone who's managed to get the game had problems with online play? I've tried to play with some friends, but we end up with weird things, like me just seeing their character standing around at the spawn point even when they move and other weirdness. I forwarded 12345, is there something else I'm missing that's loving up my online connection to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlu
Apr 10, 2013

My guess is that you're just experiencing bugs. It's an early alpha release.

• Locked thread