Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fly posted:

Does it matter on those results whether you pay for the license for hardware decoding?

The Pi has hardware decoding for h264 and mpeg4 enabled from the start. If you're trying to play mpeg2 or VC1 files you need the license, if not then having it won't make any difference one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
You could adjust the niceness of the process with nice -n -20. Anything below 0 increases the priority where higher numbers decreases it. So a process with a nice value of -20 will be given higher priority than a process with a nice value of 19. There may also be a way to tell the scheduler that you want that to be run as a realtime task but I'm not 100% sure of how to do that.

Note that messing with the niceness may have other adverse effects. Like SSH taking forever to connect.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't know anything about nice, but most of the writeups I found were for lowering the priority of cron jobs, and when i tried to "sudo nice" to a negative number, my jobs didn't run.

I just noticed that the actual warning is "/usr/bin/rec WARN alsa: over-run" so the error is coming from the audio input part of the command. I tried to up the buffer in Sox to 64k, but still getting over-runs.

Any chance that the bottleneck is actually SD card?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know anything about nice, but most of the writeups I found were for lowering the priority of cron jobs, and when i tried to "sudo nice" to a negative number, my jobs didn't run.

I just noticed that the actual warning is "/usr/bin/rec WARN alsa: over-run" so the error is coming from the audio input part of the command. I tried to up the buffer in Sox to 64k, but still getting over-runs.

Any chance that the bottleneck is actually SD card?

Essentially no. Sox converts to WAV internally, and the CPU on the pi just isn't up to realtime encoding. You can check you iowait in top to see if it's an sdcard issue, but you'd be better served with an odroid or something else with more oomph (beaglebone, whatever)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

evol262 posted:

Essentially no. Sox converts to WAV internally, and the CPU on the pi just isn't up to realtime encoding. You can check you iowait in top to see if it's an sdcard issue, but you'd be better served with an odroid or something else with more oomph (beaglebone, whatever)

I ran "apt-get update" for the first time in half a year, and something in that got Sox under 50% cpu. Unfortunately I'm still getting those overruns. Googling tells me that the error is the result of the piped output command not taking data from arecord fast enough. Adding more buffer to Sox after the pipe didn't seem to help. Maybe if I add buffer to arecord *before* the pipe it will. I'm stubbornly trying to get the RPi to work rather than buying something more powerful because I'm tired of having two sitting on the shelf.

Unfortunately, it's plugged in at work and I can only play with it when I'm on the network there.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Pretty sure the pi is just not powerful enough for your needs. I'm having a similar issue. FTP is very processor intensive - I have two security cameras that record on motion detection to the pi's FTP server, and just holding the two connections open and idle (not uploading anything) it uses 50% of the cpu. If I do anything else on the pi while the cameras are recording, it fucks up the ftp session.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
So how good is Retropie? Is it worth bothering with as a means to actually play old games, or is it just a neat little project at this point?

mliecah
Apr 17, 2011

bonerchamp

Zack_Gochuck posted:

So how good is Retropie? Is it worth bothering with as a means to actually play old games, or is it just a neat little project at this point?

I would say it depends. It's nice having a dedicated box hooked up to the tv, but if you can easily connect your computer to the tv/mirror your computer, there is likely not much of a point.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So how well does this actually run XBMC? Because one of my friends who is less of a tech guy says that it does XBMC and moderate web surfing totally fine with no problems and my other friend who is more of an obsessive claims that it's unwatchable handling anything in HD and has far too much lag.

Plays 1080p movies fine for me. 3D content too. I imagine running it over wifi instead of ethernet might cause buffering issues but with mine wired in I've had absolutely zro issues beyond stupid poo poo I've misconfigured myself.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Since I got an Edimax adapter I can stream 1080p over wifi without any problems. Plus most of the lag in the menus disappeared when I replaced the class 4 sd card with a class 10 one.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I'm finding I am really into web stuff more with the pi than the hdmi/gpio things. Are there any sub $100 low power, low noise computers that can run a LAMP stack with preferably a real sata port for a proper hard drive?

I'd like it to handle things like tiny tiny reader, sabnzb, quassel iirc, bit torrent, and being a file server. It seems like disk io and processing are limiting factors for the response times. Of the above, I tried quassel, and sometimes there was 3-4 second latency.

Really, a monitor port would even be optional. I'd want to run it headless.

A built in Wi-Fi or Ethernet port would be nice, but I can get dongles.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TVarmy posted:

I'm finding I am really into web stuff more with the pi than the hdmi/gpio things. Are there any sub $100 low power, low noise computers that can run a LAMP stack with preferably a real sata port for a proper hard drive?

I'd like it to handle things like tiny tiny reader, sabnzb, quassel iirc, bit torrent, and being a file server. It seems like disk io and processing are limiting factors for the response times. Of the above, I tried quassel, and sometimes there was 3-4 second latency.

Really, a monitor port would even be optional. I'd want to run it headless.

A built in Wi-Fi or Ethernet port would be nice, but I can get dongles.

Some of the embedded x86 development boards include sata and the like, but they tend to be a bit more expensive than what you're looking for. You might want to consider a mini-itx form factor motherboard with a built-in CPU to run as a server. It won't break any speed records but they often run without a heatsink fan (or with a small one) and are basically a standard x86 or x86-64 pc. The only issue is that while they're low power, they usually still take standard pc power and will need a (small) case and power supply. I bought an epia 933mhz board that was used on ebay for around $50 which included a 512MB stick of ram. I got a $40 case with psu for it and it's been serving as my router with m0n0wall loaded on a compact flash card. It's actually overkill for that use but it gets hundreds of days of uptime and I don't have to reset it like most boxed routers.

For new models here are some examples:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Inte...ywords=mini+itx
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Celeron-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-C8HM70-I/dp/B00APL76WO/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1372627251&sr=8-64&keywords=mini+itx
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D2500CC...ywords=mini+itx

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
There are also a few Mini-ITX motherboards by Intel that take external 19v power bricks, such as the DH61AG and the DQ77KB. Both don't come with procs or memory, and are already out of your price range... and irritatingly, they don't come with the freaking power brick. I've always wanted an excuse to pair one of those with the InWin K1, one of the few cases designed for the Thin Mini-ITX thing. A shame that nobody else wants to pick that form factor up...

You may also consider one of the NUCs. The DCCP847DYE just needs memory and an mSATA SSD...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Or you can buy an N270 netbook that already has memory and a hard drive and a display and a keyboard for like $75.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

I set up my Pi as an OpenElec-based XBMC system, and it's pretty great.

The only issue is that my Apex 19 inch TV (I have a small room, and the price and size was right) doesn't seem to have CEC working. I'm not sure if it's the cable or the TV, but I'm debating buying a remote. I guess I could buy another cable and keep the receipt just in case the TV's CEC works.

So far I've tried a Wii Remote with an addon from the Open-Elec forums (it worked well enough, but it ruined the stability), and an old Remote Wonder that came with a circa 2004 All-In-Wonder Radeon card (works for basic navigation, but not all the buttons are mapped right, and the keys would be labeled wrong (it has function keys labeled A-F rather than sensible HTPC stuff). It looks like I can fix it with some ssh configuration, but the labels are kind of a deal breaker.

I'm hoping I spend under $25, which looks doable. If the remote also supports TV functionality, that'd be nice. I'm using the TV mostly as a monitor, but if I get the urge to buy an antenna, that'd be nice, as would being able to turn off the TV without getting up.

Edit:vvvv Thanks for the app recommendation. I tried xbmc's remote, but found it kind of lacking. I like how Yatse lets you navigate menus on the phone screen to a degree, so I don't have to look between two displays so much.

Is there a good way to manually fix scraper data from the computer? I could ssh/ftp in and rename files, I guess, but if I could possibly find the non found items in a web interface, that'd be more convenient.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 8, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TVarmy posted:

I set up my Pi as an OpenElec-based XBMC system, and it's pretty great.

The only issue is that my Apex 19 inch TV (I have a small room, and the price and size was right) doesn't seem to have CEC working. I'm not sure if it's the cable or the TV, but I'm debating buying a remote. I guess I could buy another cable and keep the receipt just in case the TV's CEC works.

So far I've tried a Wii Remote with an addon from the Open-Elec forums (it worked well enough, but it ruined the stability), and an old Remote Wonder that came with a circa 2004 All-In-Wonder Radeon card (works for basic navigation, but not all the buttons are mapped right, and the keys would be labeled wrong (it has function keys labeled A-F rather than sensible HTPC stuff). It looks like I can fix it with some ssh configuration, but the labels are kind of a deal breaker.

I'm hoping I spend under $25, which looks doable. If the remote also supports TV functionality, that'd be nice. I'm using the TV mostly as a monitor, but if I get the urge to buy an antenna, that'd be nice, as would being able to turn off the TV without getting up.

There are remotes for 25 bucks that work well, you also could your cellphone with the Yatse program to control it.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

There are remotes for 25 bucks that work well, you also could your cellphone with the Yatse program to control it.

Definitely go with Yatse if you have a decent smart phone. I have three XBMC boxes in my home, one using an Acer Revo and two RPis, and it works great. You can store a copy of the library on the phone so you can browse and play from there without even looking at the TV until the movie starts. Controls are easy to use and understand. It's much better than the official app.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Although I use an app to control my XBMC the best thing about about CEC is it's ability to turn on the TV when I play something and turn it off when the screensaver starts. I've not touched my TV remote in months!

Wish there was a button to turn off the TV manually though, sometimes I don't want to wait for the screensaver and it's a pain having to switch to the samsung app to turn it off. Meh, first world problems..

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The OP is kind of lacking with information on what does/doesn't work with the RPi, but does the 360 controller and chatpad work with something like OpenELEC or Raspbmc? It would be my dream minimalist setup :allears:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

The OP is kind of lacking with information on what does/doesn't work with the RPi, but does the 360 controller and chatpad work with something like OpenELEC or Raspbmc? It would be my dream minimalist setup :allears:

I plugged my USB 360 controller in and all it did was flash the green lights in the center of the pad. I'm not sure if this is a problem stemming from lack of power or if it just does not have the drivers built into the kernel. So as of right now it does not work.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

kloa posted:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That's using Archlinux for the Xbox Controller. Not OpenELEC or RaspBMC which are custom built directly on top of the Linux Kernel. Even then reading the notes it appears to be a semi-hack to get it functional.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

That's using Archlinux for the Xbox Controller. Not OpenELEC or RaspBMC which are custom built directly on top of the Linux Kernel. Even then reading the notes it appears to be a semi-hack to get it functional.

What the hell? No. RaspBMC is based on Debian. OpenELEC isn't based on a distro, but it's not "built directly on top of the Linux kernel" either. The entire GNU userland is still there. Support for 360 controllers is built into the kernel anyway, so choice is distro is irrelevant as long as they built it. What are you running on your Pi?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

YouTuber posted:

I plugged my USB 360 controller in and all it did was flash the green lights in the center of the pad. I'm not sure if this is a problem stemming from lack of power or if it just does not have the drivers built into the kernel. So as of right now it does not work.

Even though you said USB 360 controller I have to ask, is this a wired only USB 360 controller or are you using the play and charge kit? Everyone excepts the play and charge to supply data and hilariously it does not it only charges and will sync the wireless connection to an xbox.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
My setup is the current:

A Beaglebone Black connected to an Airport Express, it has the Usenet stuff, ftp, etc.

Then a RPi with Xbian, for which I bought this and plugged it in the RPi, got it working but somehow if I try to stream video from the Beaglebone it stops to buffer like each 2 seconds unless I plug the RPi into another Airport Express in which case the video streaming is fine.

Am I doing something wrong with the dongle or something?

PS: The RPi is like 4 meters away from the Beaglebone Black.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Billa posted:

My setup is the current:

A Beaglebone Black connected to an Airport Express, it has the Usenet stuff, ftp, etc.

Then a RPi with Xbian, for which I bought this and plugged it in the RPi, got it working but somehow if I try to stream video from the Beaglebone it stops to buffer like each 2 seconds unless I plug the RPi into another Airport Express in which case the video streaming is fine.

Am I doing something wrong with the dongle or something?

PS: The RPi is like 4 meters away from the Beaglebone Black.

As I recall, the USB ports are running at low enough power that wifi dongles aren't stable. Pretty sure I've read that a powered USB hub will level that out.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

G-Prime posted:

As I recall, the USB ports are running at low enough power that wifi dongles aren't stable. Pretty sure I've read that a powered USB hub will level that out.

I will try that tomorrow, thanks!

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Billa posted:

My setup is the current:

I'm not going to be much help for your question but I have one of my own for you: have you tried running any emulators on the BB? Do the extra CPU cycles help out at all?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Horn posted:

I'm not going to be much help for your question but I have one of my own for you: have you tried running any emulators on the BB? Do the extra CPU cycles help out at all?

Nah, no luck even with a 2A switch, If I try to stream something using wireless in the RPi it will buffer each 2 seconds, so I don't know what to do because if I hook the Rpi to the airport express it will stream just fine.

Also What do you mean by emulators?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

Support for 360 controllers is built into the kernel anyway, so choice is distro is irrelevant as long as they built it. What are you running on your Pi?

It's the USB corded variant. I'm just chalking it off as a low power issue. The thing lit up in the center and would just blink. No functionality or response from OpenElec.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If I were to get myself a new SD card, would I be able just copy everything off my current one onto the new one and have my pi function the same but with more space?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you're using Raspbian, you can use whatever tool you originally made your SD card from an img file with to make a copy of your card, then write that new image to a new card.

Then boot the new card and run "sudo raspi-config" and expand to fill the card in that tool.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 25, 2013

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took me forever to get the sd card to work. Turned out I needed to write the image in 1M blocks instead of 4M with dd. Managed to make a quick time-lapse video over night for about 7 hours with the camera module.

Saved 2,500+ 75% quality jpgs at 720p.

Skip to ~3:25 for the sunrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE87TCCGL40

Next up I think I'll set this up out in hilly forested area for time lapse of fog rolling in and then brain storm up something to do with the GPIO.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Ordered all the parts needed to make my 20mm ammo can into my Pi's home. Soon it will be an all in one steel box.

There's still extra space though. Lots of extra.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Is there a way to get OpenElec to possibly cache more or something? I find the frequency at which it buffers unbearable for youtube and streaming add-ons on my 22 megabit connection. When I stream on a PC, this doesn't happen.

Also, I find I can't fast-forward files. Is that just a limitation of the Pi?

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

TVarmy posted:

Is there a way to get OpenElec to possibly cache more or something? I find the frequency at which it buffers unbearable for youtube and streaming add-ons on my 22 megabit connection. When I stream on a PC, this doesn't happen.

Also, I find I can't fast-forward files. Is that just a limitation of the Pi?

Yeah you can add a few lines to your advancedsettings.xml file (does not exist by default you need to create it) and set the amount of ram to devote to buffering. Not sure what it is by default but mine is set to 5MB as suggested by rbej on the xbmc forums. Hopefully it isn't against the rules to link to pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/UzfLNsv4

Just copy and paste that file and the size of cache you want and place it in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ (by default this folder is shared over smb/cifs). Not sure how high you can set the cache just play around until you get the right value.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

TVarmy posted:

I find I can't fast-forward files. Is that just a limitation of the Pi?
It's a limitation of the youtube plugin - which seems to operate by just downloading the whole video. You can fast forward a little, or rewind then fast forward up to the point you rewound from, but if you fast forward past the point it has downloaded you have to wait for it to catch up (might take a long time but eventually it will start playing again). It isn't capable of restarting the stream from a point midway into the video.

Ensure you set max res of youtube plugin to 720p, even with a solid internet connection and 950mhz overclock the pi just takes too long to start 1080p playback.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Has development on the Pi reached the point that browsing the web is an ok experience? I saw that video of Wayland making the whole OS' visual effects be smoother but I don't know how that translates over to rendering webpages and perhaps even flash?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a pi recording from a USB audio interface with Rec piped into Sox to trim out silence, then save the results as an mp3 in real-time. At the top of each hour, Cron stops that process, then restarts recording in a new timestamped file.

I've finally got the mp3 quality to a point that its acceptable for my purposes without overtaxing the Pi and getting underruns. Everything was working greatfor a few weeks, but now I'm finding that Rec just stops working, sometimes just 10 minutes into an hour and sits there without any movement. (Rec is running in Screen so I can log in and set levels or check for buffer problems.)

When the cron job comes around, it kills the previous hour's process and starts another, but the new instance of Rec doesn't do anything. It just sits there showing zero seconds recorded. Rebooting fixes it, for a while a least.

I'm using a 2 amp charger, Sandisk SD card, and the pi is in a cool spot, cased with fair ventilation. No overclock. Any ideas?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Dug out my raspi to play with the latest weston tech demos. All I can say is wow.