Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Thauros posted:

I have Comcast cable internet and like many Americans I have no alternative for reasonably fast internet access (FIOS is in some parts of my city but not in my neighborhood).

I'm on a 50 megabit plan, and during the mornings and afternoons I get the advertised speed or reasonably close to it.

During prime time hours though, I often only receive 4-16 down, and the lower end of that isn't even sufficient to stream good quality video content which is important to me since I don't have cable television service. Their customer service has been useless, telling me there's been no disruptions to my service (yeah, I know, I'm complaining about the speed) taking me through the same troubleshooting steps to no avail and wanting to blame everything on my router.

I could probably use a better quality router for other reasons, but I can't see how that's the problem here since as I told them I've had the same problem when I tested it with a direct connection to the modem and I get the speeds I should during off peak hours.

Am I missing something here? Is there anything I can possibly do outside of moving to Kansas City or Finland?

If it's like Time Warner Cable, you're going to have to keep calling until you get to their top level support (usually Tier 3), and that depends on what they're told to do. With TWC, if you're getting 80% of your speed, it's fine.

The problem you're having is during peak hours, which usually means a node split, and once they commit to it, it takes 3-6 months to actually do, and it usually takes them FOREVER to commit to a node split. Doing what Install says will help too, they normally won't do poo poo if it's only one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Install Gentoo posted:

Why exactly do you want to move to a small town?

Also keep in mind you're going to have to find a job, and small towns have noticeably higher unemployment rates then the population at large already, so uh good luck there.

I am sick of everything here, and I want a slower paced life style. I also want to raise a family some day, and if I have to raise my child in LA I think I'd have to shoot myself. I've been in Foster Care since I was young and the whole city just stinks of despair and bad memories.

I want my life to be easier, and find a way to escape poverty.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
So Dr. Pepper now has (or very recently had) a promotion where one in ten bottles won a free Redbox rental or something. This got me curious as to how these sorts of deals work financially. Specifically, does Dr. Pepper pay Redbox or does Redbox pay Dr. Pepper? Or is it just a mutually beneficial situation where Dr. Pepper handles the cost on packaging promoting the deal, but Redbox "pays" for that 1-in-10 free rental?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Turtlicious posted:

I am sick of everything here, and I want a slower paced life style. I also want to raise a family some day, ...

I've moved around quite a bit but you need to save some money first, a few thousand at least, unless you want to be homeless.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah... I knew that really, I was hoping $800 would be enough to bootstrap it.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Move to North Dakota next March.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Turtlicious posted:

Hilariously unlikely. Start job-hunting in your desired area now for a wake-up call.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Call Now posted:

Is there a way to disable those stupid "X is posting about a page you like" on Facebook? Because I've had enough of jizz-covered TARDISes and whatever

Social Fixer.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ElectricBlizzard posted:

I'm going to the Dominican Republic in a few weeks, i've been living in a cold country all my life.

Are there ways to prepare myself for the heat there and when i do get there how to get used to the warmth as fast as possible ?

Razz posted some good advice, but I prefer the loose layers method for doing field work when it's really hot. I usually wear hiking pants that won't absorb moisture, a long sleeved cotton shirt and a hat.

Always wear a hat, your eyes will thank you. Near the equator, the sun will come pretty much directly above, and it's a blinding blue light that will actually burn your retinas if you don't protect them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Turtlicious posted:

The problem is that it has become harder, the job market sucks and many landlords want first and last month's rent plus a security deposit and they won't rent to you at all if you don't have a job. Last time I just up and moved across country, only one place would rent to me and only because I could pay six months rent in advance which left me broke, living off credit, and scrambling for a job. That was before the recession and I wouldn't try it again without a job lined up.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Busy Bee posted:

I was eating a sandwich a few days ago and all the oil from it dripped onto my khaki shorts. I didn't clean it for a few days and when I did, my pants smelled like absolute poo poo. I was able to get all the oil stains out but even after using stain remover and washing it two times, it still smells. What can I use to get rid of this smell? I was thinking of soaking the specific area in Isopropyl alcohol or something like that but I wouldn't know if it would ruin the shorts?

Make a thick paste with baking soda and apply to both sides. Wait at least an hour the wash. It will not harm if you leave it on longer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

I am sick of everything here, and I want a slower paced life style. I also want to raise a family some day, and if I have to raise my child in LA I think I'd have to shoot myself. I've been in Foster Care since I was young and the whole city just stinks of despair and bad memories.

Well if you want to escape poverty, definitely don't try to move to an actual small town. In all honesty I'd recommend trying to move to the suburbs of a completely different city instead, like maybe Seattle, or Boston, or Philadelphia.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Holy crap this is awesome. Thanks dude.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

For about a week all of the overlays on youtube have stopped working for me. Stuff like the quality control popup, timestamps, the similar video popups at the end. Weirdest part is that they are broken in both Firefox and IE. Anyone else getting this, or have an idea on how to fix it?

edit: Other video site like twitch work just fine.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 8, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What is the origin/meaning/point of the trend in clothing (especially shirts) to say "PROPERTY OF ______"?
The blank can be filled with:
the brand of clothing
a town
a university
an organization

It's by no means a new trend, but I've never understood it, and it even seems kind of hosed up to proudly wear a shirt saying you are property that belongs to Aeropostale, or Penn State.

some, um, examples

Does this come from something? Does "property" refer to the shirt, or the wearer, and either way, why?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

alnilam posted:

What is the origin/meaning/point of the trend in clothing (especially shirts) to say "PROPERTY OF ______"?
the brand of clothing
a town
a university
an organization
Does this come from something? Does "property" refer to the shirt, or the wearer, and either way, why?

Property refers to the shirt being owned by an organization and not the individual. The intent being that you cannot get away with stealing a shirt (or any item) if the ownership is marked on it. So if you didn't want all your football players stealing t-shirts and incorporating them into their wardrobe you would make them as school property. One current example I know of is hospital scrubs. Marking them property of a hospital discourages employee theft, reminds me not to wear scrubs from one hospital to another, and helps the linen service avoid mistakes.

Now it is a way to sell poo poo as team branding.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Short problems

Take it to a dry cleaner if it's cheaper than new shorts.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

alnilam posted:

the brand of clothing
a town
a university
an organization

It's by no means a new trend, but I've never understood it, and it even seems kind of hosed up to proudly wear a shirt saying you are property that belongs to Aeropostale, or Penn State.

some, um, examples

From college football, where team shirts and jerseys often go missing. They mention the school and the wearer's shirt size (XXL being the overwhelming favorite). And like mentioned above, now it can be any affiliation (team or personal).

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Turtlicious posted:

I can see where you're coming from but moving to a city and winging it is quite different than moving to a small town. You'll need a job or probably 6 months rent of cash first. Cost of living will be much lower than LA but so will the pay, so keep that in mind if you work out a budget. I don't think it's a terrible idea if you do it right, but going out with $800 and winging it isn't right.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Install Gentoo posted:

Well if you want to escape poverty, definitely don't try to move to an actual small town. In all honesty I'd recommend trying to move to the suburbs of a completely different city instead, like maybe Seattle, or Boston, or Philadelphia.

Haha yeah, take this from someone who grew up and has lived most of her life in a <9,000 people town. And is currently living in a rural area where the closest town is 600 people (and 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store).

There's a reason why I can rent a 5 bedroom house for $400 here. There is no such thing as a job that pays more than 8 dollars an hour, and you'd be lucky to even find that for part-time hours. Small towns are economically depressed and most are dying. Even the ones that aren't still don't have good-paying jobs. Small towns are riddled with poverty, it's just a completely different kind of poverty than in the big city.

The manufacturing plant in the closest town pays $9-10 an hour and anyone that works there is "doing pretty well for themselves" here.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Who does this song remind you of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafiOd-jm14

I quite like it, but it's clearly derivative of a few 60s bands and I'm struggling to think of exactly who. It's on the tip of my tongue.

edit: I mean, they sound almost exactly like The Coral, but The Coral were aping the 60s too

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 9, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

Crosby Stills Nash and Young?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Hoops posted:

I quite like it, but it's clearly derivative of a few 60s bands and I'm struggling to think of exactly who. It's on the tip of my tongue.

edit: I mean, they sound almost exactly like The Coral, but The Coral were aping the 60s too

Very reminiscent of some of the folk singers of that time. Particularly Ian and Sylvia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfTDPhMdTk

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

For about a week all of the overlays on youtube have stopped working for me. Stuff like the quality control popup, timestamps, the similar video popups at the end. Weirdest part is that they are broken in both Firefox and IE. Anyone else getting this, or have an idea on how to fix it?

edit: Other video site like twitch work just fine.

Something even wierder just happened. I got asked to do a captcha by youtube because "Sorry for the interruption. We have been receiving a large volume of requests from your network. To continue with your YouTube experience, please enter the verification code below."

I've probably watched 15 minutes of youtube in the last 24 hours...

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.

Hoops posted:

Made me think of Richard and Mimi Farina, but I don't know how likely that is.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hoops posted:

Sounds a little like Richard Thompson's 70s stuff with Linda, particularly the precise fingerpicking part.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

razz posted:

Haha yeah, take this from someone who grew up and has lived most of her life in a <9,000 people town. And is currently living in a rural area where the closest town is 600 people (and 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store).

There's a reason why I can rent a 5 bedroom house for $400 here. There is no such thing as a job that pays more than 8 dollars an hour, and you'd be lucky to even find that for part-time hours. Small towns are economically depressed and most are dying. Even the ones that aren't still don't have good-paying jobs. Small towns are riddled with poverty, it's just a completely different kind of poverty than in the big city.

The manufacturing plant in the closest town pays $9-10 an hour and anyone that works there is "doing pretty well for themselves" here.

On the other hand, living in a small town (especially on a body of water) sounds loving awesome if you like that kind of life and your income comes from something like doing work on the internet, for example.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Etiquette question: if I see someone's car in their driveway and it's lights are on or the trunk/hatch/a door is open, should I ring their doorbell and tell them? Also, if it's late at night (say 11 pm), but they're obviously up (TV and lots of lights on), does that change the situation?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sunshine89 posted:

Etiquette question: if I see someone's car in their driveway and it's lights are on or the trunk/hatch/a door is open, should I ring their doorbell and tell them? Also, if it's late at night (say 11 pm), but they're obviously up (TV and lots of lights on), does that change the situation?

Our neighbor did this the other night for my wife's truck and I thanked them profusely. If it looks like they are awake, knock/ring the bell and let them know.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

kensei posted:

Our neighbor did this the other night for my wife's truck and I thanked them profusely. If it looks like they are awake, knock/ring the bell and let them know.

Only do this if you are friendly with the home owner. Don't go around knocking on strangers' doors at 11pm for any reason (that should be fairly obvious)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TATPants posted:

Only do this if you are friendly with the home owner. Don't go around knocking on strangers' doors at 11pm for any reason (that should be fairly obvious)

What? If the car obviously belongs to that house (if it's in their driveway) and there are still lights on inside then there's no reason not to knock. What do you think is going to happen?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

What? If the car obviously belongs to that house (if it's in their driveway) and there are still lights on inside then there's no reason not to knock. What do you think is going to happen?

Castle doctrine and paranoia. At least I think that is what TATpants is alluding to, which is horribly goony.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
One small addendum: given the late hour, it's possible there will be kids asleep in the house even though the adults are still awake. I'd knock rather than use the doorbell, which may sound loudly enough to wake up the kids.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hoops posted:

The obvious reference for folk singing in close harmony like this is Simon and Garfunkel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go with Peter, Paul and Mary.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Whenever I've seen other people touch an electric fence they seem to suffer a worse shock than I do, is this because I have a highger electrical resistance? What would cause that could it be dehydration or lower electrolyte levels? Did eating a coin cell battery as a child give me some eletrical control superpower?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Crankit posted:

Whenever I've seen other people touch an electric fence they seem to suffer a worse shock than I do, is this because I have a highger electrical resistance? What would cause that could it be dehydration or lower electrolyte levels? Did eating a coin cell battery as a child give me some eletrical control superpower?
I guess it's something to do with the moisture in your skin or something, yeah. I'm the opposite, electricity messes me up. Some people can click those electric shock joke lighters and be fine, when I do it my whole arm spazzes out and I can't keep hold of it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
One of my favorite features of Firefox is keyword searches, where I can type something like "d wholesome" in the address bar and it'll bring up search results for wholesome at dictionary.com. But suddenly...poof. Stopped working completely a few days ago. If I recreate the bookmark that lets me do this, all is fine, but all my old ones are just useless. Anyone else seen this?

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

If it's someone I know, I have no reservations. It's just that if it's someone I don't know, I wouldn't want them to think that I'm some sort of creepy wierdo or that I was casing their car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Crankit posted:

It could be the shoes that you're wearing. Try it barefoot next time!