Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

If it's like the current Nexus 7 they'll probably have a wifi and a cellular model.

Both versions passed through the FCC a couple weeks ago. That part isn't a rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the turnaround time from FCC approval to accepting orders for the device? If the new Nexus 7 is $229 and Staples will sell me a 16gb Nexus 7 for $159 and both devices are stupid fast it feels kind of like a toss up, but if I can buy a 1080p Nexus 7 for $229 with third gen hardware that might be worth the extra $80/4 weeks.

Second, ignoring price, between the Nexus 7 and HD+ which is better hardware? The HD+ has about 50% more pixel density but otherwise they're about the same?

It sort of feels like the bottom is about to fall out of the tablet market the same way it did the netbook market in ~2010. B&N apparently saw the writing on the wall and got out. In another year is it just going to be Apple, Google/Asus, Samsung and Amazon branded tablets at the $149 pricepoint, and a sea of no-name/Coby branded cheap chinese tablets for $49-89?

Don Lapre posted:

Nexus 7 for $159 plus get a $20 gift card at staples. Use the officemax 20% off coupon on OfficeMax.com at staples.

How are you using the coupon at staples? Are they owned by the same parent company now?

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/2013/23/0531_060813_MegaDeals_20OFF_FW23_Cpn_OMX.pdf

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hadlock posted:

What is the turnaround time from FCC approval to accepting orders for the device?
Depends, although common sense dictates that it's bad business to not ship as soon as you can. For reference, the FCC published approval for the Nexus 7 on May 30 2012, and announced/opened orders on June 27 at I/O.

Meanwhile, the 3G Nexus 7 got approval on October 25 last year, and they were due to announce it on October 29 had Hurricane Sandy not caused a delay.

I doubt it will be much longer than a month, the window is fast approaching to put it out there for the "back to school" tablet/computer buying rush.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

How are you using the coupon at staples? Are they owned by the same parent company now?

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/2013/23/0531_060813_MegaDeals_20OFF_FW23_Cpn_OMX.pdf
They honor competitors' coupons.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
In the UK Barnes and Noble just put the Nook on an even more aggressive sale Nook HD £99 and Nook HD+ £149. I bought a Nook HD+ at the end of May for £179 and I thought I was getting a good deal.

For comparison a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" will set you back £229.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay so that really thin and sorta awesome Nexus 10 Moko case is a cheap piece of poo poo. Probably worth the 5 bucks it cost, but I have managed to break it in multiple places and I don't even think I've done anything to cause breakage.

I really just want a cover like the Apple Smart Cover, not a case, not a sleeve, not an otterbox or whatever. I can't find anything like that on Amazon, so am I just better off getting another cheap lovely $5 Moko thing when they go on sale again?

Telex fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 6, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

I really just want a cover like the Apple Smart Cover, not a case, not a sleeve, not an otterbox or whatever.
Isn't the official N10 cover like that?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Tunga posted:

Well, I have a shitload of amazon credit and zip on the google play store. I was hoping there was something I was missing that was available via amazon instead. :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Tunga posted:

Not at all. It's just a cover. It doesn't act as a stand. Sounds stupid, but it's one of the main reasons I'm not going back to the Nexus 10. The two angles the smart cover provides are simply too practical...

AlexF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 6, 2013

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I believe you have to flash CyanogenMod to use it as a fully fledged Android tablet. Otherwise some apps will just puke.

I could be wrong though, they might just be incompatible.

Just picked up a Nook HD+ as well. For the price ($149), it's pretty good so far. I needed something for Hulu and Netflix while I travel.

Is there a huge benefit of flashing to CM10? I flashed my old Nook Color a million years ago so I could get android apps, but now with the Google Play store built in, it seems like it's not even necessary.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Zarfol posted:

Just picked up a Nook HD+ as well. For the price ($149), it's pretty good so far. I needed something for Hulu and Netflix while I travel.

Is there a huge benefit of flashing to CM10? I flashed my old Nook Color a million years ago so I could get android apps, but now with the Google Play store built in, it seems like it's not even necessary.

Yes. The Nook OS doesn't allow some apps to be installed. It's also painfully slow compared to CM. You also get the benefits of being rooted. If you're technically capable, I say do it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I'm likin' the Galaxy Note 10.1! I took the sacrifice of the screen resolution for the stylus; the stylus being the primary thing I use it for. I had to get a case for it because of the weird membrane back. I checked out a friend's Nexus 10, and I probably would have gotten that instead if it had some equivalent stylus functionality. It charges real quick, which is nice.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Syrinxx posted:

A guy says he got Asus support to tell him the specs on the Nexus 7 refresh arriving this month:

https://plus.google.com/photos/110005594506973962154/albums/5894753622452455441

Grain of salt, etc. but it appears it will have 1080p screen, Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM, Android 4.3, and... LTE :confused:

If these specs are to be believed I know what I'm upgrading to. I have the current 3G N7 and it works great, but 1080p on a 7" screen would look amazing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bigmandan posted:

If these specs are to be believed I know what I'm upgrading to. I have the current 3G N7 and it works great, but 1080p on a 7" screen would look amazing.
Ugh, why does everyone keep calling it 1080p? It's 1200p, a vastly superior resolution.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Ugh, why does everyone keep calling it 1080p? It's 1200p, a vastly superior resolution.

Because it's a handy point of comparison that many understand. Also, "vastly" is a rather large overstatement. The difference between the two resolutions, for the vast majority of users, is unnoticeable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

16:10 is way better than 16:9 for basically anything but watching movies where it's equal.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

16:10 is nature's own aspect ratio and it's the best for everything. Microsoft didn't get the memo, which is why they're the only ones making "premium" 16:9 tablets.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

16:10 is nature's own aspect ratio and it's the best for everything. Microsoft didn't get the memo, which is why they're the only ones making "premium" 16:9 tablets.

Still better than Apple's insistence on sticking with 4:3. 16:10 > 16:9 > 4:3

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

4:3 is also a great aspect ratio, especially for a device meant to be viewed in portrait or landscape that only displays one app at a time. Its only real downside is for watching movies. 16:9 is just garbage, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
16:9 is the most awkward thing to use in portrait, and if a device is awful to use at 50% of possible orientations, it's probably a lovely device.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

16:10 is nature's own aspect ratio and it's the best for everything.
nah.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Fine. 16.18:10 if you want to get pedantic about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You didn't actually read it, did you?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No, and you busted me before I came back to edit my post :blush:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wow, that's quite an article. Turns out everything ever written about everything is wrong.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That makes me laugh especially considering I watched a video on the same drat thing in like 8th grade math. Oh how we are misled.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
So it looks like I'm heading back to school, and I'm thinking about buying a Galaxy Note 10.1" to take notes on etc.
Those who've tried this before, can you comment on how well this has worked out for you? And I think right now the Galaxy Note 8/10(and Surface Pro) is the only tablet with active digitizer/stylus?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
In my experience, taking notes on anything without a keyboard sucks. Tablet w/ a stylus doesn't match regular old paper either.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

porksmash posted:

In my experience, taking notes on anything without a keyboard sucks. Tablet w/ a stylus doesn't match regular old paper either.

Depends on the course load, of course. I couldn't have taken the majority of my course notes with a keyboard and would have killed for instant digital copies. Friend missed class? You can email the day's notes the second the lecture's over with a couple of clicks.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So I asked about a bluetooth keyboard recommendation earlier while I was in the states and someone recommended the logitech for android, but I never had a chance to pick one up. Now I'm in Germany, and I find it nearly loving impossible to find anything for a nexus 7. Can't even find a decent case, much less a bluetooth keyboard. Drives me loving crazy.

If I pick up one that's 'made for Apple' will it still work? I'm working off the amazon.de site here.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Guilty posted:

So I asked about a bluetooth keyboard recommendation earlier while I was in the states and someone recommended the logitech for android, but I never had a chance to pick one up. Now I'm in Germany, and I find it nearly loving impossible to find anything for a nexus 7. Can't even find a decent case, much less a bluetooth keyboard. Drives me loving crazy.

If I pick up one that's 'made for Apple' will it still work? I'm working off the amazon.de site here.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...etooth+tastatur

Most Bluetooth keyboards will work, atleast, they should.
Otherwise, you could always check ebay, there's a ton of nexus7 keyboards and the like there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Probably don't buy one of the tiny ones like this:
http://www.amazon.de/iClever%C2%AE-...etooth+tastatur

I use one of these for my HTPC and it's okay for that purpose, but typing anything longer than a Google search will make you want to fling it across the room.

I have this one and it works pretty well, though I'm finding that using Swype is at least as good as hauling this thing out and setting it up. The stand is sort of clever I guess but I don't think I'd give it a solid recommendation.
http://www.amazon.de/Logitech-920-0...etooth+tastatur

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have this one and it works pretty well, though I'm finding that using Swype is at least as good as hauling this thing out and setting it up. The stand is sort of clever I guess but I don't think I'd give it a solid recommendation.
http://www.amazon.de/Logitech-920-0...etooth+tastatur

I really wanted to pick up that one but I really didn't want to pay 130 euros for it. I might still pick it up next time I'm state-side. I got a microsoft tablet keyboard for I think 30 euros or 40. Hoping it'll work ok

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Guilty posted:

I really wanted to pick up that one but I really didn't want to pay 130 euros for it. I might still pick it up next time I'm state-side. I got a microsoft tablet keyboard for I think 30 euros or 40. Hoping it'll work ok

Really one keyboard is as good as the next as long as you can type comfortably on it and it's not gigantic. The stand thing was a selling point for the Logitech one for me but in practice it's kind of useless. I almost want to return it now but I chucked the packaging.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So with the Google app store getting a remodel, does this signal additional rumblings for a Nexus 7 release, purchasable through the newly redesigned store? Is it time to begin the wild speculation yet? :dance:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Is it time to begin the wild speculation yet?
Um, you just did.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

flashy_mcflash posted:

Really one keyboard is as good as the next as long as you can type comfortably on it and it's not gigantic. The stand thing was a selling point for the Logitech one for me but in practice it's kind of useless. I almost want to return it now but I chucked the packaging.

The selling point of the Logitech for me was that the stand is a case for the keyboard, that way I don't need to worry about just tossing it in my bag.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

8th-samurai posted:

The selling point of the Logitech for me was that the stand is a case for the keyboard, that way I don't need to worry about just tossing it in my bag.

Yeah I wish I got that one instead because my k760 doesn't have a case or anything and there has been one occasion so far where keys came off during transit.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hadlock posted:

So with the Google app store getting a remodel, does this signal additional rumblings for a Nexus 7 release, purchasable through the newly redesigned store? Is it time to begin the wild speculation yet? :dance:

If you would like to continue to wildly speculate, Sundar Pichai is calling a press event in a week.

http://allthingsd.com/20130717/google-to-host-july-24-event-with-sundar-pichai/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

AlexF posted:

Not at all. It's just a cover. It doesn't act as a stand. Sounds stupid, but it's one of the main reasons I'm not going back to the Nexus 10. The two angles the smart cover provides are simply too practical...

Is the Nexus 10 cover magnetic or does it flop around all willy-nilly?