Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

tomapot posted:

"The Test Dream" is playing right now, forgot how whacked this episode was.

That is such a great episode. Sopranos might have my favorite use of dreams in drama ever (including literature, film, TV, excluding David Lynch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

escape artist posted:

That is such a great episode. Sopranos might have my favorite use of dreams in drama ever (including literature, film, TV, excluding David Lynch)

My all time favorite dream sequence from the Sopranos. Captures the unsettling, building terror of this type of dream/nightmare perfectly for me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

escape artist posted:

It's also the most accurate dream sequences I've ever seen. Just the right shifts in time and place without any over the top effects wankery.

When we visited Asbury Park briefly for the first time, the wife was sort of nonplussed as I enthusiastically pointed out where every bit of 'Funhouse's dream sequences were filmed. "I DON'T WANNA SEE YOU FLOPPIN' AROUND DOWN THERE" indeed.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Up to season 4 on my 3rd time through the series. Seeing Paulie in that orange jump suit caught me off guard again. I had to do a quick check make sure I didn't skip an episode.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
HBO showed Long Term Parking a couple of nights ago, and it was just as heartbreaking this time as it was the first time I saw it. That moment when they cut from Adrianna driving south in her own car to her riding into the woods in Syl's car . . .

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ZekeNY posted:

HBO showed Long Term Parking a couple of nights ago, and it was just as heartbreaking this time as it was the first time I saw it. That moment when they cut from Adrianna driving south in her own car to her riding into the woods in Syl's car . . .

I was honestly fooled by that, and oh God when I realized what was going to happen :gonk:

I think what makes it worse is that Sil is so casual about it, he even seems a little put-out and irritated when she tries to run away, like SHE is causing him a problem.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
It fooled me, too, the first time I saw it -- I had read all the stories about De Matteo leaving the show and was sure that Ade was going to die, and then I was so elated to see her finally coming to her senses and getting out of there. And then they pull the rug out from under me. It was really perfectly done, I had that image of her crawling out of the frame in my head for days

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

haljordan posted:

I always found Carmela's father to be an enormous scumbag.

Well maybe not enormous, but dude was an rear end in a top hat for sure.

I love his outburst at Livia's funeral.

SHE RUINED MY CHRISTMAS.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Hugh's birthday is one of the funniest episodes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This is the best scene in a series that was seemingly composed of best scenes.

The Sopranos is a tale of wolves, some pathetic and desperate. Some lethal and aware and very, truly, dangerous.

Meet papa wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_AoiGVVjrY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

The Sopranos is a tale of wolves, some pathetic and desperate. Some lethal and aware and very, truly, dangerous.

Meet papa wolf

That dude apologizing the next (?) episode was the best. He had no idea what he'd done wrong, but he'd been assured it must have been something, so he was very sorry for being such an rear end in a top hat!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wrong thread!

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 6, 2013

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I bet upwards of 75% of all the audio in the show is James Gandolfini breathing.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Supreme Allah posted:

Meet papa wolf

I kinda thought the scene was a litle too obvious. Earlier in the episode, he enters the room and everyone jumps up to greet him. Then he falls down at the Sacrimone wedding [where John cries and discussion of manliness/respect arrises]. This scene was the end of the episode. He sees no one get up when he enters and needs to prove who's boss. No subtlety to the storytelling.

It would have been better if the episode ended right after he saw no one getting up to greet him. Then next episode there's an actual story where Tony avenges the disrespect he felt.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mr. Kite posted:

I kinda thought the scene was a litle too obvious. Earlier in the episode, he enters the room and everyone jumps up to greet him. Then he falls down at the Sacrimone wedding [where John cries and discussion of manliness/respect arrises]. This scene was the end of the episode. He sees no one get up when he enters and needs to prove who's boss. No subtlety to the storytelling.

It would have been better if the episode ended right after he saw no one getting up to greet him. Then next episode there's an actual story where Tony avenges the disrespect he felt.
I disagree and thought it was a great scene.

However, in your criticism you failed to mention Melfi's advice: "they only see what you let them see." So they see him demonstrate his prowess by beating on the young tough guy, and then he goes to the bathroom and starts puking blood, where they can't see him.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yes, calling that scene obvious means you sort of missed the point. Check the camera work, the viewer literally gets an extended sequences of long POV shots of Tony methodically sizing his entire crew up as they chill at Satriale's doing the boss math in his head to determine the magnitude of a show of force he's going to need to display to retain respect among his troops. It's an awesome scene, and the puking/grinning/puking in solitude at the end is a superb capper.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I'm on a rewatch, is there anything great that I might have forgotten from "In Camelot" or can I skip that?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The introduction of JT Dolan, the scene where Tony chases Phil down in the car, and Uncle Junior's obsession with funerals.

Not to mention the Johnny Soprano's mistress storyline is illuminating even if it does drag a bit.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

the culminator posted:

I'm on a rewatch, is there anything great that I might have forgotten from "In Camelot" or can I skip that?

During my first watch-through, I hated this episode. On a random re-watch, I found it absolutely illuminating to the type of person that Tony is. Points out his flaws in a way that (for one of the first times, chronologically) shows him as creepy and desperate. Great individual scenes, too. What a guy Christopher is.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Something that's really interesting to me in the series is how these men choose to exalt Italian culture. There's a lot to admire there, but the only aspect I ever hear them talk about is the food. I think that it's because for all of the Italian achievements in science, art, and philosophy, the food is what they can relate to day to day, and indulge in themselves.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Then they go to Italy and Pauli doesn't like the food.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And Christopher never did make it to that volcano.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

TheBalor posted:

Something that's really interesting to me in the series is how these men choose to exalt Italian culture. There's a lot to admire there, but the only aspect I ever hear them talk about is the food. I think that it's because for all of the Italian achievements in science, art, and philosophy, the food is what they can relate to day to day, and indulge in themselves.

There was that episode of Columbus Day, too.

Tony was pretty good about talking about his heritage. Tell him that Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, for example.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Perdido posted:

There was that episode of Columbus Day, too.

Tony was pretty good about talking about his heritage. Tell him that Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, for example.

Or that the Chinese invented spaghetti! :hist101:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TheBalor posted:

I'm not an expert on this but my understanding is that actual Italian culture tends to be quite regional and there is a great deal of animosity between the various parts of the country, which is understandable somewhat if you consider that Italy as a unified country is less than 200 years old. However the Italian immigrant community,especially the later generations, of course didn't hang on to this aspect of the culture and as a result exalt an "Italian culture" that only serves to bemuse native Italians like Furio was a nice touch. I think it was the columbus day episode when a confused Furio says that Columbus was a Genoaese and he as a Neapolitan hated the Genoaese so why should he partake in a celebration of him? Queue "ooooohhh"s from the rest of the mobsters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

withak posted:

Then they go to Italy and Pauli doesn't like the food.

I just found out that the conversations Paulie has with the locals when he's wandering about weren't scripted - the dude who demands to know if he's with NATO and cut their ski cable was legitimately ranting at him. :allears:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not an expert on this but my understanding is that actual Italian culture tends to be quite regional and there is a great deal of animosity between the various parts of the country, which is understandable somewhat if you consider that Italy as a unified country is less than 200 years old. However the Italian immigrant community,especially the later generations, of course didn't hang on to this aspect of the culture and as a result exalt an "Italian culture" that only serves to bemuse native Italians like Furio was a nice touch. I think it was the columbus day episode when a confused Furio says that Columbus was a Genoaese and he as a Neapolitan hated the Genoaese so why should he partake in a celebration of him? Queue "ooooohhh"s from the rest of the mobsters.

Carmella's parents had a bit of this, too.

Can't remember the context or the exact line, but Carm blasted her mom, "and I remember how you used to say how dark Meadow was, don't try to deny it."

Might've been in that Columbus Day episode actually, now that I think of it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Throatwarbler posted:

This is pretty on the money. Look into how Northern Italians view the South, and then remember where the mafia families come from.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Perdido posted:

Carmella's parents had a bit of this, too.

Can't remember the context or the exact line, but Carm blasted her mom, "and I remember how you used to say how dark Meadow was, don't try to deny it."

Might've been in that Columbus Day episode actually, now that I think of it.

I think that was in the one with Hugh's party, when Carm catches her apologising to the Governor of Maryland and his wife.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

tbp posted:

This is pretty on the money. Look into how Northern Italians view the South, and then remember where the mafia families come from.

Hell, just look at the organized crime within southern Italy. 'Ndrangheta, Cosa Nostra and Cammora.

I'm sure Northern Italy has their own OC outfits as well.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

tbp posted:

My mother's family is from Northern Italy and my father's family is from Southern Italy, and I swear this caused more family problems than anything else. It never made sense to me, but it was such a huge deal to the grandparents. I'll never forget the time my maternal grandmother put her hand on my shoulder and said "You poor boy. Well, at least you aren't Sicilian."

edit: Or when she'd yell at my mother "I can't believe my grandchildren are Napolidan!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's important to remember that many of the Italian immigrants that came into the US were poor and uneducated from Southern Italy. Like any uneducated area around the world, those people had a certain dialect that strayed far from proper Italian. The result is passed down and can be seen in The Sopranos. They butcher (excuse the pun) basic Italian foods like capicola (gabbagool), manicotti (manigot), ricotta (rigot), etc.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

kippa posted:

I think that was in the one with Hugh's party, when Carm catches her apologising to the Governor of Maryland and his wife.

Yes, that was the episode (he was a retired foreign service officer, not a governor, but that was the right scene). Until I saw that, I'd had no idea that "self-hating Italians" was a thing.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

ZekeNY posted:

Yes, that was the episode (he was a retired foreign service officer, not a governor, but that was the right scene). Until I saw that, I'd had no idea that "self-hating Italians" was a thing.

Oh I know he wasn't actually a governor, but that's what Hugh said they used to call him in the navy because he used to get crabs all the time (which also led to the speculation that he's Paulies dad).

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

kippa posted:

Oh I know he wasn't actually a governor, but that's what Hugh said they used to call him in the navy because he used to get crabs all the time (which also led to the speculation that he's Paulies dad).

Gah, of course. I should know better than to post before I've had my coffee. :suicide:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This scene sums it all up pretty well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlA9Fs350PE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is that party the only time that Tony and Carmella ever a proper intimate moment? It seemed like the first time they were really affectionate with each other which stood out to me

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So wait, did Ralph really set the fire at the stable or not? Or are we meant to not know?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mahoning posted:

So wait, did Ralph really set the fire at the stable or not? Or are we meant to not know?

I think it's supposed to be left ambiguous, but if I had to pick one side or the other, I'd say no.

He was the biggest earner. He was adamant about not setting the fire. And he just pissed Tony off by trivializing (in Tony's eyes) the death of his horse, because Ralph's kid was in the hospital.

"No I did not, but so what?"

Joey Pants did so well on that show, I was sad to see him go.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Ralph totally did it.

(least I think so)

• Locked thread