Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

The Kingpin would never do that.

The Kingpin actually killed the guys who outed Murdock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Maltose posted:

And that's why The Red Skull Kingpin is the best Marvel Villain. What's the point of being rich and evil indeed?

Fixed.

Alhazred posted:

The Kingpin actually killed the guys who outed Murdock.

See?

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
In cyberspace, Wire and Doom are trapped in a simulation of the Baxter Building. While looking for the exit...

Doom 2099 #6

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is where I lost interest in The Ultimates:

Hulk not gay.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Hulk not gay.

I think Millar is actually quite liberal, so I'm guessing that he put this in there to show what an idiot hulk is.

... at least I hope he did :(. I also have to give credit to millar for making me hate captain america, something I thought would be impossible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Monaghan posted:

I think Millar is actually quite liberal, so I'm guessing that he put this in there to show what an idiot hulk is.

... at least I hope he did :(. I also have to give credit to millar for making me hate captain america, something I thought would be impossible.

He is 12 years old. What he thinks would be cool or funny he puts in his comic story be damned.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
2002 was a very different time and Millar has a habit of being tone-deaf to the bigotry he's inadvertently writing into his stories. I think if he actually lived in America instead of copying what he sees on TV and movies it'd be better, but there you go.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
If it came from a mainstream character I would be bothered, but c'mon, that's the Hulk that ate people. Hulk overreacting and being offended by such a comment is kinda what I would expect from the psyche of an imperfect character such as Ultimate Bruce.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Frankly the problem with that page isn't Hulk, because yea, Hulk is stupid and emotionally crippled. The problem with that page is that Captain America decided that was a good way to rile him up, and that he's draw sneering like a shithead while saying it. Surely there is something else that could have been used? Like 'Those ships are going to bill Betty!' And, if not, Cap could at least be delivering it with distaste because he knows it's lovely.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Frankly the problem with that page isn't Hulk, because yea, Hulk is stupid and emotionally crippled. The problem with that page is that Captain America decided that was a good way to rile him up, and that he's draw sneering like a shithead while saying it. Surely there is something else that could have been used? Like 'Those ships are going to bill Betty!' And, if not, Cap could at least be delivering it with distaste because he knows it's lovely.

You're forgetting that captain america is a huge jingoistic rear end in a top hat in the ultimate universe. Doing stuff like that was par for the course.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well, technically he only said they called him a "sissy boy" which Hulk interpreted as calling him gay. I mean, granted, the implication is there, but really didn't say gay.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

You're forgetting that captain america is a huge jingoistic rear end in a top hat in the ultimate universe. Doing stuff like that was par for the course.

Never forget:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

BiggerBoat posted:

Hulk not gay.

This is coming up as a broken link for me. Says it's a zero size reply or something when I try the url directly.

Also holy gently caress I'd seen the splash of 'STANDS FOR FRANCE' Cap but I didn't know he was brutally murdering some dude on the opposite page.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm more bothered by the fact that something so dumb WORKED on the Hulk, and basically the only reason it did is because the plot required it to do so. If it was so loving easy to misdirect the Hulk, why was he ever a concern? "Hey Hulk, I hear the sun said your mother is fat." "HULK JUMP INTO SUN!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phy posted:

Never forget:

Captain America 3

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Ultimate Hulk, even more than regular hulk, is basically pure Id. He reacts exactly like I'd expect him to react.

The thing I dislike about the Ultimates from that time frame is how he keeps name-dropping celebrities. It dates the comic really badly, no matter how funny "HULK SMASH FREDDIE PRINCE JUNIOR" is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

John Dyne posted:

This is coming up as a broken link for me. Says it's a zero size reply or something when I try the url directly.

Also holy gently caress I'd seen the splash of 'STANDS FOR FRANCE' Cap but I didn't know he was brutally murdering some dude on the opposite page.

Huh. It shows up in your post and mine, which you quoted. It's basically Captain America goading Hulk into a rage by implying he's a sissy (gay). Frankly, I felt they handled this better in The Avengers movie.

Cap: And Hulk?
Hulk: Er?
Cap: SMASH!
Hulk: Grins. Smashes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Dyne posted:

Some dude was a murderous alien, so it's okay, I guess.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh. It shows up in your post and mine, which you quoted. It's basically Captain America goading Hulk into a rage by implying he's a sissy (gay). Frankly, I felt they handled this better in The Avengers movie.

Cap: And Hulk?
Hulk: Er?
Cap: SMASH!

That Hulk had a radically different personality than Ultimate Hulk, though.

I don't want to sound overly defensive of the panels, but UH is honestly a horrible monster (he ends up eating the dude cap is smashing in those panels) and you do whatever it takes to make sure he punches the person you need him to punch. The easiest way to do that is to make him insulted - he earlier killed a bunch of civilians because his girlfriend was dating Freddie Prince Junior.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah Ultimate Hulk is a different beast. It's actually really fitting that this raging small minded beast would get so insulted at such a comment

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
You think this "A" stands for "America"?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought it was neat that Millar showed Banner/Hulk had reached more of a balance by the end of Ultimates 2, making the Hulk considerably less monstrous, but then Warren Ellis ignored that for Ultimate Human and then nobody ever wrote Ultimate Hulk the same way as the last writer did.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bloody Holly posted:

You think this "A" stands for "America"?

Nothing at all! Nothing at all! Nothing at all!

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Another case where someone doesn't understand characterisation in a story.
I can't wait for you to get to big boy books.

CapnAndy posted:

2002 was a very different time and Millar has a habit of being tone-deaf to the bigotry he's inadvertently writing into his stories. I think if he actually lived in America instead of copying what he sees on TV and movies it'd be better, but there you go.

LOL. Because people can only understand bigotry if they live in America. Scandalous.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

caboodle posted:

LOL. Because people can only understand bigotry if they live in America. Scandalous.

Certain types are exclusive to the United States, yes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Certain types are exclusive to the United States, yes.
And when you try to write American culture but your entire idea of that is based on the simplified-and-turned-to-11 stuff you get off TV and movies and then you take that and simplify it and turn it up to 11 for your comic books, some distortion occurs. Like Kick-rear end beating the poo poo out of dark-skinned kids because they were graffiting a wall.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Phy posted:

Never forget:

As always, Nextwave is better.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

theflyingorc posted:

Ultimate Hulk, even more than regular hulk, is basically pure Id. He reacts exactly like I'd expect him to react.

Yeah, exactly. And Cap too: he's from 70 years ago, guys. What do you THINK army boys and tough-guy talk were like back in 1940? Politely giving trigger warnings and checking their privilege or whatever?

No, if "human being" was as commonplace an insult back then, they would've used it back then. Let's not kid ourselves here, a soldier from back then, even one as "heroic" as Cap, would use exactly that sort of language; real-life soldiers NOW are just as bad, if not worse.

New Avengers 1

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And if there's one thing superhero comics are about, it's dour, mean-spirited realism.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why anyone is upset about the captain america bit. If old movies and television have taught me anything it's that insulting someone's manhood was like the go-to insult if you really wanted to insult someone. Plus he was in the military and every fictional drill instructor I've ever seen depicted uses insults along the same lines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with this argument is that it boils down to "lovely people and assholes do this/did this, so it's realistic" when you're ignoring the part about it being the lovely people/rear end in a top hat part. There are plenty of people in the army, now and then, who managed to not be shitheads. There's no particular reason Captain America would need to be one, not even through realism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm not sure why anyone is upset about the captain america bit. If old movies and television have taught me anything it's that insulting someone's manhood was like the go-to insult if you really wanted to insult someone. Plus he was in the military and every fictional drill instructor I've ever seen depicted uses insults along the same lines.

Maybe they don't want pointless realism, in their colorful men beating each other books, I dunno.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Basically because Captain America is supposed to stand for the best of us, not the worst. He's a guy who fights for an ideal that he embodies.

Plus, you don't need to denigrate women and call men sissies to be a tough-as-poo poo officer in the military.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with this argument is that it boils down to "lovely people and assholes do this/did this, so it's realistic" when you're ignoring the part about it being the lovely people/rear end in a top hat part. There are plenty of people in the army, now and then, who managed to not be shitheads. There's no particular reason Captain America would need to be one, not even through realism.

Ultimates was a product of it's time. They are George W Bush's Avengers. No way a cynical guy like Millar was going to make any of the characters halfway pleasant, besides maybe Thor.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what super PC commune you grew up in where calling someone a sissy means that they are lovely people. I've literally never met a man, gay or straight, that hasn't called someone a wuss or the like. This really isn't an issue.

Have I wandered into tumblr or something?

Funny panel time!

Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine #2

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 9, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vindicator posted:

Basically because Captain America is supposed to stand for the best of us, not the worst. He's a guy who fights for an ideal that he embodies.

Plus, you don't need to denigrate women and call men sissies to be a tough-as-poo poo officer in the military.

And he is. Ultimate Cap, however, is an rear end in a top hat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm not sure what super PC commune you grew up in where calling someone a sissy means that they are lovely people. I've literally never met a man, gay or straight, that hasn't called someone a wuss or the like. This really isn't an issue.

Have I wandered into tumblr or something?

It really is PC gone mad stu.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Phy posted:

Never forget:

Ladies and gentlemen, your President of the United States.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Little Mac posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, your President of the United States.

Not MY President!

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kharmakazy posted:

the dictionary posted:

sis·sy
[sis-ee] noun, plural sis·sies, adjective
noun
an effeminate boy or man.
a timid or cowardly person.
a little girl.

If you can't figure out why this isn't a cool thing to call people in the 21st century, I don't know what to tell you. Have you wandered off reddit or something?

E: For content, I can only hope this reference amused others as much as it did me. Flash is teaching Spider-man how to defeat Arcade's robot using his skills at the unauthorized Spider-man fighting game.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 9, 2013

• Locked thread