Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

The Dark Wind posted:

Togg and Fanderay are the two wolves who were lovers and have finally been reunited. Togg was trapped in Toc's chest (I don't know how I am JUST realizing how similar their names are as I type this) and when he fell on the pole while Mok and Tool fought, he freed the wolf. The two wolves are in their own reality inside of the Mhybe's dreams. Is this reality a "warren" of sorts? Do all gods live in the dreams of sleeping women? Since K'rul was present for a lot of the Mhybe's life (Kruppe's dream, and the final entombment), does that mean that her dreams are part of his blood, if it is truly a warren?

Might be spoilers for later books, but I think this is all in the book you're reading:

Togg was one of those killed waaaaay back, I think when Kallor hosed up his continent, and Fanderary has been roaming the earth looking for him. Toc was tossed into the chaos realm when hairlock nuked Tattersail and that's where Togg's spirit was as well. They were kindred spirits enough that Togg tagged along when Toc was spit out at Morn.

The two of them have taken the Beast Throne, ie rulership of the Beast Hold, which is a more ancient, primal version of a warren. Confusingly, both warrens and holds exist despite being different and overlapping, and this is never fully fleshed out despite it the concepts getting more words later on. It's ~magic~ has to do with the how belief shapes myth and vice versa.

quote:

Also, Burn confuses me a little. I understand that she's asleep, but I usually see years like 1163 Burn's Sleep or something, and some of the cultures and creatures in the series are hundreds of thousands of years old. What happened in 0 Burn's Sleep, or the time before that? Is she asleep in another reality, similar to the Mhybe? Or should I not worry about all of this since it'll eventually get answered? Thanks!

Burn is never fully explained. You've got about as good a grasp on it as you should at this point in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Then you read FoD and everything you thought you knew goes out the window in the first 100 pages. Burn included.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Then you read FoD and everything you thought you knew goes out the window in the first 100 pages. Burn included.

I've had FoD on my Kindle for months, but have been putting it off so I could reread the series first given I hadn't touched it since TCG and was liable to have gotten fuzzy on some elder god details.

I'm now like halfway through DoD, and hearing that Rake throws Burn through a window is definitely going to speed this up.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

I've had FoD on my Kindle for months, but have been putting it off so I could reread the series first given I hadn't touched it since TCG and was liable to have gotten fuzzy on some elder god details.

I'm now like halfway through DoD, and hearing that Rake throws Burn through a window is definitely going to speed this up.

there's also the scene where anomander and hood totally make out with tongue and everything

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

there's also the scene where anomander and hood totally make out with tongue and everything

Oh man no wonder Rake was so upset later. You know what they say - the warren of death hath no fury like a tiste andii scorned.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
hard to cuddle with tusks all up in your melancholic grill

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Seven minutes in Omtose Phellack does tend to engender a chilly relationship.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
the dealbreaker was when the only thing hood got rake for their 50,000th anniversary was an ocher potsherd

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Dalmuti posted:

the dealbreaker was when the only thing hood got rake for their 50,000th anniversary was an ocher potsherd

What do you get for the Jaghut who has everything?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just finished Return of the Crimson Guard. A lot of poo poo happened and a lot of folks died and I just cannot muster up a drat. Esslemont's characterization just does not make me care about the characters. Even the characters from past books felt a little awkward. Having Laseen die in an Esslemont book is really baffling to me. Hopefully that will make more sense in the main series. Even though I wasn't so hot on this book, it's still worth it to see what's happening everywhere. I'm so ingrained in the world by now that I'd probably read a William Shatner penned Malazan book.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

uh zip zoom posted:

A dead white cat.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Just finished Return of the Crimson Guard. A lot of poo poo happened and a lot of folks died and I just cannot muster up a drat. Esslemont's characterization just does not make me care about the characters. Even the characters from past books felt a little awkward. Having Laseen die in an Esslemont book is really baffling to me. Hopefully that will make more sense in the main series. Even though I wasn't so hot on this book, it's still worth it to see what's happening everywhere. I'm so ingrained in the world by now that I'd probably read a William Shatner penned Malazan book.

This is also because the Crimson Guard are dumb and boring. The later Esslemont books are much better.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean, maybe there's more to it in later books, but Gardens of the Moon (though obviously rougher in terms of basic writing) wraps up most of it's plotlines very nicely while spending a few scenes setting up all the sequel-bait.

I don't understand the complaint, but I'd say GotM does an even worse job from that point of view.

On the last page there's mention of "plans" involving WJ that are even completely hidden in both DG and MoI, to the point that one needs specific rereads to make sense of them. There's absolutely nothing "unfinished" in DG, all the plots get a very nice closure, if not a definitive one.

In fact, contrary to the norm, Malazan book are really excellent in their self-contained way. All other series I've read do a much poorer job. Only exceptions are book six going into seven, and nine going into ten.

P.S.
Now I actually wonder if readers in this forum actually have the answer about that "plan". It's one of the trickiest parts of the series, since it's kept completely hidden.

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 23, 2013

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Do you mean how Quick Ben and Kalam want to assassinate Laseen and put Whiskeyjack on the throne?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Or how WJ eventually becomes the general of Hood's undead army?

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Sir Bruce posted:

Do you mean how Quick Ben and Kalam want to assassinate Laseen and put Whiskeyjack on the throne?

Yeah, pretty much. Usually when I ask there isn't so much consensus. But there are a number of little things that you can then find and that make sense.

One "flaw" in the series is that Erikson is so comfortable in the world he creates that sometimes he has a very POOR idea of the kind of information he put out there compared to what he gives for granted. This is one case. NEVER in the books there's an explicit mention that QB plan is to put WJ on the throne. It's a plot point that is kept incredibly opaque and yet it is fundamental to make sense of some important parts even in MoI. There's so much that clicks into place once you figure out that missing connections that Erikson simply failed to expose.

The "pebbles" that QB gives to Kalam for example were part of the plan. Kalam then uses them at the wrong time (on the boat), and in fact QB is rather pissed off when Kalam tells him he's nowhere close to Laseen yet. The idea was that Kalam would kill Laseen, then open the portal to QB, and QB would then drag over WJ without his consent. QB knew *perfectly* that WJ would have never accepted to sit on the throne. That's why in the epilogue of GotM QB decides to not tell WJ anything. YET he worries for this, and he worries after seeing WJ limp "Whiskeyjack's going to howl when he hears this one". So the plan was to bring WJ in when everything was already done so that he wouldn't be able to refuse. Interesting because you can see that Erikson was at least partially inspired by some events at the end of the Black Company trilogy.

And it's also quite fun because all Dujek/Tayschrenn conspiracies about worrying that WJ would replace Laseen were actually TRUE.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

uh zip zoom posted:

Anger Management classes?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Anger Management classes?

is that... jaghut humor?!

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Baruk the High Obamalchemist and his trusty demon servant Chillbong

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
About halfway through TtH:

RIP Mallet and Bluepearl. It always sucks to lose bridgeburners :( Now I just hope the rest get some sort of revenge on the guild/whoever hired them.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Dalmuti posted:

Baruk the High Obamalchemist and his trusty demon servant Chillbong

hahaha

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Reaper's Gale is setting up to be one of my favorites. Revisiting the cast from Midnight Tides wasn't something I was expecting to enjoy this much. Bugg and Tehol... :allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I just finished Blood and Bone, and I think I only got about half of what happened at the end. Can anyone help?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone ever seen any good fan art of Kalam Mekhar?

Googling was a mix of meh and :gonk:

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

victrix posted:

Anyone ever seen any good fan art of Kalam Mekhar?

Googling was a mix of meh and :gonk:

I don't know about fan art but this guy is way into kalam cosplay

http://goo.gl/k0H03

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dalmuti posted:

I don't know about fan art but this guy is way into kalam cosplay

http://goo.gl/k0H03

Not nearly burly enough :colbert:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Who would make a good Kalam if they ever did a movie/tv show of this series? Granted, it probably isn't worth thinking about, there's basically a zero chance of it ever happening. It would certainly be cool though.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Idris Elba? Deceptively big, as I discovered watching Luther.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Did Erikson ever explicitly describe his height? I know he repeatedly mentioned him being built like a (dancing) bear, but I can't recall if he was tall or short offhand.

Regardless, the world needs more WWE wrestler built knife assassins.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Brad Dourif would make a good Bugg. Not sure about Tehol.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

rejutka posted:

Idris Elba? Deceptively big, as I discovered watching Luther.

He'd be perfect.

Or LeBron James.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Tyrese Gibson

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Chyna.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Who would make a good Kalam if they ever did a movie/tv show of this series? Granted, it probably isn't worth thinking about, there's basically a zero chance of it ever happening. It would certainly be cool though.

I don't know the actors name, but the dude who plays Diggles on The Arrow would be perfect.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Terry loving Crews

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

By the by, when does post-Erikson novel shock wear off?

It's been more than two years, and I still find myself picking up and dropping other fantasy (and other genre!) novels in boredom :saddowns:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

victrix posted:

It's been more than two years, and I still find myself picking up and dropping other fantasy (and other genre!) novels in boredom :saddowns:

Never. You're damaged goods. The only thing you can read now is more Erikson.

And re: Kalam chat, I always pictured him as Doakes/Erik King from Dexter.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

And re: Kalam chat, I always pictured him as Doakes/Erik King from Dexter.

That makes certain parts of TCG hilarious - "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!" *stabstabstabstabstab*

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

victrix posted:

This was how I felt about music I had used to enjoy after getting into power and symphonic metal. It hit me one day when I walked into a sandwich shop that was blasting some lame, simplistic sounding rock piece and it took me a few seconds to realize that it was Crazy Train, one of my favorite Ozzie songs, and which I would not have typically described as 'simplistic.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

victrix posted:

I'm stuck in the same boat, and I haven't paddled my way to shore yet. I've picked up and put down A Dance of Dragons god knows how many times. In the two years since I finished TCG I think I've only read to completion ICE's books, the Bauchelain novellas and the first of Alastair Reynold's novels.