Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

The Kins posted:

Oshry is ever-so-slightly unhinged about 90s Apogee games in a way that I can admire from a safe distance. If anyone can dig up that game's code, it's probably him.

From another post of his: "Maybe some super cool devs will release the Blake Stone source code soon and a GL port will show up with shiny new graphics and mouselook! OMGAD ;-)"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/217140/discussions/0/846957366863383255/

Pretty much confirms it: Blake Stone Source Code SOON™. I wouldn't be surprised to see it right around/before the release of ROTT 2013.

vv yeah I should have been clearer: the code is coming soon, and I'd be willing to bet someone else picks it up to make a source port not long after that.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

Oshry is ever-so-slightly unhinged about 90s Apogee games in a way that I can admire from a safe distance. If anyone can dig up that game's code, it's probably him.

I'm friends with Dave. I'll check to see if he actually has it.

===

Yep. Confirmed. Dealing with legal stuff right now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

They're not releasing a source port, just the source code.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 3, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:smith: Seems project MSX has gone dark, not a peep out of the maker and its past the intended beta 2 release.

Anyone know any better?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

Reviving Blake as a cheesy 1970s sci-fi action thing would be fun as hell, but we should probably wait and see how Interceptor gets on with one obscure reboot first. :)

Yeah I'd be all for this. Also can't wait for RotT.

NovaPolice posted:

Edit: ZPC was as cool as its level design was awful. That giant bloody top thing is a machine designed to depopulate cities, and you can kill it by shooting scrap metal out of a improv railgun latched onto your seven-in-one pistol. You're psychic Jesus, and you can become more powerful the more kills-per-minute you get.

Man I tried playing ZPC so many times but that poo poo was just a goddamn mess. The levels were nothing but nonsense mazes with eye searing zebra textures and all kinds of poo poo. Awful.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Commander Keenan posted:

I'm friends with Dave. I'll check to see if he actually has it.

===

Yep. Confirmed. Dealing with legal stuff right now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

They're not releasing a source port, just the source code.

:stare:

That's the best bloody news I have heard all year. I cannot wait for all the talented source port people to tear into Blake Stone's source code.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

NoodleBox posted:

Okay then, here you are since these are just the cd images in .mds/mdf format this requires you to mount both your C and D (as a cd-rom) drives for proper installation and play, if someone wants to put together something akin to the Eradicator package that would be nice (I would if I knew how too)

One other thing I wanted to know is if someone here knew how to properly rip the music tracks, they're all in .DSF format and I've had no luck properly exporting them as anything else without the songs becoming a garbled, static-riddled mess of noises

I'm also debating whether or not I should put up my Rebel moon rising rips as well, not because of questionable legal status, but because it requires a windows 3.1/ 3.11 environment to install and run

I forgot to mention that if you want to run this in a decent resolution (not in a 320x240 box with gigantic black borders) you'll have to change dosbox's output to anything that isn't surface, if you try and run it on surface then it will always default to an un-resizable 320x240 resolution

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

NoodleBox posted:

One other thing I wanted to know is if someone here knew how to properly rip the music tracks, they're all in .DSF format and I've had no luck properly exporting them as anything else without the songs becoming a garbled, static-riddled mess of noises

I've cracked most of the formats in Last Rites for the most part, but .DSF is a mystery to me. I can't figure out whether it's PCM or some sort of module. However, if you really really want to rip the soundtrack, the setup program's sound test lets you play any sound effect or music track. I started ripping them this way by recording from the What You Hear setting in my mixer.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I have some crazy memories of Blake Stone. My mom didn't, and still doesn't, approve of violent video games, I pretty much had to trick my step-dad into getting me a copy at the local K-mart years and years ago. So, I pop it in and we're off to the races! At least, until Mom starts to hear the guys die in the game. Didn't last long in the house, but now every time my mom talks about how violent my video games are, she tries to emulate the sound of one of the enemies of Blake Stone dying, and it's hilarious.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DarkSol posted:

she tries to emulate the sound of one of the enemies of Blake Stone dying, and it's hilarious.

MEDIC!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Didn't some of the aliens also moan? I swear some of the aliens in my copy of "Blake Stone" also made this skeezy middle-aged-man moan.

EDIT: I wasn't crazy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=logSpEAjaoc&t=463s

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 5, 2013

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Quake dudes: there's a new singleplayer map "Backsteingotik", from sock. His promo picture:

And a couple more from me:

And here's the thread on Func_Msgboard with download link and discussion: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60948

sock says that he was trying for a spin on E3M5 "The Wind Tunnels", architecturally. I think the results are tasty. The combat is probably the standout bit though; the fight setpieces are composed in a really fun way. Although be warned, on Hard difficulty you'll definitely get some "unfair" surprises (which I actually appreciate, in small quantities).

Important note about Quake engines: Backsteingotik is meant to be played with Fitzquake 0.85 only. So that's what I used. I believe in the discussion thread there were some comments from guys who also tried playing it with Fitzquake Mark V (there are issues), and with QuakeSpasm (seemed to work).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So I went to freeminded.de to pick up some Blood mods. I grabbed Inherit the Earth and Zippy's Meltdown (which... isn't particularly good), as well as the three Ravenloft maps. However, I'm trying to see if I can put the Ravenloft maps into like, a mod with an .ini file and everything so that I can just make a shortcut and not have to muck about with .bat files or whatever. However, I have no real idea what I'm doing and when I try to start up this mod, Dosbox shuts down before the game's loading files bit pops up. Am I trying to do something stupid here or just doing it all stupidly?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

This is going to be a real longshot, but I'll try my luck anyway. Recently, I've picked up a copy of Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter through Ebay. I got the Euro version with English language support, since I like to play my games as they were meant to be. Trouble is, the Euro version is censored real hard. Having no blood makes it kinda hard to guess if you're actually hitting enemies or when you've hit them enough. I found an uncut patch on GameCopyWorld, but it's making my version crash when it should load up the starting menu.

So, I'm just dropping a line in here on the off chance that somebody can help me with having red pixels in my game. :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 7, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

catlord posted:

So I went to freeminded.de to pick up some Blood mods. I grabbed Inherit the Earth and Zippy's Meltdown (which... isn't particularly good), as well as the three Ravenloft maps. However, I'm trying to see if I can put the Ravenloft maps into like, a mod with an .ini file and everything so that I can just make a shortcut and not have to muck about with .bat files or whatever. However, I have no real idea what I'm doing and when I try to start up this mod, Dosbox shuts down before the game's loading files bit pops up. Am I trying to do something stupid here or just doing it all stupidly?

Check the .bat structure for Inherit the Earth and copy that but use the Ravenloft map names. You're basically creating a new "episode" when you string custom maps together like that.

Also I'm not sure if freeminded has the latest Inherit. Check ModDB.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is coming out tomorrow according to the remake's Twitter account. It'll be nice to finally have a source port that works out of the box instead of randomly corrupting your save games and forcing you to learn that you have to use a previous version to prevent it from happening. :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Check the .bat structure for Inherit the Earth and copy that but use the Ravenloft map names. You're basically creating a new "episode" when you string custom maps together like that.

Also I'm not sure if freeminded has the latest Inherit. Check ModDB.

I figured it out, the file name was too long. :downs:

Also, if there is a more up to date version of Inherit, ModDB doesn't have it.

Edit: vv Which, I know I've said this before, but I loving love that mod. Entirely why I picked up Inherit.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 7, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh duh yeah I was thinking of Death Wish, the much bigger, better, longer, newer mod from the same guy. :downs:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Project MSX Beta 2 just got released a little while ago. Get it while it's neat!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Project MSX Beta 2 just got released a little while ago. Get it while it's neat!

Sweet!

Also, that other big Doom gameplay mod is updating next month. Here's a (remarkably well produced) trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89iszJNcKQw

Reive
May 21, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy crap, he made the Godhand even more glorious than before!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Good lord that trailer does not need to be that long but I guess that's okay because loving :aslol: that song.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
All these announcements and and releases... it's almost a shame I'm toying with the SA Game Dev Challenge instead of farting around with Reelism some more!

(I've been farting around with Reelism anyway!)

Anyway, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux has arrived on Steam for :10bux:. It adds the expansion packs from the GOG version and a Megaton Edition-style source port that presumably won't wax your save games.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Kins posted:

Anyway, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux has arrived on Steam for :10bux:. It adds the expansion packs from the GOG version and a Megaton Edition-style source port that presumably won't wax your save games.

I'd love to hear how it plays, especially compared to the GoG version with bmouse.exe implemented.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I tried playing the free version and it just felt loving awful.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

What kind of issues are people talking about when they say they need bmouse.exe? Is it more of a general feel of the mouse control? I didn't have any issues with the free SW released on Steam, or Blood - I have played Build games forever and ever though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jblade posted:

What kind of issues are people talking about when they say they need bmouse.exe? Is it more of a general feel of the mouse control? I didn't have any issues with the free SW released on Steam, or Blood - I have played Build games forever and ever though.

They're talking about the hosed-up vertical mouse movement, but it's not like Build games played any better back when they came out.

Anyway, source ports like I assume this version of Shadow Warrior is using don't suffer from that problem.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yep pretty much but for some reason it feels extra worse in Shadow Warrior by default, don't know why.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Trip report: Shadow Warrior Classic Redux fixes the original's mouse problems. I got up to Dark Woods of the Serpent and was able to use vertical mouse movement with no problems. Save games also don't get randomly wiped. Autoaim is enabled by default, which made aiming a lot easier in the original. The new HUD is nice, but it takes up too much space for me. The only problem I've seen is that the stats screen at the end of a map won't go to the next level unless you constantly hit the space key. Looks like Lo Wang's animation on that screen fucks up.

If you liked the original but hated the technical problems, I'd pick it up.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 8, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Any idea how i can get project MSX to work with Doomseeker? Getting a script error unknown actor property when i try to host it as a server :smith:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Jblade posted:

It's not hyperbole to say that the game is completely unplayable for me using mouse-look. I'm half tempted to buy this new Steam edition if it fixes that, despite having the GoG release. Really should have asked for a refund.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Blake Stone Planet Strike source code now available for download.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

closeted republican posted:

Trip report: Shadow Warrior Classic Redux fixes the original's mouse problems. I got up to Dark Woods of the Serpent and was able to use vertical mouse movement with no problems. Save games also don't get randomly wiped. Autoaim is enabled by default, which made aiming a lot easier in the original. The new HUD is nice, but it takes up too much space for me. The only problem I've seen is that the stats screen at the end of a map won't go to the next level unless you constantly hit the space key. Looks like Lo Wang's animation on that screen fucks up.

If you liked the original but hated the technical problems, I'd pick it up.

How are the redone graphics? What exactly did they do?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

How are the redone graphics? What exactly did they do?

The only redone graphics in-game are the HUD, HUD text and icons for items in the HUD. They look nice, but the HUD takes up too much room in my opinion. The menu is all-new and looks great. There's a neat picture of Lo Wang on the left side of the screen that changes depending on if you're playing the base game or an expansion pack. It looks a lot better than the dull one the original had.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're not even advertising multiplayer support for Shadow Warrior, are they? I'm still waiting for them to put it into their Duke Nukem 3D port.

From DN3D's product page:

quote:

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition will continue to receive feature updates including Steamworks-enabled online multiplayer

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fallom posted:

They're not even advertising multiplayer support for Shadow Warrior, are they? I'm still waiting for them to put it into their Duke Nukem 3D port.

From DN3D's product page:

I would hope that, when they get stable netcode working for DN3D, they port it to Shadow Warrior. SW needs modern MP code as much as DN3D does.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
New Brutal Doom v19 trailer went up, alongside a release date set for August 9th.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ECBlake is being worked on now. I'm excited, ECWolf is my favourite Wolf3D source port. Hope we get Aliens of Gold and 3.0 soon.

Edit: I hope ECWolf gets RotT support soon too. I like all the extra bits in WinRotTGL, but it always, always crashes on me, plus it doesn't support very many resolutions.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 9, 2013

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The Brutal Doom trailer song sounds like something that should be used in a Devil-May-Cry-themed Doom mod.

I mean, I'm aware of Psychic, but that's more of DmC1's guns with an Undying/Bioshock style magic system that will never be updated again.

(dear someone; combine Zen Dynamics'/Action Doom 2's combos, Project MSX's dashing/charging attacks, and Brutal Doom's taunting/ball-shots to make Doom May Cry)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh my, aiming the Godhand downwards if you suck at landing the blow is just the best thing. :swoon: Now i want Back to Saturn X Episode 2 already Ghhnnnngh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a new beta release of Aleph One, the Marathon source port out, and the banner feature this time is support for the original Marathon 1 data files and behaviors (the modernized version of M1 that's been available for some time is a remake that isn't 100% accurate in some ways).

Honestly, this won't make a huge difference to anyone who doesn't remember the original game with sparkling clarity, but it's pretty neat that they pulled this off without the M1 source itself and considering that the M1 files are based on obsolete MacOS Classic formats.