Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
I'm in love with that Mono, figured that was going to be the highlight of the episode. Then they dropped the bomb with the F12. God what a spectacular car, I could listen to it all day :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hammond's bit was ok, but I didn't like the random destruction. It was cool, but it was clear that either the Crown Vic or the Merc would win so he had them both crash out to let the used to be British car win. May's bit was entirely useless. Two people running against a motorcycle through a building on a car show. It ended and I thought "Welp, they can't all be great" and looked at the time and saw how much was left. That Ferrari is pretty insane.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well technically the American car is a used-to-be-British car as well, if you read your history book. :haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Well technically the American car is a used-to-be-British car as well, if you read your history book. :haw:

Actually, the crown vic was made in canada, which is still part of the british commonwealth.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Is there no instrumental version of "Moon and Moon" available anywhere and it saddens me.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Haven't seen this, by my dad is from Pitlochry, and I know those roads well. Found last week's to be a bit dull (took 3 goes to get through it), but normally there's a standout episode per series so I'm sticking with it (also what else is there)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

e: Found the road here because i'm REALLY good at google. You can match up that road off to the right with the frame when clarkson says "it's motoring nirvana." http://goo.gl/maps/cYzyr

Oh, so not really that close to where I was on holiday. It looked very drat similar on screen, though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just watched Sundays episode, felt it was really good. At first I thought "oh great another Atom knockoff" I was worried it was going to have the same problems as the Caparo T1, then was surprised at how good it looks, and blown away by how good it behaves. A little backend slipping out is much more fun than perfect on rails handling.

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of the power lap board sorted by time per dollars/pounds to get an idea of what's fastest for the least money.

And when Clarkson said about the car in the review at the end "It could actually do with a little less power" I actually gasped!

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't like the trio being separated so often and I don't think I can knock it but the scripted feeling of the show seems to be getting more obvious.

I don't know who really won the Taxi race and James May didn't really put any thought into his segment.

But that's 11 years of TV for you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
James' segment was more something you'd see on one of his other shows. It would have fit better in Man Lab or something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To me May's bit felt like something they had all daydreamed about while working in that building. Its unusual shape, large size and maze-like corridors set their imaginations rolling - hell, there was already a little running track painted on the ground. Besides, who wouldn't want to run/ride/drive through their place of work like a maniac?

Clarkson got a little taste of it in his tiny car, May finished the job.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
They should've gone go karting in the building instead. That's actually what I was expecting. It'd be absolute madness of course, but awesome.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I really really hope they have an episode next year with May in the LaFerrari, Clarkson in the P1, and Hammond in the Porsche 918. They certainly alluded to it during the news segment. That would be one of the best episodes ever.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
God that taxi racing segment just didn't have any form of excitement in it at all. Nearly as bad as the crap Sweeny segment from last year. James' was just dull.
Nice Mono though.

Shame since last weeks episode was pretty good...

Jut fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 8, 2013

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I was surprised that Jeremy didn't say anything about the name "Mono" given how he goes off about ST whenever he reviews a Ford hot hatch.

I have to say though that I enjoyed each segment, even though one of them didn't even have a car. Maybe the fact that there were four segments (not counting news/SIARPC meant that none of them went on too long.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

pik_d posted:

I was surprised that Jeremy didn't say anything about the name "Mono" given how he goes off about ST whenever he reviews a Ford hot hatch.
It's not really A Thing in the UK.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Have to say that I also thought that the first episode was much stronger. Basically, everything that had Clarkson in it turned out pretty good, while Hammond's and May's segments were kind of boring and pointless. The taxi race was ok until it went obviously scripted while the BBC building race was just difficult to follow and silly (jumping through plate glass?). I also really hoped the guys would just race inside in karts or on minibikes at least.

Ak Gara posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of the power lap board sorted by time per dollars/pounds to get an idea of what's fastest for the least money.
Incoming :spergin:

Just quickly threw this together so sorry about the labeling. Unsurprisingly the three points at the top are Pagani/Bugattis, while the two in the bottom left corner are the Mono and Atom 500. The two lowest points at ~78 seconds are the Caterham R500 and Nissan GT-R, which does very well for being an actual usable car. For comparison, there's a Corvette in the bottom right corner as well. I can post the data I collected so far if anyone's feels like wasting more time :)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
With the taxi segment I wanted the typical do-various-challenges thing to happen, so I would actually know what the best taxi is.

My imagined challenges would be something like:
How many drunk passengers can you drive around/How easy is it to hose out the vomit.
Can someone in a wheelchair get in/out ok.
Performance on one of those ralycross type tracks
Fuel economy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Hammond's bit was ok, but I didn't like the random destruction.

That's kinda the point and exactly what happens in every one of Hammond's motorsport races.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Crankit posted:

With the taxi segment I wanted the typical do-various-challenges thing to happen, so I would actually know what the best taxi is.

My imagined challenges would be something like:
How many drunk passengers can you drive around/How easy is it to hose out the vomit.
Can someone in a wheelchair get in/out ok.
Performance on one of those ralycross type tracks
Fuel economy.

This would have been a great "buy a cheap car and make it into a taxi" challenge but they've been trying to get away from that stuff the past few seasons and it makes me sad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Galler posted:

That's kinda the point and exactly what happens in every one of Hammond's motorsport races.

That's all well and good, except his previous segments have race damage. This race was "And then the limo spins and goes off track. OH MAN NOW IT'S SOMEHOW ON THE TRACK AND LINED UP ACROSS IT! Then the Crown Vic drives through it lolololol" and then "WHOOOOPSIES! The Mercedes gets pushed off the track into this totally random tire ramp! So RaNdOm!"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yes it's completely unlike the motorhome race where they crashed motorhomes into each other repeatedly until one fell apart, or the bus race where they crashed buses into each other repeatedly until they flipped one. Also the airport vehicle race where they crashed airport vehicles into each other repeatedly until they flipped one while completely unscripted events happened like for example the fire truck spraying water all over the track or the food truck lifting its hopper into the air and dumping the contents.

It's just an excuse to crash a bunch of vehicles into each other while making jokes and I don't know why anyone would expect anything else or really want anything more.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You've got to be pretty dead inside to look at a limousine making lurid, semi-controlled drifts and think it's all so very terrible :qq:. Yeah that might not have been the best segment of Top Gear ever, but the limo had me howling with laughter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Galler posted:

Yes it's completely unlike the motorhome race where they crashed motorhomes into each other repeatedly until one fell apart, or the bus race where they crashed buses into each other repeatedly until they flipped one. Also the airport vehicle race where they crashed airport vehicles into each other repeatedly until they flipped one while completely unscripted events happened like for example the fire truck spraying water all over the track or the food truck lifting its hopper into the air and dumping the contents.

It's just an excuse to crash a bunch of vehicles into each other while making jokes and I don't know why anyone would expect anything else or really want anything more.

I don't remember the part where they set up an airport firetruck sideways across the track and then drove another truck through it. I enjoyed the parts where they smashed the cars up while racing. I didn't like the obvious setups to destroy the cars.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Is it just me, or has TGUK started ripping off ideas from TGUS in some bizarro world deja-vu?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MrChips posted:

You've got to be pretty dead inside to look at a limousine making lurid, semi-controlled drifts and think it's all so very terrible :qq:. Yeah that might not have been the best segment of Top Gear ever, but the limo had me howling with laughter.

I seriously need some GIFs of that limo powersliding around. It was spectacular.

doogle
May 24, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I seriously need some GIFs of that limo powersliding around. It was spectacular.

I watched and rewatched the first corner the limo took about 15 times before I continued with the rest of the episode.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I wonder which one of those ~touring car legends~ is the new Stig?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't remember the part where they set up an airport firetruck sideways across the track and then drove another truck through it. I enjoyed the parts where they smashed the cars up while racing. I didn't like the obvious setups to destroy the cars.

Hate to break this to you but the show has been nearly completely scripted for 20 seasons now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Galler posted:

Hate to break this to you but the show has been nearly completely scripted for 20 seasons now.

Not as poorly as that segment was.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Watching an older episode now, when the presenters talk about getting insurance quotes, and they come back at like 2/3k pounds...is that per year? 1/2 year?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's Britain. Per month.

:wotwot:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

I said come in! posted:

I had been dying to see the F12 review since last year. Was not disappointed. Jeremy Clarkson as always gave a great review.

I actually said to myself something I thought May or Hammond would say: "So, you're saying that the Ferrari would be better if it were worse?"

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

JPrime posted:

Watching an older episode now, when the presenters talk about getting insurance quotes, and they come back at like 2/3k pounds...is that per year? 1/2 year?

Whatever length of time it is it's pretty insane compared to insurance in the US.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

He's joshing, it's per year.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Is it just me, or has TGUK started ripping off ideas from TGUS in some bizarro world deja-vu?

The taxi race seemed more like it was ripping off Brainiac. Which is another show Hammond isn't particularly funny on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There are several types of segments that Top Gear likes to use. The taxi race starts with a fun premise and then unleashes some random mayhem. Is it contrived at times, yeah, but its also fun and it wasn't a particularly long segment so I enjoyed it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

webmeister posted:

I wonder which one of those ~touring car legends~ is the new Stig?
Why did they get a new Stig again?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I should also say that the Ferrari review was beautiful. Sometimes I get a bit annoyed by the color grading, heavy vignetting, and musical choices. But everything worked wonderfully in this review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why did they get a new Stig again?

The old guy, Ben Collins, outed himself in an autobiography. If you go back and watch older episodes, "touring car driver Ben Collins" features in quite a few of them, so it's quite possible that one of those guys is the new Stig.